This is an embarassment

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

HiCat

Re: This is an embarassment

Post by HiCat »

Hank of sb

"Harvey was surely right about one thing, however.....and its the best point being made, IMO. It is certainly better to run into a buzz saw now rather than later."

Exactly. Agree 100%. If it had to happen, then now is better.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Rawle's numbers a bright spot. He was playing till the end.

16 pts, 7/11 63 %, 6 rebs, 4 asts, 1 blk, 4 stls, 29 mins, 5 to's

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... ddfcc.html" target="_blank
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

"That said, the buzz saw named Oregon has got to be a top four pick to win it all. They are well coached; they play mixed and tough defense- perimeter AND interior; they have a killer shooter, one of the nation's best, all backed up with other shooters. And their bigs actually jump, whereas two of Arizona's (excepting Pinder and Chance) either can't or don't."

Hank of SB - you have to be kidding. Based on one game Oregon should now be a top four pick to win it all? Would you have said this after their most previous game where they barely squeeked out a win against a horrible team at home? How about after the loss to Colorado, or their last minute squeeker against UCLA, again at home. How about considering all three? How about some perspective?

Do you do a lot of things on impulse?
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Hank of sb wrote:
HiCat wrote:

In the end, it's one very bad game. Even if Cats played a great game (like UCLA's)
we would probably not have gotten the win. Reminds me of Wisconsin a couple of years ago. Nothing you can do but stay in the moment.

Time to brush it off, get ready for the next game/s. The prize is in March/April boys.
The Wisconsin game was remarkable in that in spite of the onslaught, Arizona lost by 5 points or so. I kept looking at the scoreboard (then) and thinking this is amazing we are still in this thing....until we weren't. In a sense, that game personified TJ McConnell. At the game's end I was proud of Arizona.

I should add: I was also extremely proud of Arizona after the Illinois loss. That was a great Arizona team that had had some issues during the season, specifically Salim and Lute almost went separate ways. Lest we forget, Illinois had been # 1 all season. In that game Arizona reminded the nation that Arizona was always a contender, one not to be forgotten, much like they hadn't been thought of in that vein all year.

Yesterday's game was not like either of those two aforementioned games. Besides embarrassing, I can't see any silver lining. If our coach really uses the tape to good use and teach, well then perhaps. But there's also a possibility we're seeing the limitations of the squad: the digression of Lauri becoming a perimeter Euro-style player and Kadeem not having PG skills.

I certainly was not proud of Arizona.

As to Harvey Spector's comment, I do not see yesterday's loss as Sean Miller's fault. Then whose fault may it be? The players? No one's?

Harvey was surely right about one thing, however.....and its the best point being made, IMO. It is certainly better to run into a buzz saw now rather than later.

That said, the buzz saw named Oregon has got to be a top four pick to win it all. They are well coached; they play mixed and tough defense- perimeter AND interior; they have a killer shooter, one of the nation's best, all backed up with other shooters. And their bigs actually jump, whereas two of Arizona's (excepting Pinder and Chance) either can't or don't.
When things do not turn out the way we want, it is natural to want to assign blame. But sometimes shit happens, without it really being anyone's "fault".

So I am not sure there is anyone to 'blame' for yesterday's loss. I did not see the game, but if Miller thought effort or defensive focus was off - I have not doubt he would have said it.

The stat that UO made 3's at a higher clip than Klay Thompson did to win the NBA 3-point shootout is pretty unbelievable to think about (I doubt they make them at that rate in shoot-arounds on their best day). And the fact that the margin was the differential in 3 point production - voila.

Random shit happens, and we were the victim of it. My opinion.
Last edited by Harvey Specter on Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Hank of sb wrote:
HiCat wrote:

In the end, it's one very bad game. Even if Cats played a great game (like UCLA's)
we would probably not have gotten the win. Reminds me of Wisconsin a couple of years ago. Nothing you can do but stay in the moment.

Time to brush it off, get ready for the next game/s. The prize is in March/April boys.
The Wisconsin game was remarkable in that in spite of the onslaught, Arizona lost by 5 points or so. I kept looking at the scoreboard (then) and thinking this is amazing we are still in this thing....until we weren't. In a sense, that game personified TJ McConnell. At the game's end I was proud of Arizona.

I should add: I was also extremely proud of Arizona after the Illinois loss. That was a great Arizona team that had had some issues during the season, specifically Salim and Lute almost went separate ways. Lest we forget, Illinois had been # 1 all season. In that game Arizona reminded the nation that Arizona was always a contender, one not to be forgotten, much like they hadn't been thought of in that vein all year.

