let's talk '17

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

az91

Re: let's talk '17

Post by az91 »

PennZona20 wrote:Agreed. And I don't think it's likely he stays. More like 80/20 he goes when most are saying zero chance he stays.

You would think that Nba paycheck would be more fun than playing in Salt Lake City (Poetl) or Norman Ok (Griffin) or Tempe (Harden) but sometimes a sure fire lotto pick comes back for his soph season. It does happen sometimes. I refuse to just lock him in as gone just yet.

Now a kid like Ayton I would. He has stated as much and is the #1 pick when he leaves. That is of course if we even get him for one year. One thing is for sure if Lauri wants to stay we will have a place for him. Plenty of ships next year w Rays retirement and Trier certainly not coming back next year.

PJC
Ristic
Comanche
Alkins
Kobi
Lauri
pinder
Dylan

That's the absolute max not including the incoming class. I'm sure whether it's Lauri or one of Kobi or Rawle or Duce going back home we will prob have at least one defection. That means it's safe to take 5 kids coming in.

Ayton. Knock on wood
Barcello
Lee

That's a start. Scoop up McCoy and walker and call it a day.
What about Randolph?
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Didn't you also forget Talbot Denny? Or will he be gone after his recovery....he's a Senior already.

Also, Lauri ain't coming back....no chance....and I'd bet that if there was a chance that would exclude us from landing McCoy....but again, I'd bet the farm that Lauri is gone.....quite possibly Ristic too.

If we are lucky enough to scoop both Walker (likely) and McCoy (decent chance) then with no early defections (unlikely) and/or qualification issues (who the hell knows these days...) then we would be at 13 schollies.

With recent history of non-qualifications and transfers, I wouldn't be surprised if CSM is considering a 7 man class for 2017....or a 6 man class at least with keeping an eye out for a grad transfer.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Can someone explain the Dusan to Europe angle to me? One year from a degree; has the offensive game to at least make the kid think he has a puncher's chance at being drafted. He came to the United States for a reason obviously, just dont see a guy like that "giving up" with only one year left. It's not like he is going to be hurting for minutes, even if all our targets/commitments actually suit up and we only lose Lauri. I'd have to imagine that degree is invaluable to an at-minimum, bilingual young man, just in case basketball doesn't work out and he wants to open doors for a career in Europe OR the U.S.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

luteformayor2 wrote:Lauri has not stated that he is 1 and done yet, could stay
Bangkok Wildcat

NLI's?

Anyone actively monitoring the NLIs? I see that Barcello and Lee have sent theirs in....anyone else yet?
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Bangkok Wildcat

Thanks ME...just noticed this and was going to post it even though posting twitter from my iPad seems impossible for some reason....

Ayton anyone???
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Gonna be pretty irrelevant in the long term, but very surprised he signed a LOI. Def all in
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

If that Ayton picture was a little bit clearer you could read that contract...

I see a Coaching Changes clause, Eligibility Requirements, Recruiting Ban? After Signing
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

rgdeuce wrote:Can someone explain the Dusan to Europe angle to me? One year from a degree; has the offensive game to at least make the kid think he has a puncher's chance at being drafted. He came to the United States for a reason obviously, just dont see a guy like that "giving up" with only one year left. It's not like he is going to be hurting for minutes, even if all our targets/commitments actually suit up and we only lose Lauri. I'd have to imagine that degree is invaluable to an at-minimum, bilingual young man, just in case basketball doesn't work out and he wants to open doors for a career in Europe OR the U.S.
The only thing I got is the Brandon Ashley angle, possibly doesn't like school (I doubt that), or simply wants to start the clock on making professional basketball player money (more likely of a reason).
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Dusan seems more engaged than Ashley ever did. Ashley was always bright and articulate, a good interview, but he never gave the impression that he was having a great time in college. To me, Dusan sends that vibe.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
BE4RDOWN21

Post by BE4RDOWN21 »

From a small sample size, besides the obvious of Kadeem Allen, I see us losing Lauri for sure and slight possibility of Chance depending on how he performs the remainder of the season. I think Dusan stays and I don't think Kobi or Rawle will be NBA ready this year, especially with how deep this draft may be.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

HiCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Lonnie Walker closer 8-)
http://247sports.com/Player/Lonnie-Walker-81416" target="_blank

87% Arizona ;)

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/ ... redictions" target="_blank
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

BE4RDOWN21 wrote:From a small sample size, besides the obvious of Kadeem Allen, I see us losing Lauri for sure and slight possibility of Chance depending on how he performs the remainder of the season. I think Dusan stays and I don't think Kobi or Rawle will be NBA ready this year, especially with how deep this draft may be.
We're also losing Trier, but maybe that was assumed.

So in light of these recent posts, our '17 strating five could be

PJC
KS/RA
LW/BR
DR
DA

Bench: CC, IL, AB, KP, plus whichever two from above do not start.

On paper, next year's team looks better than this season's, but who knows?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Jefe wrote:If that Ayton picture was a little bit clearer you could read that contract...

I see a Coaching Changes clause, Eligibility Requirements, Recruiting Ban? After Signing
NLIs have for years had a coaching change clause where the recruit acknowledges that he is signing with the school, not with the coach, and that coaches leave all the time but the recruit is still committed to the school. Of course the NCAA waives that all the time.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

BE4RDOWN21 wrote:From a small sample size, besides the obvious of Kadeem Allen, I see us losing Lauri for sure and slight possibility of Chance depending on how he performs the remainder of the season. I think Dusan stays and I don't think Kobi or Rawle will be NBA ready this year, especially with how deep this draft may be.
The season is in its infancy and Kobi is raw and still has a ton of questions to answer given his size, but any GM/Scout/Exec who watched the MSU game had their eyes wide freakin open. Eyes are going to be on him all season. I think Chance will ultimately get there, but he's a 4-year guy.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:
The season is in its infancy and Kobi is raw and still has a ton of questions to answer given his size, but any GM/Scout/Exec who watched the MSU game had their eyes wide freakin open. Eyes are going to be on him all season. I think Chance will ultimately get there, but he's a 4-year guy.
I'd be thinking Kobi stands a decent chance of leaving. He has a ton of tools, and the draft isn't about being a finished product. Kobi has the raw ability that scouts will drool over. The biggest thing that would hold him back is being a bit of a combo at this point.

Chance would be making a really bad decision by leaving at this point. He is starting to turn potential into results, but not at the rate he needs to get drafted. I could see him leaving as a junior, maybe.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Beachcat97 wrote:

PJC
KS/RA
LW/BR
DR
DA

You think Dusan's going to start at the four?

I'd like to see:
Kobi (PJC, Barcello)
Rawle (Kobi, Walker, Randolph)
Walker or Randolph (Rawle)
Lauri (Chance, McCoy)
Ayton (Dusan)

Yeah, I know I'm being an optimist about Markannen, but we're due a break. Even that roster is a little thin either at the point or on the wing, depending on where you put Kobi.
Last edited by Puerco on Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Puerco wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

PJC
KS/RA
LW/BR
DR
DA

:lol:
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Oops, tou missed an edit!
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

PJC
KS/RA
LW/BR
DR
DA

On paper, next year's team looks better than this season's, but who knows?[/quote]

I can't imagine a scenario where DR plays the 4.

KS/PJC/AB
LW/KS/DS/AB
RA/LW/DS/BR
DA/KP/IL
CC/DR

Still, I have a hard time believing DR is back next year.
Hopeful that KS is on this team. If he is, I believe it will be at the 1.
Dylan Smith is a forgotten man, but he will have a year in the system and S&C program.
RA - wildcard
McCoy would have a tremendous role on that proposed roster, especially if DR is in Europe.

Could be a very fun team to watch. Only missing an RHJ/Gordon type defensive player. Maybe LW is that, but he does not seem to have the combo of size and length.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dcZONAfan wrote:
Puerco wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

PJC
KS/RA
LW/BR
DR
DA

:lol:
It's a bold strategy, let's see if it pays off.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

There's no way a senior DR doesn't start.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:There's no way a senior DR doesn't start.
Dusan cannot play the 4. I like the kid and he works hard by all accounts, but the idea of him dealing with a stretch 4 makes me shudder.

