Lorenzo Romar

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Puerco

Re: Lorenzo Romar

Post by Puerco »

I'm giggling like a schoolgirl at the prospect of Romar on the UA sideline, but there's a little devil sitting on my shoulder who keeps repeating this conversation:

SEAN: 'Yo, Lorenzo! Why don't you come on down to Tucson and play Assosciate Head Coach for a few years till Roy retires? Then you step right in for me, eh? Whaddya think?'
LORENZO: 'Hell yeah!'

EDIT: And Bazzy's head would explode. Again.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Puerco wrote:I'm giggling like a schoolgirl at the prospect of Romar on the UA sideline, but there's a little devil sitting on my shoulder who keeps repeating this conversation:

SEAN: 'Yo, Lorenzo! Why don't you come on down to Tucson and play Assosciate Head Coach for a few years till Roy retires? Then you step right in for me, eh? Whaddya think?'

Yea the idea of Romar being the KO equivalent has also gone through my head. It would certainly explain why he is jumping at the opportunity.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Oh sure. Ruin the moment!
Right where I want to be.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

The boosters would never stand for a Lorenzo Romar succession plan. Knock it off guys.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Puerco wrote:I'm giggling like a schoolgirl at the prospect of Romar on the UA sideline, but there's a little devil sitting on my shoulder who keeps repeating this conversation:

Eh, Miller is either going to UNC or not, IMO. Whether Romar is here isn't going to decide that. When UNC opens, we will have to fight to retain Miller regardless.

If Romar's still around at that point and Miller does leave, we have another qualified candidate.
baconus66

Post by baconus66 »

I still can't get over how weird this whole thing is.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
If Romar's still around at that point and Miller does leave, we have another qualified candidate.
I love many things about Lorenzo Romar, but I couldn't disagree with you more on the final part of your statement here. Qualified to be the head coach of the University of Arizona basketball team he is not.
baconus66

Post by baconus66 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I love many things about Lorenzo Romar, but I couldn't disagree with you more on the final part of your statement here. Qualified to be the head coach of the University of Arizona basketball team he is not.
He made some mistakes at UW that eventually led to their downfall, but if he corrects them I could see him being a successful coach at a top program
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Last time we were looking for a head coach, Tim Floyd was in. I would have other people ahead of Romar on my list, but we could do worse.

Romar has had issues lately, but he's had three Sweet 16 trips at a program that was not a traditional power. Look, I'm not saying he would definitely be the guy, but programs on our level have done worse.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Compared to last time, the program is going to be at a completely different level when we have to hire another coach.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

ChooChooCat wrote:The boosters would never stand for a Lorenzo Romar succession plan. Knock it off guys.
Yea it's certainly not sanctioned. I mean, the only one who knows when Miller intends to leave is Miller. It could be part of the pitch to get Romar here though. As dirty as I feel typing this, I feel like I have to recognize the possibility.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Last time we were looking for a head coach, Tim Floyd was in. I would have other people ahead of Romar on my list, but we could do worse.

Romar has had issues lately, but he's had three Sweet 16 trips at a program that was not a traditional power. Look, I'm not saying he would definitely be the guy, but programs on our level have done worse.
We were a dumpster fire going on our third coach in three years Spiff. Let's not act as if when Miller leaves Arizona will be in a remotely similar position. We went from hiring a guy to replace a legend to hiring a guy who can't get past an Elite 8 (at the moment of course). We also went from a one coach program to a proven "a coach not named Lute Olson can succeed there."

Romar is not Arizona head man material. To even argue as much is ridiculous. Six NCAA tournament bids in 15 years at UW. Not qualified.

On a side note the fact Livengood prioritized Tim Floyd over Sean Miller and others says more about Livengood than it did Arizona.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

threenumberones wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:The boosters would never stand for a Lorenzo Romar succession plan. Knock it off guys.
Yea it's certainly not sanctioned. I mean, the only one who knows when Miller intends to leave is Miller. It could be part of the pitch to get Romar here though. As dirty as I feel typing this, I feel like I have to recognize the possibility.
It's not part of the pitch. He has two choices if he does not get a head coaching offer, be an assistant in the NBA or stay in the college game somehow. Assisting at the top west coast program is a pretty damn good option for a guy if he wants to stay in the college game.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

TucsonClip wrote:Compared to last time, the program is going to be at a completely different level when we have to hire another coach.
Bingo. Any argument for Romar as a remote possibility needs this as an auto reply.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Jeff a little late on the scoop
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

NYCat wrote:Jeff a little late on the scoop
Never realized what a poor recruiter Miller is where he needs help.

Fucking Goodman and his hate for his alma mater.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Romar is pretty much following every Arizona player and recruit, but we're not supposed to read too much into the tweeters
Merkin wrote:

To be fair merk, he said following​ that tweet that he lost his top recruiting assistant (Pasternack).
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

NYCat wrote:Romar is pretty much following every Arizona player and recruit, but we're not supposed to read too much into the tweeters
Merkin wrote:

To be fair merk, he said following​ that tweet that he lost his top recruiting assistant (Pasternack).
You're right of course, just wanted to get a dig in at Goodman. ;)
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

I escape the internet on vacation for a week and I miss all the good shit. This is amazing. Even more amazing if Romar decides he's done with head coaching and just wants to stick around and be part of the superest super team of recruiters until he retires.
psiclist23

Post by psiclist23 »

Any news? I thought they were going to announce on the 13th.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

psiclist23 wrote:Any news? I thought they were going to announce on the 13th.
Bid closed on the 13th, but there needs to be a mandatory one day review (today), before the hire is made per Arizona law. Obviously the weekend is next and these things are never made official then, so expect Monday or Tuesday.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Bid closed on the 13th, but there needs to be a mandatory one day review (today), before the hire is made per Arizona law. Obviously the weekend is next and these things are never made official then, so expect Monday or Tuesday.
What does "bid" mean in this circumstance?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

EOCT wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
What does "bid" mean in this circumstance?
The bid for the job opening. I may have chose the wrong word, but the job has to be officially on the market for one week per Arizona law, regardless of the fact they know who they're hiring or not.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Puerco

Post by Puerco »

:o :o :o
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Boom! Great choice by Romar
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

He and CSM will get their first FF trip as coaches together. Soon.

Welcome, Coach Romar!

With all due respect to Pasternak, is this not an upgrade?
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Great hire! Perfect mix of being able to handle delegated coaching duties and recruiting. Will free up Miller to come in late to pull video game overnighters now like Harbaugh.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Goodman says Romar was a big reason Trier came back. Not sure I buy that. I think Pasternack was pretty solid, both with the X and O's and the only thing LoRo might have on him is rep
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Kiyama

Post by Kiyama »

azcat49 wrote:Goodman says Romar was a big reason Trier came back. Not sure I buy that. I think Pasternack was pretty solid, both with the X and O's and the only thing LoRo might have on him is rep
In recruiting rep goes a looong way. If he was able to get some great talent to UW, I am excited about what he will do in Tucson.
smashmode

Post by smashmode »

Meh.
mofo

Post by mofo »

This is kinda unprecedented right? I probably don't know as much about CBB history as some folks here, but I'm pretty sure shit like this doesn't happen very often. I'm sure ego gets in the way a lot and that makes me like Romar even more, that he's not so egocentric to refuse an AHC position. Pretty solid last couple days at UA. What off season??!!
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Impressive. 8-)

Jeff Goodman

@GoodmanESPN

Allonzo Trier's return to Arizona was definitely helped by the hire of Romar. Trier and his mother have close relationship with Romar.
2:47 PM - 15 Apr 2017

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketball ... on-huskies" target="_blank
SirClinks

Post by SirClinks »

Awesome. Makes sense this helped Trier make the choice to come back seeing as he is from Seattle Im sure he has a good relationship with Romar.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Welcome, Big Guy!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

mofo wrote:This is kinda unprecedented right? I probably don't know as much about CBB history as some folks here, but I'm pretty sure shit like this doesn't happen very often. I'm sure ego gets in the way a lot and that makes me like Romar even more, that he's not so egocentric to refuse an AHC position. Pretty solid last couple days at UA. What off season??!!
Let's make some history!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

mofo wrote:This is kinda unprecedented right? I probably don't know as much about CBB history as some folks here, but I'm pretty sure shit like this doesn't happen very often. I'm sure ego gets in the way a lot and that makes me like Romar even more, that he's not so egocentric to refuse an AHC position. Pretty solid last couple days at UA. What off season??!!
The only coaches I know that went from a very well tenured head coach like Romar to an assistant was coaches that were way over the hill like Gene Keady. This is the first I've seen of a coach of this stature with plenty time ahead of him in his career still becoming an assistant. I
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

He'll learn good program management skills from Miller, and I'm sure some school with come knocking in a few years to hire him away.
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

Do we have any details in terms of salary and length of contract? If not, when does that become public?

I would imagine he signed a relatively short deal, maybe 2 years at max no?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

A1RZONA wrote:Do we have any details in terms of salary and length of contract? If not, when does that become public?

I would imagine he signed a relatively short deal, maybe 2 years at max no?
No details are out yet, but this was in the Star:

Romar, 58, is expected to receive a salary at least in the mid-six-figure range, and is receiving a $3.2 million buyout from Washington. Pasternack made $302,000 as UA's associate head coach.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Lmao. This is so freakin awesome, cant wipe the smile off my face.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

What about Jeff Capel? 9 years as head coach at Virginia Commonwealth (2002-06) and Oklahoma (2006-11) before joining Duke. Sure, Romar has no prior connection with Arizona but it is a win-win in my opinion.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

What a joke.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

enfuego wrote:What a joke.
What about it is a joke?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Pretty cool...

Arizona Wildcats' Sean Miller came from 'left field' to land longtime foe Lorenzo Romar as top assistant

By Bruce Pascoe Arizona Daily Star Apr 15, 2017 Updated 7 hrs ago

“He said, ‘This might be out of left field,’” Romar said.

Romar, who was formally named Arizona’s associate head coach Saturday, said he didn’t want to detail the conversations the two had in Tucson that day. But he made it clear their connection was unmistakable.

“The things he said — it was almost as if he had spoken to my wife beforehand and said, ‘OK, if we want Lorenzo, what is going to be important to him?’” Romar said. “And he said those things. When he said them, I just thought, ‘Wow. Wow.’”

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... a849f.html" target="_blank
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

ASUHATER! wrote:
What about it is a joke?
There is a thread on here blasting him for years and now he's a great pick up?

edit to add: Apparently that thread has been deleted? That's very Kentucky fan-esque.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

enfuego wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
What about it is a joke?

edit to add: Apparently that thread has been deleted? That's very Kentucky fan-esque.
There is a difference between a Head Coach and an Associate Head Coach -- you are nuanced enough to see that right?
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

I don't remember an anti-Romar thread on this site. TOS yes, when we were ragging on the guy for Romar-ing kids. But that was when Washington was a mini-rival back in the Derrick Williams days.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

enfuego wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
What about it is a joke?

I don't know anything about that thread, and I don't doubt that some fans would have blasted Romar or any other rival coach, and particularly as Romar's program suffered for several years at the end. But I recall respected posters who lauded Romar on these boards. I've always been a fan of Romar and agreed with those who thought UCLA missed a big opportunity in not hiring him after firing Howland. Washington has limitations that leave it to rely heavily on Seattle recruiting. When that was down, it made the limitations compound, and Seattle recruits went elsewhere. At that point, there's not much anyone can do other than start over with a new coach, though it's still arguable that Romar was going to turn it around with a couple of strong classes.