Allonzo Trier

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: Allonzo Trier

Post by Chicat »

catgrad97 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:yea, that game was intense. I've been doing a much better job keeping it together around my kids the past few seasons, but I was a wreck for this game. I think I cussed, screamed and name called more in that game than either of the Wisconsin Elite 8 games. Felt like the old days when both us and UCLA were top programs and that game decided who was going to win the conference.
My wife wasn't feeling well and fell asleep on the couch at halftime, so me and my 7-year-old watched at a really low volume while whispering occasionally and doing a lot of silent fist pumps. Made it a lot easier not to look like the total maniac I was on the inside.
This was me. Only the kids haven't demonstrated knowledge of such quiet fandom yet. :)

Hopefully Bowie is catching on about how to be agood boy, though.
My kids and the dog are (relatively) quiet when they need to be. Which definitely comes in handy (like when we're getting shellacked in football).
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

rgdeuce wrote:The Xbox One is where you messed up. The Playstation 4 is so powerful it makes its own HDMI cables out of common household items such as toilet paper rolls, paper clips and women's hair ties. But yea, that game was intense. I've been doing a much better job keeping it together around my kids the past few seasons, but I was a wreck for this game. I think I cussed, screamed and name called more in that game than either of the Wisconsin Elite 8 games. Felt like the old days when both us and UCLA were top programs and that game decided who was going to win the conference.
Too many cross compatible 360 games.

Plus, at my age, it all looks amazing to me. I was watching a TV show last night and swore they were filming live or on a new type of film/video because it was so crisp.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Olsondogg wrote:
Chicat wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:yea, that game was intense. I've been doing a much better job keeping it together around my kids the past few seasons, but I was a wreck for this game. I think I cussed, screamed and name called more in that game than either of the Wisconsin Elite 8 games. Felt like the old days when both us and UCLA were top programs and that game decided who was going to win the conference.
My wife wasn't feeling well and fell asleep on the couch at halftime, so me and my 7-year-old watched at a really low volume while whispering occasionally and doing a lot of silent fist pumps. Made it a lot easier not to look like the total maniac I was on the inside.
Watched the first half on my phone, during naptime in the middle of a Disney trip. Didn't get to watch the 2nd half live as we had "Jedi training" for my 4.5 y/o. Walking back into Disneyland, and throughout the rest of the afternoon I got a 1/2 dozen "Bear Down" as I was sporting a UA jacket, and my son a UA sweatshirt.

It's always an awesome thing to see other fans outside of AZ.

On a side note, I did get to watch the USC game at the ESPNzone in Downtown Disney. It always surprises me that I am basically in LA, and the game is on one solitary small television, with no sound and really nobody outside of me and my wife watching.

Traffic.
We are all over southern California. I give or get at least two Bear Downs a day when I am in San Diego or Anaheim/LA. Last time I was at Disneyland, I saw at least 10 different people in Arizona gear.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

EVCat wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:The Xbox One is where you messed up. The Playstation 4 is so powerful it makes its own HDMI cables out of common household items such as toilet paper rolls, paper clips and women's hair ties. But yea, that game was intense. I've been doing a much better job keeping it together around my kids the past few seasons, but I was a wreck for this game. I think I cussed, screamed and name called more in that game than either of the Wisconsin Elite 8 games. Felt like the old days when both us and UCLA were top programs and that game decided who was going to win the conference.
Too many cross compatible 360 games.

Plus, at my age, it all looks amazing to me. I was watching a TV show last night and swore they were filming live or on a new type of film/video because it was so crisp.
Just giving you a hard time. This gen sucks anyhow, only a couple of games that have really wowed me. I had a 360 and PS3, but there's really no need to have both now, and I cant be without the Naughty Dog games.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

rgdeuce wrote: Just giving you a hard time. This gen sucks anyhow, only a couple of games that have really wowed me. I had a 360 and PS3, but there's really no need to have both now, and I cant be without the Naughty Dog games.
I am not a gamer....sports games are about it. I will get 2K17 to get the Arizona team download, and bundled with FIFA 17. It is basically a BluRay 4k player with some cool potential TV and gaming options.

I am on the lookout for a Nintendo (NES, original, not mini), and Intellevision tho...
gumby

Post by gumby »

loomer wrote:Finally got a chance to catch the game on the Pac-12 Network last night. I really liked how Allonzo passed the ball. He consistently jumpstopped under control and was able to find Lauri and others for open shots. That's already a big improvement from last year, when he only had a total of 30 assists in 27 games last season. Love the rebounding numbers too. He still needs to quicken that jumpshot release, although at this level it probably won't matter all that much.
So happy that was on. How does Pac-12 Network get CBS replays? Anyway, I missed the final 1:45 because game ran over 2 hours (DVR), so that gave me an excuse to watch the whole thing again.

Oh, and good point about Trier. He just kept the ball moving and wasn't "sticky."
Right where I want to be.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

rgdeuce wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Watched the first half on my phone, during naptime in the middle of a Disney trip. Didn't get to watch the 2nd half live as we had "Jedi training" for my 4.5 y/o. Walking back into Disneyland, and throughout the rest of the afternoon I got a 1/2 dozen "Bear Down" as I was sporting a UA jacket, and my son a UA sweatshirt.

On a side note, I did get to watch the USC game at the ESPNzone in Downtown Disney. It always surprises me that I am basically in LA, and the game is on one solitary small television, with no sound and really nobody outside of me and my wife watching.

Traffic.
We are all over southern California. I give or get at least two Bear Downs a day when I am in San Diego or Anaheim/LA. Last time I was at Disneyland, I saw at least 10 different people in Arizona gear.
UC Tucson
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

basically. seems like 1/4 of the people that go to Arizona are from the greater San Diego or LA areas. Look at a frat or sorority parking lot and half the bmw's and Mercedes in there have California plates.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

woah, i didn't know that the pac-12 network had saturday's game on replay. gonna check the listings so i can finally see it. thanks!
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

dirtbags wrote:woah, i didn't know that the pac-12 network had saturday's game on replay. gonna check the listings so i can finally see it. thanks!
Jefe posted the entire game from YouTube in the game thread
Jefe wrote:
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

thanks, guys!!
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

MrMeow wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Traffic.
UC Tucson
We went to Disneyland over Rodeo Break, there were tons of people in U of A gear. Lots of kids and teachers from our school too.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

ASUHATER! wrote:basically. seems like 1/4 of the people that go to Arizona are from the greater San Diego or LA areas. Look at a frat or sorority parking lot and half the bmw's and Mercedes in there have California plates.
Funny story: Old teammate from college and I both ended up finishing our degrees at U of A and roomed together, and he got a job in San Diego thereafter. Couple years later he's at some unofficial U of A sports bar in Pacific Beach(?) watching a U of A football game. That evening, I get random facebook messages from three female friends, none of whom knew each other or my former roomate, saying, "Hey, I just met your old roomate ______." Blew my mind that there were four people I knew in the same bar in another state I have never lived in, and how they all figured out we knew each other. I have had friends for several years before finding out they knew someone I know.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Went to Twitter. No word on whether Trier is playing.

#oldhabitsdiehard
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

gumby wrote:Went to Twitter. No word on whether Trier is playing.

#oldhabitsdiehard
Do you follow @triersweatpants?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

gumby wrote:Went to Twitter. No word on whether Trier is playing.

#oldhabitsdiehard

Dummy, if you had just gone to PGU back in November you'd know he was cleared to play...anytime...just wait for it...cleared...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

He also put up a video with Nic Wise last night

rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

:lol: :lol: @ Trier tonight
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

cut and paste .. click on link for full article 8-)

Allonzo Trier is excited and relieved to be back, but is “really far behind”

by Ryan Kelapire@RKelapire Jan 27, 2017, 1:56am PST

“Tough. Stressful,” Trier described the situation. “Probably one of the most difficult things in my life. ...I wanted to be out there with teammates and it’s a helpless feeling but I stayed strong through it and God had me right where he wanted me.”

Trier did the only thing he could do — practice hard, encourage his teammates...and wait.

“It was tough, but I love the game of basketball so even though I couldn’t play, I stayed around the game as much as I could,” Trier said. “I was always in the gym, I practiced with my teammates every day and I tried to make an impact in any way I could. So even though I couldn’t play, I tried to be there for my teammates and cheer them on. And in practice I tried to do my part and practicing hard and helping these guys get prepared for the games.”

“Relief. That’s the best thing I can say,” Trier said of his reaction. “I broke down when I got told. It was an emotional moment for me.”

Still, Trier says it “feels funny” when he is on the court and there are moments where he is “out of whack” with the rest of the team.

“I’m still really far behind,” Trier said after posting 17 points and a career-high seven assists against WSU. “This is my second game in about 10 months, so everybody is a lot farther ahead of me. I’m still not in a lot of rhythm, but as I continue to play more, I’ll find my way and I’ll get back to myself.”

Miller, too, said it “felt funny” on Thursday as the Wildcats were continually subbing players in and out against Washington State.

Everybody else has to learn their role, [Trier] has to learn his and I think that as we keep moving forward, it will even out as it always does,” Miller said.

“Every game that goes by... he’ll eventually settle in.

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketball ... rug-return" target="_blank

press
http://tucson.com/online/video/watch-al ... 02c31.html" target="_blank
Last edited by HiCat on Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gumby

Post by gumby »

What's behind the number change (from 11 to 35)? He looks slower with that heavier number.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I dont know, but during the UCLA game I asked my 4-year-old who Trier was. He looked puzzled and I told him Trier. He said, "No daddy, Trier is #11."
gumby

Post by gumby »

:lol:

My son -- now at UW -- stunned me one day when he recited all the numbers of the players (something I couldn't do).
baconus66

Post by baconus66 »

The scary thing is he hasn't looked great but statistically has had two perfectly fine games. When he finds this "rhythm" look out.

Also something pretty amazing Brian Jeffries pointed out: last season Trier had 31 assists. In two games he has over a third of that at 11.
Zero

Post by Zero »

KD is his fav player.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:What's behind the number change (from 11 to 35)? He looks slower with that heavier number.
I read he intentionally ingested number enhancing substances.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Yeah he switched to 35 in ode to his buddy KD.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
gumby wrote:What's behind the number change (from 11 to 35)? He looks slower with that heavier number.
I read he intentionally ingested number enhancing substances.
Elevun! He could get digitalis.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Alonzo...it's called a 2-3 Zone. Stopping at the top of the key and staring at it isn't helping anyone including the offense. I believe Miller chirped at him a couple times for it. Keep moving and loved the rebounding!

Played a decent game yesterday. I still think for now he should come in at the 15:00 minute mark. Taking that timeouit at the 18:00 mark seemed to throw the team off.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

i wrote this elsewhere and was asked to place it here -- its not all about Trier but was in response to Arizona's PG situation currently versus the one coming into the season and my opinion at both times. im answering a question and giving opinion and critique from a very knowledgeable and connected poster -- this is my response dialogue.

===============================================================================================================================================================================

i understand the worry about PG play, Wing -- and if you remember to that, you and i had conversations about the options this year and how those options were frustrating because of the surrounding pieces were ELITE, imo.

i was on record saying Allen, Simmons, and Cartwright all had limitations that didnt make them FF caliber PG's this season, i was right about some and wrong on many as well, here is what ive seen to date.

Allen -- much stronger with the ball and much more confident than i gave him credit for. last year the illness really effected him late in the year as i have visions of him struggling to get the ball over the time line, this year he looks completely different advancing the ball. also Allen is much better passer in terms of finishing and executing the pass. last year he had good ideas but many times the end result didnt match the thought in real-time game speed, i credit this to a big jump in understanding of the game. hes not a top 10 offensive PG in the nation, but is an excellent defender and has size to score and create when needed. plus hes a fantastic rebounder and leader, which is hard to quantify the tremendous impact from the PG, he doesnt complain and puts his hard hat on everyday and works, i underestimated that. hes also very mature due to being a fifth year JC transfer -- the impact of that factor alone was overlooked by me coming into the season as well. conclusion, with the strong parts around him i do think hes capable of being a 30+mpg starting PG on a FF team -- he stuffs the stat sheet, is tough as nails, and doesnt wear down like he did a season ago.

Simmons -- much more mature than i realized and a way way way way way way way better passer and way way way way way way way more unselfish than was reported. i was accurate that hes better off the ball as a PG(1A) than a 30+mpg lead PG. my pause coming into the year was that i didnt want Simmons playing PG 30+mpg, but his ability as a shooter and scorer has surprised me and its become obvious that when paired with other capable wing players hes dynamic. his athletisism is as advertised and his flare for the dramtic is awesome. he also, at least from my lens, is an excellent teammate and willing listener who takes to coaching. i love his brain for the game and his habit of swinging the ball and always seeming to make the extra pass, often doing so by bypassing his own opportunity to score. i also underestimated his ability to rise to the occasion in big games, he is not a guy that runs for the shadow(s) when things get tough, i was wrong that AZ couldnt win with him playing 30+ mpg -- conclusion, imo Arizona needs Simmons around that 28-32mpg mark to make it to the FF, hes one of the wild cards that could deliver Miller his first FF if he continues to improve daily climbing closer and closer to his tremendous individual potential.

Cartwright -- he is a back-up player at this level. asking him to do more is a disservice to the player. hes a nice young man and a good teammate im sure (even tho he pouts and has some of the worst body language on the floor ive ever seen from a PG) but he should be playing spot duty giving a breather to the other lead guards. hes also, more so than ive even realized, an absolute defensive liability. this weekend for example, against WSU, Coach Miller pulled him from the second half rotation for a good 10-12min stretch because Kent clearly game-planned to have whoever was guarded by Cartwright take the ball right to the middle of his chest all the way to the front rim. in the half court, on the break, spread sets, clear outs -- Coach Miller had to remove him cause it was happening over and over and PJC couldnt do anything about it. same against UW yesterday, whoever hes guarding is getting the green light to attack the middle of his body, it was on tape before but as it really started against USC, and to no surprise UCLA didnt exploit that at all cause their coach is , well, you know. i suspect its going to continue to happen when hes in the game from here on out. conclusion, Cartwright is a up and down player who can be counted on sometimes as a solid back-up and other times is a total liability. its gonna be a game by game evaluation and i suspect when the games get more feverish he will have less and less responsibility, which we've already seen since Trier has come back and begun handling some of the PG duties as well, even when Cartwright is in the game.

i do think as Arizona progresses into Feb/March Trier is going to continue to play a prominent role at PG. hes not going to be the primary guy (thats Allen) but Coach Miller and the team has confidence in his ability to run the sets, get into the lane, and share the ball, particularly at the end of games when half court sets are called for and the team needs a bucket. im happy about that cause his ability to not only score but to protect the ball with his big body is a major plus, this will pay dividends especially in tournament time when the games become much more physical -- and yes, his willingness to share and pass the basketball has shown through in just three games. Arizona now has that strong extra wing player who can play all three guard positions -- that's reason i believe Arizona is now a legit FF caliber team.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Awesome, thanks for the post 97, always appreciated.

Question: if trier is back, why still eeyore? :)
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

What surpise me was how little PJC dribbled into that zone. He has shown in previous games a knack at getting into it and kicking it our or dropping a dime to one of the bigs. He just seemed disinterested IMO.

I know nothing about his families relationship or his with CM but he seems like a bright kid who is far to serious and needs to ralx and bask in the teams accomplishments while contributing as best he can.

As 97 points out, teams take it to him defensively. He needs o find ways to contribute on the other end. Hopefully he gets it going this weekend as 2 wins might just salt away the 1 seed in the PAC tourney.

I also agree with WIS comment above about Trier entering at the 18 minute mark yesterday. He should come in at the under 16 TO and maybe get a quick blow at the under 8 and come in and finish the half. Continuity is important and I happen to like him coming off the bench nd of course finishing games.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Great post by 97. I agree with what I gauge as the underlying sentiment, which is that Arizona's pg future is getting away from a traditional pg as distributor model and decentralizing by utilizing Kadeem, Kobi and even Trier as initiators.

He won't dribble the ball up, but I would throw Lauri into that mix. I think he is a willing distributor and commands so much attention that we can run the offense through him. In a larger sense, this is a perfect team for the Warriors style play, without defined roles and a central distributor. Of our rotation guys, we have 5 who can bring the ball up and at least 4 who could be the catalyst for halfcourt offensive sets.

Since we aren't getting a dominant true pg this year, I support the full swing into letting people do their thing.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Trier appears likely to move to starting lineup

Bruce Pascoe Arizona Daily Star Jan 30, 2017 Updated 1 hr ago

Sounds like Sean Miller is ready to insert Allonzo Trier into the Arizona Wildcats’ starting lineup.

He just has to figure out who to remove.

Miller played Trier a team-high 33 minutes on Sunday against Washington, and inserted him for Kobi Simmons immediately after Simmons picked up his first foul just 2:09 into the game. Simmons wound up playing 27 minutes, two fewer than the other most likely candidate to go to the bench, Rawle Alkins.

But Alkins played only 24 minutes against Washington State while Simmons logged 27.
Today, Miller said the Wildcats could start Trier but won't decide for sure until later this week.

In fairness to both Allonzo and our team he’s playing starter’s minutes and there’s no reason to not let that happen,” Miller said during his weekly news conference today. “But somebody’s gonna have to be taken out of the lineup and that’s not easy when you’re 20-2. But that’s all part of the sacrifice that we have to be able to make as a team.

Whoever it is, it’s not like they’re getting benched or Allonzo’s so much better, it’s more along the lines of they’re still going to be a valuable player. As a matter of fact, their minutes will remain the same. It’s just a matter of the beginning of both halves they wont’ be in there. Whoever that person is I don’t think we’ve decided that, but that doesn’t mean they’ve done anything wrong.”

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... 34f20.html" target="_blank
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Terrible game out of trier tonight.
mofo

Post by mofo »

Maybe he'll try to dominate the ball next weekend to make up for it.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Yeah that was bad. First time ive ever cringed when seeing him subbed into a game
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Every shot I keep saying "don't shoot"

That's not what you want to think about your "star" player.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Zo took a while to get into his rhythm last year. Maybe 5 or 6 games IIRC. Then he went on a terror and averaged like 18-20 per game until his hand injury. I just need homeboy to defend a little better in the interim.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:Every shot I keep saying "don't shoot"

What is it "star" and not star?
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Players need to have fun, just play the game again. Easy to say when there's things that need fixing. Don't know if AT's pushing too hard or really trying to increase visibility. Shake it off, get ready for WSU on Thurs.
When this team's in rhythm they're tough to beat. 8-)
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

HiCat wrote:Players need to have fun, just play the game again. Easy to say when there's things that need fixing. Don't know if AT's pushing too hard or really trying to increase visibility. Shake it off, get ready for WSU on Thurs.
When this team's in rhythm they're tough to beat. 8-)
I agree so much with this. I think they went through a real identity change mid year, from punching up and having something still to look forward to (Zo coming back) like Christmas to it being over, their very FIRST game with him back setting insane expectations (UCLA), followed by natural pains in assimilating him back in the line up. And with the audible groans in the stadium and the less audible groans in internet world and everyone they talk to, they are pressing right now. Basketball probably isn't very fun.

They need a roadie.....
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Basketball isn't fun. It isn't supposed to be. Not at this level.

Basketball isn't even fun to watch. Not for real fans.

You've seen the way your family looks at you. You're not having fun. This stuff is dead freaking serious.

Not even winning is fun. It's a triumph over the forces of chaos, a reprieve from all that's gone wrong in your life since freshman year when your RA locked all of your notes and reading materials in the study room on the 6th floor of Arizona/Sonora after Brent threw up on the carpet, and you failed your first anthro midterm.

College basketball is the purest affirmation that all that the tradition Lute Olson built is ordered and firm enough to defeat adversity in the most beautiful, score-table-jumping of ways. None of this is fun.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I only agree when we are playing far lesser competition. The "nothing to be gained" game can be a real grinder.

But I swore to myself in 2011, when we got a 2nd chance to be a program after some real question, that I would never get to that point again where games were work and only final four's equaled relieved joy.

I have largely stuck to my promise to myself...I find something to enjoy, whether it be the offbeat commentary of Walton, or looking for reactions on the bench or in the crowds, or boring my wife by turning the DVR into a Coach's Clicker to show her mundane stuff we are running or running up against in repeat slow mo (she really must love me...or she is plotting my death and doesn't want to raise suspicion) , or, if the pain of a really strong "nothing to gain/everything to lose" game is overbearing, I leave the room for stretches then come back in, rewind, and fast forward until there is a significant movement toward fun (Oregon State game). Or I think about how this will all be over in 2 months and I will be begging for the next season to start. I get to 6 to 8 games a year live, which is always fun, and I am a junkie who can watch basketball for mundane bits of enjoyment. I am happy in a gym watching almost any level of the game. I am also less about instant gratification at I get older.

(none of this is true come the first weekend of the tournament. I have friends who won't return calls or texts during our first two games. I can relax come Sweet 16. It is a stupid way to determine your best team...)
Last edited by EVCat on Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

PHXCATS wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Every shot I keep saying "don't shoot"

What is it "star" and not star?
Still waiting for that guy to show up. Maybe he will, I sure he will, but for now his reintegration has been a bumpy road.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

EVCat wrote:I only agree when we are playing far lesser competition. The "nothing to be gained" game can be a real grinder.

But I swore to myself in 2011, when we got a 2nd chance to be a program after some real question, that I would never get to that point again where games were work and only final four's equaled relieved joy.

I have largely stuck to my promise to myself...I find something to enjoy, whether it be the offbeat commentary of Walton, or looking for reactions on the bench or in the crowds, or boring my wife by turning the DVR into a Coach's Clicker to show her mundane stuff we are running or running up against in repeat slow mo (she really must love me...or she is plotting my death and doesn't want to raise suspicion) , or, if the pain of a really strong "nothing to gain/everything to lose" game is overbearing, I leave the room for stretches then come back in, rewind, and fast forward until there is a significant movement toward fun (Oregon State game). Or I think about how this will all be over in 2 months and I will be begging for the next season to start. I get to 6 to 8 games a year live, which is always fun, and I am a junkie who can watch basketball for mundane bits of enjoyment. I am happy in a gym watching almost any level of the game. I am also less about instant gratification at I get older.

(none of this is true come the first weekend of the tournament. I have friends who won't return calls or texts during our first two games. I can relax come Sweet 16. It is a stupid way to determine your best team...)

I slip back into the
This is a great post.

Thank you.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:Basketball isn't fun. It isn't supposed to be. Not at this level.

You've seen the way your family looks at you. You're not having fun. This stuff is dead freaking serious.

Not even winning is fun. It's a triumph over the forces of chaos, a reprieve from all that's gone wrong in your life since freshman year when your RA locked all of your notes and reading materials in the study room on the 6th floor of Arizona/Sonora after Brent threw up on the carpet, and you failed your first anthro midterm.

College basketball is the purest affirmation that all that the tradition Lute Olson built is ordered and firm enough to defeat adversity in the most beautiful, score-table-jumping of ways. None of this is fun.
This post does hit on it.

I feel like a lot of people got spoiled fast too. In 2011, I was over the moon that we made the Elite Eight. I attended a fairly packed McKale welcome home event at about 11 pm to applaud the team. By 2014-15, fans weren't rallying for an Elite Eight loss, we were disappointed.
gumby

Post by gumby »

I'm in this camp, sadly. It's all on me. Now I DVR and do other things. I"m far away enough that nobody spoils it (this doesn't work during tournament).

Like Saturday. Normally I would watch and not attend a party I was only marginally interested in. Instead i went to party. Had fun. Checked score as I left. Was happy. Then on drive home -- "Damn, must've struggled on offense again."

Then watched, but I was relaxed and more analytical. (Damn, Trier can't/won't defend). Had I watched it live, I would've been sooo stressed.

Did not watch the Oregon game. Caught a partial score -- 33-11. Said, screw that.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:I'm in this camp, sadly. It's all on me. Now I DVR and do other things. I"m far away enough that nobody spoils it (this doesn't work during tournament).

Like Saturday. Normally I would watch and not attend a party I was only marginally interested in. Instead i went to party. Had fun. Checked score as I left. Was happy. Then on drive home -- "Damn, must've struggled on offense again."

Then watched, but I was relaxed and more analytical. (Damn, Trier can't/won't defend). Had I watched it live, I would've been sooo stressed.

Did not watch the Oregon game. Caught a partial score -- 33-11. Said, screw that.
This sounds frighteningly like perspective.

Good fans would miss the birth of their first child to see the red/blue game. Average fans would stream the game on a laptop and have your wife hold it on her stomach so you could check out the baby crowning without having to miss how our weakside defensive rotation looks. Bad fans have lives and outside interests and don't lose days to depression after we win by only 11 against a low RPI teams.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I've been all of those. Called my shot ahead of time to miss friends' wedding because they scheduled it on Final Four 94. Did moderate property damage (to my own place, stupidly) after 1993. Have let people see me cry, whine, scream, and generally act like a lunatic over games. Almost quit a job out of college because I hated being away from Tucson on game day.

But the end of the Lute era (and, hopefully, maturity, parenting, etc) allowed me to gain perspective. I am still insane in my level of participation in revolving my life around kids I don't know playing basketball in laundry I like. I don't compare to 98% of the populous...I am off the charts "diehard". But within the ranks of this 2% that we, the message board fan, make up...I have drifted from "top of the class" to "CLEP/Auditing the class".

My pro fan participation has suffered the greatest. I am reduced to bandwagon fan with the 4 major sports...I can still talk like a diehard when they win, but I am largely checked out otherwise. I have applied all my fanatic sports energy to my university and my children's sports (though I am not a psycho sideline parent...I witnessed one of those this weekend when my youngest, on a soccer team at a rec league thrown together of the kids who are new, lost 24-0 (yes, 24-0) to a team that has been together for 4 years, and does fancy shit at 10 like switch the field and run set piece plays. Tat Dad and Yoga Pants Mom were over on our side of the sideline yelling at their poor, I am assuming abused, daughter Mia to "go to the goal" and "wake up" while up somewhere between 17-0 and 23-0. Their cursed progeny scored goal 24, and they literally fist-bumped and screamed, while on our side of the field. My wife kept reminding me we were going to the game (UA) and had a fun overnight in Tucson without the kids planned, and that I would much rather be doing adult things in a resort hotel room with her than trying to avoid having adult things done to me overnight in jail. She is a saint, unless sainthood is ruined by speaking in scarily descriptive language of what this man and his mother must have done to each other and with what body parts he did said act with)...
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Longhorned wrote:Basketball isn't fun. It isn't supposed to be. Not at this level.

If you said carefree fun, I'd agree 100%. Basketball is fun at any level. You can have fun and still be serious and compete at a high level. Think Michael and Charles weren't having fun out there in the playoffs? Larry Bird looked 100 percent serious out there, but he was talking shit, getting in opponents' heads, and telling them "I'm going to get the ball, right there, and I'm going to drill it in your face" in big games. The higher up you get talent wise, the more guys get off on competing. The end result may not be fun, but it is incorrect to assume that it is an all out war and just because guys aren't smiling or jumping up and down on the bench that they aren't having fun. Basketball (and any pretty much any sport) is still a game, just with higher stakes. Not too many players forget that and still maintain success, when there isn't any fun in it for you there is nothing to balance the inevitable losses and failures that come with sports.

For us, I agree. Most games are not fun to watch :lol: . I wish I could be the fan whose world doesn't come tumbling down for days after a loss or poor performance by the Cats.