If Ayton is here, Dusan isn't starting over Ayton. That just isn't happening either.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

My 11/14/16 guess would be

PJC
Kobi
Lonnie
Ayton
Chance
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

UCLA now with the #1 class after signing Wilkes. We just need 1 more guy...
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Main Event wrote:My 11/14/16 guess would be

PJC
Kobi
Lonnie
Ayton
Chance

ME, are you assuming RA leaves? I realize there may be other factors for a player to leave. But if RA plays well enough to get drafted and AT can find the court this year... I am going to start getting very optimistic about '16/'17!
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

baycat93 wrote:

PJC
Kobi
Lonnie
Ayton
Chance

ME, are you assuming RA leaves? I realize there may be other factors for a player to leave. But if RA plays well enough to get drafted and AT can find the court this year... I am going to start getting very optimistic about '16/'17!
No I think Kobi takes his spot in the starting lineup at some point
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Main Event wrote:
baycat93 wrote:

PJC
Kobi
Lonnie
Ayton
Chance

If Kobi and Rawle both return, Kobi has a higher ceiling. Rawle just can't match Kobi's length and athleticism. If Rawle develops faster, he can hold the spot. If they develop normally, Kobi just wins out sooner or later.

I would be pretty happy with both returning as our wing starters, since it seems like PJC is the guy at PG.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Jefe wrote:UCLA now with the #1 class after signing Wilkes. We just need 1 more guy...
Looks like Wilkes found the perfect coach in Roll the Ball Out There Steve:
"Just watching them play, I see the players got freedom," Wilkes said. "And looking at their roster, seeing there was an opening for my position."
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Jefe wrote:UCLA now with the #1 class after signing Wilkes. We just need 1 more guy...
I like our class better than theirs, even if we add no one else.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Puerco wrote:
"Just watching them play, I see the players got freedom," Wilkes said. "And looking at their roster, seeing there was an opening for my position."
Add Wilkes to the list of Midwest guys that chose UCLA and never even met the head coach.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Main Event wrote:
baycat93 wrote:

PJC
Kobi
Lonnie
Ayton
Chance

Got it. All I know of Walker is what I have read... Is he good enough to start over RA?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Puerco wrote:
Add Wilkes to the list of Midwest guys that chose UCLA and never even met the head coach.
He does seem to have a pretty good idea of what's going on there, though.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

I'm pretty sure Wilkes was all about UnderArmor.

Premier Program in name, Premier City...

Helps their brand to have a star in LA.

He'll have freedom to put up empty stats and then bolt for the NBA after a year's worth of ESPN Los Angeles hype.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Really gotta hand it to UCLA, no matter what the shoebrand it is they wear they're hand delivered kids by that shoe company repeatedly.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Next year should be the year UCLA makes a splash nationally again. They'll have all of their big men back, no more Bryce, and lots of talent on the wings. They'll lose Lonzo, but they more than make up for it. I think their ceiling is lower this year than next.

As for us, we're going to be loaded next year. I really don't see any of our underclassmen leaving, save for AT and LM -- they're both gone. So that means we're looking at a roster that includes

PJC
Ayton
Simmons
Alkins
Ristic
Comanche
Pinder
Randolph
Lee
Barcello

And most likely Walker.

That's an elite roster if I've ever seen one. UW and OR are bringing in good classes too. Pac 12 hoops is heating up.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Under Armour? JMark and Choo Choo, you don't think Pops had a hand in this?
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

EOCT wrote:Under Armour? JMark and Choo Choo, you don't think Pops had a hand in this?
Anyone know for sure whether or not Kris is Jamaal--Keith's Son? I originally googled and saw two different post-questions to that effect where the replies were "yes". Now, checking Silk's Wiki I see he has two sons, both of whom attended Cal/Berkeley.

Anyone know the answer?
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

I hadn't heard of any connection to Jamaal.

I wiki'D it and see no mention.

