2016-2017 Arizona Basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

EVCat

Re: 2016-2017 Arizona Basketball

Post by EVCat »

Longhorned wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:Also LH you are nuts if you think the casual fan gets anything close to the feeling we get when we win. Trust me, I'm a die-hard Pats fan constantly surrounded by fair weather fans. They are everywhere, and when the Superbowl is over I spend weeks basking in the glow, they spend a couple hours then forget who 95% of the players not named Tom Brady are
They enjoy it. Whereas we feel this powerful euphoria born of relief, followed by mostly happiness but also a slight, underlying confusion from seeing how nothing in the world has changed, and a budding realization that all that time we put into our fandom culminating in a fleeting experience that nobody around is thinking about or talking about anymore.

And so we come back here again and talk to each other, reaffirming to ourselves the centrality of this basketball program to the core of who we are, and getting back to the real business of talking about the possibility of winning another title in the future.

We could have been reading Jerome K. Jerome, getting lost in some remote land and marrying a topless jungle princess, or getting off our usual jobs at 5:00 and then managing the night shift of a municipal water treatment facility. And we could still enjoy that championship when it comes around.
"In the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make..."

You get out what you put in. The casual will be happy, sure. But it isn't the same. Not at all. Pushing your whole stack in means losing or taking everyone's money. Skin in the game always matters...

Anything worth doing is worth doing with passion. Those who hedge their bets never lose but never win...
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:I was so depressed the day I toured the K center outside Cameron and say our trophy the the zebras stole from us.

I don't ever want to feel that way again.

McKale needs some updated hardware.
Was it a guided tour? If yes, you should have asked if the refs got rings too.
Self guided tour, but with security on the premises. In case you were wondering. :)
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:I was so depressed the day I toured the K center outside Cameron and say our trophy the the zebras stole from us.

Self guided tour, but with security on the premises. In case you were wondering. :)
What happened to that Duke kid from TOS who posted an image of himself with that trophy? Wolfman_Duke or something like that. Pretty solid poster for the most part.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

What happened to that Duke kid from TOS who posted an image of himself with that trophy? Wolfman_Duke or something like that. Pretty solid poster for the most part.
What did Wolfie do to that potato salad again?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Longhorned wrote:Alieberman is the only Cats fan for whom non-sports fans rent out the President's Suite of airport hotels to watch Arizona play in the Elite Eight. Name one year when that hasn't happened to him.
You mentioning this and hearing everyone's stories takes me back to this event.... 1 of the worst nights of my life.

I know I told this story before but I'm feeling a need to retell it.

It's March 29th, 2014 and I'm working a small conference in a hotel in Rosemont, IL (A nice O'hare Hotel) This is our last day working there and my Cats are in the elite 8 and are to play Wisconsin that evening for a trip to the Final 4. My clients and colleagues want to plan a dinner event for all of us to celebrate a job well done. Normally this would be great, I really like these people... but there is no way in hell I'm going out to a nice dinner on this evening. They know I'm a big UofA fan (They know... but they don't really know how big) They will totally understand when I tell them thanks but no thanks... I really want to watch this game. They will all go out and I will go back to my room, order room service and be all by myself to watch this all important game. This is the perfect scenario.

It all goes to plan, they feel bad but I tell them not to worry... maybe I will join them for drinks later (a total lie)... it's all good.

Work day goes by so slow... I am counting down the hours, minutes , seconds until I am done working and get up to my room. It's just after lunch when I get the news... My client has been talking to the hotel General Manager and guess what... the Hotel has given my client the Presidential Suite for the night... they are no longer going out to dinner.... they are going to party in the presidential suite, order pizza.. and watch some sort of basketball game... and they did this for me.

God Damnit.

I obviously can't turn this down and for the next few hours I convince myself that this isn't going to be too bad... I was wrong... it was worse.

I spend the entire game explaining stupid shit to all of these horrible people... people I really liked up until tipoff. But in all my explaining I did manage to make this entire group into Cat fans. (This comes back to haunt me in a big way)

I have to contain most of my emotions but as the game is winding down... I need to stand and get very close to the TV (This is kind of a thing I do in big close games) Everyone is kind of laughing at me, but fuck it ,I don't care.

We all know how this game ended. Refs screw us again... I am in shock and in despair. And then 1 of the women who I just turned into a Cats fan over the last 2 hours... starts crying.

Fuck Me.

So my natural instincts take over and I spend the next 20 minutes consoling her. That's right I'm fucking consoling her after MY team just lost their ticket to the Final 4.

Horrible, horrible night.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

EDIT: Nevermind, I missed it.

-----

And didn't some kind woman actually cry on your behalf?
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

I didn't realize we were all insane. We're not insane. Are we?

I'm lucky. I've an excellent BearDown Cave with two screens and receivers. Cat games go on the 60" and second choice games go on the 40". I've capacity to drag a third setup down the hall from the bedroom if necessary (not usually). My group of approved game-watching friends is limited and close-knit. They all, to a man, understand my Arizona fandom and respect it wholly. Many of them have adopted the Cats as a secondary rooting interest because of me. Among us there is a Michigan fan, a Syracuse fan (boy did he talk too much smack at the beginning of the season), a few BSU fans (obviously) and a lowly Idaho Vandals fan or two who have to look elsewhere for their sports entertainment. We all respect and support each other's rooting interests to the extent that it doesn't conflict with our own. I host all the time and am happy to do so with this group of guys. I've no problem getting excited among this group - pacing, ranting, raving, standing close in front of the screen at crunch time, swearing, yelling and fist-pumping in triumphant moments. Ours is a constant informed banter of game commentary and player/team/coach/program/recruiting/historical news and information. Women are welcome, of course, but they tend to pop in and migrate quickly back downstairs when they feel the intensity and realize we're not talking or paying attention to them. Occasionally, an uninitiated tag-a-long straggler shows up. I welcome all with a cold beer from the fridge and a pull of wellness from our talented neighbors in Oregon and Washington, but I'm quick to glare-down the fool who cracks wise about the Cats, doesn't know what he's talking about or otherwise doesn't appreciate the proceedings. I shut a buddy's new gal down hard when they showed up late into the UW football game and she started popping off in favor of the Huskies. "Do you like Arizona or something?" The room is literally littered with the Block A, Arizona banners and such. I suggested that she not show up in my house after I'd been sitting there in my chair watching football all day waiting for my late game and act stupid. Eyebrows raised and my buddy advised her to cool it. Back downstairs with the other ladies. I definitely prefer to watch games at my place where I control the remote and have the Pac-12 Network as needed.

Then there's the friendly Canadian GF. Although she tries to feign it, she really has no interest in my "sports games." Who's playing? Um, it's been five years babe. See the big A on the field or the court, see the kids in the Arizona uniforms? This is our fifth NCAA Tournament season together and just yesterday I had to explain to her again, for the hundredth time, March Madness and the difference between the NCAA Tournament, Pac-12 Tournament, regular season, conferences and so on and so forth. She watches for a minute, tries to care and then wanders off. Bless her heart. Nonetheless, she is a wonderful hostess. She loves having the guys over. Never complains. Ever. She makes us snacks, orders pizza, brings it up or sets it up buffet style in the kitchen and serves us with real plates and cloth napkins, arranging everything just so. Sometimes she's doing this and blocking the television, oblivious, and I have to tell her to get out of the way. I'll probably burn in hell, but hey. And all the while the former Mrs. BD89, my ex, is texting me - just as riled up or excited about the game situation at hand. We're still good friends and share that Arizona bond, especially at tourney time. The nice thing about riding in my second domestic rodeo is that there are no social expectations at game time. The friendly Canadian GF would never expect or require me to attend a social function in lieu of a Cat game unless I wanted to instead. My close friends understand this too. Usually, it's "I'll be along after my game." My kids are older so there's no interference there either.

Otherwise, I'm not usually big on watching games at bars if I actually want to pay attention. Too many distractions for me and typically not enough vested Arizona interest among the locals to make it like a group thing where everybody is into it and your focused on it like a World Series or championship game. There is, however, a new Buffalo Wild Wings across the street from my office. There are a ton of bright new screens and the beer is cold. I've made acquaintance with a Cat-friendly manager and he's always ready to hook me up with a screen at the bar. I enjoyed watching several of the lesser weeknight games there this season and sometimes the loud music, good or bad, was better than listening to the Walton & Pasch Show.

Lofty, we did talk on the old site. There's a guy with the handle of drugolf on Scout in town too. Met him for a beer and a game at Buster's in Eagle once a few years back. We should do the same sometime.

