2016-2017 Arizona Basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: 2016-2017 Arizona Basketball

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

This is what chaps my ass the most. UCLA doesn't want to play zone because they want to run and gun. They know a zone slows the pace and avoided it to try to get out and let their offense go.

They went zone because they knew we would beat them at their game. Stay man and play their usual uptempo game and we had them. We forced them to abandon their game plan and play something that should have been more our style of game.

Then, they beat us at that by dominating the glass and maximizing their possessions. We made them cry Uncle, then got beat by the game they don't want to play.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

rgdeuce wrote:
NYCat wrote:Maybe it's time to kill the motion offense, Tony Bennett isn't doing the best job with it either.
The motion offense can be very effective against a zone. The issue is, we see a zone, and our motion offense isn't much of a motion offense
When has it been good in practice -not theoretical- vs a zone. I remember struggling vs Sendek's matchup zone. Those were the Solo, Parrom, Momo days, also have problems during NJ, Zeus, Bashley days and these Trier teams currently.

Miller has to adjust to it eventually, with the motion or something different.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:That is a very troubling stat.

We can make valid explanations for each of those losses, but the reality is the cats didn't do enough of the little things right especially in the butler and UCLA part 2, to get us over the top.
Are the little things we needed to do against Butler in the referees locker room?

I think the record vs top teams shows where we are. We are close to taking out top ten teams. Oregon and the shorthanded Gonzaga game are the only ones we should not have won.

So, is it good that we aren't winning them? No. Are we that far off doing something special? No.

It's a crossroads. We show the same weaknesses in the tourney, we beat the teams that are worse and lose in the Sweet 16 or Elite 8. We address those weaknesses to some degree and...

Which will it be?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Love you analysis spiff and we arnt thinking too far apart on this, it's just "when" will it be?

I'm starting to get S16, EE fatigue.
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

RaisingArizona wrote:There is a thin line between an excuse and a reason. If you wouldn't mind explaining what in my post you disagree with Inwould definitely look forward to reading your response, Hank.
Your post was well put; I should have mentioned that.

That said, I see no reason to hedge, which is what your post did--Arizona's problems, to me, seem not symptomatic but more an embedded disease. For me, I'm tired of the other refrain. Nor am I sure we are Seahawk tough. I do not think we have an offense we can turn to. I see a nagging problem between the players and the coach.

The coach's personal dealings with younger, better players--Kobi, Chance, and perhaps Rawle--compared to the PT given to Ristic and Kadeem, in the process benching PJC (still another player) vulnerable to getting pushed into a funk, may not be the best long-term strategy, that is, if the strategy is to win a NC.

I'd like to see Miller consider benching a player for not playing offense! I'd like Kadeem sent to the bench when he picks up his dribble at the circle.

As for the 2-3 or 3-2 zone. I mean really. This zone problem is YEARS in the making, not months.

This is certainly on Miller. I don't know what the deal is. But whatever, the empirical evidence in: Miller doesn't have an answer.

By now, I am expecting something more.
Last edited by Hank of sb on Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I think message board people are crazy
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

Longhorned wrote:I think message board people are crazy
Longhorned also wrote:

Here's what I don't get about Miller: This frustration with and yelling at Ristic. It's like getting frustrated and yelling at your cat for going into the neighbor's yard. It's a cat. Dusan can't or won't defend and rebound. Keep the cat inside the house. Keep Dusan on the bench. Let him come in and score over a few possessions, and then bench him with a pat on the back while U of A fans say, "Why is he sitting Ristic? They have no answer for him!" Actually, they do, on this very possession, and we need to grab a defensive rebound on the possession after that.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

You wrote the above did you not?

That's about as well put as anything I've ever seen.

I think Miller's detractors (and possibly some of his players?) might be thinking the same thing.

I think people would be crazy not thinking (not agreeing with) what you wrote above.
baconus66

Post by baconus66 »

That was painful.

A few positives I saw:

Parker is playing his best basketball of his career.

Trier is continuing to improve.

We played decent defensively (considering UCLA is one of the top offenses in the country), with horrific defensive rebounding in the second half.

