Really like this team

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

DiehardDave37

Re: Really like this team

Post by DiehardDave37 »

1stNGrant Frys wrote:Not to shit on Trillo's 2 assists and semi-serviceable defense, but is this the least talented group of walk-ons we've had? I'm sure they are good practice players, do what Coach says etc etc.
Max Hazzard sure seemed serviceable last night. How much better than Jacob is/was he?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

1stNGrant Frys wrote:Not to shit on Trillo's 2 assists and semi-serviceable defense, but is this the least talented group of walk-ons we've had? I'm sure they are good practice players, do what Coach says etc etc.
Hearing that Trillo is a former D-III walk on would seem to confirm that.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Yeah, they aren't that good. Trillo isn't that talented but you can tell he has made the most of his time learning under Miller and at least has a decent "foundation" where he can blend in most of the time and not kill us. That DesJardins kid, I have no idea how that dude was first team all state in Nevada :lol: And that was against UCIs bench.

The newly added walk on got a few minutes and I was thinking how awesome that would be.. One day you are just another freshman on campus, going to class and maybe watching games from the Zona Zoo section. Then all of a sudden, you are on the team and about a week later you are in front of a huge McKale crowd and on TV. I was dying when he was out there, but really, he acted the way any of us ordinary folks would have put in that situation. He was right in front of me in that 2-3 zone and he has this "holy shit is this really happening" look on his face. Then on offense, he got the ball on the wing and actually had an open 3 that any walk on should have taken. He didnt even have the ball in his hands a half second before he passed it right back like it was a hot potato. Kobi took him under his wing the whole time like a senior leader, telling him where he needed to be and giving encouragement. I thought that was pretty cool.
DiehardDave37 wrote:
Max Hazzard sure seemed serviceable last night. How much better than Jacob is/was he?
I thought he was a pretty good little player. Had no idea he was a freshman until right now, certainly didn't play like it.
Zero

Post by Zero »

Speaking of the Zona Zoo. Is it true it has not really been filled much this season?
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I wonder if we have more of a chance of really good walk-ons because of the lack of D2 and D3 opportunities in Arizona?

In lots of states, every last player who has a shot gets sucked up by some fringe university. But we really just have the four D1 teams and JUCOs (and that Arizona Christian U or whatever it is called, that plays on the Phoenix Christian campus?). If you have to pay much of your way to go to Western Kansas Tech and Farms U as the 27th best 2 guard in Arizona, you might be more likely to say "screw it" and retire to play intramurals and stay in state.

Just seems like we have more of a chance of having a halfway decent former prep player walking around and lighting up frat boys at the Rec than a school in a state with a university in every abandoned strip mall...
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Zero wrote:Speaking of the Zona Zoo. Is it true it has not really been filled much this season?
Kids have been out of school, so these are the usual December break games when the Zoo gets filled by non-students.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Zero wrote:Speaking of the Zona Zoo. Is it true it has not really been filled much this season?
i don't think so. every home game attendance has been within couple hundred of capacity and there's always a few hundred non students that don't show up to games, especially on weeknights.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Chicat wrote:
Kids have been out of school, so these are the usual December break games when the Zoo gets filled by non-students.
classes end today i believe. kids won't start leaving til next week when finals end. so the students are all still there.

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I'm not surprised students haven't showed up.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Olsondogg wrote:I'm not surprised students haven't showed up.
what evidence do you have that they haven't?

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

What the fuck are you talking about. I'm responding to comments that students haven't showed up to games, saying I'm not surprised.

The evidence is up your ass.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Olsondogg wrote:What the fuck are you talking about. I'm responding to comments that students haven't showed up to games, saying I'm not surprised.

The evidence is up your ass.
so all it takes to convince you that the students haven't shown up is 1 person saying that they are wondering if they have? are you a Trump supporter/fake news reader? because damn...it's easy to persuade you.

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Again, search in your asshole. The answer lies within.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Chicat wrote:
classes end today i believe. kids won't start leaving til next week when finals end. so the students are all still there.
Interesting. I thought all the "fill up the Zoo" tweets I was seeing was because these past couple games weren't a part of the regular student package. You're right, students are still in school. Not sure why they have to be reminded to go to the games.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Olsondogg wrote:Again, search in your asshole. The answer lies within.
haha if you say so. if i say that i think the sun sets in the east you'll believe it though right? just following your trend!

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Keep diggin
Zero

Post by Zero »

I was asking cause my buddy has gone to three games this season and said the Zoo does not look as filled as recent years. I know there was finals this week. It was also brought up on the CBB Reddit.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

With the way last season went and ended, and with the injuries and Trier situation, maybe it's hard to pass on the culture to the incoming freshmen in their first semester.
Zero

Post by Zero »

Lackluster schedule as well.

I hope they put empty zoo tickets on sale.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

EVCat wrote:I wonder if we have more of a chance of really good walk-ons because of the lack of D2 and D3 opportunities in Arizona?