Classic thread fellas. Love reading all these stories. We are indeed insane. In a good way. Go Cats. Bear Down.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Sounds like its time to make the GF an offer she cannot refuse.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:
Olsondogg wrote: I don't want to be them...I live life with passion and what I love, I love fully. For me there is no other way to live.
Exactly. I feel bad for the casual fan, it must sick to watch a game and, in all likelihood, not really know what's going on.
I don't know. That is sort of how I am with Arizona football. I root for the team, I know the game well enough, but I don't follow recruiting heavily or tune in until just before the season. Then, I sort of float along without too much emotion because I always assume Arizona football will let you down.

I think we all have sports teams like that, it's just that Arizona fans tend to be far more passionate about basketball.
Im the same way. My buddies are all gung ho about football, keeping up w the recruiting, blowing their loads over hiring a new defensive backs coach and im like..... In the last five years I think I've watched maybe four games. I didnt miss a game when I was in college and for a couple years after, but looking back it was mostly about getting shitfaced w good friends and scanning for the next hook up, with a football game sandwiched in the middle. Ive just outgrown sports in general outside of Arizona basketball.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I like football, and it's an important net generator.

But college basketball conveys the ultimate transcendent poetics of cosmic forces in tension, aesthetically laying bare the pure beauty of tragedy and triumph.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Longhorned wrote:I like football, and it's an important net generator.

But college basketball conveys the ultimate transcendent poetics of cosmic forces in tension, aesthetically laying bare the pure beauty of tragedy and triumph.
One Shining Moment.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

rgdeuce wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
OMG! Great story BD89! I remember that game and Kenny trying to draw the foul from that UNLV guy at the 3 point line....was with 2 of my best buddies in Tucson literally yelling then acting dumbfounded at the loss.....Still hate Tarkanian and the UNLV thugs to this day....ughhhh.

Love me some Kenny Lofton though....had no idea he was a baseball stud till after his college hoops career.

He is a GREAT Wildcat.
He really wasn't. Based on what Crist told me: Lofton couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat and would miss breaking balls by two feet. He came to then-manager Jerry Kindall after the basketball season and asked to play and Kindall worked him out and kept him on the team. Think he was only on the team a month or month and a half and I believe he was only used exclusively as a pinch runner. He stole a shit ton of bases in a very short time. Crist was on the 1980 national championship baseball team and was scouting at the time. I dont know if he was there scouting someone else or if Kindall called him up and said you have to watch this kid fly, but Crist shows up and sees Lofton fly. He told us he had never seen someone fly so fast on a baseball field, and he had a great (but inaccurate) throwing arm. He said you could almost put him in CF by himself and he could get to pretty much anything. He was bad, but like they say, you cant teach blazing speed. Crist got him drafted and signed merely for that. Of course, Kenny being as athletically superior as he was, had the right coaching in the minors to turn him into a guy who could at least get a bat on the ball and use his speed from there, to eventually becoming a very good major league hitter. If you ask Crist how bad Lofton was at Arizona, he would start laughing before telling you about 50 stories about how bad he was
Sorry, I didn't mean great Wildcat hoops player but was basing that on his outstanding Baseball career. Anyways, as usual, interesting insight from you rgdeuce :-). Bear Down!
WildHolcs

Post by WildHolcs »

Some of these stories and emotions have me rolling, so relatable. I mean zona bball was one of the deciding decisions on why I chose to go to UA. The casual fan thing I totally get, and is why I turned down an invite for tomorrows game to go watch with some alumni/friends - just a mixed group of girls/guys who I know don't follow as close as I do and would rather be drinking/socializing... Hell no for me. Rather watch alone, get fired up, yell at the TV, jump around like a spaz and not have to pretend talk to anyone.

I was lucky enough to be a freshman for the 01 run and ended up watching the 'chip game in a certain frat on campus with a ton of drunk frat bros. Was fun but the loss was pretty devastating - but I mean I was a freshman so there was a lot of beers to consume, a wild atmosphere, and didn't hit me as hard as it would've today. Still hate Puke with a passion

03' hit me harder. Watched at O'malleys - good vibes and good times and the great thing as an undergraduate in Tucson bars is everyone was rowdy and just cussing out the refs/hinrich/collison, so I was fitting in just fine. Everyone is on the same level. Still hate Kansass.

