Go Gonzaga!!
With Duke and Nova losing....

Winner of Gonzaga / Arizona has a golden ticket to the Finals

We couldn't have a better draw
ASUHATER!

Re: Sweet 16!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Somehow get through next weekend and we're playing for a national title
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Fun Fact:

Provided UCLA wins, all of our losses this season were to Sweet 16 teams

Can any other team say that?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Revenge tour will be completed vs Gonzaga.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Alieberman wrote:Fun Fact:

Provided UCLA wins, all of our losses this season were to Sweet 16 teams

Can any other team say that?

And Kenpom still doesn't give a shit
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Alieberman wrote:Fun Fact:

Provided UCLA wins
Given how they can't miss in tonight's second half...
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

This is shaping up too perfectly. Makes me nervous.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

Question for you guys:

That stat about the last however many national champions being top 20 in both Offensive and Defensive efficiency was at the conclusion of the tournament, right? We're now up to 17&24 so it seems very likely if we were lucky/good enough to get the promised land that our metrics would have passed the Kenpok test.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Next next 90 hours or so will be agony waiting. But I feel if we win Thursday the time between that game and our elite 8 match-up will be pure hell for most of us.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

RaisingArizona wrote:Question for you guys:

That stat about the last however many national champions being top 20 in both Offensive and Defensive efficiency was at the conclusion of the tournament, right? We're now up to 17&24 so it seems very likely if we were lucky/good enough to get the promised land that our metrics would have passed the Kenpok test.
Yes, at the end of the tournament. But a win vs Xavier could (defense) put us in top 20 in both, win over​ Gonzaga will definitely will put us in the top 20 for both.

There's a couple of teams that are there currently or are within striking distance (with 4 possible games to go). In order..

Gonzaga
Florida
North Carolina
Kentucky
West Virginia
Kansas
Baylor
Purdue
Oregon
Arizona

Most of these will knock each other out in the S16, and then the E8. Arizona will only get one. If you want to separate who could possibly emerge from the group, every champion since 2010 has had an Kenpom tempo of 65 to 67 (mostly 66). The game has changed since that 09 UNC team, last 70+ Kenpom tempo team to win. Even before that the two FL teams and KU had at most a AdjT in the high 60s.

The only teams that could be top 20 in both offense and defense and a tempo in that sweet spot (66-67) are Oregon and Arizona. Florida is hovering around though.

----

UCLA, Michigan, Wisconsin, Butler etc all are too far back to reach top 20. Duke was also too far back in defense. They close still reach the F4 however. Xavier is currently the weakest Kenpom team left.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Zags might be in trouble.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... a-bulldogs" target="_blank
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

HiCat, why?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Not knowing anything about WV, watched the vid on the link. Seems like one of them believes WV's defense might be a problem for Zags. Said "50-50" sic game. Again, I haven't watched WV play so this is just
March Madness banter maybe, but who knows.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Everyone in the Sweet 16 might be in trouble. I believe Gonzaga will handle WVU's press and so would Arizona, but let's not pretend my beliefs are born out by any tourney game ever.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:This is shaping up too perfectly. Makes me nervous.
I'm not sure how to shake the fear. I get concerned when we get tough draws. I worry it is going to well when the draw is in our favor.

Such is the lack of confidence borne out of Arizona's 16 year FF drought, I guess.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I'm not sure how to shake the fear. I get concerned when we get tough draws. I worry it is going to well when the draw is in our favor.

Such is the lack of confidence borne out of Arizona's 16 year FF drought, I guess.
Except that this year's Arizona finally looks like all those other teams that ever scare us. Can you imagine how scared we'd be to face Rawle Alkins? Lauri Markkanen? Allonzo Trier?
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

So who would you guys prefer presuming for a moment that we make it past Xavier?

I think I'd rather play Gonzaga. The thought of Allen trying to break a WVU press scares me silly.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I'd rather face Gonzaga. One reason being the revenge factor. Another being that I truly believe we deserved their 1 seed and I'd like it if we showed that on the court.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Except that this year's Arizona finally looks like all those other teams that ever scare us. Can you imagine how scared we'd be to face Rawle Alkins? Lauri Markkanen? Allonzo Trier?
I just have nightmares from previous years. Lineups like Nick Johnson, AG, RHJ, TJ, etc weren't anything to sneeze at.

When it happens, I'll feel better, but we've had some stacked teams lately. Of the last 5 EE losses, four of those rosters were pretty loaded.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Don't know Lowry, but says ... Guess that's part of the madness eh.

..." the Mountaineers are the real deal."

http://www.inquisitr.com/opinion/407249 ... -virginia/" target="_blank
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I'd prefer Gonzaga as well. 1) Familiarity. We have seen all of them but they haven't seen all of us (no Trier and PJC in first game). 2) That old saying, it is hard to beat a team twice in the same season. 3) No press. 4) Lack of being battle tested. They were on cruise control from mid-December on. If they get to the elite 8, we will be their third tough to semi-tough opponent in just over a week. I wouldn't have a great deal of confidence in a team that sleepwalked for three months to perform at a high level against good competition for three straight games in 9 days. We have had stretches like this multiple times this year. 5) History. While the elite 8 hasn't treated us well, Gonzaga's years of mediocrity and underachievement is a bigger deal. For all the pressure for Miller to finally break through to a final four, there is more for Mark Few. The pressure of being the 1 seed; the pressure of his past; and unlike Arizona, Gonzaga is not in that top tier of programs. You have to think Few strongly feels that getting a final four will be the push his program needs to get them there. Win or lose, we are still Arizona and Miller will keep bringing in top 7 classes and reloading for the next year. Few will lose Karnowsky and Matthews, the year before he lost Sabonis, Mclellan and Wiltjer. They will still be very good next year, but u have to think mentally it takes its toll to keep coming up short and lose that many great players, knowing you aren't going to be bringing in "elite right now" recruits and that you cant expect to bring in 3 great transfers every year.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Puerco wrote:So who would you guys prefer presuming for a moment that we make it past Xavier?

I think I'd rather play Gonzaga. The thought of Allen trying to break a WVU press scares me silly.
I'd rather play WVU. We can forget about the past -- Miller is flexible with his starting lineup. He'd start PJC, who's an assassin in the open floor when he isn't trying to eat up the clock. And he'd probably start Allen and Trier with him (and I wish he'd start Rawle at the 4, but let's not get nuts about this).

While Arizona can adjust to WVU, I don't think there's any adjustment for Gonzaga other than the inevitable giving up on anyone other than Markkanen on Karnowski, who can break Markkanen in half, but Markkanen may be able to deny getting him the ball in the block a few times. If Arizona is going to win, something needs to break open and flood the arena like we haven't seen all season, something along the lines of Markkanen just going absolutely nuts on offense while Karnowski pants and holds himself up by his own shorts and the announcers say, "Gonzaga has nobody who can guard him!" You know, like what other teams do to us when we're in the Elite Eight.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I just have nightmares from previous years. Lineups like Nick Johnson, AG, RHJ, TJ, etc weren't anything to sneeze at.

When it happens, I'll feel better, but we've had some stacked teams lately. Of the last 5 EE losses, four of those rosters were pretty loaded.
Blows my mind that either of those teams came up short. Losing Brandon Ashley the first go round gave us 5 great players. Next year, we basically swapped an All American NJ for a healthy Ashley and Aaron Gordon for Stanley, resulting in another team of 5 great players with Gabe York being option 6. Have to imagine things would have been different if Gabe York was option #7 in either or both of those years.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Longhorned wrote:
Puerco wrote:So who would you guys prefer presuming for a moment that we make it past Xavier?

I'd rather play WVU. We can forget about the past -- Miller is flexible with his starting lineup. He'd start PJC, who's an assassin in the open floor when he isn't trying to eat up the clock. And he'd probably start Allen and Trier with him (and I wish he'd start Rawle at the 4, but let's not get nuts about this).

While Arizona can adjust to WVU, I don't think there's any adjustment for Gonzaga other than the inevitable giving up on anyone other than Markkanen on Karnowski, who can break Markkanen in half, but Markkanen may be able to deny getting him the ball in the block a few times. If Arizona is going to win, something needs to break open and flood the arena like we haven't seen all season, something along the lines of Markkanen just going absolutely nuts on offense while Karnowski pants and holds himself up by his own shorts and the announcers say, "Gonzaga has nobody who can guard him!" You know, like what other teams do to us when we're in the Elite Eight.
Two things. 1) Lauri did an outstanding job on Karnowsky in the December game. Miller didn't put him on him until the 2nd half, but he was denying him the ball and when he did get it, it got passed to someone else fairly quickly. Lauri has that confidence plus the number he did on Landale going into a rematch. The only big deal is keeping him out of foul trouble. Chance is a much better (and smarter) defender now than he was in December when he was completely lost. Dusan is the same garbage defender, but at least he has improved his efforts to attempt ball denial. 2) Lauri was in perimeter only mode against Gonzaga. He has since done a much better job of attacking and is much better in the low post. He had a wing on him a lot of that night, who was closing out on him lightning quick and made Lauri uncomfortable to where he couldn't get a shot off. They try that now, you know what Lauri is going to do. Lauri is also not going to have to guard wings for much of the game like he did the first game too.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

rgdeuce wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

Two things. 1) Lauri did an outstanding job on Karnowsky in the December game. Miller didn't put him on him until the 2nd half, but he was denying him the ball and when he did get it, it got passed to someone else fairly quickly. Lauri has that confidence plus the number he did on Landale going into a rematch. The only big deal is keeping him out of foul trouble. Chance is a much better (and smarter) defender now than he was in December when he was completely lost. Dusan is the same garbage defender, but at least he has improved his efforts to attempt ball denial. 2) Lauri was in perimeter only mode against Gonzaga. He has since done a much better job of attacking and is much better in the low post. He had a wing on him a lot of that night, who was closing out on him lightning quick and made Lauri uncomfortable to where he couldn't get a shot off. They try that now, you know what Lauri is going to do. Lauri is also not going to have to guard wings for much of the game like he did the first game too.
That's all on the money. In a real way, Arizona has a feel for Gonzaga in a way that Gonzaga can't have a feel for Arizona -- not just about Trier, but also Lauri having had half his game and playing out of position. Especially in the case of weekend tourney games, but really in all cases, scouting and practicing alone can't really prepare teams for matchups, and Arizona has an edge there.

Also, this business about Markannen's switch to the 5 as an adjustment instead of starting that way: I agree, that's by necessity. Miller is plainly keyed in on surviving the first half with limited foul trouble, trading punches after halftime, and then trying to win the game full-throttle in the last four "wars" of the second half. A confidently sophisticated Arizona fan might spend most of the game luxuriating in a bath of cool horse hoof gelatin, and then languidly reaching for the "power" button on the remote with 15 minutes to go in the second half.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

This is where I am at every game and why I say really stupid things regarding Arizona and the tournament.

Learned helplessness
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

I'd add one other thing. We had no ability to try to wear Karnowski down in December. We had to try to play a game to rest our guys because we only had 7 scholarship players. That is as favorable a situation as possible for Karnowski. Now, we can try to run a big guy and wear him down, and we completely lacked that in December.

In December, we were trying to keep Gonzaga from wearing us down. Now, we get to fight them on even terms.

I worry about WVa's press and ability to shake things up. Zaga is a team that we get to play our game against, and I like that better.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

West Virginia will beat Gonzaga.

I only hope that WVU shoots lights out again against them.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
97cats

Post by 97cats »

pc in NM wrote: The three time zones is not a big deal going West - it's going East that is the killer....
i couldnt disagree with post any more

case in point, Xavier played two games in Florida and flew back to Cincinnati late Saturday night getting home early Sunday morning.

they had a team meeting on Sunday afternoon and coaches began to prepare game tape. today will be classes and practice and tomorrow is a travel day which includes a five and a half hour flight to San Jose. Wed is media meet & greet with a light open practice to the public and Thursday tip follows the Gonzaga/WVU game which starts at 4:40PST.

in the tournament, not only are the T.V. timeouts longer but so is halftime. almost every game has run over its 2 hour allotted slot and there is a 30 min intermission in between games.

because Xavier got the late game, which is scheduled to tip any-time after 7:10pm PST, this means when the face Arizona the game will begin no earlier than 10:10pm EST, and more than likely later than that.

consider the long commercials and intermissions and Xavier is looking at conservatively starting the second half of Thursdays quick turnaround at 11:30EST and will be playing much of the second half (most importantly the last 10mins of the game) after midnight EST.

now i dont know if youve had to travel like this and play ELITE level games against ELITE level competition on the quick turnaround in hostile unfamiliar surroundings, but those who have can tell you the travel and time difference is a major factor.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Go Gonzaga!!!
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

He's right. Travel matters. If you think it doesn't think about why teams do a charter flight as well.

Travel sucks, it's the worst part of your vacation every year.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I want the Zags too...but it ain't happenin
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Alieberman wrote:
With Duke and Nova losing....

Winner of Gonzaga / Arizona has a golden ticket to the Finals

We couldn't have a better draw
i agree -- the entire draw (outside of maybe having to play Bob Huggins and WVU in the ELITE 8) and they way it has played out so far has been a gift horse right in the mutha f*ckin mouth.

think of this, if Arizona and Gonzaga win then youve got the Gonzaga payback and dare i say, Wisconsin in the Final Four and Kansas or UCLA in the final.

sweet baby Jesus lets beat those Musketeers.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Some absoultely great sweet 16 matchups

Gonzaga vs WVU
Kentucky vs UCLA - I am looking forward to Fox vs Ball
Purdue vs Kansas
Michigan vs Oregon - going to be a fun one
Butler vs UNC
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Olsondogg wrote:I want the Zags too...but it ain't happenin
f*ck me in the gonads.

when the bracket got released i was asked to do a podcast and i said right off the bat that the only team that could take Arizona down in the west region is WVU and every Arizona fan from here to China should be rooting for whoever plays WVU.

they have a coach that has been to the final four before and have some impressive wins this season including Kansas, Iowa State (x2), Baylor, Virginia just to name a few.

they are absolutely one of the worst match-ups for Arizona in the country. if the refs let them push and pull and grab and claw its going to be awful tough for Arizona's biggest weakness to overcome.

i pray to all things sane in the world that Gonzaga finds a way to beat them. i saw the Zags live on December 3rd and they were soft as tissue paper.

Arizona has tape on them and two players back (specifically Trier) who would have made that game totally different.

we didnt double the big once all game and i realized that was because Sean wasnt tipping his hand knowing he would probably see them again in March. Arizona will be game planned and focused against Gonzaga and Mark Few will carry the same pressure and urgency that Sean Miller will shoulder.

DO NOT WANT BOB HUGGINS -- do not want
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Gonzaga. Better the devil you know. Huggy bear and his stool are terrifying outside looking in. Fuck Press Virginia

And it will complete the revenge tour of this team not losing twice.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I believe in destiny and Hollywood storybooks

Since the brackets came out I always saw it as inevitable it would be Miller vs Few... "the battle of the 2 best current coaches yet to go to the A Final 4". Winner has the monkey off his back

It's destiny
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Chicat wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:Going to be a tough game. Xavier is better than Saint Mary's

Not according Kenpom, Sagarin, or BPI. :)
Not according to me either. St. Mary's has better players at just about every position.
Agreed.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Press Virginia - disrupts playing rhythm

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... untaineers" target="_blank

Yeah, revenge game better. Zags the devil Cats know. :!:
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

97cats wrote:
pc in NM wrote: The three time zones is not a big deal going West - it's going East that is the killer....
i couldnt disagree with post any more

case in point, Xavier played two games in Florida and flew back to Cincinnati late Saturday night getting home early Sunday morning.

they had a team meeting on Sunday afternoon and coaches began to prepare game tape. today will be classes and practice and tomorrow is a travel day which includes a five and a half hour flight to San Jose. Wed is media meet & greet with a light open practice to the public and Thursday tip follows the Gonzaga/WVU game which starts at 4:40PST.

in the tournament, not only are the T.V. timeouts longer but so is halftime. almost every game has run over its 2 hour allotted slot and there is a 30 min intermission in between games.

because Xavier got the late game, which is scheduled to tip any-time after 7:10pm PST, this means when the face Arizona the game will begin no earlier than 10:10pm EST, and more than likely later than that.

consider the long commercials and intermissions and Xavier is looking at conservatively starting the second half of Thursdays quick turnaround at 11:30EST and will be playing much of the second half (most importantly the last 10mins of the game) after midnight EST.

now i dont know if youve had to travel like this and play ELITE level games against ELITE level competition on the quick turnaround in hostile unfamiliar surroundings, but those who have can tell you the travel and time difference is a major factor.

Absolutely. Agree entirely. And wanted to point out that going EAST is absolutely not worse than coming WEST as 97 shows in his post. You lose hours going east so it will be later out there than your body feels. Your body will feel it is 2 hours earlier (using MST as an example) When you come back WEST, you gain back hours, but your body feels it is 2 hours later than it is (as 97 is showing in Xavier example). Trust me. I just went to DC and back from Idaho last week.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

97cats wrote:
f*ck me in the gonads.

when the bracket got released i was asked to do a podcast and i said right off the bat that the only team that could take Arizona down in the west region is WVU and every Arizona fan from here to China should be rooting for whoever plays WVU.

they have a coach that has been to the final four before and have some impressive wins this season including Kansas, Iowa State (x2), Baylor, Virginia just to name a few.

they are absolutely one of the worst match-ups for Arizona in the country. if the refs let them push and pull and grab and claw its going to be awful tough for Arizona's biggest weakness to overcome.

i pray to all things sane in the world that Gonzaga finds a way to beat them. i saw the Zags live on December 3rd and they were soft as tissue paper.

Arizona has tape on them and two players back (specifically Trier) who would have made that game totally different.

we didnt double the big once all game and i realized that was because Sean wasnt tipping his hand knowing he would probably see them again in March. Arizona will be game planned and focused against Gonzaga and Mark Few will carry the same pressure and urgency that Sean Miller will shoulder.

Correct on all points...and when I saw our region I thought the same. It's also why I picked the matchup to happen.

I am going on the assumption that the Zags will lose to WVU and Arizona will beat Xavier. Don't forget 97, that the Mountaineers still have to travel to the west coast, and this will be the second game of that weekend for them. Hopefully the Zags win, but if they don't I hope they give a good game to WVU.

in that case WVU wins a few things need to happen IMO.

First, the "pressure" full court defense that Huggins implements works very well when things seem frantic and the opposing team feels that something is slipping away--and the refs allow grabbing and pushing to happen (which in the NCAA they tend to allow). That does not bode well for the Cats...but really, it should be a wash if things are done correctly. First, PJC should never be allowed to inbound the ball, he should be there as a primary ball handler...I haven't understood Miller's thoughts on letting him inbound except for the fact that he must trust his decision making. If it were me, I'd let someone taller (Lauri or even Rawle inbound the ball). Second, setting screens from a 4 across line up set is really simple and effective to break a press and lead to some easy baskets that may discourage the full court press over the course of the game.

Second, WVU scores...but doesn't shoot terribly well...especially from the arc. 10 players average double digit minutes, due to the style of ball that they play. They are not a fantastic free throw shooting team either. Really, the reason why Huggins implements the "Press Virginia" style of play is because he wants to stay in games by maximizing the number of possessions that his team gets to score. They've done this very well all year. However in several of their losses they've seemingly run out of gas in the second half of games. Arizona playing well in those time periods against them and factoring in a "wear down" factor may be crucial in this regard and I like the West Coast and hopefully late game Saturday to help this.

Lastly, if Arizona would play WVU the most important thing for Arizona to do would to be to slow the game down and limit possessions. Similar to what St. Mary's tried. I know it sounds a bit crazy to model that, but quality possessions ending with bucket or fouls late in the shot clock are demoralizing. WVU has been suspect to completely melting down and losing faith in the gameplan when things go sideways on them...and that's what Arizona would need to do. Easier said than done...but that's probably the most important thing IMO.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Also the ball should never, never...I repeat never be thrown to the fucking corner on an inbound. Seen this shit all year...throw it long if need be, but not to the coffin corner.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Olsondogg wrote:
97cats wrote:
f*ck me in the gonads.

Correct on all points...and when I saw our region I thought the same. It's also why I picked the matchup to happen.

I am going on the assumption that the Zags will lose to WVU and Arizona will beat Xavier. Don't forget 97, that the Mountaineers still have to travel to the west coast, and this will be the second game of that weekend for them. Hopefully the Zags win, but if they don't I hope they give a good game to WVU.

in that case WVU wins a few things need to happen IMO.

First, the "pressure" full court defense that Huggins implements works very well when things seem frantic and the opposing team feels that something is slipping away--and the refs allow grabbing and pushing to happen (which in the NCAA they tend to allow). That does not bode well for the Cats...but really, it should be a wash if things are done correctly. First, PJC should never be allowed to inbound the ball, he should be there as a primary ball handler...I haven't understood Miller's thoughts on letting him inbound except for the fact that he must trust his decision making. If it were me, I'd let someone taller (Lauri or even Rawle inbound the ball). Second, setting screens from a 4 across line up set is really simple and effective to break a press and lead to some easy baskets that may discourage the full court press over the course of the game.

Second, WVU scores...but doesn't shoot terribly well...especially from the arc. 10 players average double digit minutes, due to the style of ball that they play. They are not a fantastic free throw shooting team either. Really, the reason why Huggins implements the "Press Virginia" style of play is because he wants to stay in games by maximizing the number of possessions that his team gets to score. They've done this very well all year. However in several of their losses they've seemingly run out of gas in the second half of games. Arizona playing well in those time periods against them and factoring in a "wear down" factor may be crucial in this regard and I like the West Coast and hopefully late game Saturday to help this.

Lastly, if Arizona would play WVU the most important thing for Arizona to do would to be to slow the game down and limit possessions. Similar to what St. Mary's tried. I know it sounds a bit crazy to model that, but quality possessions ending with bucket or fouls late in the shot clock are demoralizing. WVU has been suspect to completely melting down and losing faith in the gameplan when things go sideways on them...and that's what Arizona would need to do. Easier said than done...but that's probably the most important thing IMO.
The problem with this breakdown is that it makes sense. What happens in Arizona games in the Elite Eight never make sense. We could very well see Arizona breaking the press, protecting the ball, and dealing with a WVU team that can't miss a contested 3.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Arizona fans also need to realize that in life sometimes things work out, just not the way you wanted them to.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Both Gonzaga and WVU present the issue of bringing an elite defense and knowing you have to step up because they are still going to put points up. We have weapons, and I think when you have weapons it is much easier for them to step up and make big/tough shots against an extremely fundamentally sound and gelled defense. But throw in tons of pressure, all bets are off. As stated 100x before, throw in Kadeem and an undersized PJC at PG into the mix, even more problems. Easy to see why pretty much everyone here prefers Gonzaga.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

rgdeuce wrote:Both Gonzaga and WVU present the issue of bringing an elite defense and knowing you have to step up because they are still going to put points up. We have weapons, and I think when you have weapons it is much easier for them to step up and make big/tough shots against an extremely fundamentally sound and gelled defense. But throw in tons of pressure, all bets are off. As stated 100x before, throw in Kadeem and an undersized PJC at PG into the mix, even more problems. Easy to see why pretty much everyone here prefers Gonzaga.

I agree, but I'm more worried about the Zags offense than the defense...and the opposite for WVU. While both defenses & offenses are ranked similarly between them (Zags #12 offense, #1 defense; WVU #25 offense, #5 defense) I think the quality of opponents really comes into play here...

Either way, I like destiny, karma and the like to play in Arizona's favor. People forget that this Arizona team has about 17 games with Trier in the lineup, and what like 15 games "fully" healthy? Beaten uCla twice, Oregon, St. Mary's...and all 4 of Arizona's losses have come to Sweet 16 teams.

That's frightening to opponents as well.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Olsondogg wrote:Also the ball should never, never...I repeat never be thrown to the fucking corner on an inbound. Seen this shit all year...throw it long if need be, but not to the coffin corner.
Amen. There's a reason that guy in the corner is open. There is zero reason why he should be there in the first place.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I'm thinking Gonzaga because we've had two opportunities to avenge a loss and handled it well. Would like to do the same with the Zags. To bad we won't have that opportunity with Butler.
Last edited by azgreg on Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Olsondogg wrote:

wow, well done, Odogg -- thats a really solid post.

i took out parts of it cause there is really nothing for me to add but the bolded blue has drove me nucking futs all god damn year.

thank you for sharing