Kobi Simmons

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

rgdeuce

Re: Kobi Simmons

Post by rgdeuce »

Hank of sb wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:Kobi just has to go in and do his job for the brief periods hes in. At this point, his PT has been so limited he is not on the same heartbeat with the core guys. Makes it really tough for him to even be places in situations to even get more than a few decent shots off
I'm guessing Kobi's brain works differently (better) when he gets the minutes he had beforehand. It's too bad it worked out this way for him... and the team.

He'll get drafted.

The draft thing might work out for him.

As for working out for Arizona......less so.
Well it all makes sense if you take a step back and look big picture. Kobi was part of a three-headed monster that carried this team. He was inconsistent during that period, outstanding one night, the next night he was 2-9. Trier comes back, and Rawle and Kobi both know that means their minutes take a hit, but one of them is taking a huge hit. We now know that Rawle is a special type of cold blooded personality. He can shake the reduction and forget a night where he was off, or when he only got 16 minutes. Cant knock Kobi for not having it, it is a special trait.

So Kobi, already being an inconsistent player without superman resolve, has a couple off nights in a row. It gets in his head. He panics, thinking, "Trier is back, if I dont get this sorted out right now Im never going to play." With limited minutes, he has less opportunity to shake the rust and in his mind, show CSM that he deserves more floor time. So he forces jumpers, he forces with his dribble, he presses. He is now in a slump he cant shake on top of having no confidence, not enough floor time to get into a rhythm, AND trying to do something amazing to get even close to the minutes he once had. On top of that, Kobi's game was largely predicated on ISO/one on one. When we had no flow to the offense and only two other real weapons, Kobi could be Kobi. Often times we struggled to find a good look or burned most of the shot clock and needed to really on a miracle = ball would swing out to Kobi and he sizes up, jab steps, puts the ball on the floor and goes, or puts the ball on the floor and pulls up/does a stepback. Little time to think, just go. He is most effective when he dominates the ball. Trier comes in, the ultimate ball dominator, and now our offense actually has flow. Rawle's offensive game was more complete and he adapted. Kobi didn't. He has not learned how to be great without holding the ball for extended periods or dribbling the air out of it. Think back to when Lebron first came to Miami. Dwyane Wade was a ball dominator. The king of ball domination, Lebron (Trier) comes in. The heat struggled, and D Wade himself struggled. The Heat and D Wade himself did not right the ship until he adjusted and learned how to play without the ball in his hands all the time.

Add the sum of all the parts and Kobi's struggles are perfectly clear and outside of some sort of divine intervention, we are not going to see the old Kobi the rest of the year. You cant expect a baseball player to break out of a 2 for 38 slump by pinch hitting him once every couple games, nor expect him to come through in a pinch-hitting opportunity in the World Series. You cant expect a wide receiver who is in the middle of a "drop everything" slump to only come in as a decoy on 4 receiver formations and make the big catch on a bomb with time expiring in the NFC title game. The only thing that throws me off in all this is his defense. Miller says he isnt being pouty and a shitty teammate. You trust Miller in general, and seeing Kobi on the bench being a good teammate makes it believable. On the floor though, he is out of it mentally AND the EFFORT is just not there. That is what is weird.
baconus66

Post by baconus66 »

Is it just me or is it kinda petty to not give Kobi a press conference?

Everybody knew the deal when he came and it doesn't look great to be salty about it.

I's like when you have a verbally agreed upon open relaitonship and you get mad when she sleeps with someone. If you don't like it you shouldn't have gotten yourself into it in the first place.

Whether or not its the right move or whatever it's not like Kobi wasn't transparent about it.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Has he earned a press conference?

What Miller going to say? "I have high hopes for an inconsistent combo guard that doesn't play d."?
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

do you "earn" a press conference?

Either it is newsworthy...or it isn't. That is the standard to bear for whether a press conference should exist. Not a reward. Does the press want to cover it? Is it easier to hold a conference rather than take 10 calls in the SID? Then hold the conference.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

baconus66 wrote:Is it just me or is it kinda petty to not give Kobi a press conference?

Everybody knew the deal when he came and it doesn't look great to be salty about it.

I's like when you have a verbally agreed upon open relaitonship and you get mad when she sleeps with someone. If you don't like it you shouldn't have gotten yourself into it in the first place.

Whether or not its the right move or whatever it's not like Kobi wasn't transparent about it.
For me, it depends on whether Kobi had an interest. If the reports that he had physically checked out are true, did he have any interest?

If he was interested and Miller shot it down, yeah, it might be petty.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

If he already left school and is back home, why waste all the time and effort going back to Tucson?
baconus66

Post by baconus66 »

If he already left, then why not have it before he left? If he didn't want it then that's fine. I just saw a lot on twitter from the local media guys that were implying the lack of a press conference was used as a slight.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

If he stopped attending classes then I wouldn't blame Miller.

UA has had plenty of early entry players who finished out the term.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Merkin wrote:If he stopped attending classes then I wouldn't blame Miller.

UA has had plenty of early entry players who finished out the term.
Read my mind.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

If I was Kobi, I'd have shied away from a press conference. It's not like he can talk about his awesome potential draft position or what a key player he was down the stretch.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:If I was Kobi, I'd have shied away from a press conference. It's not like he can talk about his awesome potential draft position or what a key player he was down the stretch.
What I always wonder about is how much transparency there was. Like, did Kobi basically tell CSM from day one, "I'm here for a year then I'm out"? Is that how these things go? With guys like AG and SJ, there's nothing that needs to be said: it's obvious that they're going to be top 10 picks. But Kobi is not a lottery pick. He's probably not even a first-rounder. So yeah, there's no need for a freaking press conference to announce to the world your intentions to leave behind your AZ scholarship for life in the NBADL.
baconus66

Post by baconus66 »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Chicat wrote:If I was Kobi, I'd have shied away from a press conference. It's not like he can talk about his awesome potential draft position or what a key player he was down the stretch.
What I always wonder about is how much transparency there was. Like, did Kobi basically tell CSM from day one, "I'm here for a year then I'm out"? Is that how these things go? With guys like AG and SJ, there's nothing that needs to be said: it's obvious that they're going to be top 10 picks. But Kobi is not a lottery pick. He's probably not even a first-rounder. So yeah, there's no need for a freaking press conference to announce to the world your intentions to leave behind your AZ scholarship for life in the NBADL.
It certainly seems that this is the case.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

I would love Kobi and chance to stay but I'm selfish. I have to keep reminding myself around this time every year that this is the new normal in college basketball and I need to get used to it. It definitely has not got any easier each year. it will not get any better with the new NBA contracts and extended rosters.
CatMG

Post by CatMG »

Frybry02 wrote:I would love Kobi and chance to stay but I'm selfish. I have to keep reminding myself around this time every year that this is the new normal in college basketball and I need to get used to it. It definitely has not got any easier each year. it will not get any better with the new NBA contracts and extended rosters.
Is it really the new normal for players who don't start on a college team to declare for the draft after a freshman season? If Sean is ever going to make it to a Final Four with the Cats, some luck with players staying may be required.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Kobi is projected to be second round, probably at best. No guaranteed money.

Seems like he could raise his profile and really cash in with another year.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

wyo-cat wrote:Kobi is projected to be second round, probably at best. No guaranteed money.

Seems like he could raise his profile and really cash in with another year.
Another year somewhere else, maybe. Right now, we have McD's AA's waiting to see if they should come here because we have so many people who play that position. If he comes back here, he just loses another year of his life. If he could transfer to another school immediately, coming back (if he had any interest in staying eligible) would make sense. But next year stands to be more of a logjam for PT than this year.

If the wheels don't come off the early entry bus (Chance comes back, Trier comes back), next year is like 2014 and 2015...we are a favorite.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

6th one and done player?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Thing is, come November, Kobe very easily could be 6th man and get 25 minutes a night. He wouldn't start over Trier, guaranteed, but the gap between he and Alkins when both are "right" isn't that big, if there is one at all. In fact, if Kobi played defense the way he is capable, one would have a very solid argument for him to start because of our lack of a great perimeter defender. Our defense next year looks to be our early glaring weakness. And while I wouldn't trust Kobi to run the show, if we don't bring in a point guard, he would probably get quite a few minutes at point when PJC was resting/in foul trouble and be given a fair chance at earning more in that role.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

rgdeuce wrote:Thing is, come November, Kobe very easily could be 6th man and get 25 minutes a night. He wouldn't start over Trier, guaranteed, but the gap between he and Alkins when both are "right" isn't that big, if there is one at all. In fact, if Kobi played defense the way he is capable, one would have a very solid argument for him to start because of our lack of a great perimeter defender. Our defense next year looks to be our early glaring weakness. And while I wouldn't trust Kobi to run the show, if we don't bring in a point guard, he would probably get quite a few minutes at point when PJC was resting/in foul trouble and be given a fair chance at earning more in that role.
Added to this, I would happily have a Sophomore Kobi over any Freshman playing his same position.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:Thing is, come November, Kobe very easily could be 6th man and get 25 minutes a night. He wouldn't start over Trier, guaranteed, but the gap between he and Alkins when both are "right" isn't that big, if there is one at all. In fact, if Kobi played defense the way he is capable, one would have a very solid argument for him to start because of our lack of a great perimeter defender. Our defense next year looks to be our early glaring weakness. And while I wouldn't trust Kobi to run the show, if we don't bring in a point guard, he would probably get quite a few minutes at point when PJC was resting/in foul trouble and be given a fair chance at earning more in that role.
Added to this, I would happily have a Sophomore Kobi over any Freshman playing his same position.
I thought your line-up with Kobi, before Trier became eligible, was better.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

The Suns have picks at No. 4, 32 and 54.