05' The post college years. Illinois, freshly graduated, group of about 10 Zona friends together in Orange County. A few follow hardcore, a few just more so around for the Madness. Was brutal, but we were all together and going to drink and console each other and still try to make a fun night out of it. It was here I realized I needed to watch the high anxiety/stress games with only a select few. For some reason don't hate Illinois - prob because they just aren't ever relevant.

11' Smaller crowd, my roommate throughout all my time at UA -both of us extremely die hard. And one other guy who is a bit more casual but tolerable. This one lingered with me for the rest of the weekend and into the next week - pretty much just got really sour to everyone. Hung out with my parents the next day...they've learned over the years not to bring up anything zona or basketball for that matter after a big loss. My talk is short, not social at all. I honestly act like I did when I was a kid and lost a middle or high school game. So pouty. It's really sad at my age, and really the only time I get like that ha. Don't hate uconn, but am jealous of how some of their chips have fallen.

14' Again just my college roommate and one other guy who's a real close friend. This was the worst. I went into a similar zone as the 11 game, just went on for longer. Wanted that one so bad for Miller and NJ and truly thought we'd break through. I hate Whisky

15' Watched alone. Was fired up and pretty pissy but for some reason didn't linger as much. It was like a 48 hour funk. I guess b/c they were just on fire and there wasn't much we could do. I wished (still do wish) awful things on Kaminsky and Dekker and hoped their NBA careers would be shit.

The damn Final 4 cock block that is the Elite 8 might give us all a heart attack soon, we gotta break through. MM is a great time, and at the same time, a very stressful time for all of us here. But in the end, it's all worth it because of that feeling...and all the amazing memories of the big games that we did WIN. I can't count all the close games over the years that were pretty high stakes and we came through and it's the best feeling ever. One that always stands out to me is the beat down of Duke in 11, and watching with my zona roommate... just me and him and us just jumping around, so pumped, so happy for days...shit Im still smiling about that W. ha. Even with the unfortunate 8s, we're all lucky as hell we love a team/program as consistent and amazing as UA bball. I'm not sure Ill sleep much tonight, or be very productive tomorrow but I really hope we all see a few Ws these next few days.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Chicat wrote:
Chicat wrote:Fuck ...... is it really only Tuesday?
Oh my fucking god ........ it's still only Wednesday.
Holy shit! It's Thursday!!!

Now I just need to figure out how to make the next 14 hours fly by...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Bangkok Wildcat

Chicat wrote:
Chicat wrote:

You're lucky Chicat....I've got to try to get some sleep as it's night here but too amped right now...dayummmmm. BTFD.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

I have to try to take a nap from 9 pm to midnight, since I will want to watch all the games. I will then have to try to go to sleep for a few hours at around 6 am after our game finishes so I can at least pretend to be productive tomorrow.

BRUTAL.

BUT BTFD
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Chicat wrote:
Chicat wrote:

I'm sure to most people around the office I look stupid or even offensive walking around grabbing my nuts and bearing down all day - but fuck those prude motherfuckers!
baconus66

Post by baconus66 »

I feel like such a bad fan reading this thread.

Best I can remember I have never thrown or broken anything watching a game. And my girlfriend's kids were around me watching a game for the first time Saturday and they aren't terrified of me.

Apparently I need to step it up.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

baconus66 wrote:I feel like such a bad fan reading this thread.

Best I can remember I have never thrown or broken anything watching a game. And my girlfriend's kids were around me watching a game for the first time Saturday and they aren't terrified of me.

Apparently I need to step it up.
That broken remote control someone posted used to be me. Sure went through them.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Stupid, stupid meetings. I cannot coast today.

And here I am, typing this, 8 minutes before a phoner that I need to lead and convince skeptical people that I do, in fact, know what I am doing on this project. Quick synopsis...I led a project that touches 12 different departments in 5 different groups of a large bank operations group. I determined some regulatory impact for each of their procedures. It's a big scale thing, but they live/eat/breathe their little groups. They are wayyyyy more granular on this s**t than need be. When the results came out, they want to discuss each finding...there are over 250 documents touched by this project. I cannot go over every one with each of these groups arguing fine details...the goal of this project is to have a jumping off point for a query, not 100% iron clad association. Ramble, ramble, no one cares.....

...except if I gotta care about this shit today, so do all of you :)

I am just going to wing it. I am better that way....
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

:lol: b d :!:
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EVCat wrote:Stupid, stupid meetings. I cannot coast today.

And here I am, typing this, 8 minutes before a phoner that I need to lead and convince skeptical people that I do, in fact, know what I am doing on this project. Quick synopsis...I led a project that touches 12 different departments in 5 different groups of a large bank operations group. I determined some regulatory impact for each of their procedures. It's a big scale thing, but they live/eat/breathe their little groups. They are wayyyyy more granular on this s**t than need be. When the results came out, they want to discuss each finding...there are over 250 documents touched by this project. I cannot go over every one with each of these groups arguing fine details...the goal of this project is to have a jumping off point for a query, not 100% iron clad association. Ramble, ramble, no one cares.....

You should make explicit reference to the Sweet 16 game tonight and the degree to which it poses a challenge with regard to focus. This is a jumping off point for an explanation that if your understanding of the issues is solid under these circumstances, it is fair to assume that it is superior in non-tournament settings.

Further, while attention to detail matters, paralysis by analysis is a real thing. A useful metaphor is Allonzo Trier's decisionmaking vs a zone. While a generally sound principle is to attempt to feed a cutter at the high post, if Trier has an open lane to the basket against Xavier, he needs to attack the rim, not wait to see if he can get that cutter.

Arizona's zone offense simply won't work if they rotate the ball east-west on the perimeter analyzing what the defense gives them. This allows Xavier to benefit from our inaction and we work against a ticking clock. Similarly, the longer your work project is stalled, the longer the current flawed system remains in place. It doesn't matter if you craft a perfect system if you needed it 6 months prior. It doesn't matter if we get a perfect shot against Xavier if the shot clock has already expired.

There's comfort in inaction because it minimizes the chance of a mistake. It overlooks the negative consequences inherent in inaction itself.
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

BearDown89 wrote:I didn't realize we were all insane. We're not insane. Are we?

I'm lucky. I've an excellent BearDown Cave with two screens and receivers. Cat games go on the 60" and second choice games go on the 40". I've capacity to drag a third setup down the hall from the bedroom if necessary (not usually). My group of approved game-watching friends is limited and close-knit. They all, to a man, understand my Arizona fandom and respect it wholly. Many of them have adopted the Cats as a secondary rooting interest because of me. Among us there is a Michigan fan, a Syracuse fan (boy did he talk too much smack at the beginning of the season), a few BSU fans (obviously) and a lowly Idaho Vandals fan or two who have to look elsewhere for their sports entertainment. We all respect and support each other's rooting interests to the extent that it doesn't conflict with our own. I host all the time and am happy to do so with this group of guys. I've no problem getting excited among this group - pacing, ranting, raving, standing close in front of the screen at crunch time, swearing, yelling and fist-pumping in triumphant moments. Ours is a constant informed banter of game commentary and player/team/coach/program/recruiting/historical news and information. Women are welcome, of course, but they tend to pop in and migrate quickly back downstairs when they feel the intensity and realize we're not talking or paying attention to them. Occasionally, an uninitiated tag-a-long straggler shows up. I welcome all with a cold beer from the fridge and a pull of wellness from our talented neighbors in Oregon and Washington, but I'm quick to glare-down the fool who cracks wise about the Cats, doesn't know what he's talking about or otherwise doesn't appreciate the proceedings. I shut a buddy's new gal down hard when they showed up late into the UW football game and she started popping off in favor of the Huskies. "Do you like Arizona or something?" The room is literally littered with the Block A, Arizona banners and such. I suggested that she not show up in my house after I'd been sitting there in my chair watching football all day waiting for my late game and act stupid. Eyebrows raised and my buddy advised her to cool it. Back downstairs with the other ladies. I definitely prefer to watch games at my place where I control the remote and have the Pac-12 Network as needed.

Then there's the friendly Canadian GF. Although she tries to feign it, she really has no interest in my "sports games." Who's playing? Um, it's been five years babe. See the big A on the field or the court, see the kids in the Arizona uniforms? This is our fifth NCAA Tournament season together and just yesterday I had to explain to her again, for the hundredth time, March Madness and the difference between the NCAA Tournament, Pac-12 Tournament, regular season, conferences and so on and so forth. She watches for a minute, tries to care and then wanders off. Bless her heart. Nonetheless, she is a wonderful hostess. She loves having the guys over. Never complains. Ever. She makes us snacks, orders pizza, brings it up or sets it up buffet style in the kitchen and serves us with real plates and cloth napkins, arranging everything just so. Sometimes she's doing this and blocking the television, oblivious, and I have to tell her to get out of the way. I'll probably burn in hell, but hey. And all the while the former Mrs. BD89, my ex, is texting me - just as riled up or excited about the game situation at hand. We're still good friends and share that Arizona bond, especially at tourney time. The nice thing about riding in my second domestic rodeo is that there are no social expectations at game time. The friendly Canadian GF would never expect or require me to attend a social function in lieu of a Cat game unless I wanted to instead. My close friends understand this too. Usually, it's "I'll be along after my game." My kids are older so there's no interference there either.