In lots of states, every last player who has a shot gets sucked up by some fringe university. But we really just have the four D1 teams and JUCOs (and that Arizona Christian U or whatever it is called, that plays on the Phoenix Christian campus?). If you have to pay much of your way to go to Western Kansas Tech and Farms U as the 27th best 2 guard in Arizona, you might be more likely to say "screw it" and retire to play intramurals and stay in state.

Just seems like we have more of a chance of having a halfway decent former prep player walking around and lighting up frat boys at the Rec than a school in a state with a university in every abandoned strip mall...
It may help in some instances, but you have the understand the level of talent that typically plays at the D2, D3 and NAIA levels. In most sports, a good JUCO team will be better than a good number of D2s, pretty much any D3, and most NAIA teams. A lot of very talented players go the JUCO route to stay close to home; avoid taking out loans to cover the remaining costs due to partial or no scholarships and avoid higher out-of-state tuition costs and costs in general; academic issues; and the ease of being able to improve and move on to a four-year school, rather than having to sit out a year. There are some very talented players at these levels, don't get me wrong, but they are more exceptions to the rule than the norm. I have a few friends who played at D3 schools and they were all similarly situated: rich private school boys who wanted to keep playing ball and be one of the better players on the team, so mommy and daddy pulled out their pocketbooks and paid for college so they could do so. These guys weren't even the best players on their high school (Tucson) teams. A guy who got cut from my JUCO baseball team ended up on a Division 2 squad the next semester. While we may not have as many college options as other states, a lot of Arizona guys leave the state for the smaller universities/colleges.

Obviously you take what you can get, but I think for a big program like us, the focus starts primarily with guys who are being looked at by the smaller/weaker D1 schools or have that level of talent but have gone unnoticed or only have a couple of offers or less. I got offered a preferred walk on position to a national powerhouse and turned it down for several reasons, but I was warned about the coach in advance by multiple people and I didn't trust him. Had things been different, I would have gone in a second and most of it would have been due to the prestige, bragging rights, being able to play and practice with multiple future professionals, and to drown in pussy in a school that was loaded with beautiful whores. Some athletes aren't like that though: all the hard work in practice with virtually little in-game payoff isn't worth it, or they just cant give up the feeling of being a top player on a team, even if it means playing for a school no one has heard of, or it's a financial thing.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Chicat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Interesting. I thought all the "fill up the Zoo" tweets I was seeing was because these past couple games weren't a part of the regular student package. You're right, students are still in school. Not sure why they have to be reminded to go to the games.
The Zoo has been mostly full, outside of the Texas Southern game where there were a ton of empty seats (maybe 60% full). Last year I posted about how I offered one extra ticket to over 10 male students in the union who looked like they liked sports, were wearing U of A gear, were not studying, and were losers ( :lol: ) by themselves. No one took the ticket (to be preemptive, in no way, shape or form do I look like a predator). Think it's just a generational thing. Kids rather play on their phones, beat off 3x a night, play video games, or be emo than enjoy sports, unless they can get trashed before the game and leave at halftime. Guessing why that is why reminders are needed.
Zero wrote:Lackluster schedule as well.

I hope they put empty zoo tickets on sale.
As far as I know they still do. Hype just seems down this year in general, a lot of season ticket holders around me are not showing or giving their tickets to friends. Quite a few empty seats and im sure there arent a ton of people putting effort into checking in to see if there will be seats available. The schedule and later starts have some influence I am sure, but it wasnt like this last year.
1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

At the UCI game, for the Zoo the lower bowl (Row 30 and below) was 100% and the Zoo upper (row 32 to the ceiling) was about 50%.
Last edited by 1stNGrant Frys on Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

rgdeuce wrote:
EVCat wrote:I wonder if we have more of a chance of really good walk-ons because of the lack of D2 and D3 opportunities in Arizona?

It may help in some instances, but you have the understand the level of talent that typically plays at the D2, D3 and NAIA levels. In most sports, a good JUCO team will be better than a good number of D2s, pretty much any D3, and most NAIA teams. A lot of very talented players go the JUCO route to stay close to home; avoid taking out loans to cover the remaining costs due to partial or no scholarships and avoid higher out-of-state tuition costs and costs in general; academic issues; and the ease of being able to improve and move on to a four-year school, rather than having to sit out a year. There are some very talented players at these levels, don't get me wrong, but they are more exceptions to the rule than the norm. I have a few friends who played at D3 schools and they were all similarly situated: rich private school boys who wanted to keep playing ball and be one of the better players on the team, so mommy and daddy pulled out their pocketbooks and paid for college so they could do so. These guys weren't even the best players on their high school (Tucson) teams. A guy who got cut from my JUCO baseball team ended up on a Division 2 squad the next semester. While we may not have as many college options as other states, a lot of Arizona guys leave the state for the smaller universities/colleges.

