Who's staying? Who's going?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

PHXCATS

Re: Who's staying? Who's going?

Post by PHXCATS »

Seems like Chance even if he comes back will likely have grade issues. But get all those guys and lets do this thing in early 2018
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Gilbertcat wrote:I really expected him to leave. I would because I would be sick of the NCAA. Dont know what he would have made but I bet he wouldnt be playing in sold out arenas next year like he is now. Get his hype up, get some players around him and lets win some games.
The NCAA did him a favor, they didnt screw him.

But yes so happy he is back
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Bet Miller is pissed! :D

I am very glad he is back.

Smart move, go undrafted, or play himself into the first round.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Great f-ing news!
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Other than keeping Lauri and maybe getting Duval, this was biggest and most important news of off-season.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CalStateTempe wrote:Trier is such as dick.

Frankly he deserves the laughing emojis for how he fucked us in the tournament.
This post didn't age well.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Chicat wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Trier is such as dick.

Frankly he deserves the laughing emojis for how he fucked us in the tournament.
This post didn't age well.
Lol
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Scheer tweeted that Bowen probably won't come now but I'll take Trier.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Merkin wrote:Scheer tweeted that Bowen probably won't come now but I'll take Trier.
Looking at the rosters of this years Final Four teams, I'll take Trier over Bowen 10 times out of 10.

Get Rawle back and I'll officially be stoaked for next season. Not holding my breath just yet.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Trier was outstanding throughout the games he had to sit. He cheered for the guys who took his spot and contributed to the team however he could. He's a good guy and is now poised to have his best season as a Wildcat next year.

Great move, Zo!
Gimino

Post by Gimino »

Allonzo Trier's return marks the first time since after the 2009-10 season that Sean Miller brings back his leading scorer ... so, fire up those high hopes once again.

Trier’s return sets expectations high again for Arizona
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote:Scheer tweeted that Bowen probably won't come now but I'll take Trier.
I'd rather have Alkins than Bowen. Not even close really.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Junior Zo >>> Freshman Bowen. Not even a debate to me. 2018 will be a huge class
baconus66

Post by baconus66 »

PAC-12 POY front runner
billk78

Post by billk78 »

Finally some great news. Trier coming back is awesome. I think Markannen and Trier made the right decisions, while Chance and Kobe not so much. Rawle I do think is smart to test the waters....ultimately I think he will return. So with Trier returning, if Alkins and maybe Chance come back as well perhaps the sky isn't falling after all. Still need a pg though....
billk78

Post by billk78 »

Im glad we got those 20 billion retweets for Trier.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Trier will be an assassin next year. Bowen would be a highly talented player who has to adjust to the college level, struggle to fit in with the program's system, show some flashes of why his ceiling is high, and then get poked in the eye in the first half of an elimination tourney game and leave us with few clear memories of him in an Arizona uniform.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

great news
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

billk78 wrote:Im glad we got those 20 billion retweets for Trier.
lol people were losing their shit last night
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

I now think the realistic best case scenario is the 9 known players we have ..... get alkins back. Get chance back. Get cam Johnson. And go find a grad transfer senior for pg to compete w PJC.

I don't think Duval is realistic, nor Bowen, and I think I might rather have junior cam Johnson for two years as opposed to one and done Bowen for one to be honest. I'd probably rather have McCoy than chance but I think chance is more likely if he thinks in reality land instead of fantasy land. Just because he's missed some classes doesn't mean he's failing. A lot of stuff can be sumbmitted online. Wishful thinking maybe.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Great news! This is a win-win. He wasn't getting drafted in the 1st rd and yes jr Trier>>>fr Bowen.

We want Rawle & Chance back too!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PennZona20 wrote:I now think the realistic best case scenario is the 9 known players we have ..... get alkins back. Get chance back. Get cam Johnson. And go find a grad transfer senior for pg to compete w PJC.

I don't think Duval is realistic, nor Bowen, and I think I might rather have junior cam Johnson for two years as opposed to one and done Bowen for one to be honest. I'd probably rather have McCoy than chance but I think chance is more likely if he thinks in reality land instead of fantasy land. Just because he's missed some classes doesn't mean he's failing. A lot of stuff can be sumbmitted online. Wishful thinking maybe.
I don't think a grad transfer PG is remotely in the cards any more, regardless how many debates you and I had about it :lol:
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
I'd rather have Alkins than Bowen. Not even close really.
Alkins and Trier is the ticket.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
PennZona20 wrote:I now think the realistic best case scenario is the 9 known players we have ..... get alkins back. Get chance back. Get cam Johnson. And go find a grad transfer senior for pg to compete w PJC.

I don't think a grad transfer PG is remotely in the cards any more, regardless how many debates you and I had about it :lol:

Wtf choo!!!! U finally get me to come around on the subject and now u tell me no go on it!

Have u heard anything about Rowan from ur sources ? I'm starting to think he's only an option if we don't get Cam. It would be a logjam at wing for next few years to get both.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PennZona20 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Wtf choo!!!! U finally get me to come around on the subject and now u tell me no go on it!

Have u heard anything about Rowan from ur sources ? I'm starting to think he's only an option if we don't get Cam. It would be a logjam at wing for next few years to get both.
Hell the guy hasn't even announced he's transferring, so kinda hard to move on a guy when that's the case. I think focus is primarily on Cam Johnson as the grad transfer, with the guy from Rice and Chase Jeter in the mix for the normal sit out transfer. I'm still holding out for a grad transfer PG, but yeah sounds like we're rolling with PJC and Barcello to my dismay.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Humbly will eat crow.

Let's see how he does with a whole season.

Hopefully he'll commit to learning some d in the offseason and look for an open man now and again.

Glad he's back. Doesn't change my opinion that he's a mercurial player. And I do take the good with the bad and reserve the right to comment about both.

Also doesn't change the he may have issues with rawle, who knows only the twitter verse.
Last edited by CalStateTempe on Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Arizona fans are crazy.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Such a dick. So selfish. :)

j/k CST!
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Man, this thread is like my phone. People don't call back until I leave the office.
Right where I want to be.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
PennZona20 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Hell the guy hasn't even announced he's transferring, so kinda hard to move on a guy when that's the case. I think focus is primarily on Cam Johnson as the grad transfer, with the guy from Rice and Chase Jeter in the mix for the normal sit out transfer. I'm still holding out for a grad transfer PG, but yeah sounds like we're rolling with PJC and Barcello to my dismay.

Yeah , I guess I'm putting cart before horse w Rowan. Perhaps my source was too.

I'd be okay w cam and a traditional transfer. We really do kind of need chance for interior depth though. We'd need a quick fix as frontline depth if he bolts.
Good For You

Post by Good For You »

Zo's back? My Hero!
billk78

Post by billk78 »

I think Trier's defense was a little underrated. He has the potential to be better, yes, but I didn't see him as a defensive liability.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

PennZona20 wrote:2.5 years for Trier lol. Not sure he stays if he plays all ear last year.

I'm, for one, freaking stoked to get Trier back. He will only get better and he will be preseason AA next year. He's gonna be great. If it costs us Bowen so be it.

Ayton has more alpha in him than Lauri. I'm pretty sure he will demand the ball more on the interior and there won't be a game where he goes 12 min in crunch time without a FGA where he's on the floor. That kid is going to EAT all day in the post at the college level.
I don't know if Ayton will demand the ball in the interior...he might be more likely to have his hand up calling for a perimeter pass. Hopefully he gains post play skills as the season progresses. But I think the dynamic will be different, Trier will be more settled having played all year (not rushing to catch up), and we should have some better options on the wings (especially if we have a 2nd year Rawle), so Trier won't need to force as much. As bad as Xavier was, no one else took shots during that time and we were running low in the shot clock a LOT. I feel like most that Trier was too assertive in the Xavier game, but no one exactly took the ball and made a statement, and after he had 15 straight points, I think most of us were like "OK...shoot again." Other than Xavier and times vs SMC, I thought Zo did a perfectly fine job of being the aggressor/alpha scorer without going what we old timers used to call "going Terry DeHare" (Seton Hall guard among national leaders in scoring, seemingly on 7 - 23 shooting every night).

If I have an issue with Zo, it is defensively. That is where he needs to improve. Not shot selection
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Besties!

dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

I think that Bowen could still fit in.....especially if Alkins leaves. Triers best spot would be shooting guard and Bowen is really a small forward. If both Alkins/Trier return then we would certainly have a logjam.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Wow I did not see Trier coming back. Great news.

Too soon to start talking about 5 star senior Trier? Ya, too soon
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Jefe wrote:Wow I did not see Trier coming back. Great news.

Too soon to start talking about 5 star senior Trier? Ya, too soon
Let's just hope Junior 5 star Trier can take us where we want to go and it won't matter if we get a senior Trier
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

By the way I'm so fucking happy to have Trier back. He's gonna have such a huge year
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

dmjcat wrote:
I think that Bowen could still fit in.....especially if Alkins leaves. Triers best spot would be shooting guard and Bowen is really a small forward. If both Alkins/Trier return then we would certainly have a logjam.

If alkins leaves AND cam Johnson goes to Uk, then yeah , Bowen should come and be the starting SF on a great team. The things he has said though make it seem like he's not coming here for a bench role.

I'd have to believe we will get one of Cam, alkins, or Bowen though.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dmjcat wrote:
Bowen only fits without Alkins. If Rawle returns, he and Zo are both going to hog the wing minutes.

Motion offense wise, the SG/SF distinction is not huge. I wouldn't think Bowen would care if one spot is open, but if Alkins and Trier are both here, he just won't have many available minutes.

I think Johnson is a little different bc we could play him as a stretch 4, especially if Ayton is the rim protector we think he can be.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I only want Johnson or Bowen if we don't get Alkins back.

Johnson is just a very tall SG - he rebounds about as well a Kadeem Allen did last year. Rawle has better rebounding and block numbers. His 2.7 fouls drawn per 40 would be the lowest on the 2016-17 team (lower than PJC).

Really don't see him making it as a PF. This Cam kid isn't east coast tough.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I'd take Rawle and Johnson. Both fit numerous positions.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:I'd take Rawle and Johnson. Both fit numerous positions.
Bowen just as easily fits multiple positions as Rawle or Johnson (the two or three).
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:I only want Johnson or Bowen if we don't get Alkins back.

Johnson is just a very tall SG - he rebounds about as well a Kadeem Allen did last year. Rawle has better rebounding and block numbers. His 2.7 fouls drawn per 40 would be the lowest on the 2016-17 team (lower than PJC).

Really don't see him making it as a PF. This Cam kid isn't east coast tough.
Depends on Comanche. I'd like another PF option if Comanche isn't back.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Bowen just as easily fits multiple positions as Rawle or Johnson (the two or three).
Trier returning means no Bowen, so I'm trying to live in the now.

I put Rawle at the 2/3 and Johnson at the 3/4.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
This interests me. Why?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
This interests me. Why?

Get premium
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
This interests me. Why?

Get premium
I was born a premie. Does that qualify?

I just wonder if there is something about Trier that puts Bowen off. I always figured it was the minutes crunch if Trier was back, since Alkins is assumed to be returning.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
This interests me. Why?
To be honest I don't know, but I've always been told Trier's departure was the key to Bowen's commitment, hell our recruitment of him was built around the fact that we never thought we'd have Zo back next season. I get that he could play along side Zo as they are different positions, but I don't think he wants to. You can come to your own conclusions there.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

It's because Trier hasn't demonstrated that he's no longer a ball stopper, while Bowen desires that he be the ball stopper.