Official Bracketology Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

pokinmik

Re: Official Bracketology Thread

Post by pokinmik »

Odogg is correct, seems like Oregon is getting a huge pass for not having Brooks early, while AZ will get no such pass imo for missing Trier for much longer (along w multiple other players). Losing to Gtown as a 10-point favorite was really bad and they got SMOKED by Baylor. Plus Oregon has indeed been lucky as fuck at the end of games in addition to not having to come to McKale. Having said that, they are a damn good team, not trying to diminish how good they are. But objectively, AZ (and UCLA) should be in 1-seed talk if Oregon is, depending on who wins out.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

More to the topic, i think "big OOC wins" sometimes blinds the accomplishment of not losing any games outside the top 25. Almost every team stumbles...the fact that we have not, not even once, is a factor in a proper evaluation of Arizona if there are two or three teams on thr edge of a higher seed.

I wont be too freaked about our seeding, more concerned with location. The 2 and 3 seeds are pretty similar in path, with the toughest game being the other...if you get stuck a 3 and do what you should in week 1, you are just playing the 2 you felt you were better than. 6 vs 7 seed doesn't hold a lot of distinction to me.

What i do want is the best damn 4 and 5 seed ever in our bracket. I'd really like to be in thr same bracket as a #4 Duke and #5 Virginia...both are capable of elite results and can beat a 1. Or WVU.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

EVCat wrote:More to the topic, i think "big OOC wins" sometimes blinds the accomplishment of not losing any games outside the top 25. Almost every team stumbles...the fact that we have not, not even once, is a factor in a proper evaluation of Arizona if there are two or three teams on thr edge of a higher seed.

I wont be too freaked about our seeding, more concerned with location. The 2 and 3 seeds are pretty similar in path, with the toughest game being the other...if you get stuck a 3 and do what you should in week 1, you are just playing the 2 you felt you were better than. 6 vs 7 seed doesn't hold a lot of distinction to me.

What i do want is the best damn 4 and 5 seed ever in our bracket. I'd really like to be in thr same bracket as a #4 Duke and #5 Virginia...both are capable of elite results and can beat a 1. Or WVU.
There are major predictive models has us as a #4 seed...I know that goes against common current feelings, but when has the committee NOT screwed us?

I think unless we win the tourney we are getting a four seed...

http://bracketmatrix.com/rankings.html
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

EVCat wrote:More to the topic, i think "big OOC wins" sometimes blinds the accomplishment of not losing any games outside the top 25. Almost every team stumbles...the fact that we have not, not even once, is a factor in a proper evaluation of Arizona
Arizona is 1-4, top 25, 5-0 vs top 50. Again it's the argument of who cares if you can beat 95% of the teams if you can't beat the top 5%. Thank God the tournament isn't filled with top tier teams.

"Arizona lost to a top 5% team in the tournament but at least they didn't lose to Stanford or Illinois State."

I think SOS, OOC SOS, is stupid metric, always has been. What's the point of facing tough competition if you're not going to win them. Is Vanderbilt a good team because of sos.

Record vs top 25, 50, 100 (lesser extent) matter far more. Oregon/UCLA have a better resume there than Arizona.
Last edited by NYCat on Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

CatFanOneMil wrote:
EVCat wrote:More to the topic, i think "big OOC wins" sometimes blinds the accomplishment of not losing any games outside the top 25. Almost every team stumbles...the fact that we have not, not even once, is a factor in a proper evaluation of Arizona if there are two or three teams on thr edge of a higher seed.

There are major predictive models has us as a #4 seed...I know that goes against common current feelings, but when has the committee NOT screwed us?

I think unless we win the tourney we are getting a four seed...

http://bracketmatrix.com/rankings.html
yeah. sucks. but probably true. even though we have 27 wins, no bad losses at all and are co champions of a power conference. and were in the top 10 almost all season.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Last year I thought they played up to a 4 seed, especially with one ft away from beating Oregon....got a 6 in the East. I dont trust the selection process for West teams. It took an amazing team and being number 1 in the country for weeks in order to bring the attention in for a 1 seed in the west (3 years ago). If they can beat Oregon and UCLA, I just hope someone in the room says hey look at these guys. But it doesnt seem that the injuries and lack of depth versus zaga and the rest will be accounted for. Just gotta hope the matchups and locations break in a good way this year. However, while I dont think this tournament will help much. I am leaving Thursday morning and will be devastated if one game is lost....like always. Usually leads to some bad bets afterwards.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

1-4 are numbers that, without context, mean little. The tournament is full of 64 teams, and the teams we have lost to since becoming full have been in that upper 8 to 10. But one road game and one game with a 3 at the final contested possession to tie are not a lot to draw on, and winning literally every other game is notable. If it wasnt, Oregon and UCLA would have fewer losses.

It's a one game advance or go home series each round, and one that past the first weekend is generally, but not always, going to be against a good team. This team has abley demonstrated it is not prone to slipping up against weaker opponents...so there is your first weekend if form holds. And nothing about the 3 major games we played with our full roster suggests we are in over our heads beyond that...while the Oregon game was a beatdown, the UCLA games were not, and we were 1-2 in that series with a single possession swinging the 3rd.

So much of a program's success in March lies in not stumbling to Cinderella...the best programs consistently rip through the lesser teams and put themselves in the position to advance to the E8 or FF with good single week play beyond that opening weekend. We have shown we have the team to get us through the early rounds, and i really dont know how we could have watched the same team and think we are anything but a coin flip vs a 2/3 and a legit threat vs a 1...if chalk holds. That's the other thing...many a tournament sees the "best" teams get a break in their path. THAT is where being consistent vs lesser seeded/rated teams, and not a team that plays up/down to competition, is so valuable in March. And we have demonstrated, though one game can certainly go bad, that this year's team is not prone to being upset. That's a big part of the March battle
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Arizona as a 4 seed is a joke, and any 3 seed that is not in the West would be a joke as well. Arizona was the #4 team in the country less than two weeks ago, then they lost to the team who is now #3 in the nation. I know AP/Coaches rankings are not direct indicators of where you would be seeded, but as a 4 seed that essentially means the committee thinks you are the 13th through 16th best team/best resume in the country. I can see how a loss to who most consider an elite team would drop you that far.

I also have beef with Oregon having a higher seed than us right now. Oregon is 4-2 vs RPI top 50. Three of their four wins came at home, their only road win was at USC. They beat UCLA on a last minute choke and a miracle on their end, or they would have lost at home to UCLA too. By the way, they also have terrible losses to 93 Georgetown and 102 Colorado (full strength). Our road wins vs RPI 51-100 were done in a much more impressive fashion (see our Northern and Southern California trips). We are 4-4 vs RPI top 16, with no other losses otherwise. Two of those losses came without Trier and one of those was without PJC too. We were co-champs with Oregon in an unbalanced schedule that didnt even give us a chance to win it outright at home. We had the tougher schedule. There is absolutely no justification for Oregon being any higher than us if you are going by "resume." Of course, the Pac 12 tournament will shift some pieces, but as of right now, no effing way.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

McKale is great but it isn't 30 points be game great.

Oregon has much better wins. It is true.

Honest question because I don't know the answer. What is Arizona's second best win this year? I don't have the time to check right now but aim would bet that everyone that is a projected one or two has their second best won far better than Arizona's
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:McKale is great but it isn't 30 points be game great.

Honest question because I don't know the answer. What is Arizona's second best win this year? I don't have the time to check right now but aim would bet that everyone that is a projected one or two has their second best won far better than Arizona's
Contenders for second best win are USC (road) or Michigan State. Both are tourney teams that we beat road/neutral while shorthanded. On ESPN, MSU is ranked higher than SC, but I'm not sure I agree.

Edit: answer should be Butler, but we got brutalized by the refs and choked a bit.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

PHXCATS wrote:McKale is great but it isn't 30 points be game great.

What are their much better wins? One is us, at home, without our ability to return the favor. They beat UCLA at home, but we beat them on the road. Both of us have beat USC twice. Our 4th win, vs Michigan State, came on a neutral site. While a neutral site win vs RPI 47 MSU doesnt negate and home win against RPI 9 Arizona, home court advantage bumps down the RPI 9 a bit and a neutral court perhaps gives RPI 47 a bit of a bump up. Basically, we can call it a 30-level variance between the two and be very safe. That 30-levels is more than made up for when you look at our losses, all vs RPI top 16 teams, two games without our best player; and Oregon's 4 losses, two of which are really bad.

And you cant give Oregon's historic night against us in Eugene that much weight. That is the same team that almost lost to ASU two days before, and the same team that needed miracles to beat Cal and Stanford in California, where we slaughtered Stanford and won semi-comfortably in Berkley.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Contenders for second best win are USC (road) or Michigan State. Both are tourney teams that we beat road/neutral while shorthanded. On ESPN, MSU is ranked higher than SC, but I'm not sure I agree.

Edit: answer should be Butler, but we got brutalized by the refs and choked a bit.
That Butler game infuriates me and I knew it would come back to bite us at the end of the year. Blatant jobbing, one of the worst I have seen. If we had that win, we are a borderline 1 seed, and probably at worst, the 2 out west right now.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Looking at the projected 1 to 3 seeds by ESPN, U of A has the second best win by winning at UCLA but no all the other 11 teams have better second wins.

A three is very fair right now. Win and get the two in the west. No more excuses like the refs or unbalanced schedules or a team getting too hot.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

According to bracket Matrix, Andy bottoms is the most accurate bracket dude in the world for a couple years.

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/rankings.html" target="_blank

And he just released an updated bracket yesterday

http://assemblycall.com/bracketology-nc ... ar-7-2017/" target="_blank

Has Arizona as a #4 seed in the Midwest. Important to note that the bracket is current and will likely change by the end of conference tournaments.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Contenders for second best win are USC (road) or Michigan State. Both are tourney teams that we beat road/neutral while shorthanded. On ESPN, MSU is ranked higher than SC, but I'm not sure I agree.

That Butler game infuriates me and I knew it would come back to bite us at the end of the year. Blatant jobbing, one of the worst I have seen. If we had that win, we are a borderline 1 seed, and probably at worst, the 2 out west right now.
I keep bringing it up because it really rankles me. I complained about the UCLA refs whistling PJC when Ball pushed off and should have gotten his 4th, but I'm over it. Butler, I'm not really over.

Against Butler, the reffing basically sidelined Lauri with early bs calls. Then, down the stretch, Butler lived on the line. I forget how many possessions it was (I think 8?) but every possession they had under 2 minutes wound up with free throws.

Again, I'm not a default ref blamer, but Butler was the worst I can remember as a pervasive issue. We had our chances, and probably should have won anyways, but when you're a shorthanded team anyways, playing the refs too is really difficult.

I'm not sure if we'd be a borderline 1, but I think we'd be locked in as a 2 with that win. So frustrating.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I'd rather have an easy path in Vegas due to upsets and get a #3 seed than have to UCLA and/or Oregon in the path for the possible #2 seed. Not that I would mind playing UCLA and/or Oregon...it would be fun. But I don't find a substantial difference between the 2 and 3 seed and I'd rather have the PAC title. The first game an NCAA 2 or 3 seed plays that should be difficult is against the other. I do not see significant difference between 14 and 15 seeds, or 6 and 7 seeds...not that should prove concerning to a 2 or 3 seed. Where there is significant difference between single seeds in other places on the bracket, like 14 to 13, or 4 to 3, or 7 to 8 and 9 to 10 (8/9 being on that #1 line in round 2...as a 9, you'd rather fall to 10 IMO), the 2/3 split just does not prove as significant.

And, as mentioned before, if I could choose one or the other, I'd choose to have really good 4 and 5 seeds in our bracket before I'd choose to be a 2 seed over a 3 seed. The 4 and 5 seeds only come into play as a 2/3 IF you make it to the Elite Eight, and no matter how badly seeded the 4 or 5 are, they aren't going to be better overall than a 1 seed. So I'd rather play a tough #4 than the weakest #1.

As for region...that only matters in week 2...a 2/3 seed will be protected opening weekend. With today's travel accommodations and players experience with travel, I'm more focused on the way the bracket breaks than regions. It's 2nd weekend only, and I'd take a good draw in the South over a tougher draw in the West.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EVCat wrote:I'd rather have an easy path in Vegas due to upsets and get a #3 seed than have to UCLA and/or Oregon in the path for the possible #2 seed. Not that I would mind playing UCLA and/or Oregon...it would be fun. But I don't find a substantial difference between the 2 and 3 seed and I'd rather have the PAC title. The first game an NCAA 2 or 3 seed plays that should be difficult is against the other. I do not see significant difference between 14 and 15 seeds, or 6 and 7 seeds...not that should prove concerning to a 2 or 3 seed. Where there is significant difference between single seeds in other places on the bracket, like 14 to 13, or 4 to 3, or 7 to 8 and 9 to 10 (8/9 being on that #1 line in round 2...as a 9, you'd rather fall to 10 IMO), the 2/3 split just does not prove as significant.

And, as mentioned before, if I could choose one or the other, I'd choose to have really good 4 and 5 seeds in our bracket before I'd choose to be a 2 seed over a 3 seed. The 4 and 5 seeds only come into play as a 2/3 IF you make it to the Elite Eight, and no matter how badly seeded the 4 or 5 are, they aren't going to be better overall than a 1 seed. So I'd rather play a tough #4 than the weakest #1.

As for region...that only matters in week 2...a 2/3 seed will be protected opening weekend. With today's travel accommodations and players experience with travel, I'm more focused on the way the bracket breaks than regions. It's 2nd weekend only, and I'd take a good draw in the South over a tougher draw in the West.
I've always felt that the difference between the weaker 2 and stronger 3 is minimal. You realistically wind up with an identical 2/3 matchup, just wearing a different colored jersey.

Top to bottom region strength and upsets matter way more.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I will be so pissed if we get a 4 seed.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Agreed, but I see it as highly probable if we lose tomorrow...maybe even Friday.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Chicat wrote:I will be so pissed if we get a 4 seed.
If you take this:

The committee ranked us as the #9 team (The top 3 seed) Since this came out we have only 1 loss (to a top 10 UCLA). There are only 2 possible teams on this list who could have jumped us (UCLA and Kentucky) This would bring us down to the #11 team (3 seed) at worst. This doesn't even account for the several teams in front of AZ who have lost 2,3 or even 4 times since the committee came up with this list.

There is no possible way we are currently a 4 seed unless the committee was completely full of shit when they put out these ranknings
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Miami beat Syracuse.

Hopefully that relegates Syracuse to the 12/13 seed. Keeps them off that 6/7 or 10/11 line with 2/3
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EVCat wrote:Miami beat Syracuse.

Hopefully that relegates Syracuse to the 12/13 seed. Keeps them off that 6/7 or 10/11 line with 2/3
Yeah, I have no real desire to see an exclusively zone team in the tourney.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Even with this loss, I'm guessing Kansas still gets the Midwest 1 seed.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Didn't effect Kansas seed
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yup I would say so as well.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Cost them the overall #1 seed, but that really doesn't mean anything.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Chicat wrote:Even with this loss, I'm guessing Kansas still gets the Midwest 1 seed.
yeah most likely. tiny chance someone like Kentucky could take it if they win the SEC tournament and look good doing it, since they are 26-5 and have a rpi around the top 5.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
WildcatLouis

Post by WildcatLouis »

According to Lunardi: "Kansas remains a top seed, but No. 3 overall following its loss. Villanova and Carolina now 1/2 overall. Louisville remains a No. 2 seed, but on the verge of being passed by Arizona/UCLA. And TCU stays alive among 'Next Four Out.'"
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Lunardi is really good at guessing the field, but not the seeds. While palm is terrible at both. But I think Joe is likely right (UNC the 3rd #1 seed).

Whoever wins the UCLA/Arizona game gets the #2. Baylor, Kentucky, Oregon get the other ones.
Last edited by NYCat on Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

NYCat wrote:Lunardi is really good at guessing the field, but not the seeds. While palm is terrible at both. But I think Joe is likely right (UNC the 2nd #1 seed).

Whoever wins the UCLA/Arizona game gets the #2. Baylor, Kentucky, Oregon get the other ones.
I don't understand how Baylor could be ahead of any of the top 3 Pac schools right now.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Alieberman wrote:
NYCat wrote:Lunardi is really good at guessing the field, but not the seeds. While palm is terrible at both. But I think Joe is likely right (UNC the 2nd #1 seed).

I don't understand how Baylor could be ahead of any of the top 3 Pac schools right now.
Wins vs Michigan State, Oregon, Louisville, West Virginia, VCU, Xavier, Iowa St, OK St, Fgcu,

#7 RPI, #5 SOS, #2 OOC SOS
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Lmao at UNC being the second #1 seed...
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

We for sure locked up at least a 3 seed tonight. Get to PAC finals and we are a 2
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Butler, Baylor, Louisville, losing has to put us worst case scenario at #3, we deserve a #2. Still think UCLA v. Arizona winner gets a #2.

What I hope happens is all 3 PAC teams get a #2 and UK gets the other. No other teams deserve it.

Somehow Duke will find a way to sneak in.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Duke is, at absolute best, a 3 seed. Period.

Even allowing for them being Duke and all.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Lunardi still has Baylor ahead of us as a 2 after their loss to Kansas State (Their 3rd sub 50 rpi loss of the season... AZ has zero losses to teams with an RPI under 50)

Can someone explain this logic?
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

If Duke wins Acc tourney u can bet ur ass they will be a #2 somewhere. And I'd love to be the #3 w them, especially if it's not in the East.
Last edited by PennZona20 on Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote:Lunardi still has Baylor ahead of us as a 2 after their loss to Kansas State (Their 3rd sub 50 rpi loss of the season... AZ has zero losses to teams with an RPI under 50)

Can someone explain this logic?
Lunardi is actually not great at predicting seeds and regions. But he's got a very large soapbox from which to shout his opinion. Doesn't mean he has any real insight into what the committee is doing or thinking.

What we have to remember is that Lunardi, Palm, et al are not talking to committee members and reporting on what is going on behind closed doors. They're just guessing, much like the rest of us.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

PennZona20 wrote:If Duke wins Acc tourney u can get ur ass they will be a #2 somewhere. And I'd love to be the #3 w them, especially if it's not in the East.
Duke vs Arizona in San Jose and I am breaking the bank for those tickets.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Does Carolina losing open up the possibility of the PAC getting a #1 seed?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Alieberman wrote:Does Carolina losing open up the possibility of the PAC getting a #1 seed?

No, it just means Duke AND North Carolina will get #1 seeds.

ACC basketball gets treated like SEC football.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

UNC totally locked up overall #1 tonight.

What a joke of a team. So Talented. So Soft.

They are a #2, but ACC...
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Is Duke going to play the first weekend outside of NC this year due to the discrimination law?

If so it's the first time in as long as I can remember.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

We win tomorrow we are #1 or 2 in the West.

Book it.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

I'd rather be #2 in the west with Gonzaga as the 1 then number 2 in the south with Kentucky or Duke as a 2.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Alieberman wrote:We win tomorrow we are #1 or 2 in the West.

Book it.
Still doubt we pass Gonzaga because of their win over us, but a win tomorrow gets us the 2 out west.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

I doubt it b/c I don't have a lot of faith in the selection commitee, but if they do dig deep the fact that we had seven scholarship players and three perimeter players available should be relevant.

Comparing the resumes (if we win tomorrow):

Good Wins:

Arizona:
UCLA twice
Oregon
MSU
USC twice
Cal twice (iffy)

Gonzaga:
Florida
Iowa State
Arizona (with a limited roster)
Saint Mary's x 3 (iffy IMO)

Bad losses:

Arizona:
none

Gonzaga:
BYU at the kennel

So if you don't overvalue winning percentage or the head to head matchup four months ago I think it would be pretty clear that Arizona would be more deserving.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Don't want Wisconsin.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... acketology" target="_blank
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
az91

Post by az91 »

Irish27 wrote:Don't want Wisconsin.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... acketology" target="_blank
I agree, but it sure would be nice to give them some well-deserved payback.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I want that damn 2 seed out west in Lunardi's bracket. UC irvine, Creighton/MSU, FSU/Iowa State, and Gonzaga/Purdue/Florida to get to the final four.

Vanderbilt owes Florida a nice dinner. Gave them three wins against an RPI 10 to push them well into the field.