2016-2017 Arizona Basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: 2016-2017 Arizona Basketball

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Main Event wrote:Whole different world if Brandon Ashley doesn't break his foot at Cal
We have 2 nati9nal championships in that world.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Main Event wrote:Whole different world if Brandon Ashley doesn't break his foot at Cal
We have 2 nati9nal championships in that world.
Is it ok that this is another reason I dislike CAL? And you are so right SS....Damn.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Put it all on David Kravish.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Didn't wanna start a new thread for this reddit thread I saw, but it's a pretty good MS paint logo for us based off of the AP not having one for Northwestern.
Jwsisliving

Post by Jwsisliving »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
RiseAndFire wrote:
Chicat wrote:
RiseAndFire wrote:
Chicat wrote:Now you're dropping in after 11 point wins and calling them potential upsets? Average margin of victory is like 14+ in league games.
um RPI 194 team that ASU just smoked came in, played a simple zone D and held us to 14 damn points in the first 3/4 of the first half and yes led at halftime

I call that a potential upset
You can call it whatever you like. I just think it's hilarious you've been waiting and hoping for a semi-subpar performance to pay us a visit.
I've been watching and then with the UCLA game I actually got my hopes up. That was the first big game we've defied the odds and won since @Michigan? Duke in 2011?....., maybe we CAN rely on the three pointer in every game and the team will actually add up to more than the sum of its parts for once

then the three shooting came back to earth and we struggle with two +100 RPI bottom dwellers and welp, we are who I thought we were

I get that you you try to me out to be this wild renegade that Bucks the conventional wisdom, a true maverick,. That's cool but I'm really just a fan that sees a team with 8 straight (soon to be 9) top 10 recruiting classes always coming up short in March, and searching for answers.
Good grief....you sound like BeachCat97 :-(

''always coming up short in March".....exaggerate much? 2011 we over-exceeded.....yes, we have definitely under-performed in the NCAAs relative to our abilities overall.....Lute's teams included.

However, being negative this early on is really annoying....Care to make a wager like BC97 did? ;-)
maybe he is beachcat. it's possible he could have more than one account here.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Fishclamps wrote:Didn't wanna start a new thread for this reddit thread I saw, but it's a pretty good MS paint logo for us based off of the AP not having one for Northwestern.
ha nice!

gumby

Post by gumby »

Oregon and Arizona both favored by 17.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-bas ... las-vegas/" target="_blank

Since I think it's more likely that the Ducks will cover, look for the Cats to roll. #isuckatgambling
Right where I want to be.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Well under Miller we've gone 2-3 @OSU. Been upset as a top 10 team before there. Better not look ahead to Oregon.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

OSU is especially awful this year though. Especially when Tinkle doesn't play. GP2 did everything for them
baconus66

Post by baconus66 »

They should break out some of that 1-3-1 zone just for old times sake
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

baconus66 wrote:They should break out some of that 1-3-1 zone just for old times sake
Do they play any sort of defense outside of that zone?
baconus66

Post by baconus66 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
baconus66 wrote:They should break out some of that 1-3-1 zone just for old times sake
Am I remembering wrong. Doesn't tinkle have them playing some other zone? It was during the Craig Robinson years they played that super gimmicky 1-3-1 that gave us issues no matter how good we were.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

baconus66 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Am I remembering wrong. Doesn't tinkle have them playing some other zone? It was during the Craig Robinson years they played that super gimmicky 1-3-1 that gave us issues no matter how good we were.
Yeah I think Tinkle plays an exclusive 2-3 zone or at least he did his first year. I honestly don't even remember what they ran last year.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Three-quarter court, so it really slows the action.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

baconus66 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Didn't the Cats play a lot of 1 3 1 in 2003-2006?
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

A couple of months ago I was sitting on the toilet. Strained and grunted for a long tome. Worked really hard and was finally successful. Flushed and walked away with a big smile on my face, because at that point I thought RiseandFire posts were gone from my life forever.

I guess I was wrong.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Puerco wrote:A couple of months ago I was sitting on the toilet. Strained and grunted for a long tome. Worked really hard and was finally successful. Flushed and walked away with a big smile on my face, because at that point I thought RiseandFire posts were gone from my life forever.

I guess I was wrong.
If you'd found a way to integrate the 2-3 zone into your boweling, that thing would have slipped out in a huge, beautifully coiled pile and you wouldn't even have needed to wipe afterwards.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Yep, prob get swept on the road now
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

we play our away games away from McHale center. you learn something new every day!

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ASUHATER! wrote:we play our away games away from McHale center. you learn something new every day!
Should have been checked but not a huge deal. I bet we miss things all the time for other schools and never realize it.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

ASUHATER! wrote:we play our away games away from McHale center. you learn something new every day!
Someone else want a stab at this one? Its all set up for you, just send it home
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Jefe wrote:
Someone else want a stab at this one? Its all set up for you, just send it home

I'll let Ernest Borgnine take it.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:My 2 cents on Miller's tenure here:

Year 1: Above average. Our roster was devastated. With decent returners in Fogg, Wise and nothing else but freshmen, a .500 season wasn't great but it stabilized things.

Year 2: Just fantastic. Making the Elite Eight and being a heartbeat from the FF was so far above where anyone thought we would be it isn't funny.

Year 3: Below average. It was a letdown coming off tourney success and with a really good recruiting class. That said, if it wasn't for year 2, it would be easy to see this as performing to expectations.

Year 4: Above average. Given the state of the roster (lots of freshmen and Lyons trying to be a pg) a Sweet 16 was a good result. It loses a little luster when seen against the success we had early in the year, but overall, not bad.

Year 5: Very good. The only reason this wasn't an incredible success was the Ashley injury and getting nipped by Wisky. Other than that, this year was filled with a ton of highs.

Year 6: As expected. We were supposed to be a top five team and we were. The bar was high and we hit it for the most part. That this was not a huge success is a measure of how much Milelr has done.

Year 7: Below average. There were some good moments, but the team never really came together and the early exist to Wichita State was ugly.

Year 8: Pretty good so far, but...?
so what you're saying is that since year two the summary is "average" or slightly better than. fair assessment

that's precisely what I have said. Fantastic recruiting, average results. What's the problem?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

McHale was a power forward. Parish was a center.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RiseAndFire wrote:

Year 1: Above average. Our roster was devastated. With decent returners in Fogg, Wise and nothing else but freshmen, a .500 season wasn't great but it stabilized things.

Year 2: Just fantastic. Making the Elite Eight and being a heartbeat from the FF was so far above where anyone thought we would be it isn't funny.

Year 3: Below average. It was a letdown coming off tourney success and with a really good recruiting class. That said, if it wasn't for year 2, it would be easy to see this as performing to expectations.

Year 4: Above average. Given the state of the roster (lots of freshmen and Lyons trying to be a pg) a Sweet 16 was a good result. It loses a little luster when seen against the success we had early in the year, but overall, not bad.

Year 5: Very good. The only reason this wasn't an incredible success was the Ashley injury and getting nipped by Wisky. Other than that, this year was filled with a ton of highs.

Year 6: As expected. We were supposed to be a top five team and we were. The bar was high and we hit it for the most part. That this was not a huge success is a measure of how much Milelr has done.

Year 7: Below average. There were some good moments, but the team never really came together and the early exist to Wichita State was ugly.

so what you're saying is that since year two the summary is "average" or slightly better than. fair assessment

that's precisely what I have said. Fantastic recruiting, average results. What's the problem?
When we start top 20 every year, performing to expectations or exceeding them means a whole lot. Take 14-15. We performed to expectations, and really could have only exceeded them by winning a national championship.

If I judged Miller's years by a 2009 prism, every year would be an unqualified success. The evolving expectations have raised the bar very high.

Can I ask where your lust for zone came from?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
RiseAndFire wrote:

When we start top 20 every year, performing to expectations or exceeding them means a whole lot. Take 14-15. We performed to expectations, and really could have only exceeded them by winning a national championship.

If I judged Miller's years by a 2009 prism, every year would be an unqualified success. The evolving expectations have raised the bar very high.

Can I ask where your lust for zone came from?
he grew up listening to stories of it on Boeheim's knee

gumby

Post by gumby »

That was the case under Coach Olsen, too.

Meanwhile, nice roadie, Wildcats. Even with Lauri "Off The'' Markkanen shooting poorly.

Didn't see the Oregon game, but it sounds like the three ASU guards just drove and drove and drove, and the Ducks struggled to contain. So if things turn south, we can go small and give that a whirl.
Last edited by gumby on Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:
That was the case under Coach Olsen, too.

Meanwhile, nice roadie, Wildcats. Even with Lauri "Off The'' Markkenen shooting poorly.

Didn't see the Oregon game, but it sounds like the three ASU guards just drove and drove and drove, and the Ducks struggled to contain. So if things turn south, we can go small and give that a whirl.
Nobody will read this without noticing that you mistyped Markkanen.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Not now!

And I even looked it up so see how many consonants.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

I give those writers a pass because they probably spent a lot of time covering Kevin McHale.
But I got upset when reading about Lute Olsen. :roll: :roll:
gumby

Post by gumby »

No. Seriously! Good game. I saw it. Honest!
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Kobi since the UCLA game: 11-32 FG, 3-13 3pfg%.

Freshman wall? Mini slump? Head not in it because Trier's back? Putting too much pressure on himself because Trier is likely taking his spot in the starting lineup? Upset that Trier came back? This was the guy some of us talked about Trier's return affecting the most.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

rgdeuce wrote:Kobi since the UCLA game: 11-32 FG, 3-13 3pfg%.

Freshman wall? Mini slump? Head not in it because Trier's back? Putting too much pressure on himself because Trier is likely taking his spot in the starting lineup? Upset that Trier came back? This was the guy some of us talked about Trier's return affecting the most.
I am curious what everyone's stats are since UCLA. Seems like everyone is in a slump
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Said it in the game thread, but I hope to god it's not another second half season collapse like in 2013. Ever since UCLA the whole team has struggled. But we're probably too talented to completely melt down, unless it's mental. Everyone is in a slump since Trier's return. Maybe he threw out team chemistry on court
Last edited by NYCat on Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Kobi was predicted late first round.

Alkins is probably ahead of him now.

Lauri will probably drop to 12-15.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Frybry02 wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:Kobi since the UCLA game: 11-32 FG, 3-13 3pfg%.

I am curious what everyone's stats are since UCLA. Seems like everyone is in a slump
Not penning our issues on one guy, because there isn't one who comes out of this smelling like a rose and our issues have been far from just offense. But his dropoff stands out the most and he is the one guy some of us had our eyes on after Triers return. Ill get on it though because I'm curious myself. I know Rawles isnt that bad off the top of my head
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Lauri: 11-27 and 7-17. Rough road trip 2-11 and 1-6 from 3.
Dusan: 21-35
Kadeem: 9-22 and 2-7.
Rawle: 17-33 and 6-16.

Trier: 19-41 and 6-19.
PJC: 3-5 and 2-3.
Comanche: 7-14.

Here's a telling stat, assists to turnovers: Kadeem 14 to 11, PJC 9 to 7.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

This team has not performed well since UCLA and I am not ready to say it is Trier. What I do think is this team is mentally weak or neutral. Or maybe a better thought would be drained mentally.

If this team comes out on fire and play hard on Wednesday I Have hope. If not this team ain't going to Glendale. Should win by 25 plus if they have the heart and mental attitude of champions.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Lauri needs to get his head stepped on.

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

PHXCATS wrote:This team has not performed well since UCLA and I am not ready to say it is Trier. What I do think is this team is mentally weak or neutral. Or maybe a better thought would be drained mentally.

If this team comes out on fire and play hard on Wednesday I Have hope. If not this team ain't going to Glendale. Should win by 25 plus if they have the heart and mental attitude of champions.

That Furd team we play Wednesday is playing preety well and they have improved since we put, well an Oregon style beat down on them at home. They will be ready
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

PHXCATS wrote:This team has not performed well since UCLA and I am not ready to say it is Trier. What I do think is this team is mentally weak or neutral. Or maybe a better thought would be drained mentally.

This team is not mentally weak or neutral. This team took three shots to the chest early and up til Saturday, only lost twice to two top-level teams away from McKale. This team has more resilience than just about any Arizona team I can think of. I don't think they are drained either. The only think I can think of, they got PJC back, then Trier back and beat UCLA on the road and forgot that just because those two things happen, it doesnt mean you can ease up off the pedal, or they are still adjusting to life with Trier and trying to mix the old identity with the new is more difficult than first believed.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:

This team is not mentally weak or neutral. This team took three shots to the chest early and up til Saturday, only lost twice to two top-level teams away from McKale. This team has more resilience than just about any Arizona team I can think of. I don't think they are drained either. The only think I can think of, they got PJC back, then Trier back and beat UCLA on the road and forgot that just because those two things happen, it doesnt mean you can ease up off the pedal, or they are still adjusting to life with Trier and trying to mix the old identity with the new is more difficult than first believed.
Thank you.

This team was a 2 loss team ranked in the top five despite losing Ray forever, Trier for a while and PJC for a month. We had to face Gonzaga at a neutral site with 7 scholarship players and hung with them.

I'd put all my money on the disease of success. I remember posting after UCLA that the challenge now was how we handled everyone jumping on the bandwagon and how that can let complacency creep in.

We lost our edge. Oregon played with an edge and we didn't.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:

Thank you.

This team was a 2 loss team ranked in the top five despite losing Ray forever, Trier for a while and PJC for a month. We had to face Gonzaga at a neutral site with 7 scholarship players and hung with them.

I'd put all my money on the disease of success. I remember posting after UCLA that the challenge now was how we handled everyone jumping on the bandwagon and how that can let complacency creep in.

This team go pt their ass beat bad on national tv. This team has been in a four game funk. Trier has been practicing so there should be no chemistry issues that extend to this. if they put a world class beat down on Stanford I will agree it was a bump in the road but if not I think there are issues with the team that are not talent or physical.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:

Thank you.

This team go pt their ass beat bad on national tv. This team has been in a four game funk. Trier has been practicing so there should be no chemistry issues that extend to this. if they put a world class beat down on Stanford I will agree it was a bump in the road but if not I think there are issues with the team that are not talent or physical.
College teams have down periods. Calling a team mentally weak because we had three games of double digit wins that weren't tremendously impressive...well, that's a standard almost no college team ever could meet.

How many championship teams haven't had struggles? Duke's most recent NC team had an ugly start to conference play. Things like this happen.

This doesn't mean that a coaching staff doesn't need to nip it in the bud. You don't want to encourage shaky focus and effort, but that does not mean that the sky is falling.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Since 2002 no team to win the title has had a beat down like Saturday except for 2014 UCONN so I don't think we can just say these things happen if we want Arizona to be a title contender.

A bad game with low energy happens sure but four in a row don't to title contenders.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote:Since 2002 no team to win the title has had a beat down like Saturday except for 2014 UCONN so I don't think we can just say these things happen if we want Arizona to be a title contender.

A bad game with low energy happens sure but four in a row don't to title contenders.
Oregon had the 3rd best offensive game in the past 15 years or so. That would explain why our beat down was worse than some other title contenders. Hell Nova lost by 23 to Oklahoma last season, the difference is OU didn't have an all time offensive game.

I've seen numerous title contenders go through numerous games of lulls and low energy and yada yada yada. Hell it happened to our 2001 team and obviously the 97 team during its adjustment period of learning how to fit Miles Simon into the plan. I see no reason to panic...yet.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheBlackLodge

Post by TheBlackLodge »

PHXCATS wrote:Since 2002 no team to win the title has had a beat down like Saturday except for 2014 UCONN so I don't think we can just say these things happen if we want Arizona to be a title contender.

Last year, Villanova lost by 23 on a neutral floor to Oklahoma.

Two years ago, Duke lost by 16 AT HOME to a Miami team that didn't even make the tournament.

One ugly loss doesn't make or break a championship season, just like going undefeated in the regular season doesn't guarantee a championship (just ask Kentucky).
Formerly McLurvin
prh

Post by prh »

You realize that Nova had a 23 point loss last year, right? And that Duke had a 16 point home loss to an unranked team the year before, right? You have to go back to 2013 to find a champ without an embarrassing loss.

EDIT: I took way too long to research previous years, BlackLodge beat me to it. But that shows how awful that argument was.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I think they can still make a run but I need to see a beat down Wednesday to continue to think that.

Yes I do know last year but notice what I said. I clearly say I still believe in this team but starting to lose some faith.