Oregon road trip!

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Luuuuuuuute

Oregon road trip!

Post by Luuuuuuuute »

My wife and I are flying up to watch the Cats play Oregon and Oregon State in February. I've never been to Corvallis or Eugene but I'm hoping some of you can offer us tips on things to see and do in those areas, especially good breweries to try out.

We're flying in to Portland and heading straight to Corvallis for the game on Thursday the 2nd. The next day we'll drive to the coast and head south a little bit. Then, Saturday we'll head the rest of the way to Eugene for the game. So aside from Friday we don't really have a ton of sightseeing time, but if there's a sight or place not to miss along the way, please let me know. And if we end up spending most of our time at breweries, so be it, it's my 40th birthday present damnit :)!

Thanks and BEAR DOWN!
Bangkok Wildcat

Re: Oregon road trip!

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Sounds awesome Luuuute....hope you get to watch 2 great games with Cat victories. Way to represent! Bear Down and enjoy your trip.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

There's a recent Oregon thread around here somewhere
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

scumdevils86 wrote:There's a recent Oregon thread around here somewhere
There's this, although it is coast focused:

http://www.beardownwildcats.com/viewtop ... =33&t=3961" target="_blank
beames

Post by beames »

I won't post much more than I did in that Oregon Coast thread, except to say that the Rogue Brewery is located in Newport! I've read mixed reviews on the place, but it might be worth looking into. Otherwise, Newport, Yachats, and some of the other towns on the way to Florence have great food to go with the sights. You'll be passing thru the area I recommended in that thread, so hopefully you can find some of the advice useful! Have fun!

This time of year, living in Arizona, I always get that hankering for some fresh halibut and chips.... Guess I'll be heading over to Glendale for Oscar's Pier 83 soon to squelch that hunger!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I really enjoyed the Rouge brewery, although there are one of my favorite brands. Bouy beer co was an awesome discovery for me, but it's way north 90min NW of Portland.

Glass bottom floor under the bar to look at sealions while drinking brews.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Yachets as a cool town that I wanted to explore some more. The view coming into town over the bridge heading south is awesome, have your wife ready with a camera.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Best things are outdoors, but not in February.
Right where I want to be.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:Best things are outdoors, but not in February.
Right on. I love the Oregon Coast, but in February, you'd better have your rain gear. I've been in November and got borderline hurricane speed winds.
beames

Post by beames »

Good news, everyone! Apparently, Yachats has a little brewery now also!
gumby

Post by gumby »

"Yah-Hots," and you'll sound like a local.
Right where I want to be.
Luuuuuuuute

Post by Luuuuuuuute »

Thanks everyone! I didn't know there was a similar thread, so I'll check it out.

I've been looking at some places in Yachats... knowing there's a brewery there is a definite bonus.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

sounds like an awesome trip! if you have time to grab a drink and some food before or after the game in eugene, falling sky, barnlight, and wildcraft (if you want to throw craft cider in the mix) are pretty good options near the uo campus. there's also a nice hops farm / brewery / rustic kitchen on the way back up to pdx from eugene (whose name escapes me atm, sorry) though i'm not sure what it'll be like in early feb.
psiclist23

Post by psiclist23 »

I used to live in Eugene. Actually, the coast can be nice in the winter. (and rainy in the summer, go figure) Cold, but clear. Still, take a raincoat! The whole coastline is a park, and so scenic, so you really can't go wrong.

The one place I would go, given your schedule and it being February, and nerd that I am, is Powells book store in Portland.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Powells is awesome!
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

yes to powell's, though you kind of have to set aside at least half a day for it because it's that engrossing. if you're into music & zines reading frenzy, everyday music, and jackpot records are also great and very close to powell's - assuming they all still exist. it's been a little while.