2017-2018 Arizona Basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

McKale Midwest

Re: 2017-2018 Arizona Basketball

Post by McKale Midwest »

WHAT IF!? Rawle and Chance both come back?! I think that would really make us at worst a top 3 team heading into the season.

Is that the best case scenario? I think if I could pick two of the players; Rawle, Chance, Johnson, Bowen, Duval. I would choose Duval and Rawle. I think our hole at PG is bigger than our hole in the front court. I think Ayton, Ristic, Pinder and Lee are more than capable, however I would really, really, really like to have Chance.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

McKale Midwest wrote:WHAT IF!? Rawle and Chance both come back?! I think that would really make us at worst a top 3 team heading into the season.

Is that the best case scenario? I think if I could pick two of the players; Rawle, Chance, Johnson, Bowen, Duval. I would choose Duval and Rawle. I think our hole at PG is bigger than our hole in the front court. I think Ayton, Ristic, Pinder and Lee are more than capable, however I would really, really, really like to have Chance.
Stop wasting your time bringing up Duval. It's not happening.
McKale Midwest

Post by McKale Midwest »

ChooChooCat wrote:
McKale Midwest wrote:WHAT IF!? Rawle and Chance both come back?! I think that would really make us at worst a top 3 team heading into the season.

This is a high school kid we are talking about, IT COULD HAPPEN! If I would have asked you or any other "expert" last week if McCoy was going to UNLV, EVERY ONE OF THEM WOULD HAVE SAID NO! Stop acting like you've got a bead on every player and recruit in the nation. As long as Duval is uncommitted there is a chance that he ends up at Arizona. Do I think its likely or probable, no, but I'm not ruling it out.
gumby

Post by gumby »

I say DePaul. Go ahead! Prove me wrong!
Right where I want to be.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

gumby wrote:I say DePaul. Go ahead! Prove me wrong!
Hell go big or go home! I say Delaware!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

McKale Midwest wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

This is a high school kid we are talking about, IT COULD HAPPEN! If I would have asked you or any other "expert" last week if McCoy was going to UNLV, EVERY ONE OF THEM WOULD HAVE SAID NO! Stop acting like you've got a bead on every player and recruit in the nation. As long as Duval is uncommitted there is a chance that he ends up at Arizona. Do I think its likely or probable, no, but I'm not ruling it out.
Last week Jason Scheer said UNLV was gaining major steam with McCoy, so no not every one of them would have said "No!" and if an Arizona beat guy heard this I'm going to assume numerous national guys did as well. I could give a crap less if he was a grade school kid, reality is reality. Stop wasting your time, I'm doing you a favor. He's not coming to Arizona.
psiclist23

Post by psiclist23 »

Stop wasting your time bringing up Duval. It's not happening.[/quote]

Why wouldn't he come here? We really need a point guard, and he would be on a great team. Better than Duke, probably.
McKale Midwest

Post by McKale Midwest »

psiclist23 wrote:Stop wasting your time bringing up Duval. It's not happening.
Why wouldn't he come here? We really need a point guard, and he would be on a great team. Better than Duke, probably.[/quote]

Go ahead and answer him ChooChoo! You seem to be omnipotent when it comes to college basketball recruiting, so answer the mans question.
McKale Midwest

Post by McKale Midwest »

ChooChooCat wrote:
McKale Midwest wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Last week Jason Scheer said UNLV was gaining major steam with McCoy, so no not every one of them would have said "No!" and if an Arizona beat guy heard this I'm going to assume numerous national guys did as well. I could give a crap less if he was a grade school kid, reality is reality. Stop wasting your time, I'm doing you a favor. He's not coming to Arizona.
If you really want to do me a favor, stop being a condescending asshole and telling me how to spend my time. If I want to speculate on whether or not Arizona has a shot at landing Duval, then I'm going to do it, with or without your approval.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

McKale Midwest wrote:
psiclist23 wrote:Stop wasting your time bringing up Duval. It's not happening.
Why wouldn't he come here? We really need a point guard, and he would be on a great team. Better than Duke, probably.
Go ahead and answer him ChooChoo! You seem to be omnipotent when it comes to college basketball recruiting, so answer the mans question.[/quote]

Jesus buddy I'll be sure to never bother with you from here set forth. There's nothing personal here, so please quit trying to make it so or just grow up, whatever you're capable of doing first.

