let's talk '17

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Puerco

Re: let's talk '17

Post by Puerco »

gronk4heisman wrote:That list also leaves off Denny which would make 13 scholarships with a Walker commitment.

Also, re: McCoy. I understand he is a top 10 recruit, but we really don't have room for him unless someone leaves (Ayton, Ristic, Commanche, Lee, Pinder).
PJC
Alkins
Simmons
Smith
Ristic
Denny
Commanche
Pinder

Ayton
Lee
Randolph
Barcello

Walker
McCoy

I suppose that if we're lucky enough to get both Walker and McCoy then Denny's scholly will become available. He was supposed to be a one year player only, right?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Words getting around that Walker may be headed to Miami of all places.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

gronk4heisman wrote:That list also leaves off Denny which would make 13 scholarships with a Walker commitment.
I left off Denny because he is now a Senior Grad Transfer injured for the year. Do we know he will come back next year? What's our commitment to him for next year scholarship too?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:Words getting around that Walker may be headed to Miami of all places.
Seriously? Well, that frees up a spot for McCoy.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Words getting around that Walker may be headed to Miami of all places.
We have room for both. McCoy rumored to be favoring Oregon as well.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I can see McCoy shying away from a class with Ayton and Lee and Comanche on the bench, and am assuming Boucher is gone (though today was not a good day for the Ducks). I think he would be fine here, and would be in the mix ahead of Lee and possibly Comanche and Ristic, but there are a lot of potential bigs in our mix, even if Markkanen leaves. I can get him considering that in his eval. But...

...Walker is a perfect fit. We have everything needed to make a run, and always have room for another shooter. Randolph is big, as is Walker, so we could easily make room for both on the floor at the same time if they are as advertised. And what has this team missed more than a consistent shooting guard that could play on both sides of the court? Walker has the defense needed to break out immediately in a Miller system, can shoot from distance, and if Randolph was on the other wing, will get great looks.

If I had to choose one, it'd be Walker. He isn't a cold-blooded shooter, but he has the mechanics and is a very good shooter. He also has the length and D needed to play for Miller. Not to discount McCoy at all, but it seems to me we are always a shooting guard away (Nick was fantastic, but not a pure shooter).
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Not really seeing why Walker would choose Miami over AZ, unless he's got ties to Miami I'm not aware of.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Not really seeing why Walker would choose Miami over AZ, unless he's got ties to Miami I'm not aware of.
Really hard to swallow that a guy narrows his choices down to Arizona, Villanova, Kentucky, Syracuse, & Miami, and he has a guaranteed ride at any of those schools and somehow Miami comes out victorious. Doesn't jive at all.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Not really seeing why Walker would choose Miami over AZ, unless he's got ties to Miami I'm not aware of.
Really hard to swallow that a guy narrows his choices down to Arizona, Villanova, Kentucky, Syracuse, & Miami, and he has a guaranteed ride at any of those schools and somehow Miami comes out victorious. Doesn't jive at all.
I'm gonna keep the faith that he ends up at AZ.
az91

Post by az91 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
We have room for both. McCoy rumored to be favoring Oregon as well.
We can always count on you for some good news.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Jerry Meyer thinks its down to Miami and AZ for Lonnie Walker

https://twitter.com/jerrymeyer247/statu ... 0322347008" target="_blank
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Cats make cut for 5 Star PG Trevon Duval (although we presently don't rate in his crystal ball)

http://arizona.247sports.com/Bolt/Cats- ... G-49020044" target="_blank
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Lonnie Walker committed to Miami. Dumbest thing I've ever seen.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

“I liked the environment,” Walker said. “I meshed with the players, I meshed with the coaches really well and it was a great, great, great visit.” :o

http://caneswatch.blog.palmbeachpost.co ... -wildcats/" target="_blank
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Wow. That wasn't the ending to this recruitment most were expecting. 24/7 is worthless occasionally.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

We now know how KU felt with Ayton. Gotta move on
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

I didn't realize Nevin Shapiro got out of the clink...
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Walker commits to Miami, Miller to see Bowen today... Hmm... Remember, Miller is a witch.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

When does McCoy announce his decision? Or have we moved on from him too?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

84Cat wrote:When does McCoy announce his decision? Or have we moved on from him too?
McCoy might wait a while, which gives us an opening.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
The Goat

Post by The Goat »

I am annoyed that we have the number 1 recruit in a long time and we seemingly can't get any impact recruits to join him. Feel like other schools get a kid like that and they come flooding out of the woodwork where they are running away from us. Sigh.

And then it is going to be missing out on matching talents like Lauri and Ayton by one year. So instead of having one amazing year, we have 2 alright years.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

The Goat wrote:I am annoyed that we have the number 1 recruit in a long time and we seemingly can't get any impact recruits to join him. Feel like other schools get a kid like that and they come flooding out of the woodwork where they are running away from us. Sigh.

And then it is going to be missing out on matching talents like Lauri and Ayton by one year. So instead of having one amazing year, we have 2 alright years.
It's still early in the process man. And a lot of those "impact" recruits who join top dogs are going into situations where they can pretty much start right away. Wings may see Rawle and Kobi and the uncertainty of the Trier situation, plus who we have already brought it, and be a little hesitant. My gut says that Walker to Miami means Walker learned something in the last few days and went for Plan B.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

That's what I am thinking rg. Walker knows there is no room for him here.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

No room for him here? Am I missing something? Did we not just play a game with 3 scholarship back court players?
az91

Post by az91 »

Well, at least we are in a better spot than we were last year at the same time.
gumby

Post by gumby »

gronk4heisman wrote:No room for him here? Am I missing something? Did we not just play a game with 3 scholarship back court players?
All of whom are probably returning. Maybe an easier set up for him at Miami. PT, baby.

Moral of story: Don't count your Walkers until they step on campus (as signees).
Right where I want to be.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:No room for him here? Am I missing something? Did we not just play a game with 3 scholarship back court players?
All of whom are probably returning. Maybe an easier set up for him at Miami. PT, baby.

Moral of story: Don't count your Walkers until they step on campus (as signees).
No one really knows. If Rawle and Kobi stay, they will eat up the lion's share of wing time. If they leave, we would need a wing. It's the uncertainty of highly regarded prospects.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

gumby wrote:

Even if they all come back, that's three guys to play 3 positions. Plenty of time there even with Randolph coming (I would be surprised if Borcello cracks the rotation).

Edit: I guess Dylan Smith could get some minutes as well.
gumby

Post by gumby »

"Plenty of time" for some is not enough for others, especially those in a hurry.
Right where I want to be.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gronk4heisman wrote:
gumby wrote:

Even if they all come back, that's three guys to play 3 positions. Plenty of time there even with Randolph coming (I would be surprised if Borcello cracks the rotation).

Edit: I guess Dylan Smith could get some minutes as well.
Yeah, but all 3 guys are presumptive starters. Plus Brandon Randolph as a reserve along with Smith.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

If we get Kobi and Rawle back... losing Walker is not significant. Those are very big ifs. More likely we lose both than get both back.

Even if they are both back.. we do not have a true SF/WF on the roster.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

247 shows Bowen at 93% to MSU. We shall see...
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Jefe wrote:247 shows Bowen at 93% to MSU. We shall see...
Didn't we have a similar percentage for Walker?

Either way Bowen is Jason Richardon's cousin. It won't be easy.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Walker was 82% AZ

Year of the Poll!!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Jefe wrote:Walker was 82% AZ

Year of the Poll!!
This. I do think we'll add one more to our class. No idea whether it'll be Bowen or McCoy, which would be amazing, but it could be someone off our radar.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Year of the Poll!!
LOLOL
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:

Year of the Poll!!
This. I do think we'll add one more to our class. No idea whether it'll be Bowen or McCoy, which would be amazing, but it could be someone off our radar.
My guess is if we strike out on Bowen all focus goes to Hamidou Diallo, who has the option to enter the NBA draft if he so chooses.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

http://insider.espn.com/college-sports/ ... ssrankings" target="_blank

Not getting Walker cost us in the rankings. Need to add one more 4 or 5 star, and we'll be #1 again.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Beachcat97 wrote:http://insider.espn.com/college-sports/ ... ssrankings

Not getting Walker cost us in the rankings. Need to add one more 4 or 5 star, and we'll be #1 again.
Who cares???? Class rankings mean nothing...you get players that work in your system and fill positions of need..not to impress your ex-girlfriend with your shiny new class ranking
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

This makes no sense. UCLA didn't sign Walker, did they? So this had no effect on the rankings you posted. Also isn't it somewhat silly to care about the recruiting rankings anyway? Not getting Walker cost us in that we really could have used him next year.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

any signed NLIs?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Look on the last page. All 4 signed up

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruiting ... on-ira-lee" target="_blank
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

dcZONAfan wrote:

This makes no sense. UCLA didn't sign Walker, did they? So this had no effect on the rankings you posted. Also isn't it somewhat silly to care about the recruiting rankings anyway? Not getting Walker cost us in that we really could have used him next year.
They didn't sign Walker; they signed someone else, which bumped them up. Had we signed Walker, the rankings would not have changed. And if we sign Bowen, McCoy or another high level player, we'll be atop these rankings again.

No, they don't matter, but if you're like me, you like seeing AZ atop any rankings, however trivial they may be.
g32knights

Post by g32knights »

So, I teach in an alternative ed school in Reading, PA. One of students knows Walker's family. From what this student told me today, Walker's dad wanted him to go to Arizona the entire time. Then at the last minute his dad switched and said he wanted him to go to Miami, very interesting to say the least.
baconus66

Post by baconus66 »

One guy goes somewhere else and the whole board panics. Last I checked our class looked pretty good with or without Walker. I've got full faith in Miller
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

My hope on Bowen entirely stems from the fact he was strongly favored to Michigan State, then reached out to Arizona to recruit him and since he has shown genuine interest and Arizona has recruited him pretty damn hard.

If he was the lock for State, why wait? Why reach out for added interest? Why actually be interested in said new interest?

Roots are tough to transplant, but Miller has done this several times, including recently with Simmons and Alkins.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

g32knights wrote:So, I teach in an alternative ed school in Reading, PA. One of students knows Walker's family. From what this student told me today, Walker's dad wanted him to go to Arizona the entire time. Then at the last minute his dad switched and said he wanted him to go to Miami, very interesting to say the least.

Wonder what changed his mind? :?:
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

JMarkJohns wrote:My hope on Bowen entirely stems from the fact he was strongly favored to Michigan State, then reached out to Arizona to recruit him and since he has shown genuine interest and Arizona has recruited him pretty damn hard.

If he was the lock for State, why wait? Why reach out for added interest? Why actually be interested in said new interest?

Roots are tough to transplant, but Miller has done this several times, including recently with Simmons and Alkins.
This.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

baconus66 wrote:One guy goes somewhere else and the whole board panics. Last I checked our class looked pretty good with or without Walker. I've got full faith in Miller
Not really seeing a whole board panic. Just some guy who wants to win mythical recruiting class championships.

It sucks...we could always use shooters and he is a defense-ready wing. But if we get Bowen (longshot) instead, it will be a net positive.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Don't think Bowen is a longshot at all