Who's staying? Who's going?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

McKale Midwest

Re: Who's staying? Who's going?

Post by McKale Midwest »

So it's settled, Trier and Alkins don't like each other and are both leaving.

Now we basically have no remaining wings. So we HAVE to go get Bowen and Cam Johnson. We would be pretty good if we added both of those guys, but not good enough to win it all IMO. If we added Duval/McCoy that might take change the narrative a bit.

Is this lineup good enough to win it all?
PJC
Bowen
Johnson
Ayton
Ristic
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Sure seems like he's gone

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:
McKale Midwest wrote:... Check Triers latest tweet. Sad day for Arizona fans.

Guess we need every person on the planet to make 3 twitter accounts, and retweet Zo so he Will come back.

20 BILLION?! Is Tuscon that unbearable?
I mean, if he's not joking he put such a high number so it wouldn't be reached. I'd bet a joke

Here's my idea:

Arizona needs to start a graduate program titled "Decoding, Then Overreacting to Athlete Tweets." First, it would allow a lot of us to obtain advanced degrees in what was previously just a hobby. Second, no other school offers it, so we could scoop up all the graduate transfers on the market.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

McKale Midwest wrote:So it's settled, Trier and Alkins don't like each other and are both leaving.

Now we basically have no remaining wings. So we HAVE to go get Bowen and Cam Johnson. We would be pretty good if we added both of those guys, but not good enough to win it all IMO. If we added Duval/McCoy that might take change the narrative a bit.

Is this lineup good enough to win it all?
PJC
Bowen
Johnson
Ayton
Ristic
Yep we're doomed, you should tweet about it.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Trier is such as dick.

Frankly he deserves the laughing emojis for how he fucked us in the tournament.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

This program's culture has a serious problem.
WildcatRx

Post by WildcatRx »

Hard to really get excited every year when there are 5 new faces on the floor every year, but such is life. Bring on the new season already!
"I do not like Miller"-- Machina
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

CalStateTempe wrote:Trier is such as dick.

And an overrated master of heroball.

Between RA and Trier, I would MUCH, MUCH rather see Alkins return. Not close.

See ya 'zo. Good luck in the D-League. And may your athleticism & skills someday catch up with your opinion of them.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Jesus Christ, wtf is wrong with you people? Why are you speculating over cryptic tweets fron teenagers? If you let someone's Twitter feed affect you emotionally you need to delete your account.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

Puerco wrote:Jesus Christ, wtf is wrong with you people? Why are you speculating over cryptic tweets fron teenagers? If you let someone's Twitter feed affect you emotionally you need to delete your account.
Trier is 21 years old. Hopefully that tweet wasnt directed at Rawle.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Noticed that Bowen isn't following Cam Johnson on Twitter, and vice-versa. We're not getting either.
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Wild emotional swings. Might be a symptom of something.
gumby

Post by gumby »

McKale Midwest wrote:Anybody reading into the fact that Trier tweeted out a bunch of "crying laughing" emoji's shortly after Rawle declared for the draft?

Is there a chemistry issue on this team that nobody is talking about? I've been kind of curious about this since about halfway through the year, when several members of the team posted pictures on Instagram, and the only 2 players missing were CC and RA. I assume that it is a commonality that most college teams have "cliques", but never to the point to where Trier can't even congratulate a teammate for making a decision to enter the NBA draft.
How would you have known players congratulated either other before Twitter? You wouldn't. You are right. Always been cliques. Always been guys who don't like each other. Always will be.

Is this worse than previous teams over the past 30-40 years? Is it indicative of a trend? No way to measure, unless they carved their dislike on tree trunks or something.

One solution would be to cap the number of 5 stars accepted into program to limit potential chemical explosions. If Miller did, then it would, "Miller has lost his recruiting mojo! What happened to our Top 5 recruiting classes? He's coasting into retirement!"
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

David Brooks hasn't tweeted since March 27.

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

gumby wrote:

No emotion. Just calling it like I see it. Trier is an arrogant person whose production for whatever reason was far below his and others perspectives of his production.

Would much much much rather have rawle return. Triers gonna make his decision at the last minute and we are gonna lose out on Bowen, even if trier ends up going to the league. And that's a "dick move". Just you watch.

It's not like there is anything in his "game" from this season that would say other wise. Trier looks out for his self first and foremost to the detriment of team. Fact.
Last edited by CalStateTempe on Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Longhorned wrote:David Brooks hasn't tweeted since March 27.

Hasn't been getting along with Maureen Dowd. Probably move to another paper.
If 9 months is awful, then two years would be unbearable. Come on, Player's Union! Do the right thing! Protect your current players like a union ought to. Raise the age limit!
gumby

Post by gumby »

CalStateTempe wrote:
gumby wrote:

No emotion. Just calling it like I see it. Trier is an arrogant person whose production for whatever reason was far below his and others perspectives of his production.

Would much much much rather have rawle return. Triers gonna make his decision at the last minute and we are gonna lose out on Bowen, even if trier ends up going to the league. And that's a "dick move". Just you watch.

It's not like there is anything in his "game" from this season that would say other wise. Trier looks out for his self first and foremost to the detriment of team. Fact.
My mistake. So you'll be bummed if he stays.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

This thread sucks like heroin.

Makes me depressed every time I read it and can't stop.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

So who really does put the team ahead of themselves? Don't think any coaches or players do.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Guess Romar doesn't need to Romar anyone if he comes in at AHC. So if Trier goes, that leaves 9 scholarship players either returning or signed?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:
gumby wrote:

Let's not go saying things we can't take back.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

PHXCATS wrote:So who really does put the team ahead of themselves? Don't think any coaches or players do.
This is true. Every has to have of self serving to get it this level and beyond. But everything is in a spectrum and there are levels where it becomes a detriment to "team".

I'd say jacking up ISO shot after ISO shot in lieu of passing to markenen for a higher percentage shot would fit that bill.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Opioid Crisis Linked to Transient Ballers

The Associated Press

A direct correlation between the rise in painkiller addictions and the number of college basketball players declaring for the NBA draft has been confirmed by researchers at the University of Arizona.

According to a paper published in the April edition of the Journal of the American Medical Association, Professor John Longhorned, who recently transferred to the UofA because of chemistry issues at his previous school, found that opioid addictions sky-rocketed in the spring.

"At first we suspected Easter, but soon realized that holiday has been around for years. So it had to be something fairly recent."

Longhorned noticed the spike in opioid use was particularly dramatic right after March Madness and leveled off in late May.

"That was our a-ha! moment", said Longhorned in an interview with JAMA.

"We published in JAMA, because it sounded like a basketball journal," he said, laughing -- by himself.

Longhorned's research team has reached out the NBA's Player's Union imploring it to raise the age limit, so that college basketball fans could wean themselves from the seasonal painkillers that have caused their addiction.

"We also have asked Twitter to shut down for a month each year. Those negotiations are ongoing."

More on this as it develops.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:So who really does put the team ahead of themselves? Don't think any coaches or players do.
This is true. Every has to have of self serving to get it this level and beyond. But everything is in a spectrum and there are levels where it becomes a detriment to "team".

I'd say jacking up ISO shot after ISO shot in lieu of passing to markenen for a higher percentage shot would fit that bill.
I could say though that Miller and Markenen were weak as well and Trier was strong when needed. Miller never demanded Lauri get the touches and Lauri didn't take then when he had the ball or demand the ball either.
gumby

Post by gumby »

"Every season needs a scapegoat." Saw that somewhere recently.
Pop McKale

Post by Pop McKale »

gumby wrote:Opioid Crisis Linked to Transient Ballers

The Associated Press

A direct correlation between the rise in painkiller addictions and the number of college basketball players declaring for the NBA draft has been confirmed by researchers at the University of Arizona.

According to a paper published in the April edition of the Journal of the American Medical Association, Professor John Longhorned, who recently transferred to the UofA because of chemistry issues at his previous school, found that opioid addictions sky-rocketed in the spring.

"At first we suspected Easter, but soon realized that holiday has been around for years. So it had to be something fairly recent."

Longhorned noticed the spike in opioid use was particularly dramatic right after March Madness and leveled off in late May.

"That was our a-ha! moment", said Longhorned in an interview with JAMA.

"We published in JAMA, because it sounded like a basketball journal," he said, laughing -- by himself.

Longhorned's research team has reached out the NBA's Player's Union imploring it to raise the age limit, so that college basketball fans could wean themselves from the seasonal painkillers that have caused their addiction.

"We also have asked Twitter to shut down for a month each year. Those negotiations are ongoing."

More on this as it develops.
You know, you keep your nose clean and you could be a writer someday.

Thanks for this. I LOL'd.
SirClinks

Post by SirClinks »

God damn this place gets rough. Some of you guys turn on players so fast when nothing has even been decided!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:

I could say though that Miller and Markenen were weak as well and Trier was strong when needed. Miller never demanded Lauri get the touches and Lauri didn't take then when he had the ball or demand the ball either.
Allonzo has a Michael Jordan mentality. Lauri has a Scottie Pippen mentality. There are pros and cons to both.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

SirClinks wrote:God damn this place gets rough. Some of you guys turn on players so fast when nothing has even been decided!
To be fair I only have an issue with the guys who don't go to class and CST has been consistent with his Trier views for a long time.

I do agree with Kenny that the culture is a problem. Either we are recruiting the wrong guys or Miller and Co make this too hard on the guys. Doesn't seem to click with your first thought of a players program.

Additionally do you think the players care about me? Care that I gave their program money for their benefit instead of doing something just for me or my family? Not saying it is right to do or say certain things to players but let's not pretend like they care either. And I am not trying to act big here or say they should care or I deserve anything. Just that it goes both ways here.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

these guys all have worlds that aren't as linear as we see them. We see them as members of the team, so the reaction must be about members of the team because what else could they possibly be talking about because they aren't anything more than members of the team in our eyes.

These kids are giving "shucks, darn...I played within myself" interviews out of the womb. I would put the emojis being posted to taunt Rawle pretty low on the board of possible reasons for the emojis. Because they really do have other lives...their world isn't directly related to their teammates all day and night.

From what I have heard, this team has about as good of chemistry as one could imagine given the circumstances of last year and losing players and re-inserting a player. They genuinely got along. They aren't all best friends, and Trier is a bit of a mercenary, but I have friends around town who have seen them all out in different, mixed groups, sometimes overlapping, including Trier, quite often (he lives near campus and catches them a lot around McKale). The groups he sometimes describes are funny in that "wow, I wouldn't have thought this guy and that guy would be friends" (maybe Keanu is a bit of a nerd). But that, along with friends in McKale, and others close to the coaches have generally said this group is pretty tight, and are brothers for life compared to last year. So I would be pretty shocked if that was an unprovoked attack by Zo at Rawle with no back story. I'd guess it wasn't related at all.

Trier on the court tends to be a ball hog. But, in reality, we needed him to be at times. Just not like he was vs SMC or Xavier.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:

Allonzo has a Michael Jordan mentality. Lauri has a Scottie Pippen mentality. There are pros and cons to both.
Which is awesome if Trier had Jordan-like productivity. A killer instinct without a killer fg percentage at the expense of other players productivity is immature at best, selfish at worst.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:
SirClinks wrote:God damn this place gets rough. Some of you guys turn on players so fast when nothing has even been decided!
To be fair I only have an issue with the guys who don't go to class and CST has been consistent with his Trier views for a long time.

I do agree with Kenny that the culture is a problem. Either we are recruiting the wrong guys or Miller and Co make this too hard on the guys. Doesn't seem to click with your first thought of a players program.

Additionally do you think the players care about me? Care that I gave their program money for their benefit instead of doing something just for me or my family? Not saying it is right to do or say certain things to players but let's not pretend like they care either. And I am not trying to act big here or say they should care or I deserve anything. Just that it goes both ways here.
Actually, I see this as entirely consistent with the concept of A Players Program. The concept is that players are in a program that cares about them. Allowing people to test the waters without freaking out is really a decision in the best interests of the player.

Lauri's best interests were served by the decision he made. I'm not sure Kobi made the wisest decision, but he definitely made the decision he wanted to make. Rawle's decision is smart. Chance's decision may not be the greatest, but he didn't hire an agent and close the door.

I see the concept of A Players Program as one where the players matter. The players drive the program, rather than the program using the players. It mimics Kentucky's push to show players that the school cares if they achieve their individual dreams. This, in my opinon, is very much indicative of the players having the freedom to explore what is best (or at least what they think is best) for them.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:

Which is awesome if Trier had Jordan-like productivity. A killer instinct without a killer fg percentage at the expense of other players productivity is immature at best, selfish at worst.
Eh, none of us was worried about his mentality when he was putting up 20 plus per game towards the end of the year. His mentality is an issue because of how he produced against Xavier.
gumby

Post by gumby »

PHXCATS wrote:

This isn't confined to Arizona, especially that last paragraph, which has ALWAYS been the case (regardless of coach). Look at the list of players declaring. Now, how much do you know about those players or their programs? Probably not much. Their tweets aren't posted here. Do you follow them on Twitter? Read their message boards? What do you hear through the grapevine about these other programs? Think there aren't anecdotes about other team's players skipping classes, posting mystery emojis on Twitter and perhaps not liking each other?

Seems to be a tendency to believe the program is the problem based on some flimsy evidence and reading between the lines. Yes, North Carolina has had success keeping guys. But is that the exception or the rule?

Step back. Widen the outlook. Maybe there is a forest, and not that one tree. Or Trier, as the case may be.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Hansen with a short article on how difficult it is to make it as a 2nd round pick: http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... a7464.html" target="_blank
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

The more Justin Jacksons that enter the draft, the better (or worse depending on your point of view) for marginal pros like Trier, Alkins and Comanche. As the deadline approaches, I don't know how any Arizona players other than Markannen who seriously believe they'll be drafted much less stick. All evidence points to our guys coming back for at least one more season.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Merkin wrote:Hansen with a short article on how difficult it is to make it as a 2nd round pick: http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... a7464.html" target="_blank
"Hater!" (is probably what a handler would respond with.
gumby

Post by gumby »

zonagrad wrote:The more Justin Jacksons that enter the draft, the better (or worse depending on your point of view) for marginal pros like Trier, Alkins and Comanche. As the deadline approaches, I don't know how any Arizona players other than Markannen who seriously believe they'll be drafted much less stick. All evidence points to our guys coming back for at least one more season.
Sure, but do we want them? So selfish. So dumb.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Come on Gumby, I readily admit my ill informed hot takes are my opinion. Which I'm entitled to have.

So selfish, so dumb. I get it.

You can agree or disagree. Either way it's all good.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

I guess the more appropriate question is: Does Miller want them?

We here in fan-land know relatively little about the inner workings of the program. Miller knows the players he has coming in. Knows the recruits he's hoping to land. And knows the players on his roster. Maybe he's seen enough of Comanche. Who knows?

Me? I want everyone back unless they're a legit shot to succeed at the next level. Right now, only Markannen fits that description. So good luck Lauri.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

zonagrad wrote:I guess the more appropriate question is: Does Miller want them?

We here in fan-land know relatively little about the inner workings of the program. Miller knows the players he has coming in. Knows the recruits he's hoping to land. And knows the players on his roster. Maybe he's seen enough of Comanche. Who knows?

Me? I want everyone back unless they're a legit shot to succeed at the next level. Right now, only Markannen fits that description. So good luck Lauri.
I'm a firm believer (in part from personal experience) that fans tend to overrate how much things need to be Kumbaya inside for a program to succeed. I was part of a Sweet 16 program where one player went after another with a lead pipe after things got physical during a pickup game in the offseason.

Managing egos, personal disagreements and difficult people is very much part of college basketball coaching. These are 18-22 year olds. They do dumb, immature stuff all the time. A coach can't be zero tolerance, but has to work towards and past that.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Hmmmmmmmmmmm
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Just got an alert from the score that Trier is returning
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Welp that probably means Rawle is for sure not coming back since they hate each other right? What does twitter say about that? Is there an update? lol
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

5★s that have stayed for at least 3 years recently.

Nick Johnson
Brandon Ashley
Zeus "Zeus" Zeuszeuski
Allonzo Trier
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Awesome. I'm pumped to have Trier back.

Just need Rawle and Chance back now. Selfishly I'd like them to underwhelm at the combine, but if they perform well then so be it. I'll be happy for them if they make that happen!
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

This was the big one. Go get Johnson and then just wait on Rawle and Chance
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

2.5 years for Trier lol. Not sure he stays if he plays all ear last year.

I'm, for one, freaking stoked to get Trier back. He will only get better and he will be preseason AA next year. He's gonna be great. If it costs us Bowen so be it.

Ayton has more alpha in him than Lauri. I'm pretty sure he will demand the ball more on the interior and there won't be a game where he goes 12 min in crunch time without a FGA where he's on the floor. That kid is going to EAT all day in the post at the college level.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

I really expected him to leave. I would because I would be sick of the NCAA. Dont know what he would have made but I bet he wouldnt be playing in sold out arenas next year like he is now. Get his hype up, get some players around him and lets win some games.