Who's staying? Who's going?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

gumby

Re: Who's staying? Who's going?

Post by gumby »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
NYCat wrote:
I'm really starting to absolutely LOATHE the NBA.....even following Wildcats there is getting less fun for me.....Can't stand the OADs and the laborious / stressful "Who's Staying, Who's Going" crap each year.

Just hope that the NBA Players Union will pull it's head out of it's butt in my lifetime and implement something akin to NCAA Football and Baseball. I would gladly say adios to the highest level talent and see them off to the NBA straight from High School and cherish those who commit to Arizona instead.

Would make it a lot more fun to watch / follow as the players develop and the team would benefit greatly from more consistency in the rosters...as well as less burnout from the coaches. The current system sucks to high heaven for those of us who truly want to watch college basketball.....as it is now, Arizona Basketball feels more like a semi-pro development team for the NBA rather than a college team.....smh.
Couple days ago this was a "mundane" topic. But, yeah, what you said.
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:Why is everyone ripping chance? Lmao

There is zero chance anyone tells him anything but go back to Arizona. And i dont agree w the "he couldnt even beat out Dusan" thing, because he should have been starting over Dusan for quite a bit of the conference season.
Some people apparently turn on players pretty fast. He isn't even gone and the wolves are out.
Fans praise/hype their players, but as soon as those players declare, fans are the first to spotlight weaknesses of the very same players.

"What the hell is he thinking?"

If the player comes back: "We're gonna be awesome! Should be POY!"
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

There is zero chance anyone tells him anything but go back to Arizona. And i dont agree w the "he couldnt even beat out Dusan" thing, because he should have been starting over Dusan for quite a bit of the conference season.
Some people apparently turn on players pretty fast. He isn't even gone and the wolves are out.
Fans praise/hype their players, but as soon as those players declare, fans are the first to spotlight weaknesses of the very same players.

I think that's mostly just the small percentage of fans comprising those message board posting types.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Longhorned wrote:
gumby wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I think that's mostly just the small percentage of fans comprising those message board posting types.
The only true fans. :D
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Miller needs to be like Urban Meyer and assure Chance is the starting C next year, at least for the start of the year
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
gumby

Post by gumby »

Can Chance hike a football?
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

zonagrad wrote:
NYCat wrote:
Is the NBA hell bent on wrecking college basketball?

On another note, talented players needing much more seasoning would prefer to be paid $30,000/year and ride the bus to play in front of a crowd of hundreds in Rio Grande Valley rather than travel first class and play in packed arenas? I. Don't. Get. It.
It isnt about the NBA wrecking CBB, its about providing more opportunities for players to stay stateside and develop into the league.

Should have relayed my post from Scout here earlier:

Just an FYI for those wondering about the new two-way contracts the NBA established in the new CBA. We wont really know what type of players NBA teams target until we see at least this next draft, training camp, and season play out.

These contracts afford NBA teams two extra roster spots to send players up and down from the parent club to the G-League. However, if a player signs a two-way contract, and are sent down to the G-League, they then earn slightly over a G-League salary. In this case anywhere between $50,000 - $75,000 (pro-rated for time). When they are called up, they then earn their agreed upon salary.

However, there is a catch. If a player on a two-way contract spends more than 45 days on the NBA roster (via call up), the team has to either extend them a qualifying offer and make them apart of their 15-man roster or release them.

Doing the math, a two-way contract can earn up to about $275,000 per season (two year max, three years of league service and under only).
Chance could be someone a team drafts (or signs as a UDFA) to a two-way deal. However, the odds of him, or most of these guys, ever earning the $275,000 per season is pretty slim.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
NYCat wrote:
I'm really starting to absolutely LOATHE the NBA.....even following Wildcats there is getting less fun for me.....Can't stand the OADs and the laborious / stressful "Who's Staying, Who's Going" crap each year.

Just hope that the NBA Players Union will pull it's head out of it's butt in my lifetime and implement something akin to NCAA Football and Baseball. I would gladly say adios to the highest level talent and see them off to the NBA straight from High School and cherish those who commit to Arizona instead.