Kobi Simmons works out for Suns

Bruce Pascoe Arizona Daily Star May 29, 2017 Updated 13 hrs ago

After a workout for the Suns on Monday, Arizona guard Kobi Simmons kept looking forward Monday – to his professional life and to playing point guard.

“I was relying on another player and now I’m taking the ball down the court and the team is relying on me,” Simmons told reporters after the workout, according to audio provided by the Suns. “So it’s being a vocal leader and showing what I can do on the pick and roll, and the intensity I show on the court.”

Simmons said he received “great feedback” after playing the point at the NBA Combine, and has spent the predraft process showcasing himself there. He’s projected as the No. 58 pick according to Draft Express, though when asked if he ever wonders “what if?” (he isn’t drafted), Simmons didn’t go there.

“Nah, I don’t even think about it,” Simmons said. “I’m locked and loaded. Right now, I’ve just gotta focus on me grinding it, raising my stock every day and looking forward to my next goal.”

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... 388be.html" target="_blank
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

enfuego wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
I thought your line-up with Kobi, before Trier became eligible, was better.
Bill Walton on oxycontin was the only person who agreed with this, but even he saw the light during the conference tournament.
drallafi

Post by drallafi »

Welp.... good luck kid.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Europe is nice this time of year.
Bangkok Wildcat

CalStateTempe wrote:Europe is nice this time of year.
What a shame...if he had even a bit more of Kadeem's patience, he could have been drafted.....What might have been in 2019 or even 2018 Draft?

What a waste of talent and a silly decision to jump too early IMHO......even IF he ever makes it to the NBA, I'll be much more interested in the Kadeem's, Channing Fryes, etc to follow.

Good luck 'kid'.....you were a good teammate so I'll give you credit for that but so disappointing to see you so desperate to leave a great program like ours and arguably the best way to develop yourself for the NBA.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

For guys like Kobi I wish the one and done rule would go away. It would've been better for him to just have gone to Europe a year ago.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

CalStateTempe wrote:Europe is nice this time of year.
Personally, I love Eastern European women, so Latvia in June seems like paradise. I don't know Kobi's tastes though.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

The weather just got hot over here. It's amazing to see how the ladies' apparel changes. Much more drastic shift than anywhere else I've been.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Bangkok Wildcat

ASUHATER! wrote:For guys like Kobi I wish the one and done rule would go away. It would've been better for him to just have gone to Europe a year ago.
Agreed....and also adopt the Baseball model of if you go to college you're committed for 3 years. I would easily accept the slight talent-loss for the rewards of better team cohesion, less wear and tear on the coaches, and being able to enjoy these young men progress in their skill sets from year to year without the annual paranoia of 'Who's staying, Who's going?'

I'd bet you that Chance, knowing he'd have to get his academics in order to play, would have had a better outcome and actually might have been drafted next year or the year after.....would have been a better outcome for both sides.

Now, he may have pissed away his chance at the NBA....smh. I don't know how this new G League will work out but I'm pretty confident that another year under CSM and banging away against Dusan, Ayton and Pinder in practice would have been much better for his development vs whatever his future holds now.

Am I wrong?
Bangkok Wildcat

Puerco wrote:The weather just got hot over here. It's amazing to see how the ladies' apparel changes. Much more drastic shift than anywhere else I've been.
No longer in Singapore? Where are you now? There's no location info in your avatar.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Puerco wrote:The weather just got hot over here. It's amazing to see how the ladies' apparel changes. Much more drastic shift than anywhere else I've been.
Swiss girls are the best girls...I remember the change in seasons fondly.

You're one lucky dude Puerco.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
No longer in Singapore? Where are you now? There's no location info in your avatar.
See post above. It's been four years already. Man, time flies.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I wish they all could be California girls

rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I wouldn't rule out Kobi yet. If he matures and gets his head on straight, look out. Could be a good wake up call and humbling experience.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I dunno man, that 70s show is can't miss in syndication.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Still too early to know definitively what hes looking for, but thats a free agent deal, not a 2-way deal. Looks like he and his agent are hunting for a roster spot, or at least to get a feel of where he stands in the organization before considering a 2-way deal.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Unless he signs a 2 way deal he wont even get $75K. Lauri is getting a little over $4mil :shock: