Parker Jackson-Cartwright

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: Parker Jackson-Cartwright

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Main Event wrote:PJC, Kadeem, Trier, Lauri, Chance. That's your 5
Of our perimeter rotation, I only see Kadeem's D as setting him apart. Other than that, play whoever is producing.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Back to PJC....again, am so impressed with his performance last week....hope he continues. Have seen CSM praise his shooting in practices before but obviously that hasn't translated into game performance until now.

Any opinions on how much was related to injury and/or confidence? Man, when he shoots it looks like a good stroke / form to my layman's eyes. Damn, we need him as a 3 point threat.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

EVCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:From the outside perspective, PJC seems to have a huge thing with confidence tied to his shots going down. When he makes jumpers, he is far more aggressive and makes things happen.
This is spot on with my observations, too. And after watching that documentary on him in high school and watching his stock decline player ranking update after player ranking update, and how his dad would jump him about his game, I think he is constantly looking over his shoulder. It is more than just shot confidence...it seems to be overall confidence, though certainly, that squares with what you observe that his whole game gets better when he makes a couple.

Take away the threat of the bench, or even the threat of criticism like when he came back with a still injured foot and started dropping dimes to Dusan like an old pro, and he becomes a different player.

The thing I see with him is he is scared of losing time and making a mistake, but if you just give him the keys with no competition, like when Kadeem was sick last year, he starts trying to do too much. It seems difficult to find that middle ground, between him doing everything tight as a tourniquet fearing a benching and him trying to shine when he has the floor unabated.

And both behaviors are typically associated with self-esteem issues. The fear of rejection, and the swagger when accepted. He has gotten over his issues playing in foreign environments without crowd adulation, so he has shown ability to grow. Consistency is a huge ongoing issue with his play, and I would bet that, beyond the actual playing deficiencies that come with being 5'8" and not possessing otherworldly speed or hops, self-confidence is at the root of much of his uneven play.
BW. I think this is the best analysis of PJC that I have read and of course I think it is spot on.

I just hope he keeps it up as his shot has been money in at least 3 of the 4 twenty minute periods of the Washington trip
Last edited by azcat49 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Bangkok Wildcat

azcat49 wrote:
EVCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:From the outside perspective, PJC seems to have a huge thing with confidence tied to his shots going down. When he makes jumpers, he is far more aggressive and makes things happen.
This is spot on with my observations, too. And after watching that documentary on him in high school and watching his stock decline player ranking update after player ranking update, and how his dad would jump him about his game, I think he is constantly looking over his shoulder. It is more than just shot confidence...it seems to be overall confidence, though certainly, that squares with what you observe that his whole game gets better when he makes a couple.

Take away the threat of the bench, or even the threat of criticism like when he came back with a still injured foot and started dropping dimes to Dusan like an old pro, and he becomes a different player.

The thing I see with him is he is scared of losing time and making a mistake, but if you just give him the keys with no competition, like when Kadeem was sick last year, he starts trying to do too much. It seems difficult to find that middle ground, between him doing everything tight as a tourniquet fearing a benching and him trying to shine when he has the floor unabated.

And both behaviors are typically associated with self-esteem issues. The fear of rejection, and the swagger when accepted. He has gotten over his issues playing in foreign environments without crowd adulation, so he has shown ability to grow. Consistency is a huge ongoing issue with his play, and I would bet that, beyond the actual playing deficiencies that come with being 5'8" and not possessing otherworldly speed or hops, self-confidence is at the root of much of his uneven play.
BW. I think this is the best analysis of PJC that I have read and of course I think it is spot on.

I just hope he keeps it up as his shot has been money at least in the first 3 halfs of the Washington trip
Thanks azcat49! I missed this post...ooops. Really good insight EVCat....I got to watch At All Costs too so your analysis really hits home to me...thanks for the post.

So I guess being Head Coach at Arizona isn't as easy as I thought, lol. Here's to PJC getting healthier, more confident, and being a big key to our team. BTFD PJC!
gumby

Post by gumby »

KaibabKat wrote:PJC's worst game this season was against USC.
Lauri's was the most recent game against Cal or Stanford. Sure, he's hot now, but if we see those teams again ...
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Main Event wrote:PJC, Kadeem, Trier, Lauri, Chance. That's your 5
Of our perimeter rotation, I only see Kadeem's D as setting him apart. Other than that, play whoever is producing.
Yes. See how easy that is? Next phase for PJC comes if teams adjust to the fact that he's hitting shots again. Does he then drive and make things happen? Falter?

Stay tuned. Sure helps being healthier.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I know the sentiments on PJC that go back and forth, from poster to poster...but I feel like he should start on Thursday night. Keep the train rolling.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

EVCat wrote:

Very interesting insight EV. Cool stuff. 8-)
Bangkok Wildcat

Watching 'At All Costs' should almost be a pre-requisite for posting on PJC.....talk about a real eye opener as to who this young man is and where he came from!
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:Watching 'At All Costs' should almost be a pre-requisite for posting on PJC.....talk about a real eye opener as to who this young man is and where he came from!
It, honestly, made me gain respect for him. He was so calm and measured while his dad acted the fool.

Sometimes these kids have to beat the opponent and the forces in their own corner to be successful. When Dad is half ego-driven coach/half bro (go getcha some pussy, Parker!), who is your mentor?
Bangkok Wildcat

EVCat wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:Watching 'At All Costs' should almost be a pre-requisite for posting on PJC.....talk about a real eye opener as to who this young man is and where he came from!
It, honestly, made me gain respect for him. He was so calm and measured while his dad acted the fool.

Sometimes these kids have to beat the opponent and the forces in their own corner to be successful. When Dad is half ego-driven coach/half bro (go getcha some pussy, Parker!), who is your mentor?
Yeah, me too EV....maybe the 'fool' comment is a bit harsh but you can easily see why PJC seems so reserved and maybe has some self-esteem or confidence issues. Would be really interesting if any of the board members who are educated in Psychology chimed in.

In any case, I'm really excited and nervous to see how he plays this week as we really need him to do continue his elevated level of play. Bear Down.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Our starting pg for the rest of the year
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

PJC just dominated. I loved the block. He is really starting to peak at the right time.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Unreal, more like 5'6"

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

oof
Bangkok Wildcat

Great game by PJC. 5-1 A/TO, 3-4 from 3 point land, 1 block, 2 Offensive Rebounds, 2 steals....great game and momentum PJC!
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

He's the best at running the point and breaking a zone, found his shot and is being more aggressive attacking.

It would be a shame if he's subbed vs better one guards like Ball, and potential matchups like Frank Mason.

He should be the starter.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

he definitely looks more confident, like he knows he earned his way on the floor this time.

I hope it continues...
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Poetic justice by blocking Bennie Boatwright.

If we happen to play Oregon this year, I hope he stuffs Dillon Brooks...who falls into the stands crying without a whistle.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

& Bennie was playing really well last night too. Made it even sweeter.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Our offense flows like butter when PJC is in. Who care how he "projects", cats are so much better with him distributing.
gumby

Post by gumby »

“The guy I’m most proud of is Parker,” Miller said. “He’s gone through a lot. A high ankle sprain for a basketball player, it’s not an easy injury for anybody but it really took him out of things for two months. He wasn’t shooting the ball well for a long time.”
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:& Bennie was playing really well last night too. Made it even sweeter.
Of course he did, Arizona decided not to pursue him, so naturally he went off on us. It's the Tyler Dorsey effect.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

i like to look at things in five game increments, as that gives a better indication of how a player and/or team is performing versus game to game, IMO.

below are the averages for PJC over the last five conf games:

27.8mpg - 9.6ppg - 56%fg - 64.7%3pt - 69.2%ft - 3.2apg - 2.8rpg - 2spg - 1.6tpg

over this stretch, i still saw instances where he gets taken advantage defensively due to lack size and strength, or has stretches where his play can be uneven (last six minutes of the Washington Game), but Parker Jackson Cartwright deserves major props and credit for being a vital cog in Arizona's successes -- specifically over these last five games.

he has done it on the road, at home, and during a stretch of important conf games when others around him have been uneven themselves -- he has picked up the slack and proven it on the floor, thats being a leader.

as someone who has be critical of him i think its appropriate that i give credit where credit is due, in this instance its not in a vacuum -- he has been very solid and has stepped up and taken control of his own play more positively than ive seen over any five game stretch of meaningful games since coming to Arizona.

these last five games were during the back third of Conf play when the urgency is heightened and play tends to tighten up from all opponents as each team is scratching, clawing, and fighting for their post-season lives.

kudos to you PJC -- you have shown up and performed BIG-TIME when your team has needed you most
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote:i like to look at things in five game increments, as that gives a better indication of how a player and/or team is performing versus game to game, IMO.

below are the averages for PJC over the last five conf games:

27.8mpg - 9.6ppg - 56%fg - 64.7%3pt - 69.2%ft - 3.2apg - 2.8rpg - 2spg - 1.6tpg

over this stretch, i still saw instances where he gets taken advantage defensively due to lack size and strength, or has stretches where his play can be uneven (last six minutes of the Washington Game), but Parker Jackson Cartwright deserves major props and credit for being a vital cog in Arizona's successes -- specifically over these last five games.