Every kid and especially their circle have their own reasons for their college decisions. It's not rocket science to figure out why a kid would choose to go play basketball at Duke including the hype and attention that comes with playing there plus Duke really needs a point guard and will have a very good team too. It's not even a foregone conclusion Duval ends up playing college ball altogether still at this point.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:But but but but everyone says Rawle isnt gone yet..................................
It's a verifiable fact Rawle isn't gone yet.

Choo thinks he does not intend to return. Fair enough, but look to Kobi as an exaple of a guy who is actually gone. Kobi, that guy is gone.
I mean the door is open until he signs that agent paperwork, but there is only the slightest amount of light shining between that door and the other side of it and the only reason there's even that much light is he didn't even care to look back.

Maybe something changes his mind, but he knows his draft stock, this isn't a mystery and he knows what he's getting into.
We'll see. I don't claim inside sources. I post DX stuff because it is usually as good an overall indicator, but ultimately we're just waiting to see.

I will say, I believe Chance Comanche is joining a monastery and will never play basketball again. I have good info on that.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

O/u 2½ weeks PJC misses due to an injury?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:But but but but everyone says Rawle isnt gone yet..................................

Choo thinks he does not intend to return. Fair enough, but look to Kobi as an exaple of a guy who is actually gone. Kobi, that guy is gone.
I mean the door is open until he signs that agent paperwork, but there is only the slightest amount of light shining between that door and the other side of it and the only reason there's even that much light is he didn't even care to look back.

Maybe something changes his mind, but he knows his draft stock, this isn't a mystery and he knows what he's getting into.
We'll see. I don't claim inside sources. I post DX stuff because it is usually as good an overall indicator, but ultimately we're just waiting to see.

I will say, I believe Chance Comanche is joining a monastery and will never play basketball again. I have good info on that.
:lol: that would certainly explain a lot about Comanche's decision. I'm a DX guy myself, I just wish these guys took his word more to heart as a reason to come back. C'est la vie.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Doesn't the fact that there's a real chance (draftexpress rates Kadeem higher than Rawle) Alkins doesn't get drafted at all , nevermind the second round, lend towards the theory there's still a chance he comes back rather than go undrafted???
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PennZona20 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Doesn't the fact that there's a real chance (draftexpress rates Kadeem higher than Rawle) Alkins doesn't get drafted at all , nevermind the second round, lend towards the theory there's still a chance he comes back rather than go undrafted???
You'd sure hope so, but this is the two-way NBA contract draft class. This year will be different than all other years based on that one fact alone. A change of heart is always possible, but the information is out there already and not much will change if at all. As of now his mind is already made up regardless of everything we already know.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Sad that players would rather go undrafted than return. or sad that two guys were recruited and were one and dones no matter the facts
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
PennZona20 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

You'd sure hope so, but this is the two-way NBA contract draft class. This year will be different than all other years based on that one fact alone. A change of heart is always possible, but the information is out there already and not much will change if at all. As of now his mind is already made up regardless of everything we already know.
We'll see. There are so effing many people in this class, it is hard to tell. Almost 200 early entries plus senors. It is insanity.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
We'll see. There are so effing many people in this class, it is hard to tell. Almost 200 early entries plus senors. It is insanity.
It's those damn two-way contracts man. Ugh.
gumby

Post by gumby »

ChooChooCat wrote:
I did see a blue hen in the background of one of his tweets.
Right where I want to be.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

gumby wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
I did see a blue hen in the background of one of his tweets.
9/11 is an inside job confirmed.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

What are the chances (assuming that Duvall chooses Duke) that Trier sees all of the backup PG minutes? I see it as one of the only ways that he can improve his 2018 draft stock, along with improving on defense. He just doesn't have the frame to be a conventional NBA 2 guard. He needs to prove to NBA scouts that he can be a distributor as well as a scorer and defender.

The real question is: Do you guys think that Miller would allow Trier to run this offense for 10-15 minutes per game? (Still assuming our only other options for PG are PJC and Barcello)
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

If run the offense means jack up ISO shot after ISO shot and pass on the open man with a higher percentage play, no thank you.

But yes, I agree, I really hope Trier is working on distribution and defense this offseason. Hope we understands those two skill sets make him a deadly player and will improve his stock much greater than anything he doesn't on his own.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

IndianaZonaFan wrote:What are the chances (assuming that Duvall chooses Duke) that Trier sees all of the backup PG minutes? I see it as one of the only ways that he can improve his 2018 draft stock, along with improving on defense. He just doesn't have the frame to be a conventional NBA 2 guard. He needs to prove to NBA scouts that he can be a distributor as well as a scorer and defender.

The real question is: Do you guys think that Miller would allow Trier to run this offense for 10-15 minutes per game? (Still assuming our only other options for PG are PJC and Barcello)
I think it would do a lot for Trier's draft stock if he could show legit potential as a combo guard. Will Miller allow it? Depends on whether he's better than the other options. I think he has the chance to show he can do it, but if we reach January and Barcello is a better option for backup minutes, Barcello gets the minutes.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Even with last year's guards, Miller ran the offense through Trier through several stints.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Longhorned wrote:Even with last year's guards, Miller ran the offense through Trier through several stints.
True. But I think what others above are pointing to is AT's occasional tendency to go 1 on 5. He's so good at creating space and drawing fouls that he's actually had success doing this, but if he got better at seeing Ristic floating to the basket or a guard camped out in the corner for an open 3, he'd probably average closer to 4 assists per game (he was at 2.7 this past year).
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

We have to remember, part of that is not all Zo's fault. Issues w the zone, poor movement, lack of great point guard play (not always) all play into what we saw from Zo. Zo is that style of player, but all that outside style pushes it to levels that are likely what pisses some fans off.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Zo isn't afraid to call for the ball and take that last shot.

If you noticed Markannan in the last 10 minutes of the Xavier game it was completely the opposite.

So yes, Trier was probably wrong to go 1 on 5 end of game, but he needed someone else to step up too.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Trier would be so much better with a great PG next to him.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

NYCat wrote:Trier would be so much better with a great PG next to him.
Yep. Sadly, I don't think we'll get to see it unless Duval shocks the world here in the next few days.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Last night Miller said to expect two more recruits/players for next season. Doesn't know exactly who is coming or leaving but is planning on brining in two more guys for next season.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

PHXCATS wrote:Last night Miller said to expect two more recruits/players for next season. Doesn't know exactly who is coming or leaving but is planning on brining in two more guys for next season.
Not sure Jeter would count as a "next season" player because he'd have to sit out a year, but maybe he just means he's adding two to the roster, not necessarily two who will be eligible immediately.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

The current plan they're prepared for is losing both Rawle and Comanche with the hopes of bringing in Johnson and Jeter. I don't know what are the odds of landing either of those guys at this time, but we're at worst co-favorites for both.

Post rotation next year of Ayton, Ristic, Pinder, and Lee.
Wing rotation of Trier, Johnson, Randolph, D. Smith, and Denny if desperate.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:Last night Miller said to expect two more recruits/players for next season. Doesn't know exactly who is coming or leaving but is planning on brining in two more guys for next season.
Not sure Jeter would count as a "next season" player because he'd have to sit out a year, but maybe he just means he's adding two to the roster, not necessarily two who will be eligible immediately.
If Jeter is here on scholarship, he counts, even if he can't play
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

What was the problem with Jeter at Duke? Didn't really get a chance to watch them this past season.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:Zo isn't afraid to call for the ball and take that last shot.

If you noticed Markannan in the last 10 minutes of the Xavier game it was completely the opposite.

So yes, Trier was probably wrong to go 1 on 5 end of game, but he needed someone else to step up too.
That's essentially how I see it. Rawle was gun shy because his shot was off due to the finger. Parker really can't create his own shot. Lauri, for as good as he is, didn't demand the ball. Dusan/Chance need a setup to get shots.

So it fell to Trier.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:What was the problem with Jeter at Duke? Didn't really get a chance to watch them this past season.
I didn't watch him much to be honest, but he missed half of the season due to an injury.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:What was the problem with Jeter at Duke? Didn't really get a chance to watch them this past season.
He wasn't particularly good at basketball when he was in there.

I support bringing him in, but I see him as a rotation guy with experience. You get 2 years of a big guy who will give you decent minutes in a reserve or spot starter role. At Duke, he never flashed more than that. I see his role as similar to Chance this year.

At Duke, there was a 0% chance he could beat out Jefferson, Giles or Bolden.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
He wasn't particularly good at basketball when he was in there.

I support bringing him in, but I see him as a rotation guy with experience. You get 2 years of a big guy who will give you decent minutes in a reserve or spot starter role. At Duke, he never flashed more than that. I see his role as similar to Chance this year.

