2016-2017 Arizona Basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

PHXCATS

Re: 2016-2017 Arizona Basketball

Post by PHXCATS »

Much much much better tonight. Didn't like a few things, mainly the D in the first half, but so much better today!
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Maybe we should sit one of the guards every game
Last edited by NYCat on Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
baconus66

Post by baconus66 »

The question would be who do you bench?

Bring Kadeem off the bench or sit Rawle and start Kadeem at the 2

I like

PJC
Allen
Trier
Markkanen
Ristic
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

baconus66 wrote:The question would be who do you bench?

I like

PJC
Allen
Trier
Markkanen
Ristic
I think this is the starting lineup Miller and his staff foreseen in the offseason that never took flight.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

baconus66 wrote:The question would be who do you bench?

I like

PJC
Allen
Trier
Markkanen
Ristic
I think I would describe this lineup as having two and a half defensive problems.

You can have some defensive problems in a lineup, but not that much (imo).
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

I think I like a lineup of

PJC
Allen
Alkins
Lauri
Dusan

Bring trier and Simmons and chance for PJC , alkins, and dusan in at under 16 and go from there.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

NYCat wrote:
NYCat wrote:7 ARIZONA WILDCATS
LAST WEEK: 9
RECORD: 23–3

Staying on the topic of efficiency splits, I used HoopLens.com data to look at Arizona since sophomore shooting guard Allonzo Trier’s ’16–17 debut on Jan. 21. Although the Wildcats’ offense has been better (as expected) with him on the floor, they’ve been a superior defensive team—and a superior team overall—when he’s on the bench

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/20 ... lor-oregon" target="_blank

PPG, this also corroborates better defense, and overall team (point differential) without Trier - but also offensive PPG is also down.

All this to say that the team has taken a noticeable step back since his return. Although today so far PJC is moving the ball slightly better.
This story ends with Final Four announcers boring the shit out of us by rehashing for the 3,000th time how at first team chemistry was disrupted when Miller reinserted Trier into the starting lineup but the team figured it out right before the conference tourney and have been on a roll ever since.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
gumby

Post by gumby »

I promise to be interested, if it that happens.

Better game! (Or does that imply something I shouldn't imply?) Biggest margin of victory since Reagan! Didn't like the fake fouls, but the refs are just covering for the failure that is Larry Scott and the Pac-12 contract.

Lock him up!

Can't fathom why Alkins wouldn't start at this juncture. So solid. Terrific game by Parker ... and on the road! I'm going to come out and say it. That Pollard guy on Wazzu? Worst player on the floor for both teams.

Lauri was aggressive. Really took it to Hawkinson. Kobi is getting to be money with that corrner three. Chance is really developing a nice touch.

Crushed them on the boards, with Trier nabbing a bunch. Overall, defense was solid. I'm pleased, so coach should be pleased. Or is it the other way around?

Though there was the one possession when ...
Right where I want to be.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Looking forward to the responses to your post gumby.

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Reviewing the box score, it's interesting that the two teams had virtually identical fg%.

The difference was that we crushed them on the glass and shot the 3 very well. Between outrebounding them by 14 and them having 3 more TO's, we won that game with total possessions.

It was a good, positive game, but I would like to see us bring the opposition fg% down further. It's still a work in progress, but it's nice to say that at 13-1 and 24-3.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Reviewing the box score, it's interesting that the two teams had virtually identical fg%.

The difference was that we crushed them on the glass and shot the 3 very well. Between outrebounding them by 14 and them having 3 more TO's, we won that game with total possessions.

It was a good, positive game, but I would like to see us bring the opposition fg% down further. It's still a work in progress, but it's nice to say that at 13-1 and 24-3.
Spotlights the importance of rebounding and taking care of the ball. Increases our possessions, limits the opponent's. So even when they shoot a decent percentage, they only score 59 points.