Would make it a lot more fun to watch / follow as the players develop and the team would benefit greatly from more consistency in the rosters...as well as less burnout from the coaches. The current system sucks to high heaven for those of us who truly want to watch college basketball.....as it is now, Arizona Basketball feels more like a semi-pro development team for the NBA rather than a college team.....smh.
Tell the NBAPA, they are the ones holding onto the current age rule (for now). The league has wanted it set at 2 years well before they had to settle on the one-and-done rule.

-Shane Battier
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

TucsonClip wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
NYCat wrote:

Tell the NBAPA, they are the ones holding onto the current age rule (for now). The league has wanted it set at 2 years well before they had to settle on the one-and-done rule.
yup...while Stern didn't much care, the new commish has been very clear that he wants a 2 and done deal, but it is a negotiation, and if the NBAPA doesn't want to do it, it won't happen and isn't worth major concessions by the NBA. The market is what it is, and our enjoyment is really not what the NBAPA is going to negotiate to.

The NCAA really cannot do much. They can't unlawfully restrict labor...that can only be collectively bargained by the player's union.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Is anyone going to class?
baconus66

Post by baconus66 »

I like the shirt choice. "Hey guys just in case you forgot I play basketball"
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

gumby wrote: Is anyone going to class?
The players who are not 100% certain they are going with an agent will maintain the GPA. Often times, in the spring semester, they are barely taking anything to begin with. Players make up a lot of room in the summer and fall and any other mini session/online opportunity. When you are travelling every other Wednesday night (or earlier) and not coming back until Sunday, you drop as low as you can legally go while maintaining eligibility. The Spring semester is absolutely crazy for a basketball player. You have to complete 24 units per academic year to maintain eligibility. The NCAA requires you be enrolled in 12 hours per semester, and you must pass 6 hours to be eligible the following semester, however you only have to have 18 of those hours be actual fall/spring. In other words, extra sessions are your friend. Your average has to be 12 per traditional semester, but you can enroll in 12, drop to 9 in the spring, hit summer and grab 6, etc. Most of our players are going to carry rather bare spring semester loads, take summer classes, and take a full time equivalent in the fall as the semester is almost over before the travel really hits.

24 hours - A student-athlete must complete a minimum of 24 semester hours of academic credit prior to the beginning of the second year of enrollment.
18 hours – A student-athlete must complete a minimum of 18 semester hours of academic credit during each regular academic year.
Six-hour – A student-athlete must complete a minimum of six-semester hours of academic credit in the previous full time regular academic term

40/60/80 – A student-athlete must meet the following progress toward degree requirements:
- Start of third year: 40 percent of degree completed
- Start of fourth year: 60 percent of degree completed
- Start of fifth year: 80 percent of degree completed

- 90/95/100 - A student athlete must achieve the following minimum GPA:
- Start of second year: 90 percent of GPA required for graduation
- Start of third year: 95 percent of GPA required for graduation
- Start of fourth year: 100 percent of GPA required for graduation
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EVCat wrote:
gumby wrote: Is anyone going to class?
The players who are not 100% certain they are going with an agent will maintain the GPA. Often times, in the spring semester, they are barely taking anything to begin with. Players make up a lot of room in the summer and fall and any other mini session/online opportunity. When you are travelling every other Wednesday night (or earlier) and not coming back until Sunday, you drop as low as you can legally go while maintaining eligibility. The Spring semester is absolutely crazy for a basketball player. You have to complete 24 units per academic year to maintain eligibility. The NCAA requires you be enrolled in 12 hours per semester, and you must pass 6 hours to be eligible the following semester, however you only have to have 18 of those hours be actual fall/spring. In other words, extra sessions are your friend. Your average has to be 12 per traditional semester, but you can enroll in 12, drop to 9 in the spring, hit summer and grab 6, etc. Most of our players are going to carry rather bare spring semester loads, take summer classes, and take a full time equivalent in the fall as the semester is almost over before the travel really hits.

24 hours - A student-athlete must complete a minimum of 24 semester hours of academic credit prior to the beginning of the second year of enrollment.
18 hours – A student-athlete must complete a minimum of 18 semester hours of academic credit during each regular academic year.
Six-hour – A student-athlete must complete a minimum of six-semester hours of academic credit in the previous full time regular academic term

40/60/80 – A student-athlete must meet the following progress toward degree requirements:
- Start of third year: 40 percent of degree completed
- Start of fourth year: 60 percent of degree completed
- Start of fifth year: 80 percent of degree completed

- 90/95/100 - A student athlete must achieve the following minimum GPA:
- Start of second year: 90 percent of GPA required for graduation
- Start of third year: 95 percent of GPA required for graduation
- Start of fourth year: 100 percent of GPA required for graduation
Plus, if you attend North Carolina, some classes are offered online and 100% of your class grade is based on a one page untimed essay explaining the plot of a book of your choice that you can submit as many times as necessary to get a satisfactory grade.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Well if Chance goes, puts a dent in the whole "Miller should go after lower rated players" argument.

If this is really about playing time (i dont think it is), its just another reason for me to pick on Ristic. In one of my post loss rants I was saying how i thought the team would be better off if Dusan parted ways to europe :/
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

rgdeuce wrote:Well if Chance goes, puts a dent in the whole "Miller should go after lower rated players" argument.
And how ridiculous is this Chance thing (and I am on record here as being pro-player movement) when really, all he has to do is beat out Dusan. Ayton isn't his competition. He can take half the minutes at the 5 or more, and 5 minutes at the 4, and play 25-30 minutes on a consensus top 5 team. Amazing.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I bet Chance comes back. He's going to get big minutes for a top 10 team and have a terrific chance to showcase what he's got. He'll have a good summer of training and practicing and have his best season at AZ next year.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Chance is better at rebounding and defense than any other big on the roster and can work on the touch in the paint. He has a good outside shot from 17 feet or so. So Miller and Romar, promise the starting job to him so he comes back. He and Arizona will be better for it and Dusan will still get his but it is fair
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EVCat wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:Well if Chance goes, puts a dent in the whole "Miller should go after lower rated players" argument.
And how ridiculous is this Chance thing (and I am on record here as being pro-player movement) when really, all he has to do is beat out Dusan. Ayton isn't his competition. He can take half the minutes at the 5 or more, and 5 minutes at the 4, and play 25-30 minutes on a consensus top 5 team. Amazing.
This is what I would not get if Chance bailed. I like him alongside Ayton better than Dusan alongside Ayton. Ayton is pretty athletic, but you want him around the rim to block shots and clean the glass. Alongside Dusan, he gets forced to the perimeter on D more because Dusan can't be effective like that.

Chance could easily take minutes from Dusan. He flashed a developing post game, and post scoring is all that Dusan really is better at than he is.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PHXCATS wrote:Chance is better at rebounding and defense than any other big on the roster
Comanche had 3.6 RPG and 0.4 BPG in 18 MPG.

Pinder had 2.9 RPG and 0.6 BPG in 6 less minutes per game.

Ristic had 5.5 RPG in 4 more minutes per game.

Chance will be another Channing Frye, nice face up game with a good shooting touch, but never a defensive stopper.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote:
Chance will be another Channing Frye, nice face up game with a good shooting touch, but never a defensive stopper.
Frye turned into a heck of a player by the time he was a junior/senior, so I'd be thrilled if CC becomes anywhere near as good as CF.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I am REALLY high on Chance and I would be kissing his feet and sucking his toes to stay. I'm sure I have annoyed everyone with my screaming about how he should be starting and getting more minutes than Dusan. He is an upgrade over Dusan as an individual on ball defender, he is a million times over an upgrade on pick and roll/pop and team defense, he is a better rebounder, he is more versatile in terms of being able to guard more types of 5s, and his movement on both ends allows for better flow and spacing on the offensive end, he isn't a black hole ball stopper, and he allows us to be better on the defensive end. If I had to guess though, Miller will be stubborn and start Dusan at the 5, so I see Chance's hesitation if he wants to start and get big minutes. I think Chance is the better player period and he obviously has the much higher ceiling. His offensive game is still young and developing, but I think as a junior he would be very reliable inside, plus add the fact that he is a nice weapon rolling /cutting to the basket and finishing.

Dusan is a black hole on the floor and with future roster development. Having a guy who is Kareem half the time and a liability the rest is not worth keeping him around IMO. I know Miller cant just give him the boot, but you are likely losing out on two guys (one for sure) who will be around two more years each just to have one more season of Dusan...
Last edited by rgdeuce on Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Totally agree on Dusan ^

Just saw this on the FB page...

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

That message might be about Kobi. I can't see how it would make any sense about himself. Arizona fans clearly don't take Trier for granted. Not by any stretch.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

That was my first thought as well. Im sure he received a lot of negativity after that Xavier game was over though
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Something else: Chance shot .571% from the field and 73% from the line. Dusan .556 and 76% from the line. Obviously Chance wasn't relied upon as much and took roughly half the shots, but next year's team isn't going to be hurting to find buckets from inside or outside with Ayton, Trier and Rawle and who else knows at this point. We don't need a high volume guy at 5, we just need a guy who can put the ball in the hoop when he is open.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Chance still has a lot of development to do, but I dont feel the same as you do rg.

-Shane Battier
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Interested to hear your take on it Clip.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

I know Chance had academic issues in the past and I read somewhere (maybe from ChooChoo?) that he hasn't been attending class.....from this I inferred he screwed himself academically if he was to return....am I wrong here?

I really hope so as I would love to see him test the waters BUT return in good academic standing...no way is he ready to go Pro yet and would suck to see him in the D-league or overseas.

Anyone in the know here? Damn, I hate this thread but can't help obsessing over it especially given our history and our 'snake bit' season last re Ray Smith, TFerg, injuries, suspension, etc...
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Drtg according to sports-reference:

Dusan Ristic: 99.7
Chance Comanche: 101.3
Lauri Markannen: 100.4
Keanu Pinder: 94.0 (led the team)

So, while my eyes agree with you, Deuce, the stats do not. To be fair, all three of our bigs were average defenders on a team of average defenders.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

You chumps are smoking crack. We need Dusan like a 13 year old kid from the 70's needs a Hustler magazine. To think less of what he's offered and given us says to me you lick a lot of windows. Dusan is a white mans Eugene Edgerson without the afro and beating anyone up.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

whatisee wrote:You chumps are smoking crack. We need Dusan like a 13 year old kid from the 70's needs a Hustler magazine. To think less of what he's offered and given us says to me you lick a lot of windows. Dusan is a white mans Eugene Edgerson without the afro and beating anyone up.
I'm really excited and hope we get the chance to see a 'Senior' Dusan. The guy has serious offensive game and seems like a really good teammate as well. These days, I giver overwhelming credit for length of time on the team....a 4 year Senior is very, very, very much appreciated. I feel much more connected and invested in their long-term success.

Dusan has represented himself and the University very well these past 3 years! Always looks like a cool guy in his interviews. BTFD Duse.

P.S. Funny, just realized Duse went to HS in Wichita...I've got family there too.....good people from there :-)
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

rgdeuce wrote:Interested to hear your take on it Clip.
Ill keep it somewhat short.

I dont think hes a very good defender. He has certain tools that can help him defensively. He moves well, is decently quick, has good length. However, he just cant put it all together. He looks a bit clumsy at times, which is more than likely due to him still growing into his body. Yes, hes better defensively than Ristic, but the two still have poor situation/spacial awareness on defense and neither bring it all the time. When Chance is dialed in mentally and able to process his rotations and see the action on the floor coming to him, is when we see that defensive potential we all like. However, that definitely comes and goes. I dont think hes a good rim protector considering his length and athleticism, I think hes an average rebounder, and while he got better showing on high ball screens, he was a mess rotating back.

Offensively, I was pretty surprised this year. He definitely has progressed on that end, but again, still clumsy with his footwork. He makes a nice move, but then his feet stop moving and his base is off balance and feet tangled. Dont have too many problems with him on offense, because I think he plays to his strengths, but I dont consider him a good defender.

Overall, I would much rather have him back than risk the unknown, but only if hes going to bring it. If hes gone mentally in November because he is only seeing 15 minutes per game, might be best to move on. I wouldnt have a huge problem with that, assuming we can land someone to fill his role this season. Thats the real issue as far as im concerned, not keeping him here for two more years.

-Shane Battier
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

TucsonClip wrote:

I dont think hes a very good defender. He has certain tools that can help him defensively. He moves well, is decently quick, has good length. However, he just cant put it all together. He looks a bit clumsy at times, which is more than likely due to him still growing into his body. Yes, hes better defensively than Ristic, but the two still have poor situation/spacial awareness on defense and neither bring it all the time. When Chance is dialed in mentally and able to process his rotations and see the action on the floor coming to him, is when we see that defensive potential we all like. However, that definitely comes and goes. I dont think hes a good rim protector considering his length and athleticism, I think hes an average rebounder, and while he got better showing on high ball screens, he was a mess rotating back.

Offensively, I was pretty surprised this year. He definitely has progressed on that end, but again, still clumsy with his footwork. He makes a nice move, but then his feet stop moving and his base is off balance and feet tangled. Dont have too many problems with him on offense, because I think he plays to his strengths, but I dont consider him a good defender.

Overall, I would much rather have him back than risk the unknown, but only if hes going to bring it. If hes gone mentally in November because he is only seeing 15 minutes per game, might be best to move on. I wouldnt have a huge problem with that, assuming we can land someone to fill his role this season. Thats the real issue as far as im concerned, not keeping him here for two more years.
This is spot on. I think CC kind of gets "over his skis" at times. I was impressed with his ability to catch and shoot but disappointed with his ability to finish at the rim, rebounding and certainly rim protection.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

TucsonClip wrote:

That's a game that translates even better to the NBA.
Jwsisliving

Post by Jwsisliving »

Dusan was an important contributor for us in the tourney. 17, 13, and 12 while shooting a good percentage is nothing to sneeze at. I've been down on him at times but there's also been plenty of times where he's been one of our most dependable scorers and low-post threats. When the perimeter shots aren't falling its nice to have someone you can throw it down to down low who can get you some baskets. I think we would've lost more than a handful of games if we didn't have him.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

The only reason where in the xavier game is because of dusan.

But then again every season needs a scapegoat.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Maybe if Dusan had the ability to play defense without fouling, he could have stayed on the court and kept up his offense.

Chance for all his gifts is a lowly rebounder (4th in DReb%) and rarely gets putbacks (also fourth on the team, behind Rawle). He's also the king of stupid fouls on defense - 5/40min.

Hopefully both continue to learn the game. Maybe Dusan picks up his agility some and maybe Chance puts down an extra 1,000k a day and grows an ass and a mean streak. We'll see.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jwsisliving wrote:Dusan was an important contributor for us in the tourney. 17, 13, and 12 while shooting a good percentage is nothing to sneeze at. I've been down on him at times but there's also been plenty of times where he's been one of our most dependable scorers and low-post threats. When the perimeter shots aren't falling its nice to have someone you can throw it down to down low who can get you some baskets. I think we would've lost more than a handful of games if we didn't have him.
That is the thing with Dusan. He is a good scorer and can consistently put up points. He is not a great passer, rebounder or defender.

If Dusan plays 20 years for us, he will always have that upside and downside.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

New DX list out.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2017/" target="_blank

Lauri still 7.

Kobi at 52.

No other Cats listed.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote:New DX list out.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2017/" target="_blank

Lauri still 7.

Kobi at 52.

No other Cats listed.
I think Trier's left out because it's presumed he's returning, right?

Still can't believe Kobi prefers iffy 2nd round status to another year at AZ.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97 wrote:
He apparently hates school and the college life, so if that's the case, playing bball all the time in the D league is probably a better choice for him.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I hate the college life, prime rib, and Sofia Vergara. Blech, blech, and blech.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
He apparently hates school and the college life, so if that's the case, playing bball all the time in the D league is probably a better choice for him.
Trier missed half the season. If we didn't have Kobi for those games, we'd have struggled. He's going to go down as a footnote in AZ history, but he did impact this season.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Longhorned wrote:I hate the college life, prime rib, and Sofia Vergara. Blech, blech, and blech.
Lol and puppies, virgin snow, and drawings from my toddler daughter
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Merkin wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Not when he realizes what it entails. Bus rides in and out of Grand Rapids in January sound great, dont they?

-Shane Battier
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Chance was still in California yesterday

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Trier missed half the season. If we didn't have Kobi for those games, we'd have struggled. He's going to go down as a footnote in AZ history, but he did impact this season.
Agreed. His role in providing the team with a legitimate starter at the 2 and 3 positions when the team's leading scorer was suspended cannot be overlooked. Without Kobi, this season would have taken a drastically different path. He is leaving the program prematurely, but that is his prerogative.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

NYCat wrote:Chance was still in California yesterday

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
So he's allergic to class too?