he has done it on the road, at home, and during a stretch of important conf games when others around him have been uneven themselves -- he has picked up the slack and proven it on the floor, thats being a leader.

as someone who has be critical of him i think its appropriate that i give credit where credit is due, in this instance its not in a vacuum -- he has been very solid and has stepped up and taken control of his own play more positively than ive seen over any five game stretch of meaningful games since coming to Arizona.

these last five games were during the back third of Conf play when the urgency is heightened and play tends to tighten up from all opponents as each team is scratching, clawing, and fighting for their post-season lives.

kudos to you PJC -- you have shown up and performed BIG-TIME when your team has needed you most
I have also been somewhat critical of PJC. Like I said earlier, I've always felt that one of his major issues is consistency. When he shoots well, he makes a good impact (although he will always have defensive limitations).

That's what I hope for him, that he is finally sorting out the consistency issues and we will see this sort of performance regularly.
baconus66

Post by baconus66 »

He still get's taken advantage of defensively because of his size, especially on transition and after screens and switches, but I have noticed a significant improvement lately. He has developed this really tight, twitchy one on one defensive style where he never stops moving and is constantly swinging his arms up and to the sides. It's kind of hilarious to watch but I think it is buying him a couple inches. Regardless it is clear that he has been working very hard to become the best defensive player he can be with the tools he has been given.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Sometimes I forget that every team has key players with big limitations. It gets trickier when the playmaker whom your offense depends on is limited when it comes to guarding the point. Not every team can have a Lonzo Ball (who truly has no limitations), but that's where coaching comes in, and the ability of a player to take to coaching and do what he can to avoid his man taking it to his chest by doing what Baconus observes.

I take it that the strategy against Ball and UCLA will be to put PJC on Ball and see if Ball can beat Arizona on his own while our defenders make the game hard for positions 2-5. Instead of chopping the head off the monster, hold down its limbs and endure all the biting until you reach the buzzer. That way Arizona can keep its best offense on the floor and score enough to win. Let Ball choose who he'll guard, and where to direct his own limited energy.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Defensively, he is at his best when he mitigates his weaknesses with his active hands and ability to be a pest. We have the depth and Arizona does not live or die by whether or not he is on the floor, so I think he should have free reign to really dig in guys' asses (pause). His shooting is playing out exactly like last year, very slow starter and that extends for a while, but he eventually finds it and becomes one of our best 3 point shooters. He has been impressive the last few games.
baconus66

Post by baconus66 »

Also worth noting he has maybe the best 3pt shot selection on the team. Even when he came back from the injury and was missing everything I don't think there was a single "bad" shot. He takes what the defense gives him and if they don't give him the shot he gets the ball elsewhere.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:Defensively, he is at his best when he mitigates his weaknesses with his active hands and ability to be a pest. We have the depth and Arizona does not live or die by whether or not he is on the floor, so I think he should have free reign to really dig in guys' asses (pause). His shooting is playing out exactly like last year, very slow starter and that extends for a while, but he eventually finds it and becomes one of our best 3 point shooters. He has been impressive the last few games.
I'm ok if he takes a few fouls. We have enough depth now that he doesn't need to be scared, and he can't really contribute defensively if he is passive. Go for it a bit and grab if you miss. I agree completely that his size gets mitigated only by attacking.

We have the horses now, so laying back only takes him out of what he can contribute most with.

So, basically, I realize I just wrote 3 paragraphs to say your post is dead on.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

rgdeuce wrote:Defensively, he is at his best when he mitigates his weaknesses with his active hands and ability to be a pest. We have the depth and Arizona does not live or die by whether or not he is on the floor, so I think he should have free reign to really dig in guys' asses (pause). His shooting is playing out exactly like last year, very slow starter and that extends for a while, but he eventually finds it and becomes one of our best 3 point shooters. He has been impressive the last few games.
Sometimes, the best way to mitigate risk is to step in front (literally, in this case) of the transaction, making sure the most prominent risk factors don't survive to the actual transaction.

While I would not recommend overplaying, jumping passing lanes, and aggressive on-ball defense beyond shooting range by most guards, especially when playing a packline, I think you have to give PJC the green light to do just that, to limit the number of times opposition has the ball against him in shooting range. I used to kill Wojo at Duke back in the day because for every one of his overplay steals/diving and sliding on the floor pokeaways that just went out of bounds, there were numerous other 5 on 4 situations he created by jumping a passing lane and missing. It is sexy basketball, but it isn't sound defense unless you have a ridiculous defense behind you (see: TJ McConnell being given rare passing lane green light by Miller because he was really effective doing so and he had the defense to handle 5 on 4 behind him if he missed).

But with PJC, I really think he can mitigate some of his defensive deficiencies by denying ball, making the opposition catch the ball outside an attack position or leaning, threatening to jump passing lanes, and then just bugging the shit out of the ball handler early in his possession. If the ball handler can back door the overplay, or make PJC pay off the dribble for playing too tight, that is what we give up, but in many cases, he can cause enough problems to mitigate those issues. And if he does end up in foul trouble, we have our other, more traditional option.

Mitigate the risk (PJC defending a taller, facing ball handler at 22' and in) by reducing the frequency. Make it difficult to get into that position. Use PJC's size to advantage in heavy ball pressure. Play pressure all the time. If we played zone, a box and 1 would be the way to go...in man, we can lay back in the pack and kind of do the same with PJC buzzing the ball when his man has it. When the ball is then passed, play normal packline but allow PJC to take that extra step into the passing lane off ball. It has danger, but a 6'2" guard catching the ball ready to shoot inside 20', or getting PJC on his hip on a drive, is more dangerous.
Last edited by EVCat on Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

so I just wrote 4 paragraphs to say his post was dead on?

I'd like to think I added some particulars...some color...to his outline. Right?
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Longhorned wrote:oof
Yeah, LH-----oof!

PJC's block was so sweet. He gives up what, 12-13" to Bennie--------goes up and waits through the big guy's pump-fake, then swats down for an extraordinary play.

Parker is really back. His shot is confident and he takes only what's clearly there. His swing passing is snappy, and he's seeing cutters and post area opportunities. His D is clearly stronger, and he suddenly seems a quarter to half a step faster than when he came back post-injury. His switches are especially improved.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

I loved how he responded after that horrific brick of a three from the corner. Didn't lose his trigger at all. Speaks directly to the confidence he's playing with.
SDCat

Post by SDCat »

PJC is the PG this teams needs to make a deep run. Love his confidence and the floor general he has become. Hitting 15 of his last 23 3's is incredible and definitely speaks to what Miller has been saying all along about how PJC is a much better shooter than we were seeing.
"This game was invented to have fun. If you can't enjoy playing basketball, you've missed a lot." - Lute Olson
97cats

Post by 97cats »

threenumberones wrote:I loved how he responded after that horrific brick of a three from the corner.
:lol: you mean off the side of the backboard? :lol:

and yes, he responded well.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

97cats wrote:
threenumberones wrote:I loved how he responded after that horrific brick of a three from the corner.
:lol: you mean off the side of the backboard? :lol:

and yes, he responded well.
The block on Bennie, my man....that was worth a start for the rest of the year on it's own.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EVCat wrote:so I just wrote 4 paragraphs to say his post was dead on?

I'd like to think I added some particulars...some color...to his outline. Right?
Sheesh, I only took 3 paragraphs to repeat his post.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Parker with 7 boards (LM had 3) and 7 assists against Buffs. Has hit 19 of last 28 threes. Zero turnovers.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Parker's play has been remarkably consistent since getting over his injury. He has been giving us exactly what we need from him game in and game out.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Alieberman wrote:Parker's play has been remarkably consistent since getting over his injury. He has been giving us exactly what we need from him game in and game out.
Yes.

And this is where Kobi gets aced out...we have to go with a 3 guard lineup sometimes, with PJC and Kadeem sharing the 1 and Trier at the other wing. Against a team like UCLA, I feel best with PJC/Kadeem/Zo/Lauri/Chance or even Keanu, who has flat out earned time, though the team won't even look to him on offense (pretty funny last night...Keanu rolled off the pick to the left block almost unabated and Zo had the ball angle left, and Keanu was WIDE OPEN, and Zo passed on getting him the ball and brought it to the top of the key). We lose post offense with Keanu, but we gain O boards on loose rebounds. He has really impressed me lately.

PJC's shooting has become vital to making teams pay for zoning.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I know everyone's gonna laugh but pinder has been the X factor for us. He's going to be a solid player and fan favorite for upcoming season.

I blame trier trying to get his more than anything, but that's ok, he's earned it and producing.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

What I don't understand is why, exactly, Miller's defense works when Allen guards the point and PJC guards a man off the ball. I keep thinking we're going to get burned on the wing. But we haven't been burned even on a single defensive possession with that arrangement.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

I think every time they throw a zone at us PJC needs to come into the game...I get why he doesn't start, as a general rule his size is a definite defensive liability to start games, we basically need Kadeem to take out/frustrate their PG...BUT (and everyone has a big but) without PJC as teams throw some kind of zone at us the ball movement basically stops

"...pass>>>>dribble|dribble|dribble>>>>pick up dribble>>>>stare around until someone gets open>>>>pass>>>>stand there>>>>pass it back>>>>stare into the headlights daydreaming about chicks in shorts on University>>>back to game>>>>wait until there's three seconds left>>>>toss up brick>>>>"

I honestly think PJC has a girlfriend or something because he just keeps moving the ball...now full disclosure, his primary daydream moment is when he is strolling the ball up from half court...a lot of the time he has to dash the last few feet to half court because he is taking his sweet pajama time getting across the court...I saw Miller barking at him last night to speed it up...

Which is something PJC CAN do he can speed up the offense against the zone...and if it gets spinning enough he generally is the guy left open and he CAN hit threes...
gumby

Post by gumby »

CalStateTempe wrote:I know everyone's gonna laugh but pinder has been the X factor for us. He's going to be a solid player and fan favorite for upcoming season.

I blame trier trying to get his more than anything, but that's ok, he's earned it and producing.
Not laughing. Agree.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:I know everyone's gonna laugh but pinder has been the X factor for us. He's going to be a solid player and fan favorite for upcoming season.

Not laughing. Agree.
I asked in the game thread if it's just my imagination, or is Pinder just really good? I feel like we're supposed to say he's a limited player with frustrating mental breakdowns, but shows effort as a junkyard dog. But in addition to all that, I keep seeing flashes where he makes his own offense and shows body control and a smooth touch in finishing on contested shots in motion within 5 feet.

And it's not just that he shows no fear. Clearly, he has no fear. That's not his game face. He's actually that guy. Wakes up, can't find his tooth brush, pulls the sink out of the wall, and eats an entire cold meatloaf. He's exactly what you want against high seed, white collar teams in the tourney.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

No laughing...I want Pinder playing no less than 12 minutes tonight and I want him crawling up under Welsh, who is the forgotten UCLA player who absolutely kills. He is not a traditional back to the basket...send Chance and Keanu after him all night.

And PJC is our best shot against the zone right now. But our better overall shot against the zone is getting into early offense as fast as possible. Rebound and run, try to get some early action, and then, if UCLA plays actual defense and goes zone, get into our zone offense. And in that case, PJC running some 2 is not a bad idea. You get two dribble attacks from the wings (Trier/PJC), a point in Kadeem who can follow and is at the best position to defend a leak out, and you really let PJC run the early offense off the rebound as the point, then only if stopped and the zone is employed, have him play the 2 spot.

I really want to see a primary lineup of PJC/Kadeem or Rawle/Allonzo/Lauri/Chance with a lot of Pinder. And I would also like to see us get Lauri off Leaf for stretches and dig Rawle into TJ. And have Pinder get physical with Welsh.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Nailed it LH.

I think we saw early flashes of this out of pinder then he hit a slump due to confidence and maybe a realignment of personal expectations, but this junk yard dog know he's gonna get 7-14 min per game and makes the most of it when he does. He truly looks like he's having fun out there now.

And he's shown some good footwork, a nice touch, and is beginning to limit mental mistakes (increase court presence). He a good stopper for the second team and throws a look that just takes the opposite team off balance. He's a disrupter and he's only gonna get better from here.

I love the thought of him and Comanche as set pieces going forward.

Back to pjc, yes... he needs to be out there within seconds of each time ucla goes zone. Get all popivich, hack a Shaq on it, every stoppage in play get your zone offense in and break that shit up. We get destroyed when we futz around for 3-5 minutes before any adjustments are made, as we all see it slipping away, and then I have to go buy a new tv and apologize profusely to my wife and daughter for modeling bad behavior.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Pinder has fouls to give and he should use them smartly. I love the get after Walsh plan.

God I hope LM get get into a rhythm and hit some threes.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Pinder is best in a game like this with athletic bigs and lots of perimeter shots. He is much better at getting loose rebounds than Dusan and Chance. You lose a piece on offense and you don't want it to be your primary look, but 12 to 15 of Pinder on the floor harassing Leaf or Welsh and getting on the floor...being our motherfucker...would be nice. This team lacks a real motherfucker...a Gene Edgerson or Rick Anderson. It's a role that Pinder could take if he wants it. It's a path to the floor, and in a 3 game in 3 day tournament, we need to find lift and extra minutes where we can.