Yesterday's game was not like either of those two aforementioned games. Besides embarrassing, I can't see any silver lining. If our coach really uses the tape to good use and teach, well then perhaps. But there's also a possibility we're seeing the limitations of the squad: the digression of Lauri becoming a perimeter Euro-style player and Kadeem not having PG skills.

I certainly was not proud of Arizona.

As to Harvey Spector's comment, I do not see yesterday's loss as Sean Miller's fault. Then whose fault may it be? The players? No one's?

Harvey was surely right about one thing, however.....and its the best point being made, IMO. It is certainly better to run into a buzz saw now rather than later.

That said, the buzz saw named Oregon has got to be a top four pick to win it all. They are well coached; they play mixed and tough defense- perimeter AND interior; they have a killer shooter, one of the nation's best, all backed up with other shooters. And their bigs actually jump, whereas two of Arizona's (excepting Pinder and Chance) either can't or don't.
When things do not turn out the way we want, it is natural to want to assign blame. But sometimes shit happens, without it really being anyone's "fault".

So I am not sure there is anyone to 'blame' for yesterday's loss. I did not see the game, but if Miller thought effort or defensive focus was off - I have not doubt he would have said it.

The stat that UO made 3's at a higher clip than Klay Thompson did to win the NBA 3-point shootout is pretty unbelievable to think about. I doubt they make them at that rate in shoot-arounds.

Random shit happens, and we were the victim of it. My opinion.
Had you seen the game I doubt your opinion would change. It was a freak event. Shit happened, and we happened to be downhill of it.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I am actually over yesterdays game.

It will be interesting to see how the CATS respond.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

One of two things is true...

1. Oregon had a freaky good day and it was a fluke...
2. They are really good and win the Championship...

It's possible that there are other variables...but really if they play that well from here on out they run the tables...

I hate Oregon, they are the Duke of the Pac 12, they always get the nod from the commish and its all Phil Knights money and influence that creates the ass-worshiping kiss up culture from Larry ("great" as in a drag queen from space) Scott's brown stained lips...the refs love 'em and get free booze in their locker rooms...hated 'em ever since they had three players rob someone and not go to jail...I am sure there are skeletons all over that campus...Altman is the teflon covered mafia lord in all the John Wick movies...to see him get a natty would be like...well it would suck.
Kiyama

Post by Kiyama »

CatFanOneMil wrote:One of two things is true...

It's possible that there are other variables...but really if they play that well from here on out they run the tables...

I hate Oregon, they are the Duke of the Pac 12, they always get the nod from the commish and its all Phil Knights money and influence that creates the ass-worshiping kiss up culture from Larry ("great" as in a drag queen from space) Scott's brown stained lips...the refs love 'em and get free booze in their locker rooms...hated 'em ever since they had three players rob someone and not go to jail...I am sure there are skeletons all over that campus...Altman is the teflon covered mafia lord in all the John Wick movies...to see him get a natty would be like...well it would suck.
I don't think, if one is true the other is false. I think Oregon is really good AND had a freaky good day. We also had down day... we had some uncharacteristic turnovers and shot poorly. I do like how we at least tried to battle the 2nd half. You will loose 99 out of 100 times when your opponent shoots 65% from the floor and 64% from beyond the arc.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Alford getting a natty before Miller will bring a epic meltdown on this board.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:Alford getting a natty before Miller will bring a epic meltdown on this board.
Maybe this is just the start of the melt, but I will bet almost anything that does not happen.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

CalStateTempe wrote:Alford getting a natty before Miller will bring a epic meltdown on this board.

Not going to happen
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Can we post about the Atlanta Falcons in this thread?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Alieberman wrote:Can we post about the Atlanta Falcons in this thread?
That time I hit a hole in one, came home from mini-golf, tripped over my coffee table, and pooped my pants.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

CatFanOneMil wrote:One of two things is true...

Can't remember where I read it at, but Oregon had the 3rd best offensive game since 2004..ish. So I lean strongly towards #1.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

NCAA BB Team Shooting %
https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-baske ... ooting-pct" target="_blank

Oregon 48%

No. 1 my vote :!:
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

ASUHATER! wrote:Altman is just a better coach it seems.
They are both great coaches. Altman is one of the most underrated coaches in NCAA. Outside of zone defenses, the next biggest thing that gives Sean Miller's teams problems are the teams that are long and quick. Naturally, the winning coach is going to look like he is running circles around Miller.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Putting a few days between now and the game, here are some thoughts less tainted by emotion:

1. Oregon had a historic day. Tons of respect for them, what they did was incredible. They played with energy, great D and weren't missing.

2. We played subpar ball. We did not match their effort and intensity (except maybe Rawle). We probably weren't winning regardless, but we did ourselves no favors and the contrast in effort and intensity levels was shocking to the eye.

3. The year isn't over. We have a good record because we are a good team. We are a good team because of the good things we do. A blowout is always a test. You can respond by getting shook or by rededicating yourself to the habits and focus that made you do good things in the first place. Which path does this team take?

4. Saturday sucked, but if we finish strong, no one will remember. UConn's last title team got beat by 33 against Louisville. No one really cares after the tourney run.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Hank of sb wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:Hank you gotta understand that Oregon is just not a good matchup for us, they are a very good team and it was just their night. Altman is a great coach but he had nothing to do w a lot of those shots going in. Now, we could have played a hell of a lot better and it wouldnt have been embarrassing. But we didnt.

And if you think Pinder was the answer, I cant help you there. There is nothing he gives us over Comanche outside of less bonehead fouls.
I have never understood this argument. I remember fans covering for Lute (when he lost) saying Lute wasn't the one shooting.

Well, OK then. But its always about execution. Climbing the corporate ladder is much the same. Oregon didn't JUST shoot lights out; they did everything. Boucher is a human rim- protecting machine, the likes of which college basketball hasn't seen. Not this year anyways.

Is that defense of Boucher's, too, NOT about Altman?
It is about execution, you are correct. Meaning a coach gives his team the best set of tools and puts them in the best chance possible to succeed. Instead of having player A in a position to where he is going to have a contested look and a 35% chance at success, you do your job to get him in a position where he has a 45% chance at success. Regardless, he and his teammates still have to execute to get to that spot and then he has to make the shot, which he still is going to miss more than half the time. And sometimes it isn't their night and they miss all of them. Same goes for defense, but sometimes it is their night and they make 75% of them. That's sports and life.

Oregon did everything, yes. And who did everything against UCLA in Pauley a few weeks back? Just this past Thursday, Oregon barely beat a lousy-coached ASU team by one in Eugene. Tyler Dorsey shot 2 for 14 from deep in the three games that preceded ours. Against us he went 6 for 6. And Chris Boucher ranks 10th in the NCAA in shot blocks per game, so....
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

rgdeuce wrote:
Hank of sb wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:Hank you gotta understand that Oregon is just not a good matchup for us, they are a very good team and it was just their night. Altman is a great coach but he had nothing to do w a lot of those shots going in. Now, we could have played a hell of a lot better and it wouldnt have been embarrassing. But we didnt.

And if you think Pinder was the answer, I cant help you there. There is nothing he gives us over Comanche outside of less bonehead fouls.
I have never understood this argument. I remember fans covering for Lute (when he lost) saying Lute wasn't the one shooting.

Well, OK then. But its always about execution. Climbing the corporate ladder is much the same. Oregon didn't JUST shoot lights out; they did everything. Boucher is a human rim- protecting machine, the likes of which college basketball hasn't seen. Not this year anyways.

Is that defense of Boucher's, too, NOT about Altman?
It is about execution, you are correct. Meaning a coach gives his team the best set of tools and puts them in the best chance possible to succeed. Instead of having player A in a position to where he is going to have a contested look and a 35% chance at success, you do your job to get him in a position where he has a 45% chance at success. Regardless, he and his teammates still have to execute to get to that spot and then he has to make the shot, which he still is going to miss more than half the time. And sometimes it isn't their night and they miss all of them. Same goes for defense, but sometimes it is their night and they make 75% of them. That's sports and life.

Oregon did everything, yes. And who did everything against UCLA in Pauley a few weeks back? Just this past Thursday, Oregon barely beat a lousy-coached ASU team by one in Eugene. Tyler Dorsey shot 2 for 14 from deep in the three games that preceded ours. Against us he went 6 for 6. And Chris Boucher ranks 10th in the NCAA in shot blocks per game, so....
I would argue that the UCLA win was much about Alford and his defense. Alford's defense played into Arizona's hands and Arizona, in the process, found out they are pretty good at street ball, even better than UCLA.

OTOH, Arizona's loss to Oregon was all about Altman. Oregon's defense (forget about their offense for a moment) was lock down. So lock down that Arizona's lack of offense was exploited, indeed they scored but 18 points in the first half.

No one wins games scoring 18 points in a half.

Arizona won't get to a FF without Miller figuring out how to play a zone.

The season hangs in the balance.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Funny how both Hank of SB and Rise and Fire have a weird love for zone. Also, the idea of zone saving us from one of the greatest 3 point shooting onslaughts of all time makes me laugh. Zone is not exactly noted for being well tailored to stopping the 3.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I would get an "embarrassment" thread and all that goes with it had Arizona lost to Oregon State.

As it stands now, Arizona is in 1st place after having just lost to a good Oregon team at the biggest game of the season for them at their place. They now go to LA and Arizona goes home to face Stanford and Cal.

Now if people want to debate this and that and this and that, and talk about a zones, then go for it. But if this loss were by 1 the result would be the same.

Arizona got rolled. It happens to the best of em. This was a largely meaningless game IMO.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

we sweep stanford and cal this weekend and oregon loses to ucla or usc, we're back on top anyway. oregon's next 5 games are @ucla, @usc, utah, colorado and @cal. ours are stanford, cal, @washington, @wsu and usc. i'd still bet on us being no worse than tied with oregon going into the last 2 games.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

After the initial shock and frustration of seeing us down by 35 or more points on Saturday I'm totally over it now. We still can win the conference.
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Funny how both Hank of SB and Rise and Fire have a weird love for zone. Also, the idea of zone saving us from one of the greatest 3 point shooting onslaughts of all time makes me laugh. Zone is not exactly noted for being well tailored to stopping the 3.
What!

I have no "love for zone." I just want Arizona to show it can beat the zone. Please, show me (quote me) where.

And who is 'Rise and Fire?'
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Hank of sb wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Funny how both Hank of SB and Rise and Fire have a weird love for zone. Also, the idea of zone saving us from one of the greatest 3 point shooting onslaughts of all time makes me laugh. Zone is not exactly noted for being well tailored to stopping the 3.
What!

I have no "love for zone." I just want Arizona to show it can beat the zone. Please, show me (quote me) where.

Wait, you want Arizona to show it can beat the zone? Does Arizona have 3 wins or 3 losses?
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

Olsondogg wrote:
Hank of sb wrote:
What!

Wait, you want Arizona to show it can beat the zone? Does Arizona have 3 wins or 3 losses?
I believe there is a consensus, even on this board, that Arizona's offense bogs down every time it faces the zone. Sometimes the offense loses momentum; sometimes the offense comes to a halt.

This issue will need to be overcome in order to get to a FF.

As Harvey Spector might say, "My opinion."
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Hank of sb wrote:
What!

When you said a prerequisite to a Final Four is "Miller figuring out how to play a zone" I took it as Miller playing zone defense. If by playing zone you meant beat the zone, that's a different thing.

If it was a misunderstanding based on words, fair enough. We're really not that bad against the zone, IMO. It is not a strength, but we've beaten a number of zones this year. Our success/failure tends to revolve around how well we shoot the three, which is always streaky.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Hank of sb wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
Hank of sb wrote:
What!

I believe there is a consensus, even on this board, that Arizona's offense bogs down every time it faces the zone. Sometimes the offense loses momentum; sometimes the offense comes to a halt.

This issue must be overcome!!! AAAHHH!!! No final 4 unless the offense never loses momentum, especially against the dreaded zone...even though there isn't evidence of mounting losses....AAAAHHHH!!
Dave

Post by Dave »

The only way you get better attacking a zone is through practice. The problem is no one on our team is actually good at playing a zone defense. Miller tells the scout team to set up in a zone defense and our starter's shred it. We're good to go right? Wrong!
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Hank of sb wrote:
What!

When you said a prerequisite to a Final Four is "Miller figuring out how to play a zone" I took it as Miller playing zone defense. If by playing zone you meant beat the zone, that's a different thing.

If it was a misunderstanding based on words, fair enough. We're really not that bad against the zone, IMO. It is not a strength, but we've beaten a number of zones this year. Our success/failure tends to revolve around how well we shoot the three, which is always streaky.
Yeah, it was my wording.......my bad. Sorry.
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

Dave wrote:The only way you get better attacking a zone is through practice. The problem is no one on our team is actually good at playing a zone defense. Miller tells the scout team to set up in a zone defense and our starter's shred it. We're good to go right? Wrong!
Perfectly put.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Olsondogg wrote:
Hank of sb wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
Hank of sb wrote:
What!

This issue must be overcome!!! AAAHHH!!! No final 4 unless the offense never loses momentum, especially against the dreaded zone...even though there isn't evidence of mounting losses....AAAAHHHH!!
Some content in response would be valuable in this case.

Hank, while you're right about us bogging down against the zone, I think you're underestimating the number of teams that hang around till the Elite Eight that actually play a zone. The Oregon game wasn't about us underperforming against a zone but about us underperforming against the best defense in the Conference. We'd have had problems against Oregon's team defense whether it was man or zone. They're simply long and athletic, and Friday night they played with a boatload of energy and emotion.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

Puerco wrote:

Hank, while you're right about us bogging down against the zone, I think you're underestimating the number of teams that hang around till the Elite Eight that actually play a zone. The Oregon game wasn't about us underperforming against a zone but about us underperforming against the best defense in the Conference. We'd have had problems against Oregon's team defense whether it was man or zone. They're simply long and athletic, and Friday night they played with a boatload of energy and emotion.

"Best defense in the Conference." I think you are right.

And Oregon, as well as Gonzaga, seem to be worthy #1 seeds right now.

That's really what is grating me.
prh

Post by prh »

Hank of sb wrote:
Puerco wrote:

"Best defense in the Conference." I think you are right.

And Oregon, as well as Gonzaga, seem to be worthy #1 seeds right now.

That's really what is grating me.
Of the top 10, two teams have 0-2 losses, 6 teams have 3 losses, and 2 teams have 4 losses. The top two are probably locked in as 1 seeds, but the remaining two spots are really up for grabs over the last month of the season. And if Oregon is a 1 and gets sent east, and we are the West 2 with Gonzaga, I think we'd be pretty happy.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Dave wrote:The only way you get better attacking a zone is through practice. The problem is no one on our team is actually good at playing a zone defense. Miller tells the scout team to set up in a zone defense and our starter's shred it. We're good to go right? Wrong!
I'm not sure how to address this. I have little doubt that Miller, as every coach does, spends the teaching time on our actual D and tries to have the majority of game situations in practice reflect actual lineups vs the defensive look he is looking to address.

Looking better in practice is always an issue. Zone tends to require different skills to do well in a game because so much of success is cutting and shooting. There is a lot less in terms of making plays off the dribble.

Especially in trying to integrate Trier, I doubt Miller wants to burn time putting rotation guys heavily into zone looks just for practice. I think we may need to accept something that UCLA gave us a false confidence regarding: we need this next month to develop and come together. We looked good against UCLA and people got an inflated sense of where we are.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Well it was also a bit of a timing thing...lets see if we pull out of it...consider...

Lauri and Kobi crashed into each other in the "freshman wall" in Oregon...
Trier mixed the "PED return chemistry is off" concoction in Oregon...
Miller wore the "dumb coaching assignment stubborn refusal to change" shirt at Oregon...
Ristic caught the "best imitation of Zeus soft hands down low" flu during the Oregon game...
PJC and Kadeem baked the "best turnover to assists in negatives" dessert in Oregon...
And Oregon baked the "Wisconsin Jumbo three point Armageddon pizza with zombie zone from hell" to end a terrible trip...

The first five items in this grocery list can be worked through...the last two depend on us taking care of our own issues...

At least twice Trier drove into the teeth of the zone while Lauri stood outside wide open for a three...he didn't even look for him...I don't know if that was planned or the fog of war but it looked terrible...even when he did get fouled.

Oy Vey whadda ya gonna do? Take you lumps and learn...
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Funny how good you look when you hit shots and how bad you do when you don't. We have not been playing well and LM had a terrible road trip Not concerned unless his skid continues.

I am a little concerned about any loss of confidence but I am hoping we have more resolve and play with more urgency. Furd is improved and remember we embarrassed them at home so they will be ready.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

5/10 top 10 teams lost this weekend. 3 at home to unranked opponents.

If anyone is more embarrassed about a loss at a potential #1 seed at their place when Arizona actually beat them inside the arc...then well, whatever.
psiclist23

Post by psiclist23 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I'm not sure how to address this. I have little doubt that Miller, as every coach does, spends the teaching time on our actual D and tries to have the majority of game situations in practice reflect actual lineups vs the defensive look he is looking to address.

Looking better in practice is always an issue. Zone tends to require different skills to do well in a game because so much of success is cutting and shooting. There is a lot less in terms of making plays off the dribble.

Especially in trying to integrate Trier, I doubt Miller wants to burn time putting rotation guys heavily into zone looks just for practice. I think we may need to accept something that UCLA gave us a false confidence regarding: we need this next month to develop and come together. We looked good against UCLA and people got an inflated sense of where we are.
We also got a good look at what's possible.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Olsondogg wrote:5/10 top 10 teams lost this weekend. 3 at home to unranked opponents.

If anyone is more embarrassed about a loss at a potential #1 seed at their place when Arizona actually beat them inside the arc...then well, whatever.
And #4 the ville just lost at #12 Virginia by 20 something points.

So Oregon jets blown out by 24 points to Baylor and we lose to Oregon by 28 points so that means we would lose to Baylor by 52 points!

I am not saying the lose to Oregon wasn't embarrassing because it was but it was a crazy once with 3-4 year span game that every team in America can lose.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

3goggles wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:5/10 top 10 teams lost this weekend. 3 at home to unranked opponents.

And #4 the ville just lost at #12 Virginia by 20 something points.

So Oregon jets blown out by 24 points to Baylor and we lose to Oregon by 28 points so that means we would lose to Baylor by 52 points!

I am not saying the lose to Oregon wasn't embarrassing because it was but it was a crazy once with 3-4 year span game that every team in America can lose.
16 points, but close enough
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

azcat49 wrote:Funny how good you look when you hit shots and how bad you do when you don't. We have not been playing well and LM had a terrible road trip Not concerned unless his skid continues.
This is the jist of it, really. We have done well against several zones this year. The common theme, we hit our open jumpshots in those games. You can practice against the zone til you are blue in the face, but if you dont hit your open shots, you likely are going to have a rough go all night. Not saying there isn't room for improvement (guys being stagnant, guys not cutting, guys making poor decisions, burning the clock with pointless dribbling or passing that is not done specifically to open up a good shot, etc). The idea, at least in my opinion, is to get good/easy shots early in the game or half and make them, so the opposing coach says ok, they are hitting, lets go back to our primary defense. Our slow starts and lack of urgency encourages them to keep that defense out there. If their primary defense is a zone and they have to keep it out there, making those shots opens up holes that we are better suited to attack anyhow.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Kiyama wrote:I don't think, if one is true the other is false. I think Oregon is really good AND had a freaky good day.
As has been pointed out by many around this game, it was like the Wisconsin Elite Eight game in '15...for 2 halves. The difference there was we played pretty damn well, too, and kept the game within reach, and it took every. damn. one of those threes to beat us.

Oregon got "do this with the gym empty and no defense and I'd be impressed" shooting for the game mixed with a poor game by us, in their gym, and things happened. It got out of hand. It actually crossed the line into comical, as much laughing as can be done while watching a painfully dark comedy.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Wait, what does 'when Arizona actually beat them inside the arc' even mean? Does that have anything to do with a scoreboard or a result? No? Didn't think so.

I hope to hell the players thought this was an embarrassment. I don't think it was, but I hope they do.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Puerco wrote:Wait, what does 'when Arizona actually beat them inside the arc' even mean? Does that have anything to do with a scoreboard or a result? No? Didn't think so.

I hope to hell the players thought this was an embarrassment. I don't think it was, but I hope they do.

It means what it means. If you can't figure it out then you are Puerco.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

That game meant very little and should be forgotten, other than to remind the team what can happen when you don't come to play. There were problems with our D of course, and making shots, but when a team is lighting it up like that from 3 there is nothing you can do. Most of the 3's they made didn't even touch rim. The 3-ball can provide a lead or cut a lead in a HURRY. Making 6 or so threes doesn't even sound like much, but right there you probably have a 15-20 point lead if you knock down 6 threes in 5 minutes or whatever cuz someone or a couple players got hot. Especially on the road...game over. Nobody in the country is coming into McKale and winning if AZ knock down 10 threes in a half. Now we just pray it doesn't happen to us again in the tourney like two years ago.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Irish27 wrote:Jimmer scores 73.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1871 ... eague-game" target="_blank
I prefer Bobby Brown's 74 to Jimmer's 73. It's my prerogative.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Geez, first it's Kadeem's finger and then a "Jimmer" mention. I'm trying to have a Sunday here.
Right where I want to be.