let's talk '17

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: let's talk '17

Post by ChooChooCat »

BigSkyCatinMT wrote:At least Chance made the announcement prior to our 2 visits this weekend. I do appreciate the timing. Gives us a better chance to land Cam.
I think you mean Jeter.
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

ChooChooCat wrote:
BigSkyCatinMT wrote:At least Chance made the announcement prior to our 2 visits this weekend. I do appreciate the timing. Gives us a better chance to land Cam.
I think you mean Jeter.
I think I don't mean Jeter. I think I mean Cameron Johnson. I think Jeter would be ok after sitting out a year, I think. I think With 2 bigs, and Pinder, not much size, I think. I think Lee and Johnson at 6-8 with Miller's 'positionless' idea would increase the odds with Cam, I think.

Tell me what else I think.
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Choo, is there any grad transfers that we can bring in in case of injury/depth behind Ristic? Are they looking for this (I assume they expected chance to stay in)? I googled a list and there did not seem to be too many options.

Maybe:
Dylan Johns C CS-Northridge 6'11, 240 2.2 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 0.3 apg, .580 FG%, n/a 3pt%, 0.2 spg, 0.9 bpg
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

BigSkyCatinMT wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
I think you mean Jeter.
I think I don't mean Jeter. I think I mean Cameron Johnson. I think Jeter would be ok after sitting out a year, I think. I think With 2 bigs, and Pinder, not much size, I think. I think Lee and Johnson at 6-8 with Miller's 'positionless' idea would increase the odds with Cam, I think.

I will never tell you what to think, but I will tell you that if Rawle Alkins does come back (unlikely mind you) then our percentage of getting Cam Johnson is 0%. He's more concerned with how many minutes are available on the wing than he ever will be with what's available at the 4, although you're not incorrect that he could possibly get some PT there in a smaller lineup. The post rotation as it stands with no Comanche is Ristic and Ayton starting with Pinder and Lee splitting the vast majority if not all of minutes available in the post from there.

I wasn't trying to be rude, I'm sorry if it came off that way. I thought you confused Cam for Chase and nothing more malicious than that.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

baycat93 wrote:Choo, is there any grad transfers that we can bring in in case of injury/depth behind Ristic? Are they looking for this (I assume they expected chance to stay in)? I googled a list and there did not seem to be too many options.

Maybe:
Dylan Johns C CS-Northridge 6'11, 240 2.2 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 0.3 apg, .580 FG%, n/a 3pt%, 0.2 spg, 0.9 bpg
I haven't heard anything of that sort yet. I imagine they want to finalize the whole Jeter and Johnson/Bowen/Alkins situation and then decide if they don't feel comfortable with what they have. Truthfully I don't think they pursue anybody else and just roll with the post rotation that we currently have.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

F_cking nitwit. Jerrett Junior.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

ChooChooCat wrote:
BigSkyCatinMT wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
I think you mean Jeter.

I will never tell you what to think, but I will tell you that if Rawle Alkins does come back (unlikely mind you) then our percentage of getting Cam Johnson is 0%. He's more concerned with how many minutes are available on the wing than he ever will be with what's available at the 4, although you're not incorrect that he could possibly get some PT there in a smaller lineup. The post rotation as it stands with no Comanche is Ristic and Ayton starting with Pinder and Lee splitting the vast majority if not all of minutes available in the post from there.

I wasn't trying to be rude, I'm sorry if it came off that way. I thought you confused Cam for Chase and nothing more malicious than that.
No problem. I'm thinking that minutes are fluid when rotating players. No Chance (pun forced) Means minutes slide up. He, at 6'8 would be a combo forward in Millers positionless system...that didn't work out do to injury to Ray Smith, and Ferg going to Australia.

I know Rawle is the big piece here, but Chance does open up more time. Back to Jeter, not sure he's a piece I really want. Unless he gets fully healthy and stays that way.

Had Chance announced that he's staying in the draft a bit earlier, we would have stood a better chance of getting McCoy, but still unlikey with Ayton and Ristic.

Same thing every year...top few prospects choose early, knowing they will start from day 1. Most of the rest of the top 100 choose fairly early not expecting to be 1-done, with a cluster in the teens range wait til rosters shake out.
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

BigSkyCatinMT wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
BigSkyCatinMT wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
I think you mean Jeter.

No problem. I'm thinking that minutes are fluid when rotating players. No Chance (pun forced) Means minutes slide up. He, at 6'8 would be a combo forward in Millers positionless system...that didn't work out do to injury to Ray Smith, and Ferg going to Australia.

I know Rawle is the big piece here, but Chance does open up more time. Back to Jeter, not sure he's a piece I really want. Unless he gets fully healthy and stays that way.

Had Chance announced that he's staying in the draft a bit earlier, we would have stood a better chance of getting McCoy, but still unlikey with Ayton and Ristic.

Same thing every year...top few prospects choose early, knowing they will start from day 1. Most of the rest of the top 100 choose fairly early not expecting to be 1-done, with a cluster in the teens range wait til rosters shake out.
I gotcha and I agree. Chance announcing earlier wouldn't have helped with McCoy though, that decision was pretty much made once Ayton announced his commitment and was written in stone the second Ristic announced his return.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Cameron Rooks name was brought up by Brad Allis on the radio today. Brad said he had not heard anything but talked about maybe Rooks would be an ideal grad transfer.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

ChooChooCat wrote:
midnightx wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Rawle one and done...really didn't see that coming. He had a good season, sure, but he's a guy I thought we'd be able to keep for a while. If he somehow goes in the 1st round, well, good for him. If he's a 2nd rounder, he must just really dislike school.
He is a very good prospect, incredibly athletic, tough, has a developing offensive game, plays defense. The NBA draft is mostly about prospects instead of impact, NBA-ready players.

Too late to reel in Bowen?
What about Rawle Alkins is incredibly athletic exactly? Don't get me wrong I love a lot about the guy, but if he was remotely in the realm of incredibly athletic we wouldn't be discussing him going undrafted in this draft or 2nd round in the following draft.
Rawle is incredibly athletic. If you compare him to, say, me. But compared to your average NBA player? Nope. He's also a tweener who really struggled to create his own shot in college, so what is he going to bring in the league? If there's one thing that improves his chance of success it's his attitude. NBA GM's don't often draft on intangibles though.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

PennZona20 wrote: I watched enough of Pitt. He wasn't their best player. That would be Jamel Artis or Michael Young. They had two second tier players in Cam and Sheldon Jeter. Pitt stunk by the way. A lot of that was cohesion and chemistry though. Young and artis finished season suspended and the team had enough talent to make tourney.

As far as impact he will likely fall somewhere between Mark Lyons and Tollefson as far as contributions go.
You'll note I said 'statistically'. You can't make any argument that Artis or Young were more efficient. They both simply had much higher usage, or in other words: they're chuckers.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't we looking at a few options here now that chance is gone?

1. Add 3 players / 2 and keep Denny
2. If Rawle leaves, add 4 players/ 3 and keep Denny

Just by a scholarship standpoint, or if Rawle leaves, will we give the scholarship to a walk on?
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Really getting tough to keep the enthusiasm with the revolving door spinning faster and faster.

I'm sure we'll get great guys coming in. But they need a better facilitator.

As has been pointed out on other threads, it's hard to get excited for a Final Four at the other four positions when it's business as usual--now with LESS depth!--at point guard.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Kevin Knox just committed to Kentucky, so that pretty much eliminates them from the Cam Johnson recruitment.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:Kevin Knox just committed to Kentucky, so that pretty much eliminates them from the Cam Johnson recruitment.
The witch and the warlock are doing work this weekend.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

catgrad97 wrote:Really getting tough to keep the enthusiasm with the revolving door spinning faster and faster.

