let's talk '17

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

NYCat

Re: let's talk '17

Post by NYCat »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Does this mean he has offers from all of these schools? If so, I guess he's still regarded as an asset.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

He can come to Arizona as long as he's committed to being a practice body on the scout team.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:Does this mean he has offers from all of these schools? If so, I guess he's still regarded as an asset.
At this point, we don't need him as a starter, but as a rotation guy who is in the mix. I like him in that role. If we need him as a guaranteed starter, I worry more.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Does this mean he has offers from all of these schools? If so, I guess he's still regarded as an asset.
At this point, we don't need him as a starter, but as a rotation guy who is in the mix. I like him in that role. If we need him as a guaranteed starter, I worry more.
I just can't imagine why we would.
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

Jeter would be a good fit with a year in the system after Ayton and Ristic leave for 2018-19.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
We're talking two years from now anyways and Jeter is probably better than any 2018 post we could recruit honestly outside of maybe Bol Bol. Jeter/Comanche in the post in two years works just fine.

I wouldn't look at what he's done at Duke as a statement of the quality of player he is, Duke was just an awful awful choice for him.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

NYCat wrote:

Guess he realized that the east coast sucks.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
We're talking two years from now anyways and Jeter is probably better than any 2018 post we could recruit honestly outside of maybe Bol Bol. Jeter/Comanche in the post in two years works just fine.

I wouldn't look at what he's done at Duke as a statement of the quality of player he is, Duke was just an awful awful choice for him.
2019 is also looking rough, there's hardly any west coast kids ranked in the top 30. It's amazing how bad that year is.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Arizona recruits New York City and Finland. What's coming next out of Finland?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Longhorned wrote:Arizona recruits New York City and Finland. What's coming next out of Finland?
Free healthcare and college?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Might need to Chase Jeter.
Right where I want to be.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

With Lo Romar coming aboard I see Duval and Bowen getting a little warmer. Bowen's end-of-day reality will and should be who goes/stays from our current squad. I'd think Duval's reality should be a combo of his hard assessment of which team will go furthest next year, and who can develop him best in one year. I hope he appreciates the potential of the Miller/Romar dynamic duo on the development subject.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

EOCT wrote:With Lo Romar coming aboard I see Duval and Bowen getting a little warmer. Bowen's end-of-day reality will and should be who goes/stays from our current squad. I'd think Duval's reality should be a combo of his hard assessment of which team will go furthest next year, and who can develop him best in one year. I hope he appreciates the potential of the Miller/Romar dynamic duo on the development subject.
Duval has PJC ahead of him at AZ and Frank Jackson ahead of him at Duke. I don't know if Duval is so good that his starting from day one is a foregone conclusion, but it's hard to see Duval starting ahead of a senior PJC, a junior Trier, and/or a sophomore Alkins.
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

Beachcat97 wrote:
EOCT wrote:With Lo Romar coming aboard I see Duval and Bowen getting a little warmer. Bowen's end-of-day reality will and should be who goes/stays from our current squad. I'd think Duval's reality should be a combo of his hard assessment of which team will go furthest next year, and who can develop him best in one year. I hope he appreciates the potential of the Miller/Romar dynamic duo on the development subject.
Duval has PJC ahead of him at AZ and Frank Jackson ahead of him at Duke. I don't know if Duval is so good that his starting from day one is a foregone conclusion, but it's hard to see Duval starting ahead of a senior PJC, a junior Trier, and/or a sophomore Alkins.
Duval is 7th in the DraftExpress 2018 Mock Draft, he's starting over PJC.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2018/" target="_blank
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Duval isn't sitting behind anyone.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

NYCat wrote:Duval isn't sitting behind anyone.
Interesting. So do we want a one-and-done guy to come in and take minutes from guys who know our system better and are coming off of good seasons? I'm thinking mainly of PJC and RA. This sounds a lot like Josiah to me.
SirClinks

Post by SirClinks »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Interesting. So do we want a one-and-done guy to come in and take minutes from guys who know our system better and are coming off of good seasons? I'm thinking mainly of PJC and RA. This sounds a lot like Josiah to me.
What? PJC is better as a backup anyway. Why would Duval take minutes away from Rawle?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Yeah. Jeter needs to develop, but he has a full year to sit and develop and we get him as a 4th year junior and 5th year senior. I'm not saying he's a dominator, but he can be a solid veteran piece with 5 years at a high level of competition.

Duke recruited over him with guys like Bolden and Giles. I'm sort of surprised he didn't bail this last offseason. The writing was sort of on the wall that he would have a declining role adding those two to Jefferson.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Duval is way better than Josiah. Duval is a stronger Dennis Smith Jr.

I'm not sure PJC is coming off a good season either. I think he's coming off a standard PJC season, where he shows flashes, but you eventually realize you want more than flashes.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Dear me.

Why can't it sound like Bibby? We had guards who knew the system better than him. If you can do better than Parker, do it. If Parker beats him out because he knows the system better, so be it.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Dear me.

Why can't it sound like Bibby? We had guards who knew the system better than him. If you can do better than Parker, do it. If Parker beats him out because he knows the system better, so be it.
Parker would not beat out Duval. Play alongside, share some minutes with, maybe. Duval is the Ball, Fultz, Smith equivalent in 2017. He isn't sitting for the same reasons Lonzo got the keys to the program he showed up.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
aaaannnddd, we're off....
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EVCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Yeah, it's sort of like complaining that Ayton might take minutes from Dusan.
TheBlackLodge

Post by TheBlackLodge »

Beachcat97 wrote:This sounds a lot like Josiah to me.
Remind me why this message board cancer is allowed to post again?!
Formerly McLurvin
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
gumby wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Dear me.

Parker would not beat out Duval. Play alongside, share some minutes with, maybe. Duval is the Ball, Fultz, Smith equivalent in 2017. He isn't sitting for the same reasons Lonzo got the keys to the program he showed up.
I wasn't making a prediction. I was making a point.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Beachcat97 wrote:So do we want a one-and-done guy to come in and take minutes from guys who know our system better and are coming off of good seasons? I'm thinking mainly of PJC and RA. This sounds a lot like Josiah to me.
YES

please let the failed experiment end
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
gumby wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Dear me.

I wasn't making a prediction. I was making a point.
No, I got the point. There just isn't a universe in which Duval is beaten out by PJC. Unless it's David Duval.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
EVCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Yeah, it's sort of like complaining that Ayton might take minutes from Dusan.
Welp he'll certainly take minutes from Comanche and that's good enough to make him another Grant Jerrett apparently.

Sorry...just pissed right now. :evil:
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Certainly seems like there's a good chance Chance is gone
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Holy cow, if a kid as talented as Duval wants to come, you send a plane to get him.

You do not say no to a guy that talented and Miller won't. PJC will get the amount of playing time he earns or lucks into due to injuries or fouls........that it.

There nothing more to it than that.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

My dream scenario at this point is a roster to look like this

Duval
Trier
Alkins
Ayton
Ristic

Comanche
PJC
Randolph
Lee
Barcello
Smith
Pinder

Redshirt- Jeter

But who am I kidding?
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

IndianaZonaFan wrote:My dream scenario at this point is a roster to look like this

Duval
Trier
Alkins
Ayton
Ristic

Comanche
PJC
Randolph
Lee
Barcello
Smith
Pinder

Redshirt- Jeter

But who am I kidding?

Honestly, you probably have a about a 70% chance of that happening.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Gladiator Cat wrote:
IndianaZonaFan wrote:My dream scenario at this point is a roster to look like this

Duval
Trier
Alkins
Ayton
Ristic

Comanche
PJC
Randolph
Lee
Barcello
Smith
Pinder

Redshirt- Jeter

But who am I kidding?

Honestly, you probably have a about a 70% chance of that happening.
Seams a little too optimistic to me
Jwsisliving

Post by Jwsisliving »

Looks like you can probably cross Comanche off that list :(
Jwsisliving

Post by Jwsisliving »

TheBlackLodge wrote:
Wasn't he supposed to be banned?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Jwsisliving wrote:
TheBlackLodge wrote:
Wasn't he supposed to be banned?
Just until the end of the season he was.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Duval is way better than Josiah. Duval is a stronger Dennis Smith Jr.

I'm not sure PJC is coming off a good season either. I think he's coming off a standard PJC season, where he shows flashes, but you eventually realize you want more than flashes.
I didn't realize Duval was as good as most are claiming. If that's the case, then, yeah, I guess PJC would be sitting next year.

My Josiah comment was merely pointing out that he, too, was a very highly rated PG, and I remember being ecstatic that he chose AZ.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Duval isn't coming here anyway.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:Duval isn't coming here anyway.
Yeah, it's definitely a long, long shot. Duval is the type of talent that if he was interested, you'd be willing to throw Alex Barcello off Hoover Dam to free up a scholarship.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Yeah, it's definitely a long, long shot. Duval is the type of talent that if he was interested, you'd be willing to throw Alex Barcello off Hoover Dam to free up a scholarship.
If I'm reading this right, there's insider knowledge that Alex "Alessandro" Barcello swims with the fishes.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

3. ARIZONA

Commits: PF DeAndre Ayton (No. 2), SG Brandon Randolph (No. 53), PF Ira Lee (No. 59), PG Alex Barcello (No. 105).

Overview: Sean Miller and his staff have landed the second ranked playerr in the class in Ayton. The seven-footer is a polished offensive player who should be ready to go the moment he steps foot in Tucson. Randolph is a long and rangy shooter who can fill it up from deep and has plenty of room to expand his game. Lee is a high energy insider who rebounds and runs the floor and in Barcello, they have a tough as nails sharp shooter who can run the point or play off the ball.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com ... ngs-update" target="_blank
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Obviously AZ would move up if Duval or Bowen commits.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Longhorned wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
If I'm reading this right, there's insider knowledge that Alex "Alessandro" Barcello swims with the fishes.
I don't really think one affects the other. The numbers would be done and other fat trimmed if additional spots were needed, and Barcello is not in the way of Duval in any real way.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EVCat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I don't really think one affects the other. The numbers would be done and other fat trimmed if additional spots were needed, and Barcello is not in the way of Duval in any real way.
I meant it in the way that Duval's talent level is that of a guy who, if he wants to come to Arizona, the program will make room for him by any means necessary. Some guys fill room that already exists, some you create room for, regardless of what it takes.

Duval is a "whatever it takes" guy.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Like Justice Winslow, Chase Jeter, Derryck Thornton it's hard to turn down the allure of Coach K & Duke. Duke will also be talented

Duval
Jackson
Trent Jr
Carter
Bolden

Possibly also
Knox
Bamba

If Allen comes back that might affect Duvsl. Plus Duval will play in a more open offense. With Arizona, they usually have 3-5 of the best talent on the floor (most of the time), yet they don't play like they do.

There's a reason elite PGs don't want to come to Arizona and run this offense. Not very fun.

But if Duval does want to come here, there's going to be room for him. He's too talented.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

6'9.5 wingspan
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

NYCat wrote:6'9.5 wingspan
Bamba

IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

the real dill wrote:
NYCat wrote:6'9.5 wingspan
Bamba

He only needs a 4 inch vertical to dunk...
Jwsisliving

Post by Jwsisliving »

NYCat wrote:Plus Duval will play in a more open offense. With Arizona, they usually have 3-5 of the best talent on the floor (most of the time), yet they don't play like they do.

There's a reason elite PGs don't want to come to Arizona and run this offense. Not very fun.
can we keep this to recruiting info and leave your disdain for Arizona out of it.