Obviously you take what you can get, but I think for a big program like us, the focus starts primarily with guys who are being looked at by the smaller/weaker D1 schools or have that level of talent but have gone unnoticed or only have a couple of offers or less. I got offered a preferred walk on position to a national powerhouse and turned it down for several reasons, but I was warned about the coach in advance by multiple people and I didn't trust him. Had things been different, I would have gone in a second and most of it would have been due to the prestige, bragging rights, being able to play and practice with multiple future professionals, and to drown in pussy in a school that was loaded with beautiful whores. Some athletes aren't like that though: all the hard work in practice with virtually little in-game payoff isn't worth it, or they just cant give up the feeling of being a top player on a team, even if it means playing for a school no one has heard of, or it's a financial thing.

It seems obvious U of A walk-ons aren't the 11th most talented person currently breathing air on campus. They seem to be a a combination of personal connections to the program, grades, good fit for practicing, and then lastly skill.

I'm only griping because we've had many many walk-ons, in the past that looked like they had unrealized potential. I know Hazzard and Korcheck weren't technically walk-ons, but they both would have absolutely killed it with this team.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

rgdeuce wrote: I got offered a preferred walk on position to a national powerhouse and turned it down for several reasons, but I was warned about the coach in advance by multiple people and I didn't trust him. Had things been different, I would have gone in a second and most of it would have been due to the prestige, bragging rights, being able to play and practice with multiple future professionals, and to drown in pussy in a school that was loaded with beautiful whores.
Henry Bibby and USC? Did you really think you deserved pizza? :) Or KON and Arizona?

I get it. And I agree about lower Ds and NAIA. I see it in the club sports I am involved with. But I do think we have less options for the kid who doesn't have the parent with the hefty checkbook. I do remember playing at the rec with kids who had a pretty decent high school resume but didn't want to pass up going to Arizona to play at Iowa A&M.

That, also, has maybe changed in no small part due to the cost of tuition. When I was in school, it was cheaper for a friend to come to Arizona than to go to his home state's top university. It was $995 a semester my last semester in-state. It might not be as much of a difference these days to pony up the extra to go chase your D2 dream out of state...
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Zero wrote:I was asking cause my buddy has gone to three games this season and said the Zoo does not look as filled as recent years. I know there was finals this week. It was also brought up on the CBB Reddit.
I've been to every game and they arent completely filling it up but its close. Every season before this the first 25-30 rows were packed an hour or more before the game. They line up on the west side of McKale 2-3 hours early just to get in there. 30 minutes before the games this year its not even a 1/3 full. P12 play should change that though
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

EVCat wrote:
rgdeuce wrote: I got offered a preferred walk on position to a national powerhouse and turned it down for several reasons, but I was warned about the coach in advance by multiple people and I didn't trust him. Had things been different, I would have gone in a second and most of it would have been due to the prestige, bragging rights, being able to play and practice with multiple future professionals, and to drown in pussy in a school that was loaded with beautiful whores.
Henry Bibby and USC? Did you really think you deserved pizza? :) Or KON and Arizona?

I get it. And I agree about lower Ds and NAIA. I see it in the club sports I am involved with. But I do think we have less options for the kid who doesn't have the parent with the hefty checkbook. I do remember playing at the rec with kids who had a pretty decent high school resume but didn't want to pass up going to Arizona to play at Iowa A&M.

That, also, has maybe changed in no small part due to the cost of tuition. When I was in school, it was cheaper for a friend to come to Arizona than to go to his home state's top university. It was $995 a semester my last semester in-state. It might not be as much of a difference these days to pony up the extra to go chase your D2 dream out of state...
Ironically, I know someone who Bibby screwed over massively and he ended up having to play at a much smaller school. Dude was the best player I've ever been on a court with and played on the Puerto Rico junior national team. I asked him if he knew Jesus Verdejo and he responded with something like, "Yea I hate that bitch." :lol:
walk-on-wildcat

Post by walk-on-wildcat »

Well with Larry Bird Doctor j and Charles Barkley you will be pretty good. And a Dennis rodman.
walk-on-wildcat

New nicknames time: show time, terminator, dagger, and clean up.
Last edited by walk-on-wildcat on Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
walk-on-wildcat

Punisher wedo silk and irobot
walk-on-wildcat

And polo toque
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Probably the reason why Miller left the scholarship players in v. Mizzou end of game, and even they couldn't maintain the lead once Mizzou went man to man.
1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

Merkin wrote:

Probably the reason why Miller left the scholarship players in v. Mizzou end of game, and even they couldn't maintain the lead once Mizzou went man to man.
I also feel that Miller has been much more shy to use walk-ons as compared to Lute. It is a bit unfair to throw all 4 of them together at once like in against Sacred Heart. It be better to have 1 starter, 2 bench and 2 walk-ons to get a more accurate view of how they play. Its just a shame we had so many more athletic walk-ons that never got a chance, like they would this year.