As has been pointed out on other threads, it's hard to get excited for a Final Four at the other four positions when it's business as usual--now with LESS depth!--at point guard.
Agree completely with catgrad97 here! The revolving door is rapidly decreasing my interest in these players, program, and college hoops overall. Sad.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:Really getting tough to keep the enthusiasm with the revolving door spinning faster and faster.

Agree completely with catgrad97 here! The revolving door is rapidly decreasing my interest in these players, program, and college hoops overall. Sad.
Something's gotta give with the age rule/scholarship requirement. I vehemently agree with your post from the other thread, BW, with respect to letting guys go straight to the pros if they wish and making scholarship players commit for at least 2 or 3 years.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:

Something's gotta give with the age rule/scholarship requirement. I vehemently agree with your post from the other thread, BW, with respect to letting guys go straight to the pros if they wish and making scholarship players commit for at least 2 or 3 years.
The NBA could care less if they're ruining college basketball. But with college hoops being diluted with early exits, it is NOT adding to my interest in the NBA. If fact, it's just the opposite. They should hold a draft like baseball for athletes out of high school. Otherwise, they need to stay in college 3 years. Comanche looks like Jerrett 2.0. It's sad that another Arizona player is foregoing his eligibility for the fools errand of playing in the NBA when they haven't even come close to proving themselves a really good college player.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Comanche could do pretty well in China or Europe in the coming years; same is probably true for Alkins.

Some of these guys really aren't into school, want to get paid sooner than later, and would prefer to work with pro trainers/coaches (even international ones) than hang out with Sean and Book for another year.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Of course. So is RA coming back then?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

So weird. If Bowen wanted to be a Wildcat, he'd have committed a while ago, it seems.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

84Cat wrote:Of course. So is RA coming back then?
Couple NBA teams have reached out to him per another thread. So I doubt it.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

This is shaping up to be rough lol
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Bowen's recruitment is a perfect example of how college basketball is viewed by many. Like it or not, Grant Jarett is right. College basketball is a pit stop for many players. It is frustrating and I am trying to adapt my mindset to accept college basketball for what it has become. However, I am not having any luck. The system is broken.

As selfish I am at times for knocking recruits decisions or players leaving early, I don't blame them for leaving trying to go get paid when millions are made on their backs.
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

Frybry02 wrote:Bowen's recruitment is a perfect example of how college basketball is viewed by many. Like it or not, Grant Jarett is right. College basketball is a pit stop for many players. It is frustrating and I am trying to adapt my mindset to accept college basketball for what it has become. However, I am not having any luck. The system is broken.

As selfish I am at times for knocking recruits decisions or players leaving early, I don't blame them for leaving trying to go get paid when millions are made on their backs.
Not going to defend the economics of NCAA basketball, but Grant Jerrett is hardly a shining example for leaving early.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

azcat34 wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:Bowen's recruitment is a perfect example of how college basketball is viewed by many. Like it or not, Grant Jarett is right. College basketball is a pit stop for many players. It is frustrating and I am trying to adapt my mindset to accept college basketball for what it has become. However, I am not having any luck. The system is broken.

Not going to defend the economics of NCAA basketball, but Grant Jerrett is hardly a shining example for leaving early.
Depending on how you look at it, GJ is the shining example of how many view college basketball.

ETA: GJ is probably doing ok with the average foreigner salary in China around 500K.
Last edited by Frybry02 on Mon May 08, 2017 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

GJ is the shining example of how a large portion of recruits view basketball and how they want it to go. They do not want to go to college at all
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

Frybry02 wrote:
azcat34 wrote:

Depending on how you look at it, GJ is the shining example of how many view college basketball.
And what's wrong with that? There are very few NBA spots, many players will make terrible decisions. But forcing them to stay in college makes no sense.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

azcat34 wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:
azcat34 wrote:

And what's wrong with that? There are very few NBA spots, many players will make terrible decisions. But forcing them to stay in college makes no sense.
I agree kids shouldn't be forced to stay in college.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

I honestly stopped paying attention to Bowens recruitment. He could go to Grand Canyon and it wouldn't surprise me
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

If we get neither Bowen nor Alkins, we'd better hope some of these transfers commit soon.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azcat34 wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:
azcat34 wrote:

I thought major college sports were built on the idea that players pretend to be interested in school while playing out an artificial restriction designed to keep them in school even if they'd rather be elsewhere?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

A lot of us have to pay our dues doing shit we don't want to do till we get to where we want to go. Fake it till you make it.

Oh the poor jocks.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:A lot of us have to pay our dues doing shit we don't want to do till we get to where we want to go. Fake it till you make it.

Oh the poor jocks.
Most of us don't work in careers where we're washed up at the age of 35. There just isn't a comparison between sports and a normal career. You're not ready to be a doctor at 20, but you can easily be an NBA all star at that age. You can work into your 70's as a lawyer. You're almost certainly not hitting 40 in the NBA.

I also don't really get the clamor for age restrictions on the following level. Guys like Kobi and Chance clearly didn't want to be here next year. As a fan, I don't get wanting them to be forced to stay by an age restriction. I don't get rooting for a team comprised of guys who don't really have much interest in being here, even more so than one and done naturally creates.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Lol. We're gonna lose big in all of this, I can just feel it.

I really hate being the negetive Nancy, but this offseason is more nerve racking than most.

And spiff, age has nothing to do with it, of course they are entirely different career paths. What if the player wants to go at 20 but objectively is no where near ready? I agree the OnD rule is stupid and if kids don't want to be here than they shouldn't. However its insane how incredible gifted athletically these players are without an ounce of sense on how to put themselves in the best position to win.

Call me a homer but I believe Arizona provides players a greater opportunity then playing shlubs in the d league. Chance would have more than a chance at a cup of coffee had he stayed and developed, but he clearly has those around him telling him otherwise. So, good luck kid, sorry you had to put up with playing at Arizona and Miller barking in your ear to play D.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I don't think CC will ever play I'm the league, even if he stayed 4 years here. 6'11" guy who can't defend the rim? Unless he is Channing Frye and we have not seen him stretch the floor I just don't see how he would make it.

If he gets in the D League or can go overseas then in his mind he made the right choice. Jarrett hated Miller, maybe CC does to
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:Lol. We're gonna lose big in all of this, I can just feel it.

I really hate being the negetive Nancy, but this offseason is more nerve racking than most.

And spiff, age has nothing to do with it, of course they are entirely different career paths. What if the player wants to go at 20 but objectively is no where near ready? I agree the OnD rule is stupid and if kids don't want to be here than they shouldn't. However its insane how incredible gifted athletically these players are without an ounce of sense on how to put themselves in the best position to win.

Call me a homer but I believe Arizona provides players a greater opportunity then playing shlubs in the d league. Chance would have more than a chance at a cup of coffee had he stayed and developed, but he clearly has those around him telling him otherwise. So, good luck kid, sorry you had to put up with playing at Arizona and Miller barking in your ear to play D.
Regular college students drop out. Is that a smart move? 20 year olds do stupid things.

I'm certainly not sure Chance's decision is the best, but normal 20 year olds get the choice to make good/bad decisions. There's no way for us to make the choices for them. I don't really see the base idea (we want to impose our own decisionmaking on players) as something that can transfer into the real world. Or, really, should transfer. Fans have their own agenda, and it isn't really for the player either.

This is what it has to be. Players decide because they are the ones in control of their lives and they have to live with the consequences. They don't all make good decisions, but that isn't mind blowing given the age demographic.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

We're about to find out if the Romar effect is indeed a thing.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

If you hate college, is playing basketball for money in Italy a bad thing?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:If you hate college, is playing basketball for money in Italy a bad thing?
Personally, I'd leap at that opportunity, and I liked college.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote:If you hate college, is playing basketball for money in Italy a bad thing?
Guess it just depends on what they pay these guys. If they make enough to live comfortably and enjoy themselves, then hell yes Italy would be appealing.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Guess it just depends on what they pay these guys. If they make enough to live comfortably and enjoy themselves, then hell yes Italy would be appealing.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/34715 ... ll-player/" target="_blank

Depends, but with some teams, you can make over a million per year or more. Not bad work if you can get it.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:A lot of us have to pay our dues doing shit we don't want to do till we get to where we want to go. Fake it till you make it.

Oh the poor jocks.
Most of us don't work in careers where we're washed up at the age of 35. There just isn't a comparison between sports and a normal career. You're not ready to be a doctor at 20, but you can easily be an NBA all star at that age. You can work into your 70's as a lawyer. You're almost certainly not hitting 40 in the NBA.

I also don't really get the clamor for age restrictions on the following level. Guys like Kobi and Chance clearly didn't want to be here next year. As a fan, I don't get wanting them to be forced to stay by an age restriction. I don't get rooting for a team comprised of guys who don't really have much interest in being here, even more so than one and done naturally creates.
College should insist on a three year minimum commitment or the player pays back all scholly money upon leaving. The NCAA should completely ignore the NBA and impose their own rules. If there's a gap where the one and done's can't play in either system, well that's the League's problem. They can change their rules to accomodate, or the kids can go out of the country.

The overall talent level will suffer in college, but the competition won't, and that's what's most important.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

Depends, but with some teams, you can make over a million per year or more. Not bad work if you can get it.
Over a million per to play basketball?? That's the best work in the world! Didn't realize the Euro contracts could be that big right from the start.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Puerco wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Oh the poor jocks.

College should insist on a three year minimum commitment or the player pays back all scholly money upon leaving. The NCAA should completely ignore the NBA and impose their own rules. If there's a gap where the one and done's can't play in either system, well that's the League's problem. They can change their rules to accomodate, or the kids can go out of the country.

The overall talent level will suffer in college, but the competition won't, and that's what's most important.
Agree. Stop letting the NBA dictate terms and impose your own, the talent pool in college will suffer either way, but at least you protect your product. If the NBA had its way college ball would go away in favor of the d league.

And I unabashedly admit that I am looking out for my own interest as a fan of college ball. I could give two shakes for the NBA.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

Dated a bit, but European teams used to pay American players $100K and give them a free apartment and car.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Puerco wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Oh the poor jocks.

Functionally, the NCAA can't because the only way it works is as a restriction upon entry. If the NBA doesn't care, what will the NCAA do about it?

Also, sorry for the soapbox, but it would be the height of hypocrisy to allow schools to terminate scholarships at any time for any reason and lock players in to three years. The school can kick a player out at any time, a coach can bail at any time, but players need to be forced to play 3?

I don't boo hoo over how bad it is for colleges. Arizona turned a 10 million profit on their basketball program. Players got none of that, but they're the selfish ones of they leave early? Colleges are more than happy with what they get from this bargain.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I don't boo hoo over how bad it is for colleges. Arizona turned a 10 million profit on their basketball program. Players got none of that, but they're the selfish ones of they leave early? Colleges are more than happy with what they get from this bargain.
Jay Bilas has been on this board the whole time and nobody told me? Big fan Jay, but I wish you'd lay off the "Whoa is me, I'm a poor college football/basketball player who has my full tuition paid for amongst other benefits and it's not enough, WAHHHHHH" schtick.

Before we get in a big discussion about this I completely back the NCAA doing the right thing and giving each player the ability to use their likeness for money while in school i.e. the Olympic model, but spare me the rest of it. It's not the NCAA's fault the NFL demands 3 years out of HS and the NBA demands 1.