Parker Jackson-Cartwright

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

97cats

Re: Parker Jackson-Cartwright

Post by 97cats »

KaibabKat wrote:Perhaps PJC didn't play like Mike Bibby tonight but he was not the reason that we lost this game. Chance Comanche and Keanu Pindar both had their worst games of the young season but nobody seems to be pointing fingers at them.
if AZ is relying on Chance Comanche and Keanu Pindar to beat Butler on a nuetrql floor, Sean Miller has bigger problems.

plenty of blame can be spread around, but unsteady and soft PG play is a major problem. Especially down the stretch of games.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

97cats wrote:he was not good in the last 2:30, at all.

skin that as you may.

Fixed it for you.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Yeah except for that layup to put us up 4 with 2 mins to go. Soft. Not good at all.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
97cats

Post by 97cats »

PennZona20 wrote:

skin that as you may.

Fixed it for you.
i don't agree
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Olsondogg wrote:Yeah except for that layup to put us up 4 with 2 mins to go. Soft. Not good at all.
one play for any player doesn't make a game. Cartwright is uneven and small with an off shot which is a bad trio when you turn the ball over late in games.

i have no confidence in him in the tough games. None
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

97cats wrote:
PennZona20 wrote:

skin that as you may.

Fixed it for you.
i don't agree

Then your bias and bitterness for PJC and his team being the reason we didn't get a high-potential prospect like Thorton is showing.

PJC certainly isn't TJ, but he can be good enough for a final 4 w some improving and some help from the supporting cast. I do worry he's just not enough of a killer though. He just doesn't seem confident enough in his shot when he shoots it. And those turnovers late were God awful.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

PennZona20 wrote:
PJC certainly isn't TJ, but he can be good enough for a final 4 w some improving and some help from the supporting cast.
see, we just disagree.

more Trier god help us all
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

97cats wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:Yeah except for that layup to put us up 4 with 2 mins to go. Soft. Not good at all.
one play for any player doesn't make a game. Cartwright is uneven and small with an off shot which is a bad trio when you turn the ball over late in games.

i have no confidence in him in the tough games. None
Yeah we know you don't. You discount any positives at all in his game, or negatives of anyone else in the game. I know he must have made KA miss those FT or let this man get to the rim and foul him for an and 1.

Someday this year you'll eat a ton of crow. Hope you can do it with a smile instead of personal insults.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
97cats

Post by 97cats »

i haven't insulted once, I've critiqued a player, who in my opinion is not good.

if that changes, I will be the first in line.

however, I have zero confidence in that.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Haven't insulted on THIS board...
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Olsondogg wrote:Haven't insulted on THIS board...
stop your whining

Cartwright is not a player I have confidence in to date.

you disagree, fine

I don't have to agree with you.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Likewise. And I also don't need feel the need to beat the same drum over and over.

Looking forward to hearing who the worst player was on both ends of the floor every night.

Thanks for the critique
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

:lol:
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

97cats wrote:i haven't insulted once, I've critiqued a player, who in my opinion is not good.

if that changes, I will be the first in line.

however, I have zero confidence in that.
For that "first in line" to be true, you have to acknowledge that he's had good games so far this year. If you only pop in after losses or nail biters and critique/blame only PJC, it will strike many as an axe to grind. If you're going to be silent during a stretch of wins where he had a 10-1 TO/A ratio, it's hard to claim objectivity when you want to talk about him having a mediocre or bad game.

Much like with Rise&Fire who has a hard-on for Miller and the packline, but absolutely refuses to acknowledge when coaching or defense wins us games. Largely he's ignored and made fun of because he's become a sort of parody. You're obviously far more knowledgeable than that joker, so it would pain me to see people treat your posts the same way.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

he's had two good games this season, IMO -- and it was against Sacred Heart and NoCo.

he has been abysmal in several others including last night.

my point, he's a good back up player and nice young man, but he's not a 30+ min PG guy on a final four contending team, IMO.

that's almost all of which I've said for the better part of three years now. last night in another physical and hard fought tight game he came up zeros AGAIN when AZ needed him most.

people can disagree, that's more than fine, but I don't see it with him nor do I get it.

Cartwright will have his occasional "great" game at home, but largely he is outmatched against stiffer competition.

and this isn't an attack on the young man as it is on the coaches, mainly Miller, who have put all their eggs in the Cartwright basket.

to me that's the rub, as the coaches know his limitations.

i hope I'm wrong, but to me Cartwright is far from the PG thats going to pop millers final four cherry. if I'm wrong, line me up -- and if I'm right, I won't say I told ya so.

deal?
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

I agree with 97. PJC is just too soft/small/not good enough to lead us to a title. Wichita State and last night's game are proof enough for me. Can't have your PG getting ripped and not being in control when the game is tight.
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Actually, this was the first game where I felt that PJC is good enough and he has been showing this in the last 3 games.

The one thing I applaud Butler for is switching to a 1-3-1 zone at the end of the game. The team and PJC sputtered against it but I see that as a learning experience. Up to that point, I thought PJC was doing really well.

Part of that is on Miller because (and this is one of the things I think he does badly as a coach) is that he uses all the time outs long before the end of the game. That made the 1-3-1 even better because it was done after Miller burned the last TO.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote:
KaibabKat wrote:Perhaps PJC didn't play like Mike Bibby tonight but he was not the reason that we lost this game. Chance Comanche and Keanu Pindar both had their worst games of the young season but nobody seems to be pointing fingers at them.
if AZ is relying on Chance Comanche and Keanu Pindar to beat Butler on a nuetrql floor, Sean Miller has bigger problems.

plenty of blame can be spread around, but unsteady and soft PG play is a major problem. Especially down the stretch of games.
If the refs didn't remove Lauri from the game, Keanu and Chance don't need to do what they did.

Parker, this just wasn't a good game. The best thing he did was 8 assists, but 3 to's and 2-7 shooting really take the luster off. You can blame Miller for the zone, but PJC went deer in the headlights against it.

Really, he played a competent game before the end. Take out the two huge turnovers and he would have had a nice a/t ratio. He made the one nice drive, but other than that, he had a bad finish. Coincidentally, it was the exact same time our team did too.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Daryl Zero wrote:Actually, this was the first game where I felt that PJC is good enough and he has been showing this in the last 3 games.

The one thing I applaud Butler for is switching to a 1-3-1 zone at the end of the game. The team and PJC sputtered against it but I see that as a learning experience. Up to that point, I thought PJC was doing really well.

Part of that is on Miller because (and this is one of the things I think he does badly as a coach) is that he uses all the time outs long before the end of the game. That made the 1-3-1 even better because it was done after Miller burned the last TO.
Spot on. My confidence in Parker grew with this game. Wasn't happy with the final two minutes, but it can be a learning experience. I suspect he will defer more if Trier returns and/or Simmons and Alkins gain confidence and savvy.

No LM, Ray Smith or Trier down the stretch. Dealt a tough hand. Tried to do more than he normally would. Definitely our best option at the PG.
Right where I want to be.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Here's why I can't be too positive. Against the two teams with a pulse we've played, here's Parker's stats.

6-18 from the floor.
1-7 from three.
11 assists, 5 turnovers.

That just doesn't win games. At best, it doesn't lose them.

Edit: neither Nairn or whoever Butler's pg was were close to the best on their team, so it isn't like these were really top flight pg's he faced.
Last edited by Spaceman Spiff on Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

Upperclassmen shouldn't turn the ball over two consecutive times within two minutes. Especially in a tight game. He is the only option we have at PG, so as he goes, so does the team.
gumby

Post by gumby »

A/TO

PJC -- 36/10 (ratio: 6/1.6). Third in league in assists. Second in AT/0.
KS -- 7/5
LM -- 6/5
RA -- 9/17
DS -- 4/7
KA -- 3/5
CC -- 2/10
KP -- 2/9

The low assist totals for all the other players a bigger problem. Only RA and KS average more than 1 a game (barely). Chance has the same number of turnovers as Parker, in 93 fewer minutes.

We're 11th in the conference in assists ... 7th in AT/O. Need better ball movement and sharing, period.

P.S. Lonzo Ball's numbers are insane.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Is that counting offensive fouls as TO's?
gumby

Post by gumby »

http://pac-12.com/content/mens-basketball-statistics" target="_blank

Probably, given Rawle's total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:http://pac-12.com/content/mens-basketball-statistics

Probably, given Rawle's total.
That's what jumped out at me too. Rawle has picked up a fair number of charges. Chance's to's are probably significantly attributable to that. I know he had 2 offensive fouls vs Butler and it might have even been 3.
gumby

Post by gumby »

LM -- six assists/six games. He's going to get more attention as the season goes along. Hope he can find the open man. We need more creators. Almost all on Parker at the moment.
Lute4God

Post by Lute4God »

gumby wrote:LM -- six assists/six games. He's going to get more attention as the season goes along. Hope he can find the open man. We need more creators. Almost all on Parker at the moment.
I think we are getting to the truth about "Parker" here. It's about the team and not him. Down the stretch in the loss Miller blames himself more than Parker and I agree with him.

“He’s been great at taking care of the ball,” Miller said. “His assist-turnover ratio is almost 4-1. Obviously, he had some decisions down the stretch he didn't want to do, we didn’t want him to do it. But that’s not just on him, trust me, that’s on the other four guys, that’s one his coach for not having his team organized.

“And for Parker it’s learning how that turnover happened so the next time he’s that much more ready. But we were 5-0 with Parker having the ball in his hands and a big reason we were 5-0 because of his decision-making and incredible assist-turnover ratio. He’s one of the guys I’m talking to. He’s never played this many minutes. He’s never been the true starter and although he’s experienced, he’s not experienced in that role you just saw. So things like this sometimes happen."

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... bc181.html" target="_blank
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

So any word? We are nervous up here
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

rgdeuce wrote:So any word? We are nervous up here
Knee injury. He's out for the 2nd half.
CatMG

Post by CatMG »

Seems odd he gets hurt and the announcers say nothing. He is out for the game with who knows how serious of an injury and not one single about him. Very odd.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Perfect timing. Hope he's good for Gonzaga
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

rgdeuce wrote:Perfect timing. Hope he's good for Gonzaga
You don't spend all game in the locker room and have the orthopedic doctor be called in and not miss numerous games.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Point guards are over rated. Give duce the ball he has the skills lol
Airizona

Post by Airizona »

gumby wrote:LM -- six assists/six games. He's going to get more attention as the season goes along. Hope he can find the open man. We need more creators. Almost all on Parker at the moment.
He must have read this post. 5 assists tonight
CatMG

Post by CatMG »

After reading this thread I am wondering if he will ever be good.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I don't know if he will ever walk again
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Alieberman wrote:I don't know if he will ever walk again
R.I.P.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

ChooChooCat wrote:
You don't spend all game in the locker room and have the orthopedic doctor be called in and not miss numerous games.
Thanks for posting that before that post!
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

I want to use a belt sander on my ears every-time I hear Dick V announce a game, but these two bozo's were the worst announcers I have ever heard on a Pac 12 game and that includes ALL of Bill Waltons drug induced trips down Grateful dead lane...

They were terrible never even commented much on the game it was like a competition of who could say the most distracting irrelevant thing about old players...

They need to be retired forever from broadcasting...go call a jr. high spelling bee.
az91

Post by az91 »

Miller said that PJC has a high ankle sprain and will miss a considerable amount of time.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CatFanOneMil wrote:I want to use a belt sander on my ears every-time I hear Dick V announce a game, but these two bozo's were the worst announcers I have ever heard on a Pac 12 game and that includes ALL of Bill Waltons drug induced trips down Grateful dead lane...

They were terrible never even commented much on the game it was like a competition of who could say the most distracting irrelevant thing about old players...

They need to be retired forever from broadcasting...go call a jr. high spelling bee.
It's not just their fault. They have a producer in their ears who also dropped the ball.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

PJC high ankle sprain out for considerable time per Millers presser...my god we need to get rid of the goat ...
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Dude this is a fuckin joke.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

They desperately need to hire a trainer to work the guys from the knees on down...different shoes, some fucking thing...I've never seen more twisted ankles, more ACL tears, more knee sprains on one team in my life...
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

When does baseball season start
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Now would be an optimal time to hear some good news on Trier.

(I know, I know)
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

A broken ankle would've been a better diagnosis than a high ankle sprain.