Who's staying? Who's going?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

EVCat

Re: Who's staying? Who's going?

Post by EVCat »

PHXCATS wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
EVCat wrote:This isn't a Miller era thing, though...We landed Josiah, who EVERYONE wanted, Momo was very good, Lyons was a score-first point but was successful, and then we had TJ.

It's only been since TJ left that we have suffered at the point. And it appears that is partially due to fear of Ramon going Ramon. But Miller has not totally missed his entire time here at point. It's more a collision of a couple of factors that have led to our current situation. And many programs would be happy with PJC at point...just not us, not with the talent we have around him.
Momo was a result of a desperate push to pull what we could. Lyons was a result of the Josiah flameout. Josiah was more of a character misread at a time we weren't really that choosy.

It's a semi-viable argument that PJC being the man is the only true miss of Miller's PG recruiting. The others...well, it's easy to argue it is the best we could do in that particular situation.
1) I am a firm believer that the pg spot is not what kept Arizona back the last two years. If it is it is due to the starting pg getting in early foul trouble and not talent.

2)It has been 8 years now under Miller, dont give me the best we could do crap at this stage.
I am pretty sure the actual comment in bold above was the "others...were the best we could do", referring to the years leading up to PJC.

So where the hell is he saying PJC in year 8 is the best we could do?
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

I think we're getting a PG next class guys
prh

Post by prh »

PHXCATS wrote:What is the real issue with PJC? Turnovers? Points? Boards? Assists?

Per 40 Minutes the drop from TJ as a senior vs PJC as a jr is not that great.

TJ per 40 minutes senior year 13.6 Points 8.3 Assists 5 Rebounds 2.9 Steals 2.8 Turnovers 49.8% FG 32.1% 3PG 82.9% FT
PJC per 40 minutes last year (jr year) 9.5 Points 6.6 Assists 4 Rebounds 1.9 Steals 2.1 Turnovers 42.9% FG 42.3% 3PG 70.4 FT

The team shot better from the field in TJ's senior year than the UA team did last year, not that it makes a 1.7 assist difference per game though.

Much more concerned about the defense of Allen leaving than anything else with the pg position.
Are you saying that PJC is just almost like having TJ? That might be the worst take ever on this board.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Josiah had so much potential. With Lyons and TJ we know he can bring in elite PGs. He just made a major mistake with PJC. Hopefully Romar can pull a rabbit out of the hat before the season tips. At this point, Id rather see Alonzo at the point.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

prh wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:What is the real issue with PJC? Turnovers? Points? Boards? Assists?

TJ per 40 minutes senior year 13.6 Points 8.3 Assists 5 Rebounds 2.9 Steals 2.8 Turnovers 49.8% FG 32.1% 3PG 82.9% FT
PJC per 40 minutes last year (jr year) 9.5 Points 6.6 Assists 4 Rebounds 1.9 Steals 2.1 Turnovers 42.9% FG 42.3% 3PG 70.4 FT

The team shot better from the field in TJ's senior year than the UA team did last year, not that it makes a 1.7 assist difference per game though.

Much more concerned about the defense of Allen leaving than anything else with the pg position.
Are you saying that PJC is just almost like having TJ? That might be the worst take ever on this board.
I am asking why people are so upset about PJC. Stats wise there is not a huge drop off. Intangibles? Defense? TJ was a superior player no doubt.

I am hoping for more than "he sucks"
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

PHXCATS wrote:
prh wrote:

I am asking why people are so upset about PJC. Stats wise there is not a huge drop off. Intangibles? Defense? TJ was a superior player no doubt.

Then look at 97's assessment above. You could counter-argue those observations. Nobody here is limiting this to "he sucks", but in characterizing the debate by that simplification, you're positioning your own admission of TJs superiority as the nuanced take in a discussion otherwise filled with over-simplification, while at the same time walking back your favorable comparison of PJC to TJ. We could outline for you again the qualities at issue with PJC, but that would just mask the intention of your rhetoric, which everyone here knows.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:
prh wrote:

PJC is a better spot up 3 point shooter than TJ. I would say TJ is better at everything else. Defense is a major, major difference.

That's it. PJC is better in one area and TJ takes everything else, some by yawning margins. TJ is also far more consistent. Part of Parker's issue is you never really know what you're getting.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: PJC is a better spot up 3 point shooter than TJ. I would say TJ is better at everything else. Defense is a major, major difference.

That's it. PJC is better in one area and TJ takes everything else, some by yawning margins. TJ is also far more consistent. Part of Parker's issue is you never really know what you're getting.
PJC is usually the worst defensive guard on the floor. Some midgets do OK and make up for their shortness with quickness, hustle and court awareness, but PJC doesn't have that.

TJ of course was usually the best defensive guard on the floor. Just so much court awareness.

As mentioned above, TJ is a real leader. PJC has no leadership ability.

Likewise with consistency. Remember Sophomore PJC was good at McKale, but awful on the road? We never knew who was going to show up last year, although he did have some good road games.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote: PJC is a better spot up 3 point shooter than TJ. I would say TJ is better at everything else. Defense is a major, major difference.

PJC is usually the worst defensive guard on the floor. Some midgets do OK and make up for their shortness with quickness, hustle and court awareness, but PJC doesn't have that.

TJ of course was usually the best defensive guard on the floor. Just so much court awareness.

As mentioned above, TJ is a real leader. PJC has no leadership ability.

Likewise with consistency. Remember Sophomore PJC was good at McKale, but awful on the road? We never knew who was going to show up last year, although he did have some good road games.
Another huge difference, IMO, is that TJ was much, much stronger with the ball. Parker does not face pressure well. When he is matched with a physical, quick defender, my heart is always in my throat.
Jwsisliving

Post by Jwsisliving »

Can't you guys enjoy anything? So much over-analysis, criticism, 'I would've done this better', and just generally ragging on players (it's like their good games and good qualities don't count).

Just sucking the joy out of the game.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

One other thing.

I feel bad for PJC. A lot of what 97 says, right or wrong, comes from Arizona's tremendous PG lineage. When 97 talks about what a PG should be, I think of Mike Bibby vs North Carolina. He was a freshman PG in the Final Four facing an excellent backcourt in Cota and Williams and two future NBA allstars, plus a hall of fame coach. Bibby just killed them.

That's what you want from a PG. No fear and dominating a great opponent on the biggest stage. Even if Parker gives us a good year, he will never be in that mold.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jwsisliving wrote:Can't you guys enjoy anything? So much over-analysis, criticism, 'I would've done this better', and just generally ragging on players (it's like their good games and good qualities don't count).

Just sucking the joy out of the game.
I thought overanalysis, monday morning quarterbacking and just generally sucking the joy out of the game was why message boards were created. Don't tell me I've been neglecting my family in favor of vicariously living my life through kids who couldn't care less about me under false pretenses?
gumby

Post by gumby »

97cats wrote:
gumby wrote: Missing the point. Miller should catch the grief then. Not Parker ... over and over and over.
the point, Cartwright is still playing, and Cartwright is still the guy, so while its Miller's fault that hasnt changed, Cartwright will still get critiqued by me, especially when people say that Arizona has one of the five best back-courts in the country going into next year (which is why i originally chimed in yesterday) or state that Arizona is one of the favorites for the final four.

regardless of whos fault, its Miller's BTW, i will say till the day is long that those opinions are not shared by me, and that the glaring hole in Arizona's all around FF caliber roster is at PG.

so just cause its not Parker's fault hes in the position hes in doesnt mean hes beyond critique -- i can tell you when he plays good (which isnt often) hes praised more than anyone.

im fair on this, people dont like the takes/opinions, thats fine.

but as long as hes the guy and plays, Cartwright is certainly not beyond praise or criticism from me just cause its not his fault hes in the position hes in at Arizona.
It's never been my position that a particular player cannot be critiqued. And I'm certainly in no position to make such a demand (and I wouldn't). I agree that PG is a problem.

You will continue to criticize the player more than the coach, though you acknowledge he is 100 percent responsible.

So carry on, my wayward son.
Right where I want to be.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I keep opening this thread with the hope I'll get some info on who is staying and who is going.

Probably about as useful as hoping PJC grows three inches and puts on 20 lbs.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Chicat wrote:I keep opening this thread with the hope I'll get some info on who is staying and who is going.

I am staying.

BC97 was benched for a while, but he is back.

Machina may be wearing a different jersey/checking in under a different name.

No point guards are coming.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Lol, nice.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Sean Miller preparing for life without Rawle Alkins, Chance Comanche — or both

By Bruce Pascoe Arizona Daily Star May 3, 2017 Updated 4 hrs ago

I think we’ll bring in a class of six,” Miller said, after discussing his four fall signees. “I know some of you are curious over who’s gonna stay and who’s gonna leave. If I knew, I would tell you. I do know those four are coming in. I think that everybody here should be excited about a class of six.”

While Alkins and Comanche go through the predraft process, Miller’s staff hasn’t stopped recruiting – possibly even to fill their spots. Among other recent developments, UA is scheduled to host transfer forwards Cameron Johnson (Pitt) and Chase Jeter (Duke) for a recruiting visit this weekend, while five-star high school wing Brian Bowen is still considering UA.

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... 3f74e.html" target="_blank
gumby

Post by gumby »

EVCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:I keep opening this thread with the hope I'll get some info on who is staying and who is going.

I am staying.

BC97 was benched for a while, but he is back.

Machina may be wearing a different jersey/checking in under a different name.

No point guards are coming.
:lol:
gumby

Post by gumby »

HiCat wrote:Sean Miller preparing for life without Rawle Alkins, Chance Comanche — or both

By Bruce Pascoe Arizona Daily Star May 3, 2017 Updated 4 hrs ago

I think we’ll bring in a class of six,” Miller said, after discussing his four fall signees. “I know some of you are curious over who’s gonna stay and who’s gonna leave. If I knew, I would tell you. I do know those four are coming in. I think that everybody here should be excited about a class of six.”

While Alkins and Comanche go through the predraft process, Miller’s staff hasn’t stopped recruiting – possibly even to fill their spots. Among other recent developments, UA is scheduled to host transfer forwards Cameron Johnson (Pitt) and Chase Jeter (Duke) for a recruiting visit this weekend, while five-star high school wing Brian Bowen is still considering UA.

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... 3f74e.html" target="_blank
Note the part where Miller says Chance and Rawle are staying true to school work, though the reporter did not confirm with Snapchat.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Good luck kid. This was not unexpected.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Good luck to Chance.

I would like to say I'm more positive about how this works out, but hey, good luck to him.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

He must really want to do a lot of traveling around Europe

Good luck Chance
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Going to miss seeing CC develop over what I thought would be a 4 year career. Just hate what is happening with college basketball. Good luck CC
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
97cats

Post by 97cats »

"showcasing my talent"

another person with their head up their ass
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

My thoughts exactly, 97.

Sure, I wish him good luck, he's gonna need it, but I also tend to see this more as an opportunity squandered from both CC and Arizona.

He would've been tremendous for us next year, and subsequently for his pro prospects. Oh well.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Rawle Alkins’ NBA draft decision could impact Cameron Johnson’s future
5 comments
Johnson will be in Tucson on Friday
by Jason Bartel May 5, 2017, 7:30am PDT

“They have a spot with [Rawle] Alkins leaving, if he stays in the draft, obviously,” Johnson told Daniels. “With him leaving they have a spot they need me to fill and there’s a role for me there with the rest of the team there. There’s a spot carved out for me there, that’s their pitch.”

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketball ... r-kentucky" target="_blank
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

LOL, good luck with that CC.

This modern era sucks vis-a-vis roster retention.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Alieberman wrote:He must really want to do a lot of traveling around Europe
The marginal parts, that is.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Is Turkey Europe now/again?

I know that was a hot debate around 2004.

Maybe Chance has an interest in near east culture and history? Professor Nava was that good of a professor (and a huge backer of basketball player education)
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Wasn't going to play this year, if we land Bol he wasn't going to play next year either. Jeter was possibly also going to take his mins.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I put Chance just about the Grant Jarrett line of CATs I'll be interested in how their doing vs pit stop player afterthoughts.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Really NY? I thought CC demonstrated great development all year and was really looking to capitalize on it with a bigger role and leadership position next year.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chance left before even being a starter.

I hope we can keep Rawle. He's the more important of the two.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote:Wasn't going to play this year, if we land Bol he wasn't going to play next year either. Jeter was possibly also going to take his mins.
Wasn't going to start sure, but yeah the guy was in for all the back up 5 and maybe some back up 4 minutes that he could handle. Meh.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Ayton's getting all the backup 5 minutes
psiclist23

Post by psiclist23 »

These kids must have an unrealistic view of how good players in the NBA really are. Because again, if you can't even break into the starting line-up on your college team, how are you possibly going to make it in the pros? I guess being idolized your entire life instills unrealistic expectations. SMH
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Main Event wrote:Ayton's getting all the backup 5 minutes
Well now he is.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Well now he is.
He was before
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Main Event wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Well now he is.
He was before
He'd get minutes at the 5, but not all of them. Don't be ridiculous.

What Lauri had going last year is what Ayton will have next.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

We desperately need another big man for next year now. Paper thin
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:We desperately need another big man for next year now. Paper thin
We have 4 guys to play the 2 post positions. That's not paper thin. If we get Johnson then he can move over to the 4 in a small lineup too.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Main Event wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Well now he is.
He was before

Lauri isn't built like Ayton nor are his strengths at the 5 like Ayton. His minutes were going down. This isn't even including Ira and Pinder who are natural 4's
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Main Event wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Main Event wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Well now he is.
He was before

Lauri isn't built like Ayton nor are his strengths at the 5 like Ayton. His minutes were going down. This isn't even including Ira and Pinder who are natural 4's
Pinder would've redshirted had Comanche returned and I know that for a fact.

Comanche would've gotten time, but it's all moot. I do know Miller didn't shed one tear over this decision though.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

He would have gotten time, just less than what he got this year
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

psiclist23 wrote:These kids must have an unrealistic view of how good players in the NBA really are. Because again, if you can't even break into the starting line-up on your college team, how are you possibly going to make it in the pros? I guess being idolized your entire life instills unrealistic expectations. SMH
"Man, Chief...that sucks you don't start. You way better. Bro, you lead the team in dunks. You finish, bro. This is bullshit"

"Yeah...I shoulda been starting. Coach doesn't like me. All on me about class and shit. What the fuck?"

"Bro...you should go pro. Can you imagine it? Think about it...girls, money, blockin' LeBron....we...I mean you...should totally do that."

"Yeah...I'd cuff BronBron. That'd be on SportsCenter. Can't get on SportsCenter with this fool never playin me.

"Yup, yup. Bro...I took some law classes online. I can check shit out for you. We...I mean you are gonna be stylin...."
gumby

Post by gumby »

Main Event wrote:
1. It's "forgo." Forego was a horse.

2. Good luck.

3. Parting Gift

4. Who has next?
gumby

Post by gumby »

EVCat wrote:
psiclist23 wrote:These kids must have an unrealistic view of how good players in the NBA really are. Because again, if you can't even break into the starting line-up on your college team, how are you possibly going to make it in the pros? I guess being idolized your entire life instills unrealistic expectations. SMH
"Man, Chief...that sucks you don't start. You way better. Bro, you lead the team in dunks. You finish, bro. This is bullshit"

"Yeah...I shoulda been starting. Coach doesn't like me. All on me about class and shit. What the fuck?"

"Bro...you should go pro. Can you imagine it? Think about it...girls, money, blockin' LeBron....we...I mean you...should totally do that."

"Yeah...I'd cuff BronBron. That'd be on SportsCenter. Can't get on SportsCenter with this fool never playin me.

"Yup, yup. Bro...I took some law classes online. I can check shit out for you. We...I mean you are gonna be stylin...."
The Forego Whisperer.