Otherwise, I'm not usually big on watching games at bars if I actually want to pay attention. Too many distractions for me and typically not enough vested Arizona interest among the locals to make it like a group thing where everybody is into it and your focused on it like a World Series or championship game. There is, however, a new Buffalo Wild Wings across the street from my office. There are a ton of bright new screens and the beer is cold. I've made acquaintance with a Cat-friendly manager and he's always ready to hook me up with a screen at the bar. I enjoyed watching several of the lesser weeknight games there this season and sometimes the loud music, good or bad, was better than listening to the Walton & Pasch Show.

Lofty, we did talk on the old site. There's a guy with the handle of drugolf on Scout in town too. Met him for a beer and a game at Buster's in Eagle once a few years back. We should do the same sometime.

Classic thread fellas. Love reading all these stories. We are indeed insane. In a good way. Go Cats. Bear Down.

Great descriptive post. Perhaps BD, you work downtown over by the only new BWW I know in the VAlley? I work downtown too. Over at 10th and Jefferson.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
EVCat wrote:Stupid, stupid meetings. I cannot coast today.

You should make explicit reference to the Sweet 16 game tonight and the degree to which it poses a challenge with regard to focus. This is a jumping off point for an explanation that if your understanding of the issues is solid under these circumstances, it is fair to assume that it is superior in non-tournament settings.

Further, while attention to detail matters, paralysis by analysis is a real thing. A useful metaphor is Allonzo Trier's decisionmaking vs a zone. While a generally sound principle is to attempt to feed a cutter at the high post, if Trier has an open lane to the basket against Xavier, he needs to attack the rim, not wait to see if he can get that cutter.

Arizona's zone offense simply won't work if they rotate the ball east-west on the perimeter analyzing what the defense gives them. This allows Xavier to benefit from our inaction and we work against a ticking clock. Similarly, the longer your work project is stalled, the longer the current flawed system remains in place. It doesn't matter if you craft a perfect system if you needed it 6 months prior. It doesn't matter if we get a perfect shot against Xavier if the shot clock has already expired.

There's comfort in inaction because it minimizes the chance of a mistake. It overlooks the negative consequences inherent in inaction itself.

OMG was that a great reply. Had me LMAO
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I really should wing it more often. That went well. I had Iowa, North Carolina, and NorCal on the phone and gave an overview of the project and why it was correct and what needed to be done if something was really incorrect but what my methodology was and....

...it was a nuclear bomb on an anthill. They just wanted to know how it affected them. It doesn't really. They then asked some questions about how to break down the larger documents and what went with what, and I had answers so they loved me.

And, now...NOW I can coast....
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Merkin wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Wolfman was a dick. First and I think still only person I've put on ignore. Maybe you're thinking about Itamic?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Puerco wrote:
Merkin wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Wolfman was a dick. First and I think still only person I've put on ignore. Maybe you're thinking about Itamic?
Puerco my man what's your plan for tonight. Will you nap before the games? Will you watch the earlier (ha, midnight start) games? Will you stay up straight throughout??
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

It's game day, Beardown!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Me too!
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

So stoked! I'm a useless blob at work.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote: Me too!
Book doesn't really look committed to that break.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

WildHolcs wrote:Some of these stories and emotions have me rolling, so relatable. I mean zona bball was one of the deciding decisions on why I chose to go to UA. The casual fan thing I totally get, and is why I turned down an invite for tomorrows game to go watch with some alumni/friends - just a mixed group of girls/guys who I know don't follow as close as I do and would rather be drinking/socializing... Hell no for me. Rather watch alone, get fired up, yell at the TV, jump around like a spaz and not have to pretend talk to anyone.
It's crazy anytime I hear something like this. I had a classmate from Pennsylvania who came out here on his own, no friends, no family ties. He played a little basketball in HS and was a huge college hoops fan. I asked what made him come out here if he knew no one - his response, the warm weather and our basketball program. So I paused, thinking, ok is this dude a practice player? So I asked if he was, or if he tried to walk on. Nope. Pretty much said he wanted to attend a university that had an elite basketball program, just so he could feel what it was like to go to a Duke, or a Kentucky, or an Arizona. He wasn't admitted to Duke and I believe UNC, and he picked us over Kansas, Kentucky, and someone else. Blew my mind, but made me realize how lucky we are here.

Then I think back to being in Provo, Utah, visiting family friends in the summer of 97. My dad and I walked into a baseball card shop and the shop owner's son (mid-20s) immediately asked if I was an Arizona fan after seeing my shirt. Explained that we were from Tucson, etc. Guy was acting like we knew John Stockton, kept going on and on about how great our run was and how almost everyone he knew was rooting for us, asking if we went to games, what the feeling was like when we won, etc. His dad comes out of the back area after a while and is also acting like meeting real wildcats fans is the greatest thing ever. He actually knew quite a bit about our program, was recalling quite a few of our past players and not just the Stoudamires and Elliotts, and he said how big of a Lute Olson fan he was. Of course, they were diehard Utah fans living in the middle of BYU territory and we know what happened months later. I'm sure they both shot a decade's worth of sperm all over their living room while we were in shock.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Arizona self-selects basketball fans over football. The tradition builds, but here's what I think most demonstrates it.

If a coach can say: "I'm consistently above .500 in the regular season."

That coach has a shot at having the best win % in modern Arizona football history. If that coach is a basketball coach, he is probably the worst coach in modern Arizona basketball history.

Individual people have their individual interests, but Arizona basketball spends almost every year competing at levels Arizona football might have reached once or twice in the history of the program.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I've never held on to an AZ football loss for more than an hour.

I'm still not over that Illinois game...
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Alieberman wrote:I've never held on to an AZ football loss for more than an hour.

Same here for the most part. The only FB game I remember that bothered me until the next day was the home game against Oregon, where the fans were ready to rush the field, and Stoops decided to play prevent defense the whole 4th quarter.

Like Lou Holtz used to say, the prevent defense only prevents victories.

And it did. Never did understand why you would change something that has been working all game.

Regarding basketball, the 1972 Olympic gold game between the US and the USSR bothered me for at least 40 years.
Last edited by Merkin on Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Lofty wrote:
BearDown89 wrote:I didn't realize we were all insane. We're not insane. Are we?

Great descriptive post. Perhaps BD, you work downtown over by the only new BWW I know in the VAlley? I work downtown too. Over at 10th and Jefferson.
8th and Main Lofty. We're mere blocks from each other. Walking over to the Y now to get a workout in before tonight's slate. If you see a guy in an AZ cap walk by your office - that's me. Let's get some wings and a beer after work sometime soon . . .
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I love and loathe gamedays during the tournament.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Alieberman wrote:I've never held on to an AZ football loss for more than an hour.

I feel like we need a Final Four to begin to exorcise the Illini demons.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:

Same here for the most part. The only FB game I remember that bothered me until the next day was the home game against Oregon, where the fans were ready to rush the field, and Stoops decided to play prevent defense the whole 4th quarter.

Like Lou Holtz used to say, the prevent defense only prevents victories.

And it did. Never did understand why you would change something that has been working all game.

Regarding basketball, the 1972 Olympic gold game between the US and the USSR bothered me for at least 40 years.
The Utah bowl game still bothers me a bit.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

God dammit... Just spent the last hour attempting to nap... Not because I'm even close to being tired, but because I want to be a little less of a zombie tomorrow... How do you guys think it's working out for me?
Bangkok Wildcat

dcZONAfan wrote:I have to try to take a nap from 9 pm to midnight, since I will want to watch all the games. I will then have to try to go to sleep for a few hours at around 6 am after our game finishes so I can at least pretend to be productive tomorrow.

BRUTAL.

BUT BTFD
Yeah, but you're still pretty young so......just kidding DC....hang in there Dude! BTFD :-). Asta Senor DC.

I used a couple of shots of Scotch and a sleeping pill.....good news is that I woke up at all, lol.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:I have to try to take a nap from 9 pm to midnight, since I will want to watch all the games. I will then have to try to go to sleep for a few hours at around 6 am after our game finishes so I can at least pretend to be productive tomorrow.

BRUTAL.

BUT BTFD
Yeah, but you're still pretty young so......just kidding DC....hang in there Dude! BTFD :-). Asta Senor DC.

I used a couple of shots of Scotch and a sleeping pill.....good news is that I woke up at all, lol.
What time is it for you right now? You probably get like a noon game, don't you
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

9 am tip for bangkok there.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I'm all in for all of it...

Still am softly yelling "nooooooooooooo" from Anu not throwing the ball away in the Fiesta Bowl.

I have had less big game opportunities with football, but I can say I often enjoy football more because of the potential upside and limited downside, the true "underdog" position. I enjoy the game of basketball more, but the drama of football more. Nothing in my live sports viewing has ever equaled Homecoming '92 over UW.

I also aged 100 years during the 7th - 9th inning of the loss to Coastal Carolina in CWS Championship series game 3.
Last edited by EVCat on Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Cute kid story as I pee my pants waiting for the game.

It's 2001, and Arenas is lighting up some team, draining shot after shot. I yell at TV, "Gil is on fire!"

Four-year-old son looks up at screen horrified.
Last edited by gumby on Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Right where I want to be.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

rgdeuce wrote:
WildHolcs wrote:Some of these stories and emotions have me rolling, so relatable. I mean zona bball was one of the deciding decisions on why I chose to go to UA. The casual fan thing I totally get, and is why I turned down an invite for tomorrows game to go watch with some alumni/friends - just a mixed group of girls/guys who I know don't follow as close as I do and would rather be drinking/socializing... Hell no for me. Rather watch alone, get fired up, yell at the TV, jump around like a spaz and not have to pretend talk to anyone.
It's crazy anytime I hear something like this. I had a classmate from Pennsylvania who came out here on his own, no friends, no family ties. He played a little basketball in HS and was a huge college hoops fan. I asked what made him come out here if he knew no one - his response, the warm weather and our basketball program. So I paused, thinking, ok is this dude a practice player? So I asked if he was, or if he tried to walk on. Nope. Pretty much said he wanted to attend a university that had an elite basketball program, just so he could feel what it was like to go to a Duke, or a Kentucky, or an Arizona. He wasn't admitted to Duke and I believe UNC, and he picked us over Kansas, Kentucky, and someone else. Blew my mind, but made me realize how lucky we are here.

Then I think back to being in Provo, Utah, visiting family friends in the summer of 97. My dad and I walked into a baseball card shop and the shop owner's son (mid-20s) immediately asked if I was an Arizona fan after seeing my shirt. Explained that we were from Tucson, etc. Guy was acting like we knew John Stockton, kept going on and on about how great our run was and how almost everyone he knew was rooting for us, asking if we went to games, what the feeling was like when we won, etc. His dad comes out of the back area after a while and is also acting like meeting real wildcats fans is the greatest thing ever. He actually knew quite a bit about our program, was recalling quite a few of our past players and not just the Stoudamires and Elliotts, and he said how big of a Lute Olson fan he was. Of course, they were diehard Utah fans living in the middle of BYU territory and we know what happened months later. I'm sure they both shot a decade's worth of sperm all over their living room while we were in shock.
My college roommate was from Wisconsin and it was the same thing. He wanted to go somewhere with a big time program. It was 1989, and he narrowed his choices to Florida State (football) or UA (basketball). He turned down offers to play D2/3 baseball in the U Wisconsin system. He briefly tried to walk on to the baseball team, but that was a joke...they didn't really look at him. So he became an absolute beast in CF for our intramural teams...
rl2013

Post by rl2013 »

Oh god, one of my casual arizona fan friends just asked where I'm watching the game tonight. Save me.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

gumby wrote:Cute kid story as I pee my pants waiting for the game.

It's 2001, and Arenas is lighting up some team, draining shot after shot. I yell at TV, "Gil is on fire!"

Four-year-old son looks up at screen horrified.
:lol:
rl2013 wrote:Oh god, one of my casual arizona fan friends just asked where I'm watching the game tonight. Save me.
Arcadia Tavern?
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Holy shit. Home alone. Buddy/neighbor just showed up at the door with his gf and two little kids. I looked at him like WTF? He says, no kids or women around? Nope. The dogs were going off and he asks, when to the Cats tip? Any minute now. Him: Got it I'm out.

Whew. Dodged a bullet there. You gotta be fucking kidding me.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

What a fucking waste. I dont think ive ever been so disappointed in an Arizona team in my life.