let's talk '18

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

rgdeuce

Re: let's talk '18

Post by rgdeuce »

Williams' photoshop is the most hilarious shit I have seen all week. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:We just offered Elijah Weaver, top 50 rated PG. He can play off the ball too. I think Arizona just wants to avoid not having options at the PG spot like these last few years. Williams seems to be on board since he said he intends to help recruit Quentin Grimes.
It's not hard to play 2 pg's together. It might be an issue if both are too small to guard the 2, but if you can find two guys in the 6'1 to 6'3 range, that can work out fine. Like when UNC played Joel Berry and Marcus Paige together.
In this case Williams is 6'1 and Weaver is 6'5. Sounds like we didn't actually offer him, but we did reach out to him. Miller will watch him and decide if an offer is forthcoming.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:We just offered Elijah Weaver, top 50 rated PG. He can play off the ball too. I think Arizona just wants to avoid not having options at the PG spot like these last few years. Williams seems to be on board since he said he intends to help recruit Quentin Grimes.
It's not hard to play 2 pg's together. It might be an issue if both are too small to guard the 2, but if you can find two guys in the 6'1 to 6'3 range, that can work out fine. Like when UNC played Joel Berry and Marcus Paige together.
In this case Williams is 6'1 and Weaver is 6'5. Sounds like we didn't actually offer him, but we did reach out to him. Miller will watch him and decide if an offer is forthcoming.
This sounds vaguely like when we recruited Justin Simon as a "point guard" option, at least as far a height is concerned. Heck, the taller our other pg is, the better (for D) at least.

I have come to trust Miller to have multiple backup plans in recruiting, and it's nice to see it spilling into the pg realm.
gumby

Post by gumby »

If we get him, you heard it hear first: Elijah "Dream" Weaver.
Last edited by gumby on Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Right where I want to be.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

gumby wrote:If he get him, you heard it hear first: Elijah "Dream" Weaver.

He's got the Wright stuff.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

[youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWPKKH6OCaE[/youtube]
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

If he joins Taeshon "Cherry" Cherry and Marvin "Gaye" Bagley, we could make some sweet music.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
If he joins Taeshon "Cherry" Cherry and Marvin "Gaye" Bagley, we could make some sweet music.
Can we go with Taeshon "Neneh" Cherry?

Or for the harder rockers, Taeshon Cherry Pie?

If Elijah is not the best student, perhaps Elijah "Basket" Weaver? Or for the old guys, if he argues with the refs a lot, Elijah "Earl" Weaver?

Or we can just call Elijah "The Prophet"...no one will be offended, right?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Just as long as it isn't Taeshon Cassidy.

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EVCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Can we go with Taeshon "Neneh" Cherry?

Or for the harder rockers, Taeshon Cherry Pie?

If Elijah is not the best student, perhaps Elijah "Basket" Weaver? Or for the old guys, if he argues with the refs a lot, Elijah "Earl" Weaver?

Or we can just call Elijah "The Prophet"...no one will be offended, right?
If we're just interested in mediocre pop songs, there's Taeshon "Black Horse in a" Cherry ""Tree."

Weaver was covered, but I am always down with Biblical nicknames. I feel like we really missed the boat on Jesus Verdejo in that department.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Nazreon Reid final 7. 247 has UK at 50% but AZ is warm. 6'10" power forwards, ranked 11th overall

billk78

Post by billk78 »

Jefe wrote:Nazreon Reid final 7. 247 has UK at 50% but AZ is warm. 6'10" power forwards, ranked 11th overall

Hopefully he plays hoops better than he uses photoshop.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I was about to say, we are the best of the photoshops there, so does that mean we are in the lead?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Reid is a beast. Looks like an instant impact player.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote:Nazreon Reid final 7. 247 has UK at 50% but AZ is warm. 6'10" power forwards, ranked 11th overall

We appear to be in front. Of the picture.
Sean Olson

Post by Sean Olson »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

We appear to be in front. Of the picture.
He wanted to make sure the gradient jersey was fully visible
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Sevun
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

billk78 wrote:
Hopefully he plays hoops better than he uses photoshop.
We should start a graphic design business marketing exclusively to AAU ballers. They can pay me .5% of their future salary forever
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Put the chances for landing Reid at slim to none.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:Put the chances for landing Reid at slim to none.
Damn Choo, thanks for pissing on my Wheaties this morning ;-). Seriously though, glad you told me now before I bought into too much of the hype.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
Damn Choo, thanks for pissing on my Wheaties this morning ;-). Seriously though, glad you told me now before I bought into too much of the hype.
:lol: you already know the serious targets my man. Unless Arizona lands Bol Bol, he qualifies for school, then chooses to go to school I wouldn't waste your time thinking of any HS center recruit for this year.
Bangkok Wildcat

ChooChooCat wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
:lol: you already know the serious targets my man. Unless Arizona lands Bol Bol, he qualifies for school, then chooses to go to school I wouldn't waste your time thinking of any HS center recruit for this year.
You're right as you've told me before BUT in my defense, Miller is a Witch and it wouldn't surprise me to land a few out of the blue like he's done before....Back to my urine-soaked Wheaties......lol, I remember when Bruce Jenner used to be on the box!
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Anyone want to help a brother out and explain "Sevun?" I've been seeing this for years and still have no clue what it means.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

a curse
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Background/origin?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

rgdeuce wrote:Background/origin?
Jason Gardner's uncle wasn't happy with how Arizona treated Jason and said the program would be cursed for sevun years. It became a meme that has lasted longer than sevun years. I'm sure others have a better memory than me about more specific details.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

his name is UDug
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

How did AZ treat Gardner?
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

rgdeuce wrote:Anyone want to help a brother out and explain "Sevun?" I've been seeing this for years and still have no clue what it means.
From what I can recall, UDUG (Jason Gardener's uncle, UDUG was his screen name) did not like the way Gardner was treated and was bothered that Lute supposedly ran the offense through Walton. So he put a curse on the program for seven (SEVUN as he spelt it) years. Details of this curse were that UofA would not go to any final fours during that SEVUN year period.

He also followed up the curse by listing several African proverbs as posts. I think my favorite was something along the lines of "A fool is thirsty in the midst of water."
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

:lol: ok thank you for the explanations
gumby

Post by gumby »

Yeah, think his name was Don. Called Jason "The Shepherd of the Court." Had a website with that name. Along with the Walton stuff, he was none too pleased with posters, including Gershon and Hansen, saying Luke Ridnour was the top PG in the conference.

Then it became a thing to praise Ridnour just to get a rise out of him. I'm thinking he doesn't like the name Luke.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

My message board UofA obsession came just after the Sevun curse. The drama sessions (that I remember most) were Withey's mom, was it Buddinger's strength coach? & the Jerryd Bayless memes. Then of course the old site debacle...and a little later Arcadia Tavern, etc...

(edit - sorry about the hijack - wrong spot for sure)
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:My message board UofA obsession came just after the Sevun curse. The drama sessions (that I remember most) were Withey's mom, was it Buddinger's strength coach? & the Jerryd Bayless memes. Then of course the old site debacle...and a little later Arcadia Tavern, etc...

(edit - sorry about the hijack - wrong spot for sure)
Thanks for those, BD! What was the strength coach's name? He was a UCLA alumnus. He was so pro U of A that it rubbed Immel - an Arizona alumnus - the wrong way. Then he became Alex Jacobsen's strength coach, and got all sore about any discussions we had about the limitations of Jacobsen as a three-star recruit.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Trent Suzuki. Good times.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:Trent Suzuki. Good times.
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=89692" target="_blank

That gave me a laugh.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Dosia wrote:
http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=89692" target="_blank

That gave me a laugh.
Wow
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

I only met TS a couple of times. But in those instances, he strutted and talked as big as, as "Mystery Science Theater 3000" once described Pernell Roberts, a "balding cock-of-the-walk."

Worst part was that he was on the bench during games during the final Lute years as well as direct access to Budinger, Hill and other players in the S & C program. Lute trusted people at this time who, in retrospect, took advantage of him.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Taeshon Cherry will be announcing his commitment on June 30, but it sounds like it'll be to a school not named Arizona.
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

ChooChooCat wrote:Taeshon Cherry will be announcing his commitment on June 30, but it sounds like it'll be to a school not named Arizona.
heard it changed very recently from arizona, as well. must love southern california alot... ;)
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

A1RZONA wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Taeshon Cherry will be announcing his commitment on June 30, but it sounds like it'll be to a school not named Arizona.
heard it changed very recently from arizona, as well. must love southern california alot... ;)
Sucks.

At least he plays the wing position, which is a spot that players grow on trees. Arizona will land somebody capable.

Fwiw though it's always hard for me to stomach a guy that has real actual options choosing to play basketball at USC.
TFCATFAN

Post by TFCATFAN »

Longhorned wrote:
I never get why guys like this never get asked how they can be such great trainers and still look so out of shape. Its like Gene Simmons selling slim down videos for decades...dude, you're kinda flabby.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TFCATFAN wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
I never get why guys like this never get asked how they can be such great trainers and still look so out of shape. Its like Gene Simmons selling slim down videos for decades...dude, you're kinda flabby.
My bigger question would be why anyone is screwing around with an arm blasting workout if you're training for sports? Curls have exactly zero effect on athletic performance.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

That happens to a lot of body builders as they age (See Arnold, Ronnie Coleman, etc). Their metabolism slows down yet they still eat like they did in the youth, when it all turned into freakish muscle. They are still stronger and in better cardiovascular shape than most men.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
My bigger question would be why anyone is screwing around with an arm blasting workout if you're training for sports? Curls have exactly zero effect on athletic performance.
Worst case, you need biceps strength as a balance to your triceps, just like it is important to have a strong back to go with your barrel chest. You risk injury without that balance, and it is important for the health of the elbow too.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Worst case, you need biceps strength as a balance to your triceps, just like it is important to have a strong back to go with your barrel chest. You risk injury without that balance, and it is important for the health of the elbow too.
I'm probably dogmatic bc I do a fair amount of programming as a hobby, but for an athlete, I would never be programming a single joint movement for arms. Pullups with palms in will give plenty of biceps strength for athletic purposes while involving back and stability.

Like I said, I'm probably dogmatic, but I'd be going with pullups and close/neutral grip bench all day for an athlete. Curls and pressdowns are inefficient in terms of developing the muscles that will benefit an athlete.
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

ChooChooCat wrote:
A1RZONA wrote:
Sucks.

At least he plays the wing position, which is a spot that players grow on trees. Arizona will land somebody capable.

Fwiw though it's always hard for me to stomach a guy that has real actual options choosing to play basketball at USC.
right!?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Looking at his tweets it is all UA, UO, GU and SDSU fans. No USC fans in sight
Bangkok Wildcat

ChooChooCat wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Primary targets at the moment:

Shareef O'Neal (commit)
Brandon Williams (commit)
Marvin Bagley
Taeshon Cherry
Gerald Liddell
Quentin Grimes
Bol Bol
Nice list Choo, thanks! Care to add any probabilities to these names as well? I'm greedy ;-)

Thanks in advance, Bear Down.
Marvin Bagley - Arizona, UCLA, Kentucky, Overseas. Overseas is ahead of the pack by a wide margin at the moment. I think shoe companies will have a major impact on what his ultimate decision is.
Taeshon Cherry - Arizona, Oregon, USC, maybe A&M. Not sure on this one, he'd be a back up year one if Akot returns, which is likely IMO. Arizona was the first on him and he's real right with both O'Neal and Williams and loves Romar. I think we have the most working for us in this one, but it'll come down to his priority. Oregon probably has a starting spot available and he's tight with Miles Norris. We'll see.
Gerald Liddell - Born in Tucson and loves U of A. I think Arizona slowplays him a bit and sees how the Cherry recruitment evolves. I think if Arizona pushes for him we get him.
Quentin Grimes - He's from Texas. I never feel good about Texas kids unless they have ties to Arizona like Liddell. Uphill battle for sure, my money is on Kansas.
Bol Bol - Arizona, Kentucky, Overseas. Arizona in a good spot, but I have no idea if he can even get into college or if he prefers overseas or not.

It's still way early, no need to fret on any of this.
Bringing this up as things look to have changed from a few weeks ago......I noticed at the time that Quinnerly wasn't on your list but didn't bring it up:

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruitin ... oint-guard

With some rumors that Cherry isn't looking good for us, any thoughts or probabilities on Jahvon Quinnerly? Interesting quote from the article:

"... Quinerly doesn’t have any more visits lined up yet, though he said he’s working on it.

I’ve heard Miller is pushing hard to get a commitment from the five-star guard before any more visits occur.

Since Quinerly’s visit to Tucson, six Crystal Ball predictions project he’ll join the Arizona Wildcats......"