I don't think this game really changed my view of this team or their potential. We are a good defensive team with great offensive potential that still hasn't been realized. We are a streaky 3-pt shooting team that relies on the 3pt shot like a great 3pt shooting team would. We could get bounced in the second round or we could make a final four.

We needed one more guy to have a good night and we would have won. 2 players had great nights (trier and pjc [pinder too actually]) and 6 played poorly. If any of Lauri, Dusan, Rawle, Kadeem, or Kobi would have had an average to over average night I think we would have won.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

Thanks for the reply, Hank. I can't disagree with anything that you've written. The UCLA matchup is a bit of a paradox b/c the best chance of beating each other is by playing the other team's style.

I also agree that Miller teams perpetually struggle attacking the zone. I think we even could take it a step further and suggest perhaps Miller's teams regularly underfperform on the offensive side in general.

Miller is however an elite defensive coach and that meh offensive coach, elite defensive coach is a pretty solid combination. If Dick Bennett can take a middling Wisconsin team to the final four than I see no reason why Miller can't using the same approach. We'll get there soon enough and I still think there is a pretty good chance that we do so this year.
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

I don't mind the loss. Every team in the country has lost a game. What I do mind is the offensive rebounding...oh wait it was a mediocre rebounding team that got them all - against the best in the Conference. I also mind the lazy 'pass around the horn - bad shot' offense, and hesitancy.

Trier is the best player, but I think the team was better served when being benched wasn't a threat. Depth means shiit when everyone is scared to shoot.
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

BigSkyCatinMT wrote:I don't mind the loss. Every team in the country has lost a game. What I do mind is the offensive rebounding...oh wait it was a mediocre rebounding team that got them all - against the best in the Conference. I also mind the lazy 'pass around the horn - bad shot' offense, and hesitancy.

Trier is the best player, but I think the team was better served when being benched wasn't a threat. Depth means shiit when everyone is scared to shoot.

That's the point! The coach has gotten too much in the way. Worse, he is the 'last-to admit-it' type.

Watch that final UCLA play again. Kobi immediately ran inside the 3-point line with his back to the ball no less.

With every option needed, he purposely took himself out of the play. Immediately.

Kobi might as well have run to the locker room.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Our starting line up should be
LM
AT
RA
KA
PJC

With CC, KS, Pinder off the bench.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Hank of sb wrote:
BigSkyCatinMT wrote:I don't mind the loss. Every team in the country has lost a game. What I do mind is the offensive rebounding...oh wait it was a mediocre rebounding team that got them all - against the best in the Conference. I also mind the lazy 'pass around the horn - bad shot' offense, and hesitancy.

That's the point! The coach has gotten too much in the way. Worse, he is the 'last-to admit-it' type.

Watch that final UCLA play again. Kobi immediately ran inside the 3-point line with his back to the ball no less.

With every option needed, he purposely took himself out of the play. Immediately.

You saw the shots Kobi took earlier right? There isn't a shot that Kobi doesn't like, except for maybe a game-tying 3 with time expiring when he is 0-4 or 0-5 from the field that day.

Miller has only yanked maybe a couple of guys this second half for taking bad shots, unless my brain is drawing a huge blank. He is yanking guys for not hustling, not rebounding and not playing defense.
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

rgdeuce wrote:
Hank of sb wrote:

You saw the shots Kobi took earlier right? There isn't a shot that Kobi doesn't like, except for maybe a game-tying 3 with time expiring when he is 0-4 or 0-5 from the field that day.

Miller has only yanked maybe a couple of guys this second half for taking bad shots, unless my brain is drawing a huge blank. He is yanking guys for not hustling, not rebounding and not playing defense.
I don't disagree with what you said. At that moment, however, we needed all hands on deck. Kobi wasn't even a decoy. I would also suggest Kobi might have been a better option (still) to actually take the shot rather than Kadeem, had Kobi been open.

I don't know what was going on there at the end, but the team rushed. PJC was apparently told to pass to Lauri (I didn't see SM pointing to that) but, if so, such instruction with 20 seconds to go set in motion a panic all around as Lauri was stymied. Any chance of a natural fluidity or pure PG ingenuity was ruined.

Those who insist that Miller is not controlling, I beg to differ. IMO, he's too involved.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Hank of sb wrote: I don't disagree with what you said. At that moment, however, we needed all hands on deck. Kobi wasn't even a decoy. I would also suggest Kobi might have been a better option (still) to actually take the shot rather than Kadeem, had Kobi been open.

I don't know what was going on there at the end, but the team rushed. PJC was apparently told to pass to Lauri (I didn't see SM pointing to that) but, if so, such instruction with 20 seconds to go set in motion a panic all around as Lauri was stymied. Any chance of a natural fluidity or pure PG ingenuity was ruined.

Those who insist that Miller is not controlling, I beg to differ. IMO, he's too involved.
Ideally, Trier takes that shot there. But if you would have told me when UCLA was at the line shooting the 1-and-1 that UCLA was going to brick it and Kadeem was going to have a wide open look from the wing for a chance to tie it, I would take it in a second. Again, if I had a video game controller and was controlling that game, it goes back to Trier, but it is what it is. That was as good of a look as you are going to get, Kadeem just wasn't up for the task in this instance. Remember, the senior has won one at the buzzer for us himself already.

I got caught up in that whole moment, but I did not see Alkins on the floor in those final moments, so someone correct me if I am wrong. That IS my only beef with that situation.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Hank of sb wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:
Hank of sb wrote:

I don't disagree with what you said. At that moment, however, we needed all hands on deck. Kobi wasn't even a decoy. I would also suggest Kobi might have been a better option (still) to actually take the shot rather than Kadeem, had Kobi been open.

I agree with this, have said it before to my message board misery. In game, he "coaches" every move from the sideline. Watch him. He wants to control everything. This has to have an effect on the kids' self confidence, trust in their own abilities. Why not let them play, save most coaching for practice? I have seen the negative effects of this need to control with people in general. Basketball is no different.
loomer

Post by loomer »

NYCat wrote:Maybe it's time to kill the motion offense, Tony Bennett isn't doing the best job with it either.
No doubt that it's becoming pretty antiquated in this era. I'm really getting tired of seeing dribble handoffs near half-court too and near shot clock violations.
Spaceman Spiff wrote:One of our zone issues is that our two most likely middle cutters (Lauri and Rawle) are freshmen. I don't like Bilas, but he had a lot of truth last night when he was talking about zone. Said it is the defense most likely to mess up a freshman.

That's a big part. Our upperclassmen were better against the zone, but Kobi, Rawle and Lauri really looked off against it. Moving and executing as a team is a premium against a zone, and we have issues with that.
Spot on. Alford learned his lesson from the first game. Stuck with the zone longer in this one even if it slowed down the UCLA attack and it was effective. I also don't it's in this team's best interest to be 303rd in tempo with this personnel. We haven't been effective in running a fast break or secondary break all year. Our bigs get defensive rebounds and look around too long before getting the ball to the guards and/or our guards aren't demanding the ball swiftly enough from our bigs.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:
Hank of sb wrote: I don't disagree with what you said. At that moment, however, we needed all hands on deck. Kobi wasn't even a decoy. I would also suggest Kobi might have been a better option (still) to actually take the shot rather than Kadeem, had Kobi been open.

Ideally, Trier takes that shot there. But if you would have told me when UCLA was at the line shooting the 1-and-1 that UCLA was going to brick it and Kadeem was going to have a wide open look from the wing for a chance to tie it, I would take it in a second. Again, if I had a video game controller and was controlling that game, it goes back to Trier, but it is what it is. That was as good of a look as you are going to get, Kadeem just wasn't up for the task in this instance. Remember, the senior has won one at the buzzer for us himself already.

I got caught up in that whole moment, but I did not see Alkins on the floor in those final moments, so someone correct me if I am wrong. That IS my only beef with that situation.
I can't really fault PJC or Kadeem. Kadeem had an open look.

I would rather have Trier taking that shot, yes, but how mad can you be about your PG finding a decent 3 point shooter for a wide open 3? It just didn't go in. I'd bet you a million dollars that Kadeem got an adrenaline rush when he realized he was open. The shot was on line, it was just way long.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

MrMeow wrote:
Hank of sb wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:
Hank of sb wrote:

I agree with this, have said it before to my message board misery. In game, he "coaches" every move from the sideline. Watch him. He wants to control everything. This has to have an effect on the kids' self confidence, trust in their own abilities. Why not let them play, save most coaching for practice? I have seen the negative effects of this need to control with people in general. Basketball is no different.
For every John Wooden and Phil Jackson, there is a Bobby Knight, Coach K, Calipari, Pitino, Izzo, or Sean Miller. Quite a bit of success in that second group, winning, titles (sans Miller), and continued recruiting success. Several of those guys are meaner/scarier than Miller too. I'll put it this way, I'd rather have a coach reminding me of something or giving me a cue to adjust something from the sidelines than to screw up royally and give up a basket AND get the wrath of a tongue lashing or death stare before taking a seat on the bench for a while.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: I'd bet you a million dollars that Kadeem got an adrenaline rush when he realized he was open. The shot was on line, it was just way long.
:lol: Once upon a time, I missed a wide open four footer with time expiring because of that. Wasn't expecting the pass and wasn't expecting to be so open, all I was thinking about was a potential tip in because my man left to help defend/contest the ball. I put that ball up about 90 mph off the backboard on what should have been an easy bank shot.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

For every John Wooden and Phil Jackson, there is a Bobby Knight, Coach K, Calipari, Pitino, Izzo, or Sean Miller. Quite a bit of success in that second group, winning, titles (sans Miller), and continued recruiting success. Several of those guys are meaner/scarier than Miller too. I'll put it this way, I'd rather have a coach reminding me of something or giving me a cue to adjust something from the sidelines than to screw up royally and give up a basket AND get the wrath of a tongue lashing or death stare before taking a seat on the bench for a while.[/quote]

Personally, I hate micromanagement (which is partially why I haven't had a boss in years, and why I don't do it with others). Show or tell me what to do, then STFU and let me do it. Considering your preferences, looks like you would have hated Lute, whose name you left out.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Statistical Ranking/Resume Update:

Arizona:

Kenpom: #22 (AdjO: #29 - AdjD: #31) | Sargarin: #19 | RPI: #9 | BPI: #23 | Team Predictive Ranking Index: #22 | Strength of Record (SOR): #13

VS Top 25: 1-4 | VS Top 50: 3-0 | BPI Quality W/L: 4-4

Comparison to UCLA/Oregon:

Oregon

Kenpom: #17 (AdjO: 24 - AdjD: #20) | Sargarin: #14 | RPI: #5 | BPI: #13 | Predictive Ranking: #13 | SOR: #15

VS Top 25: 2-2 | VS Top 50: 2-0 | Quality W/L: 4-2

UCLA:

Kenpom: #13 (AdjO: #1 - AdjD: #94) | Sargarin: #13 | RPI: #15 | BPI: #12 | Predictive Ranking: #11 | SOR: #8

VS Top 25: 3-2 | VS Top 50: 2-0 | Quality W/L: 5-2

----

AP/coaches polls don't really determine seedings.

RPI is fucking stupid, and despite the fact that the committee said they won't use it, they clearly did in the first early committee bracket. If we want to find out how we'll likely be seeded, we'll have to look at the dumb RPI. At least the RPI is more favorable to us compared to Kenpom, BPI..
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I'm missing something because I don't think ucla is THAT good.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

The timeout/last shot argument that I have seen here and elsewhere is so video game...just push that button and pass it to Trier who has a 92 rating on 3s.

If we call time out, UCLA takes Trier away. 100%. Think Salim vs Illinois but more. Trier might as well be in a grave under the stadium. To do that, they are going to give something up. They aren't giving Lauri up, despite his troubles. If we go 4 out 1 in with Lauri the "in", then we have a plethora of guards on the floor. Trier ain't touching the ball, Lauri can touch whenever he wants at 7 foot but he is going to be contested. So that leaves everyone else...

...does anyone think we would have generated a play with a player who shoots 41% from 3 any more open than Kadeem was?

We really have to get off this "final play" discussion. The final play, down 3 with 7 seconds left, getting a 41% shooter wide open, is a wet dream of a final play. We got an option so much better than a team rebounding a missed one and one down 3 with seconds left should EVER get. We would not have been able to draw up and execute a play that would have gotten a better look/shooter than we got.

He just missed it. The game was lost minutes earlier with 11 O boards in the 2nd half, then nearly resurrected by Trier's Superman impression. But his Superman impression came in the run of play. No fkn way he was going to be open if we had a time out, and if Kadeem had passed up that shot and forced the ball to Trier for a contested three, unless a miracle happened, we'd be killing Kadeem for not taking that shot and Miller for being a big meanie that scares his little children so much that even seniors are afraid to take that WIDE OPEN FUCKING THREE...

We got everything we could have hoped for on that final possession except the made 3.

Now, if we get the ball into Trier's hands after the rebound? Now you are talking a totally different situation, and what would have been preferable. But if we had a time out, it would have only hurt us, IMO.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

CalStateTempe wrote:I'm missing something because I don't think ucla is THAT good.
So who is actually good CST? Serious question.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:I'm missing something because I don't think ucla is THAT good.
Could it be that Arizona is actually that close to being THAT good? To play like trash vs a 3 to 2 zone and not to coach well and to give up so many offensive boards and still have an open shot to tie vs the best offensive team in the country must mean something. I was extremely encouraged and discouraged by Saturday. Only logic I can come up with is Arizona can be really good if everything flows properly which hasn't happened much this year.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I don't think someone with 97 adj d is a world beater. UCLA is good, just not to the degree that the media is fawing over them. Media wants UCLA to be great, I get it, I just down fully buy the analysis at the moment.

I think Villanova, Oregon, and Kansas are the teams to beat. UNC is there talent wise, but their mental make up leaves a lot to be desired. See last night, which with loss probably gave the the overall number one seed in lunardi's mind:
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

CalStateTempe wrote:I don't think someone with 97 adj d is a world beater. UCLA is good, just not to the degree that the media is fawing over them. Media wants UCLA to be great, I get it, I just down fully buy the analysis at the moment.

I think Villanova, Oregon, and Kansas are the teams to beat. UNC is there talent wise, but their mental make up leaves a lot to be desired. See last night, which with loss probably gave the the overall number one seed in lunardi's mind:
I agree with this except the overall #1...not sure they have the balls to be that...

As far as our conference totally agree, we were within 4 points of actually beating Ucla, it was never that close with Oregon...

When the ducks (whom I hate) are firing on all cylinders they are pretty unstoppable by ANY team...

Oregon will be in the FF I am quite sure of it, the rest are iffy...

Frankly I would not be suprized to see the ducks cut down the nets, I would just be disappointed.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:I don't think someone with 97 adj d is a world beater. UCLA is good, just not to the degree that the media is fawing over them. Media wants UCLA to be great, I get it, I just down fully buy the analysis at the moment.

What UCLA's AdjD means is that they had better not have an off game offensively in the tourney. Or face a team that can do what we did in Westwood.

You really don't like UNC, huh?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Me too cat fan.

I think Oregon is best option to cut nets at the moment and if that happens it will seriously depress me.

I know this team, watched a lot of their current seniors in person. I think they are mentally weak. They could get hit and run the table, but one little thing can thrown them off their game. Objectively you can say the same about the CATS and many teams.

I also don't see how you can give a team with what is it now, 6 losses, the number one and in a geographically favorites region to boot. But I forget, ACC.

And no I'm not a fan of UNC despite having a public health degree from there. The degree was fine but many of the students and faculty I interacted with...meh.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Still tons of seats available for Saturday. Asu did really increase prices though so not too unexpected.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Hasn't been much discussion about it but we have a potentially difficult game in ScumLand tomorrow. asu is rested, playing well, and has nothing to lose. The Cats better show up with their heads screwed on right and ready to play.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

PAC 12 co-champs. Great season and Millers best job by far. Likely to also get 30 wins so this has really been a magical year
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

2016-2017:

27-4 (16-2) -- PAC 12 co-Champions
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Main Event wrote:
Congrats to Coach and the boys! They deserve all the credit in the world for overcoming so much and still putting together an incredible regular season.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Unbelieveable accomplishment considering the adversity and talent in Eugene and Westwood.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Main Event wrote:
That's a keeper. So, maybe, just maybe, the regular season does mean something.
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Loved that second-half lineup. Lauri at the 5 is our best rim protector and defensive rebounder. And keeps him out of trouble on the perimeter trying to check wings. Dude, can coach a little.

Rawle a beast on the boards! Pinder with some valuable minutes. Trier hitting shots down the stretch.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:
Main Event wrote:
Only to coaches, players, and fans. But not to Ted, who runs the office bracket pool and watches every Cavs game with a heap of Stouffer's lasagne.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

gumby wrote:Loved that second-half lineup. Lauri at the 5 is our best rim protector and defensive rebounder. And keeps him out of trouble on the perimeter trying to check wings. Dude, can coach a little.

Rawle a beast on the boards! Pinder with some valuable minutes. Trier hitting shots down the stretch.
If we get to the Pac-12 championship game that has to be our primary lineup vs. Oregon. We can't put Lauri and Brooks again.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Longhorned wrote:
gumby wrote:
Main Event wrote:
Only to coaches, players, and fans. But not to Ted, who runs the office bracket pool and watches every Cavs game with a heap of Stouffer's lasagne.

lol, I have a "Ted" in the office. "Hey CST, did you hear, Durant is heading back to OKC this Sat, its gonna be epic!"

NBA cults of personality are Ted's soap opera. But they like UNC, Duke, UK, and Kentucky, because there "good teams".

I'm fine with taking Ted's money in the office pool.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Now that the regular season's over, it's time to get fired up for the postseason. This may have been posted before, but since I can't imagine an Arizona basketball fan not liking it:

https://youtu.be/S2QoZT3mF_0" target="_blank
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Final regular season Kenpom:

Arizona was #20 but then dropped once Cincinnati won today. As it stands.

Kenpom #21 (21.69) | AdjO: #29 (116.4) | AdjD: 27 (94. 7)

The AdjO has dropped from the low 20s to the high 20s to low 30s from beginning of Feb.

The AdjD has dropped from the low to mid 20s to low 30s from the beginning of Feb and now high 20s (moved from 31 to 27 after ASU)

THE Arizona has dropped from the overall Kenpom ranks from the mid to high teens to low 20s.

UA is one of the worst in the nation in tempo at #302 (65.3). A couple of good teams are in the 300s, SMU, Villanova, Virginia.

-----

A little concerning that the numbers have had a slight but steady climb. Although they have 3 possible games to move up the rankings. UCLA & Oregon might not the best help to the AdjD however.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

I'd like to see PJC get 5-7 3PA per game. I think we all underrate just how elite of a perimeter shooter he actually might be. Perhaps he can pick up the Lauri slack with additional volume.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Would've never guessed that Villanova is one of the slower-tempo teams.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Wonder what the break down in tempo is for vs man and vs zone. Every time Arizona looks lost vs the zone.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

CalStateTempe wrote:Me too cat fan.

I think Oregon is best option to cut nets at the moment and if that happens it will seriously depress me.
I'll put it this way about Oregon. They've been in a ton of close games...on last second shots. Some against mediocre teams. They faltered at uCla, but besides that they've been on the better end. They barely beat Furd, Cal, ASSU, uCla, Boise St., Tennessee etc.

Things have a way of evening out over the season...they are due to have the pendulum swing the other way in a tight game.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Disagree ODogg .....

They are a matchup nightmare, not just for Dusan but practically any team. Brooks is probably the hardest guy to defend in the nation.

You can poke holes in all teams resumes, wins and losses. They also return their entire group that went to an elite 8 last year. And they have a clear leader to go to in Brooks in a close game situation who's a proven big shot maker.

Could I see a potential Brooks forced shot down 1 in elite 8 when he misses the correct hoops play because he starts to think he's MJ due to banging 3 game winners this year? Sure. Would I take my chances w this team as opposed to any other team to be at least "as likely" to make a run? Absolutely.

I do worry a bit about guys like Boucher , Dorsey, Pritchard going ice cold in a game and it being their demise, but I said that about Nova last year. All they had was Ochefu inside, and all it took was one bad shooting night and they were done. They were a team full of slashers and shooters w one big guy. Oregon is the same except they have a second big guy who can also shoot in Boucher. Guard play usually wins in March