Oh, shout-out to Pinder for running down Ike, who he doesn't like, and rejecting what looked to be a sure dunk.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

gumby wrote:Damn. Best defender. Don't see the reference to stitches.
Cub Reporter here, Gumby: http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... 8b3d1.html" target="_blank

".....assuming he's safe from infection....."

Stitches, blood, "poking out"(from somewhere else). Sounds clearly like a compound where the head of the bone pushed through out through the skin at one of the joints. I'd think Deem and RJC would have sought advice and help fast and not touched the bone(especially) since it's extremely prone to infection.

I experienced this exact compound dislocation blocking a volleyball spike. I pushed the bone back through the wound and pulled my right pinky hard to reset the dislocation. When I got to a doctor his first words were "Brilliant. Don't you know you never, ever touch a protruding bone?!". Actually, I did know-----which made my action even more brilliant.

FWIW, I was in a Tournament two days later and and felt OK passing, setting and spiking. Pain was OK, but of course I got a buzz to help it out. :o
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

EOCT wrote:
Cub Reporter here, Gumby: http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... 8b3d1.html" target="_blank

Stitches, blood, "poking out". Sounds clearly like a compound where the head of the bone pushed out through the skin at one of the joints. I'd think Deem and RJC would have sought advice and help fast and not touched the bone(especially) since it's extremely prone to infection.

I experienced this exact compound dislocation blocking a volleyball spike. I pushed the bone back through the wound and pulled my right pinky hard to reset the dislocation so I could finish the game. When I got to a doctor his first words were "Brilliant. Don't you know you never, ever touch a protruding bone?!". Actually, I did know-----which made my action even more brilliant.

FWIW, I was in a Tournament two days later and and felt OK passing, setting and spiking. Pain was OK, but of course I got a buzz to help it out. :o
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

EOCT wrote:

Stitches, blood, "poking out"(from somewhere else). Sounds clearly like a compound where the head of the bone pushed through out through the skin at one of the joints. I'd think Deem and RJC would have sought advice and help fast and not touched the bone(especially) since it's extremely prone to infection.

I experienced this exact compound dislocation blocking a volleyball spike. I pushed the bone back through the wound and pulled my right pinky hard to reset the dislocation. When I got to a doctor his first words were "Brilliant. Don't you know you never, ever touch a protruding bone?!". Actually, I did know-----which made my action even more brilliant.

First, EOCT, kudos to you....you sound like a real stud! Sincerely.

Second, for those of us a bit squeamish at blood and guts, holy crap, what a nasty freak injury...I was going to post about this last night my time but didn't......watched CSM's presser post WSU and you could tell even he thought it was pretty nasty.

How the heck can you get a compound dislocation like that and not break the bone is frickin' amazing to a layman like me....Dayummmmm, glad I didn't have to see it! ;-)

Kadeem's one tough Dude though.....hope he heals asap. BTFD Kadeem.....Dusan too.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:I promise to be interested, if it that happens.

Better game! (Or does that imply something I shouldn't imply?) Biggest margin of victory since Reagan! Didn't like the fake fouls, but the refs are just covering for the failure that is Larry Scott and the Pac-12 contract.

Lock him up!

Can't fathom why Alkins wouldn't start at this juncture. So solid. Terrific game by Parker ... and on the road! I'm going to come out and say it. That Pollard guy on Wazzu? Worst player on the floor for both teams.

Lauri was aggressive. Really took it to Hawkinson. Kobi is getting to be money with that corrner three. Chance is really developing a nice touch.

Crushed them on the boards, with Trier nabbing a bunch. Overall, defense was solid. I'm pleased, so coach should be pleased. Or is it the other way around?

The media is the enemy of the American people!
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

EOCT wrote: I experienced this exact compound dislocation blocking a volleyball spike. I pushed the bone back through the wound and pulled my right pinky hard to reset the dislocation. When I got to a doctor his first words were "Brilliant. Don't you know you never, ever touch a protruding bone?!". Actually, I did know-----which made my action even more brilliant.

Damn dude!