At Duke, there was a 0% chance he could beat out Jefferson, Giles or Bolden.
He'd make a great back up to Bol Bol, just saying . :D
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:At Duke, there was a 0% chance he could beat out Jefferson, Giles or Bolden.
Got it. So maybe Jeter was slightly overrated coming out of HS? He was a 5-star C/PF, with offers from Kansas, AZ, and Oregon. It seems most guys who rate that highly don't go on to become back-ups.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:At Duke, there was a 0% chance he could beat out Jefferson, Giles or Bolden.
Got it. So maybe Jeter was slightly overrated coming out of HS? He was a 5-star C/PF, with offers from Kansas, AZ, and Oregon. It seems most guys who rate that highly don't go on to become back-ups.
His back up at Bishop Gorman is going to be a lottery pick this year. Crazy how differently their careers have gone. Injuries have plagued him that I do know, but I certainly defer to Spiff in regards to his play.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
He was a 5 star because of his physical attributes. He has an NBA body and is explosive for his size.

He just doesn't have great skill and seemed to process the game slowly at Duke. 5 star physically, 2 or 3 star skill and IQ.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: 5 star physically, 2 or 3 star skill and IQ.
If he can board and block shots, he'll be a welcome addition. Oh, and hit FTs.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
55% FT shooter.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
It's a matter of expectations. I assume he got good coaching at Duke, so we would be getting him after 3 developmental years. His physical ability isn't the question, it's how much his skill and understanding of the game have freed him up.

In all seriousness, watching him at Duke reminded me a ton of a slightly bigger Chance Comanche without the jumper. In the same way I'd like Chance as a 4th year junior or 5th year senior, that's why I like Jeter. I don't see him as a dominator, but unless he just doesn't develop, I see a really solid 6'10 rotation guy.

He just is a little damned by being a 5 star and will never really produce like one.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:In all seriousness, watching him at Duke reminded me a ton of a slightly bigger Chance Comanche without the jumper. In the same way I'd like Chance as a 4th year junior or 5th year senior, that's why I like Jeter. I don't see him as a dominator, but unless he just doesn't develop, I see a really solid 6'10 rotation guy.

He just is a little damned by being a 5 star and will never really produce like one.
Good insights, SS. Yeah, that 5-star tag can become a millstone.

I also wonder if the culture was simply wrong for him at Duke, and if he's more likely to thrive elsewhere. This happens sometimes. Not to pick on Duke. Sometimes the fit between a player and a program isn't right, and it's something that wouldn't become apparent immediately. Jeter got a couple years into his Duke experience and realized it wasn't working out. Maybe he didn't like K as much as he thought he would. Maybe he didn't get along with his teammates. Who knows? Hopefully the change of scenery is good for him and he finishes his college career strongly.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

If its not Jeter, then Johnson and who else? Please be a PG, please be a PG

Bowen still not out?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Jefe wrote:If its not Jeter, then Johnson and who else? Please be a PG, please be a PG

Bowen still not out?
Bowen still a possibility but not with Johnson, PG unfortunately not at the moment.
Gato Salvaje

Post by Gato Salvaje »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:In all seriousness, watching him at Duke reminded me a ton of a slightly bigger Chance Comanche without the jumper. In the same way I'd like Chance as a 4th year junior or 5th year senior, that's why I like Jeter. I don't see him as a dominator, but unless he just doesn't develop, I see a really solid 6'10 rotation guy.

Good insights, SS. Yeah, that 5-star tag can become a millstone.

I also wonder if the culture was simply wrong for him at Duke, and if he's more likely to thrive elsewhere. This happens sometimes. Not to pick on Duke. Sometimes the fit between a player and a program isn't right, and it's something that wouldn't become apparent immediately. Jeter got a couple years into his Duke experience and realized it wasn't working out. Maybe he didn't like K as much as he thought he would. Maybe he didn't get along with his teammates. Who knows? Hopefully the change of scenery is good for him and he finishes his college career strongly.
ahh the hooker with a heart of Gold argument :D . I like it!

More than likely a shake off of expectations will be good for him. I think CSM is at his best coaching kids to over achieve and play with a chip on their shoulder. Prove the doubters wrong. Lets hope!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ligibility" target="_blank

Early favorite for 2018 Pac POY?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Beachcat97 wrote:http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ligibility

Early favorite for 2018 Pac POY?

This should be in the Rivals forum
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion