Kobi Simmons

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azcat49

Re: Kobi Simmons

Post by azcat49 »

His defense was outstanding all game long. I think is was RD who mentioned if he comes back he could take Allen's Role and really push himself up the draft board. I agree with all of that. This draft is deep and while we all know most don't play for that first contract but the second one, I would hope he gets some good feedback on what staying may mean to him.

Gumby also makes some great points on other ares of his game. To echo what many have said about Miller, you can look at most of the guys on this team and see clear progression from year to year. In both Simmons and Triers case, it is almost game to game how much better they have become
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
prh

Post by prh »

One thing to remember is that players under Miller don't mistakenly leave early (Mr Pit Stop excluded). While it is still Kobi's decision in the end, that should give us some hope. Even with continued improvement this year, I still think he would be much better off coming back for one more year.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

ChooChooCat wrote:Kobi has a lot of that Zach Lavine appeal in that he has good enough size and length for a pro wing I.E. measurables and he'd perform very well in athletic workouts just like Lavine. He won't be lottery in a loaded draft class like this, but he could absolutely put himself into the 1st round with a great combine.

Rawle definitely needs to return.

Zach Lavine was 6'6" w hops better than Kobi believe it or not. And a wingspan better than Kobi by about 6 inches. Zach's game isn't very polished. He's a 3 and D guy. He has no midrange game right now. Kobi has a nice floater already.

If u want to compare anyone to Lavine, it should be Terrance Ferguson. Their games are pretty similar. Play D, shoot 3s , highlight dunk in transition, polish up ur game as u learn in NBA.

As someone else stated, the only frosh we had leave who wasn't projected to be a mid 1st rounder or better is Grant Jerrett. And we all saw how that worked out.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Lavine is super explosive though and I didnt really see that from T Ferg.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:Lavine is super explosive though and I didnt really see that from T Ferg.
Yes, but Ferguson is a better defender and has a higher bball IQ. Lavine can shoot 3's and go to the rim and dunk. The rest of his game is a work in progress. Ferguson is a decent defender and seems to know his role better.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I see T Ferg as Gerald Green offensively. I don't see Lavine as Gerald Green. Though same results in the end, just looks different getting there I guess is all I am saying.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

UAEebs86 wrote:
That shit is sick. I miss SI
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Superman sandwiched between MASSIVE and MASSIVE
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Has he shown up anyone's milk carton?

He needs to be the offensive threat of the bench.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Missing that layup turned out to be huge.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

My theory: limited minutes = less time to get into a rhythm, less time to let the game come to him and more ill advised shots trying to force the issue and make the most of his limited time on the court.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:My theory: limited minutes = less time to get into a rhythm, less time to let the game come to him and more ill advised shots trying to force the issue and make the most of his limited time on the court.
It's hard not to wonder if the one and done aspirations most seem to see around Kobi influence that push to maximize his minutes.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

If true then that validates SCC's theory that we should avoid high schoolers ranked 10-50 altogether. So investment but not enough payoff in that one year. Low value proposition.
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

rgdeuce wrote:My theory: limited minutes = less time to get into a rhythm, less time to let the game come to him and more ill advised shots trying to force the issue and make the most of his limited time on the court.
Good theory. Couple that with a drill sargeant and you have someone sitting on the bench a la Zach Lavine.

A better player gone to waste and that Zach Lavine team--UCLA-- went to waste, too.

I don't see how the coach "wins" by all this.

The playoffs are here.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

In Miller's defense, outside of the random big game every three to five, he hasnt done much to not be the odd wing out. If he defended better things may be different for him, but he may have checked out of pretty much everything once Trier came back. In Kobi's defense, I can understand being one of the three guys who put the team on their backs and won during the roughest months of the season, and seeing PJC come back and then Trier out of nowhere and all of a sudden you are pushed to the side. Even if he was playing better, he would still be in this position cuz look at what is happening to Rawles minutes.

Thing is, he knew what he was getting into. At one point this logjam would have had Ferguson and Smith thrown into the mix. Im not for kissing players asses to keep them around, but IMO, Kobi and Rawle both have earned bigger roles than they have had these last few games and you cant say they have played their ways out because any gripes you have against them can be said for most anyone else. Pretty easy to see where the minutes should come from too.

Is he auditioning in his brief time? Its possible. Is he in fuck it im gonna do me mode? Also possible. It could also be a guy who had a huge role and at times has been the second best player on the court, who is now essentially option number 8 and wanting to a) show that he shouldnt be option 8, or b) feels although he is option 8 he needs to come in and play like option 2 or 3, or c) feels like he wants to get the most of his 13 to 15 minutes and not play the background.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

He came to a roster that should have been more loaded.

I get it but the young man needs to look long term, respect the process so to speak.

His millions will come if he doesn't put the cart before the horse. He's not a sure thing though so his decision making on andnoff the court could be the difference between millions and grant jerrett type money. Hope he has a good circle around him.
jajoyce

Post by jajoyce »

We need to get SOMETHING out of him. I know he can pull off a "Jordin Mayes" type of performance in the post season, but I just expected a little more. He can shoot the ball and help us out with the zone on offense. I get the defense issues, but he has the length, athleticism, speed and he seems decently strong. Is it just focus?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

He's only out there for like 2-3 mins. And while he's in, Trier or others take the shots. Maybe he can get off one or maybe two shots, hard to get any rhythm or flow - especially if he misses. Simmons has been hurt the most by Trier's return, he took all his shots

He had 20pts @ UCLA and was a huge part in why Arizona won that game.
Last edited by NYCat on Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

What is Miller thinking, he is a first round NBA draft pick :)
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

He needs to be able to contribute on at least one end of the floor and currently he has not been. (He did have a nice pass to Chief today )1 The foul trouble in the first compounded lack of playing time today.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

2 guards have to be able to score and defend the perimeter. KS has shown he has one of those requirements in hand. For Miller, if Kobi can't manage the other he won't get the PT for the one. There are times when I think Kobi and Lauri will both be on the squad next year.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Man, what is the deal with Kobi? How has he disappeared like this? He seems so dialed in during the huddles, etc......IMO we need him for a deep run in the NCAAs....am I wrong?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Keep Fighting Kobi,

We're gonna need you at some point.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

His first three went half way down and just barely spun out. If that had gone, maybe things would have been different.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

He'll get his mojo back in the first round, whoever and wherever the Cats play.

The big question will be after that: Will he be able to keep that newfound mojo and ride it five more games?

If he can? See you at the Loop 101 and Bethany Home Road in April.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:Man, what is the deal with Kobi? How has he disappeared like this? He seems so dialed in during the huddles, etc......IMO we need him for a deep run in the NCAAs....am I wrong?
Playing our best ball of the season without him. Would be nice to have him but hes the 9th most important piece on this team right now.
UAEebs86 wrote:His first three went half way down and just barely spun out. If that had gone, maybe things would have been different.
Still a shot he has no business taking. Was the worst shot decision all night. We rarely take ill advisedshots these days and the ones we do seemingly come from Kobi 3/4 of the time. Pains me to say it, but hes not even worth having out there at this point. Hope he makes me eat my words.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Eh? I thought both those attempts were wide open. Did I miss something?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Second one was wide open for sure. First was one of his jab step, then shoot it regardless of if the jab step actually fools the defender
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

The jab step shot is an in rhythm shot for him though , u can tell he practices it all the time along w that floater he loves so much.

I think the kid needs adderal lol. U can tell he loses focus so easily, hence the reason he is usually such a liability on D, and hence the reason his pt has been curtailed dramatically. I've seen lots of frosh like him, ones hard to keep engaged , especially when things don't go his way.

U can tell when he first came in last night he was reminding himself to play hard fundamental D, then after about 5 possessions he started to float again.

I do think Miller and he have a good relationship and I think despite his pouty nature at times, he realizes Miller has his back and best interests in mind. Kobi is a good kid and I honestly think no player would benefit more from coming back. There's a lot of talent in that body.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Puerco wrote:Eh? I thought both those attempts were wide open. Did I miss something?
The second was a good shot. The first, he held the ball, jab stepped, the dude really didnt bite, and he chucked with plenty of time left in the shot clock. Its a shot anyone else could have gotten at any time in a possession, and it wasnt an easy look especially for a guy who is one for the last five weeks
baconus66

Post by baconus66 »

I hope we can get him 15-20 minutes in the first round game, just to get him loose and ready. There is a good chance we will need him to step up some later game due to foul trouble or something if we make a deep run
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

PennZona20 wrote:The jab step shot is an in rhythm shot for him though , u can tell he practices it all the time along w that floater he loves so much.

I think the kid needs adderal lol. U can tell he loses focus so easily, hence the reason he is usually such a liability on D, and hence the reason his pt has been curtailed dramatically. I've seen lots of frosh like him, ones hard to keep engaged , especially when things don't go his way.

U can tell when he first came in last night he was reminding himself to play hard fundamental D, then after about 5 possessions he started to float again.

I do think Miller and he have a good relationship and I think despite his pouty nature at times, he realizes Miller has his back and best interests in mind. Kobi is a good kid and I honestly think no player would benefit more from coming back. There's a lot of talent in that body.
Hes been way off on the floater too, and hes looked bad on several layups (did have a nice finish the other night though). That may be his style, but it is not conducive to what we are trying to do right now and ball stopping and domination are two huge culprits for our issues with zones. We have Trier now and that is all we need in terms of a guy being that one on one, face up, jab step, fancy move stuff. Rawle still has his moments, but he is successful because he has largely abandoned that style for catch and shoot, catch and attack, or passing and moving when it is not there. Kobi will be much better off when he understands catch and go is much easier than catch and size up.

The offense is clicking right now and we are getting good shots on any defense. Ball movement is good and the creativity and flow has been great. For as much as I have slammed Dusan, he has even elevated himself this week and is actually moving pretty well without the ball and thinking "get to the open spot or the spot where I can be effective. Kobi isnt there. You can blame his limited minutes, but he should at least be in the same stratosphere. We are in ready to go March and he's still stuck in post UcLA slumping Arizona mode AND he cant make any of his shots. Add in his defensive issues and hes a guy who should be very limited in the time he gets on the floor and with what guys. I feel bad saying it, I like the kid, but it is what it is.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

If or when Kobi finds his rhythm again will be great going forward. I hope he finds it on Thursday, the boost in confidence would go a long way. Loss of minutes and not seeing the shots go through the nets might be getting in his head. He needs to stay focused (as mentioned) and find other ways to impact the game. Rebounding, assists, moving without the ball, lock down defense etc.
We all know he's a very talented kid, I can't wait to see it clicking in the games again. Play hard kid! I'm pulling for you. 8-)
Last edited by HiCat on Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Merkin wrote:
Without a doubt. I haven't noticed him sulking and he seems to be very supportive of his teammates recent achievements. Not sure a lot of freshman with his fanfare coming in and early season success would act that way so major props to him.

I just have this feeling he will be needed big time in one of these upcoming games so I'm rooting for him big time.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

EastCoastCat wrote: Without a doubt. I haven't noticed him sulking and he seems to be very supportive of his teammates recent achievements.
I don't think anyone enjoyed the CSM time out more than Kobi.

HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Kobi Simmons has ‘sacrificed more than anybody’ for the team

by Ryan Kelapire Mar 13, 2017, 2:00pm PDT

“Kobi is one of the more talented kids that we’ve had and his future is incredibly bright. Right now, I think he’s focused on winning,” Miller said.

Simmons said after a scoreless game against UCLA that he doesn’t feel like he’s in a slump and will “be ready” if given a heavier workload.

“Team player,” Simmons tweeted. “Just want to win.”

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketball ... ime-injury" target="_blank
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

6 minutes, 0-3, 2 points at the line. Not much of anything else. Would love to see Kobi get something - anything going. If he could just get a shot or two to fall and be that extra athletic weapon off the bench. How'd you guys think he did on D yesterday in his limited minutes?
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

BearDown89 wrote:6 minutes, 0-3, 2 points at the line. Not much of anything else. Would love to see Kobi get something - anything going. If he could just get a shot or two to fall and be that extra athletic weapon off the bench. How'd you guys think he did on D yesterday in his limited minutes?
He was decent out there, but not enough time really. He had a great opening round game
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Kobi had a really bad lapse on one defensive possession but other than that he just kind of "existed" out there on D. Will say this though, knocking down both of those FTs before the half was a pretty big deal to me. Its only two points, but psychologically, blowing a huge lead and being up only one has a different feel than 2 or 3 and it allowed us to finish the half on a full high, like any bucket w time expiring
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Hope Kobi gets to play more in the next game. Be nice to see him on the court making a difference for 20-25 mins..14-15 pts, 5-6 rebs.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

HiCat wrote:Hope Kobi gets to play more in the next game. Be nice to see him on the court making a difference for 20-25 mins..14-15 pts, 5-6 rebs.
I wouldn't hold my breath on those numbers Hi. He doesn't play defense decently enough from possession to possession for Miller to trust him with those kinds of minutes.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
SteveKerrsStroke

Post by SteveKerrsStroke »

HiCat wrote:Hope Kobi gets to play more in the next game. Be nice to see him on the court making a difference for 20-25 mins..14-15 pts, 5-6 rebs.
Serious question - where are those 20-25 minutes coming from?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

SteveKerrsStroke wrote:
Serious question - where are those 20-25 minutes coming from?
Nobody that plays on Arizona that's for sure.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Yep. Just rambling is all. Not enough def or minutes to go around.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Kobi just has to go in and do his job for the brief periods hes in. At this point, his PT has been so limited he is not on the same heartbeat with the core guys. Makes it really tough for him to even be places in situations to even get more than a few decent shots off
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

rgdeuce wrote:Kobi just has to go in and do his job for the brief periods hes in. At this point, his PT has been so limited he is not on the same heartbeat with the core guys. Makes it really tough for him to even be places in situations to even get more than a few decent shots off
I'm guessing Kobi's brain works differently (better) when he gets the minutes he had beforehand. It's too bad it worked out this way for him... and the team.

He'll get drafted.

The draft thing might work out for him.

As for working out for Arizona......less so.
Last edited by Hank of sb on Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

If Kobi gets 20 minutes against Xavier it's because Rawle can't go. That would be much to our detriment.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

I want the old Kobi back. The one who could come in and ignite an otherwise stagnant offense with penetration, baseline floaters, and an occasional open three point shot.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy