Lauri Markkanen

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Beachcat97

Re: Lauri Markkanen

Post by Beachcat97 »

He is a straight scoring machine. Might be the best offensive player Miller's had.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

After three games? Really?

Derrick Williams and his 20ppg, 9rpg, and 56 3pt% says hello.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Puerco wrote:After three games? Really?

Derrick Williams and his 20ppg, 9rpg, and 56 3pt% says hello.
I doubt LM will surpass that 56%, which is insane, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if LM makes far more 3pt shots than D-Will did in that season.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

RaisingArizona wrote:I don't really get the hype RE: Josh Jackson. Granted it's a small sample size with his foul trouble and so few games played, but as far as the NBA is concerned what exactly makes him so special. I can see that he's a freak athlete, excellent ball handler and creative passer but I don't think that jump shot of his is ever going to be above average. His profile reminds me of RHJ in a way and while we all know that Rondae was drafted too low and that Jackson is likely a better NBA prospect I don't think that there is that big of a difference. Lauri is a better NBA prospect than Jackson IMO.

Fulz is the one freshman I'd consider swapping Lauri for.
I take it you didn't watch the McDonald's All American game. May have been the most talent-filled McD's game ever and Jackson was head and shoulders above every guy on that court, and you only needed about five minutes to see that. Andrew Wiggins also had some struggles early in his freshman season; he is now 21 years old and averaging almost 26 per game in the NBA. I know he gets comped as a Wiggins (or a McGrady), but I am actually more impressed with Jackson as an all around player than Wiggins. There are certain guys you watch when they are high school seniors who just have "it" and going to be stars in the league. Jackson is one of those players.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Two things: we are comparing a freshman to a sophomore; and Lauri is offensively more skilled than D-Will was.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
His PER is astronomical. 33.0 is up there with the best seasons MJ or LeBron ever had. Yes, it will probably decline, but still...even being mentioned with those guys is huge.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Mr Automatic. Shoutout to Chance for being on that list. Attention, Arizona guards/wings, 3 big men in the top 30 and one of them is the top overall. Hint hint.

Very surprised to see Rawle on there, though I didn't catch the last game so I missed what he did.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

He needs to touch the ball on every offensive set. Period.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

rgdeuce wrote:Two things: we are comparing a freshman to a sophomore; and Lauri is offensively more skilled than D-Will was.
I think Lauri would perform better in the NBA, TODAY, than D-will.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:Mr Automatic. Shoutout to Chance for being on that list. Attention, Arizona guards/wings, 3 big men in the top 30 and one of them is the top overall. Hint hint.

Very surprised to see Rawle on there, though I didn't catch the last game so I missed what he did.
Chance dunks the ball, makes straightforward post moves and doesn't turn it over. That will get you a long way.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

dcZONAfan wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:Two things: we are comparing a freshman to a sophomore; and Lauri is offensively more skilled than D-Will was.
We're also comparing three games' worth of delivery, mostly against cupcakes, to an entire season. We'll see whether he's more skilled or not, but I count being able to dunk any time you receive a pass below the free throw line as a skill, so...

About the NBA... Hard to predict. Remember the NBA thought highly enough of DWill to make him our highest draft pick ever.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

dcZONAfan wrote:
Ehh, I'm gonna pump my brakes on that one lol. D-Will has five NBA seasons under his belt, learning how things operate in the league. Lauri is still learning the level below and really hasn't been tested outside of one game.

D Will is such a curious case though. His struggles and inconsistencies make sense, but then he will have a huge night against someone he shouldn't and it completely throws reasoning out the door. I was COMPLETELY wrong with how I predicted his pro career would turn out. I didn't think the whole tweener thing was going to be a non-factor. He is still athletic for his size; in college he didn't have problems switching on wings on the perimeter, he rebounded well, he shot extremely well from outside and was not streaky/inconsistent, he had a knack for being in the right place at the right time and knowing where he needed to be to get buckets, he finished well and with both hands, etc. I mean, I could see where the tweener worries came in and could be something that would bring him back down to earth, but this was a guy who just looked like a great ballplayer period, who stepped up and was at his best as the competition got better. The work ethic seemed evident, a guy who went from a 3/4star unheralded prep to arguably the best player in college his soph season, who even made huge strides from his frosh to soph seasons. He seemed like a guy who would overcome the tweener disadvantage. I dont know, maybe he lost that chip on his shoulder once he got that #2 pick money and fulfilled his childhood goal? Lauri on the other hand, is beating just about everyone in his size range in multiple categories/physical attributes.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:Mr Automatic. Shoutout to Chance for being on that list. Attention, Arizona guards/wings, 3 big men in the top 30 and one of them is the top overall. Hint hint.

Chance dunks the ball, makes straightforward post moves and doesn't turn it over. That will get you a long way.
Now that you said this, I now know why I like Chance so much. He's a throwback 1990s NBA backup center.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

And just imagine when AT returns. He can drive and kick to LM, or vice versa. LM can pick and pop. Could end up being the best scoring duo in the Pac.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Now that you said this, I now know why I like Chance so much. He's a throwback 1990s NBA backup center.
Chance seems to have adjusted to something I love in a player. He doesn't do a ton, but he knows what he can do, and he does it a lot. Make short shots, don't dominate the ball, hit the boards and play D. That player will ALWAYS be an asset. That's who I see Chance developing towards.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

CBS Frosh Reportcards
http://www.cbssports.com/college-basket ... s-reports/
Lauri Markkanen, Arizona

What he's doing well

Effort
Versatility
Being 7-foot
Shooting

For starters, he's seven feet and shooting 38 percent from three, 56 percent from the fields, and ... wait for it ... 96 percent from the line. And he's scoring just under 20 a game. Crazy numbers. Crazy athleticism. Soft touch around the rim and in the mid-range.

Markkanen has really good floor awareness and a basketball IQ that allows him to naturally find the open spot on the floor. Every time I watch him he's diving like a swan all over the court. I love his effort and the gritty attitude he brings to the floor for the Wildcats.

What needs work.

Rim protection
Production in the paint
Physicality

OK, so he's seven feet and can shoot, but he struggles in the areas you would assume seven footers would dominate, in the paint. He has just two blocked shots on the year and isn't changing many others. He weighs in at 230-pounds, but could still stand to add some meat to his frame that would help him down low. At times he can get bullied, and so far, he just hasn't been the kind of consistent paint presence that will make teams think twice about attacking.

Report: He could definitely stand to improve his post game, and don't get too caught up in his impressive numbers just yet -- he scored 26, 22 and 17 against Cal State Bakersfield, Sacred Heart and Northern Colorado, respectively. Not exactly the kind of competition he'll be facing in the Pac-12.

That said, he can play, and he's shown that, giving Arizona the boost it's needed with Allonzo Trier still on the shelf. He was a productive part of the Wildcats' thrilling season-opening win over Michigan State.

Grade: B
KOQSTRONG

Post by KOQSTRONG »

threenumberones wrote:CBS Frosh Reportcards
http://www.cbssports.com/college-basket ... s-reports/
Lauri Markkanen, Arizona

What he's doing well

Effort
Versatility
Being 7-foot
Shooting

For starters, he's seven feet and shooting 38 percent from three, 56 percent from the fields, and ... wait for it ... 96 percent from the line. And he's scoring just under 20 a game. Crazy numbers. Crazy athleticism. Soft touch around the rim and in the mid-range.

Markkanen has really good floor awareness and a basketball IQ that allows him to naturally find the open spot on the floor. Every time I watch him he's diving like a swan all over the court. I love his effort and the gritty attitude he brings to the floor for the Wildcats.

What needs work.

Rim protection
Production in the paint
Physicality

OK, so he's seven feet and can shoot, but he struggles in the areas you would assume seven footers would dominate, in the paint. He has just two blocked shots on the year and isn't changing many others. He weighs in at 230-pounds, but could still stand to add some meat to his frame that would help him down low. At times he can get bullied, and so far, he just hasn't been the kind of consistent paint presence that will make teams think twice about attacking.

Report: He could definitely stand to improve his post game, and don't get too caught up in his impressive numbers just yet -- he scored 26, 22 and 17 against Cal State Bakersfield, Sacred Heart and Northern Colorado, respectively. Not exactly the kind of competition he'll be facing in the Pac-12.

That said, he can play, and he's shown that, giving Arizona the boost it's needed with Allonzo Trier still on the shelf. He was a productive part of the Wildcats' thrilling season-opening win over Michigan State.

Grade: B
Why does this guy write off who we played and he scored against and docking his grade because of it when Lonzo Ball has played against absolutely NOBODY in Pacific, CSUN, San Diego and Long Beach State and gets an A? Lauri had a solid game against MSU as well but no mention of that. Ridiculous.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

So, one of his strengths is being 7 foot, but he struggles in areas you assume a 7 footer would excel?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

This is what happens when you decide on an arbitrary grade first and then retroactively try to defend it.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dcZONAfan wrote:
RaisingArizona wrote:I don't really get the hype RE: Josh Jackson. Granted it's a small sample size with his foul trouble and so few games played, but as far as the NBA is concerned what exactly makes him so special. I can see that he's a freak athlete, excellent ball handler and creative passer but I don't think that jump shot of his is ever going to be above average. His profile reminds me of RHJ in a way and while we all know that Rondae was drafted too low and that Jackson is likely a better NBA prospect I don't think that there is that big of a difference. Lauri is a better NBA prospect than Jackson IMO.

Fulz is the one freshman I'd consider swapping Lauri for.
It's been 3 games. And he doesn't need to be the man on that team. Snap judgement much?
Right on cue:

http://basketball.realgm.com/player/Jos ... Logs/52032" target="_blank

He looked really good in their KC tourney.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Lmao @ Lauri getting a B grade.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

All I need to know (other than how good he is with scissors in his hand and a net to cut down), I saw in the last week...

Lauri, a 7 footer, goes left from the angle right, off the dribble, beats his man who accelerates to catch up, so Lauri drops a spin move right and lays it in...and it finishes. (A 7 footer with footwork and dribble, who finishes)

Lauri pops off a pick, doesn't have the shot. He gives the ball up, runs more action, pops to the top of the key, gets the ball, two dribbles, squares and hits a 16 ft jumper. (A 7 footer with a jump shot, and though any shot is open for him, recognizes the importance of shot selection. More display of his ability to dribble, and to dribble to shoot, which is rare for even guards).

Lauri runs action, PJC keeps ball when Lauri is not open, drives right, keeps dribble, and curls under the basket. Lauri does not drift, does not watch, does not slam the glass for a rebound, bringing defenders to the ball. He shuffles to clear space, looks to get an angle, and when PJC winds up under the basket, Lauri takes two hard steps to the left elbow area, and presents for the pass, giving PJC a clear target. Lauri catches and throws in a near push shot from 15' (Court awareness, understands spacing, stays in the play and finds a perfect angle to set down in and give PJC an option without drifting too far behind 3 where the pass would be stolen, or coming into the block area causing congestion. Oh...and he made a 15' shot look like Nerf Hoop in your bedroom).

Lauri follows a shot, ball is loose near the right sideline in a game that the Cats have a decent handle on, but is still undecided. 7 foot Lauri dives to the ground to get the ball, splitting two smaller defenders, beats the lower stature guys to the ground, hammers the ball away, then instinctively delivers not a quick time out or desperation pass from a seated position destined to be stolen, rather delivers a perfect ball to the high block that triggers a quick two on one game between Pinder and Ristic (I think). (7 footer willing to go to the ground at a point in the game where it wasn't vital, and not only is willing, but effective, quicker than his smaller counterparts, and has vision from his seated position to deliver an effective pass)

Lauri has the ball on the angle right, drives toward the baseline, beating his guy just slightly. With smaller defender leaning across his body catching up to the right dribble, Lauri picks up the dribble, jump steps while twisting his body slightly into a square shooting position with his left foot slightly behind, and shoots a fadeaway (a FADEAWAY FROM 7 FOOTER!?!?) from 12-14' that snaps the net (So much here...first, a 7 footer on the drive is still amazing. Then, with his momentum going full right and his defender scrambling to recover and pinch him on the baseline, Lauri recognizes he is not going to clear the defender on the baseline, jump stops his 7 foot frame from full tilt drive to a perfect set position with his left leg slightly back, and pushes off the leg to correctly shoot a slight fadeaway to adjust for his momentum pulling him forward/right. How often do you see an athletic, body control forward do the same and still fade to the right, causing the shot to drift? Not Lauri...he not only had the body control of a 6 foot PG, he smartly used the slight fadeaway to straighten everything up).

None of these plays were highlight dunks (though his alley-oop dunk was pretty remarkable in just how high above the rim he was). None of them were really obvious "get up and shout" type plays other than maybe him diving on the floor. But the basketball players understood...one of the really fun things to watch in the Sacred Heart game was how the bench was reacting to these things he was doing that looked so fluid and natural, therefore not remarkable, but were ridiculous for a 7 footer to do. When he hit the shot off the left dribble after the initial action didn't work, the bench was jumping up like it was either a close game or a walk on in the game. They were just losing it. He later hit a step-into-the-shot three and I thought Zo was in danger of tearing an ACL. When he went to the ground and got the ball to Pinder for the 2 man give and go, the look on Chance's face was one of total awe. They know...the players know. They know they are seeing something pretty unreal. It looks normal on the TV because he is so fluid and proportioned that it looks normal. But it is anything but...
gumby

Post by gumby »

Was he ill on Thursday? Didn't look "right." Low energy, like Jeb.
Right where I want to be.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I don't believe the officials conspired to fix the game against Butler. But what I'm concerned about is the usual west coast quick whistle against players with a size advantage, including Alkins. And I'm very concerned about the west coast whistle against the 7-footer, now made worse by an almost unprecedented mobile, all-over-the-floor 7-footer. And I'm very, very concerned about Markannen taking the lesson that he needs to play like a stiff to stay in games. The refs left him alone against Butler as long as he became a pole on defense (though not when an out-of-control ball handler crashed into him) and stayed away from the action on offense. The whistles came fast when he impacted play on the floor.

Markannen had this look on his face like, "Excuse me, is this what you call basketball where you're from?"
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Two of those "fouls" were downright travesties. Those refs should be ashamed of themselves.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote:Two of those "fouls" were downright travesties. Those refs should be ashamed of themselves.
But even Tarc often had two such fouls per game.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

3 of his fouls were bullshit. I literally laughed out loud on his 4th
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Main Event wrote:3 of his fouls were bullshit. I literally laughed out loud on his 4th
Was that the spin move? The Butler player had Duke levels of flopping on that one.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

His fifth foul really cost us the game. The behind the basket replay showed clearly that flopping defender jumped in front of him to cause the contact.

His fourth foul was a joke.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

It's like the officials said, "Okay, this player here is on a different level than everyone on the floor. Let's remove that advantage and make this fair."
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Chicat wrote:Two of those "fouls" were downright travesties. Those refs should be ashamed of themselves.
The reffing was a travestshammockary. Butler was flopping all over the place. PJC ran by a 3 pt shooter who fell down and was rewarded with a FT. This game should be the model on how not to officiate.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I'm in Reno, and saw the CATS as a 1.5 pt dog to Butler.

So I put 20 down for the CATS to win outright.

LM gets 2-3 terrible "fouls" and his gone with 6 minutes to go.

Ballgame.

makes you wonder.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Daryl Zero wrote:
The reffing was a travestshammockary. Butler was flopping all over the place. PJC ran by a 3 pt shooter who fell down and was rewarded with a FT. This game should be the model on how not to officiate.
Yea it was horrible. So frustrating. You would think that refs, being around the game all the damn time, wouldn't fall for as many flops and other various tricks that players pull.
gumby

Post by gumby »

It was frustrating. I think coaches are teaching players to drive into the thigh of whatever player hedges, forcing the ref's hand. LM rung up two that way, and will continue to if that's how the game is taught now.

Grr.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Daryl Zero wrote:
Butler figured out that if you just threw yourself into someone, you'd get a call. They got 2 on Lauri hedging just by throwing themselves into his body.

They literally shot a freethrow on every possession from 2:18 onwards. Two were intentional fouls, but come on.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Teams are going to be doing that to Lauri the rest of the year. On every hedge, lower your shoulder and go straight below his hip until you get a whistle. Just get one or two of those in a game and u can completely take one of the best players in the country out of every game. The first hedge was technically the right call but one of those early cheapies that you can call on most possessions. The second was ridiculous, Lauri was a little late but still there before the dude lowered his shoulder and pretended Lauri was a tackling sled. Either no call that or call an offensive foul.

There were at least two others in the second half where things started becoming obvious too me. It was like they were waiting for anything where they could blow their whistle on him. He was walking on egg shells the whole game and being smart on D and they stil effed him. Miller is going to have to adjust. I love hard nosed, player X has four fouls so give his man the ball and go at him. But i cannot stand this whole, this guys a beast everyone flop and drive into him any time hes in a play and lets take him out. And the refs fall for that chicken shit crap play too.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

PS. How many was Lauri finishing with had he not been taken out of the game? I was super pissed because I have been raving about Lauri and that was my dad's first time seeing him. He couldnt believe his talent and said something like, "this guys going for 30 plus." He picked up foul 2 a possession or two later.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Those calls should have never been called. I cringe every time I see our bigs trying to hedge. I personally think it produces more fouls than anything else.
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Daryl Zero wrote:
Butler figured out that if you just threw yourself into someone, you'd get a call. They got 2 on Lauri hedging just by throwing themselves into his body.

They literally shot a freethrow on every possession from 2:18 onwards. Two were intentional fouls, but come on.
I do think Lauri is late on some hedges. Those 2 fouls weren't the bad calls.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
ALASKACAT

Post by ALASKACAT »

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... faf2a.html" target="_blank (Part 2)

Any one see these nicknames for Lauri from a Finnish reporter?

Baby Dirk
The Finnisher
The Machine
The Big Finnish
White Death (My Favorite.)
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

ALASKACAT wrote:http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... faf2a.html (Part 2)

Baby Dirk
The Finnisher
The Machine
The Big Finnish

My favorite of that list: The Finnisher
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

Big finnish - works for me
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

If he turns into our leader, do we become Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch?
gumby

Post by gumby »

ALASKACAT wrote:http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... faf2a.html (Part 2)

Baby Dirk
The Finnisher
The Machine
The Big Finnish
Seasoned Salt.
If Trier returns, he can be Pepper. Or Pepa.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote: Seasoned Salt.
I think that might be racist.
gumby

Post by gumby »

We should've never ended the salt talks.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

:lol: @ white death.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I love that White Death is catching on - pretty sure it started in the Reddit game threads (which are usually pretty fun, feel free to join).

I'm also partial to The Markksman.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

YoDeFoe wrote:I'm also partial to The Markksman.
Ooh, I like that...