Everything I heard suggests this was Under Armor.
Bangkok Wildcat

Looks like McCoy to Oregon is gaining a lot of momentum....http://247sports.com/player/brandon-mccoy-76126

Bummer.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:Looks like McCoy to Oregon is gaining a lot of momentum....http://247sports.com/player/brandon-mccoy-76126

Bummer.
Don't stress over it, just revisit occasionally. The crystal ball had Kobi pegged for Ohio state up until a few days before his decision if I remember correctly.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Does anyone know what McCoy's been saying about us? Has he taken an official to AZ? What's his relationship like with CSM?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Bangkok Wildcat

WildcatStunner wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:Looks like McCoy to Oregon is gaining a lot of momentum....http://247sports.com/player/brandon-mccoy-76126

Bummer.
Don't stress over it, just revisit occasionally. The crystal ball had Kobi pegged for Ohio state up until a few days before his decision if I remember correctly.
I get it Stunner.....trying to predict kids decisions on schools is not a perfect science, lol.....BUT, without any insider info, I do follow them, their dates of prediction vs. visit dates, % accuracy, trends, etc. in addition to what news / opinions I can find online.

Oregon is trending for McCoy and it looks like the best option for us is that he waits till Spring to decide? I don't know.

247 and their 'experts' is looking good for Lonnie Walker to UA at 87%, having finished his visits (last one was Syracuse Nov. 11), him not committing during or after the visit yet just now tweeting a tease 'decisions, decisions'.....

So I'm predicting Walker announces for us tomorrow or Wednesday before the deadline and us losing McCoy or him waiting till Spring.

So if we get Walker but not McCoy, anyone else that should be on the radar? I'm assuming we will have at least 6 schollies and quite possibly 7 to offer for 2017. Assuming we get Walker, that makes only 5 committed for 2017.

Thoughts?
Bangkok Wildcat

Beachcat97 wrote:Next year should be the year UCLA makes a splash nationally again. They'll have all of their big men back, no more Bryce, and lots of talent on the wings. They'll lose Lonzo, but they more than make up for it. I think their ceiling is lower this year than next.

As for us, we're going to be loaded next year. I really don't see any of our underclassmen leaving, save for AT and LM -- they're both gone. So that means we're looking at a roster that includes

PJC
Ayton
Simmons
Alkins
Ristic
Comanche
Pinder
Randolph
Lee
Barcello

And most likely Walker.

That's an elite roster if I've ever seen one. UW and OR are bringing in good classes too. Pac 12 hoops is heating up.
You left out Dylan Smith Beachcat97. With your list and Smith, that's only 11 including Walker. I'm not so sure about Ristic sticking around for his Senior year but I really hope he does.

Assuming no defects, or blows up and does a OND (i.e. Simmons is the only risk I think), or transfers for fear of playing time then we would have 2 more schollies open for 2017.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

That list also leaves off Denny which would make 13 scholarships with a Walker commitment.

Also, re: McCoy. I understand he is a top 10 recruit, but we really don't have room for him unless someone leaves (Ayton, Ristic, Commanche, Lee, Pinder).
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

gronk4heisman wrote:Also, re: McCoy. I understand he is a top 10 recruit, but we really don't have room for him unless someone leaves (Ayton, Ristic, Commanche, Lee, Pinder).
Some think Ristic will go pro after this season, somewhere abroad, maybe closer to his home. Ayton has to qualify. I'm confident that CC, IL, and KP will be in Tucson next fall.

If we're McCoy's first choice, Sean will figure out a way to get him on the roster.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gronk4heisman wrote:That list also leaves off Denny which would make 13 scholarships with a Walker commitment.

Also, re: McCoy. I understand he is a top 10 recruit, but we really don't have room for him unless someone leaves (Ayton, Ristic, Commanche, Lee, Pinder).
I don't think McCoy is the guy we would not have room for.
The Goat

Post by The Goat »

After how Ristic looked vs MSU I can't understand how anyone would think he would stand in the way of playing time for McCoy. Plenty to go around between Ayton, Commanche, and him.