Once upon a time, Tucson had a pro volleyball team, "The Tucson Sky". I forget his name, but one of the guys had messed up his fingers so many times and they were so weak that he taped his fingers together so they wouldn't over extend every time he touched the ball.

I just fucked up my back going over backwards for a ball that I should have just let go out.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Just screwed up my knee playing for the first time in more than 10 years. That'll teach me!
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

There really isn't any combination of players you can put on the floor that won't have at least some defensive weakness somewhere.

To me our 4 best players are:
PJC
Alkins
Simmons
Lauri

Followed by:
Trier
Allen
Dusan

Allen and Trier to me currently are in the second tier because they're playing that way. Let me submit Allen is just a disaster running the offense. Yes, he's good defensively, but it comes at an overall cost to the O, a serious cost in terms of flow. Go to a game and see for yourself live and in person, you'll see the overall effect on spacing you can't see on TV. Trier takes a lot of shots and misses a lot and charges and does dumb things out of control right now. But I'm certainly all for either one playing better!

Followed closely by:
Chance

Followed by:
Pinder

So I just say play our 4 best players and Dusan to start and be done with it, then bring Allen in for some lockdown D on whoever is playing well on the opposing team to work them over. Trier comes in for a heat check, to see if he's some instant O that night or otherwise into the game passing and rebounding, which he shows life sometimes with.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Completely off topic...buuut...pgu twitter account suggesting Ace died...anyone hear that?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

CatFanOneMil wrote:Completely off topic...buuut...pgu twitter account suggesting Ace died...anyone hear that?
Last page.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2402" target="_blank
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Everybody hop on board the #KeepChanceFree wagon
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Main Event wrote:Everybody hop on board the #KeepChanceFree wagon
I just think Ristic is a more dangerous scoring threat coming off the bench. He's for scoring. Chance is looking like a complete player, and he complements Markkanen in his new position on the block. The spacing wouldn't work with Ristic and Markkanen both down low, even when Ristic moves to the high post. We saw that last year with him and Tarc.
waysouthcat

Post by waysouthcat »

But did we beat the awful Huskies by enough to assuage my fears?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

waysouthcat wrote:But did we beat the awful Huskies by enough to assuage my fears?
Fears of what?
waysouthcat

Post by waysouthcat »

General undifferentiated anxieties of the program trajectory, lack of zone defense and the whole vibe of the thing.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

waysouthcat wrote:General undifferentiated anxieties of the program trajectory, lack of zone defense and the whole vibe of the thing.
Sorry, I'm just trying to understand. What do you mean by lack of zone defense? Isn't Miller's switch to the 2-3 how we won the game? With two starters out with injuries?
waysouthcat

Post by waysouthcat »

I guess my sarcasm needs work. I am mocking recent complaints of various posters regarding zone defense, not beating teams by enough, etc, etc.

Back to your regular programming.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

waysouthcat wrote:I guess my sarcasm needs work. I am mocking recent complaints of various posters regarding zone defense, not beating teams by enough, etc, etc.

I have an infant and haven't slept all week. I shouldn't be up.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I like our chances of finishing in the top five of the conference.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

azgreg wrote:I like our chances of finishing in the top five of the conference.
Not bad for a down year
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

waysouthcat wrote:I guess my sarcasm needs work. I am mocking recent complaints of various posters regarding zone defense, not beating teams by enough, etc, etc.

Why would you be mocking posters for wanting zone defense immediately after Miller successfully employed a zone for the first time? That makes no sense.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Didn't see the game, but that's really ana amazing result on the road with two starters out. I was worried about this one. Way to go team.
jsbowl16

Post by jsbowl16 »

We just beat two teams that had a combined six wins in conference when we played them. The one we won big the team played man defense. We are supposed to win these games. This weekend will be a good measuring stick to see where we are against other tournament teams.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Uh, we were missing 40% of our starting lineup. Credit where due.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

We swept the Bay Area, LA and Washington schools on the road.

Not bad at all no matter what year you are talking about.
ALASKACAT

Post by ALASKACAT »

Gave up 20 offensive boards, majority playing 2-3 zone or so it seemed. Of course it was off set by 21 offensive boards of our own.
gumby

Post by gumby »

EOCT wrote:

Yuck. I'm trying to eat my cornflakes here!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Longhorned wrote:
gumby wrote:I promise to be interested, if it that happens.

Lock him up!

The media is the enemy of the American people!
Media ARE! Plural, baby! And we are everywhere!
gumby

Post by gumby »

TheGreatCatsby wrote:There really isn't any combination of players you can put on the floor that won't have at least some defensive weakness somewhere.

To me our 4 best players are:
PJC
Alkins
Simmons
Lauri

Followed by:
Trier
Allen
Dusan

Allen and Trier to me currently are in the second tier because they're playing that way. Let me submit Allen is just a disaster running the offense. Yes, he's good defensively, but it comes at an overall cost to the O, a serious cost in terms of flow. Go to a game and see for yourself live and in person, you'll see the overall effect on spacing you can't see on TV. Trier takes a lot of shots and misses a lot and charges and does dumb things out of control right now. But I'm certainly all for either one playing better!

Followed closely by:
Chance

Followed by:
Pinder

So I just say play our 4 best players and Dusan to start and be done with it, then bring Allen in for some lockdown D on whoever is playing well on the opposing team to work them over. Trier comes in for a heat check, to see if he's some instant O that night or otherwise into the game passing and rebounding, which he shows life sometimes with.
Just when you have things figured out, Alkins and Simmons shoot a combined 2/15, Trier scores an efficient 21, and Chief, er, Chance puts up 13 and 7 in his first game with starter minutes.

I get it when people say a particular player needs to be more consistent, but compared to what? Sure, Parker, who had a terrific road trip, needs to be more consistent. They all do.

But, come on, Kadeem "Tony" Allen is one of our four best players, unless you believe defense (half the game) is just an afterthought. If healthy, he's starting, whether it's with the ball or off the ball.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

84Cat wrote:
azgreg wrote:I like our chances of finishing in the top five of the conference.
Not bad for a down year
Should help us grab a #1 seed in the NIT.
-JB
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Puerco wrote:Didn't see the game, but that's really ana amazing result on the road with two starters out. I was worried about this one. Way to go team.
Youre correct. Missing two starters, on the road, thats Washingtons super bowl, and despite their record they still have Fultz. That was a very good win.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Unleash Comanche!!!!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Totally, I am loving Comanches role as "glue guy"

Just love watching him when he's in the floor. He does all the little things right.
CatMG

Post by CatMG »

rgdeuce wrote:
Puerco wrote:Didn't see the game, but that's really ana amazing result on the road with two starters out. I was worried about this one. Way to go team.
Youre correct. Missing two starters, on the road, thats Washingtons super bowl, and despite their record they still have Fultz. That was a very good win.
I am not sure how a team with a player that seems to be a consensus top pick in the 2017 draft can be 9-18/2-13. And once you get past the top three, the Pac-12 isn't exactly a brutal conference this year. Something tells me that if Miller had UW's team this season, he would have them at a "tad" better than 9-18.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

What's with Waslton calling him Chief. I don't believe him (Walton) when he says that it what his Mom and Chance wants him to be called.

As for Miller, clear choice for COY.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

azcat49 wrote:What's with Waslton calling him Chief. I don't believe him (Walton) when he says that it what his Mom and Chance wants him to be called.
I think it's because of Chance's last name.

Also, don't forget he played with Robert Parrish so I think he's fond of the nickname.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Pasch said Chance's mom's Twitter account references him as "Chief" so he guesses it's OK?
-JB
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Big week of ball. We get the LA schools and UCLA will be ready, as will McKale.

Oregon has to go to the bay and Furd has really improve. Cal needs a marquee win bad and should play Oregon tough.

We might move up to 4 in the polls and if we beat the Bruins again and say Cal beats Oregon. I have to wonder if we might be moving west?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »