2017-2018 Arizona Basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Beachcat97

Re: 2017-2018 Arizona Basketball

Post by Beachcat97 »

I wouldn't trade AT, RA, and DA for any other trio of players in the nation.
SirClinks

Post by SirClinks »

Im really excited to see a sophmore Rawle. He is going to be a beast on both ends of the court.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

What you gonna do when he says goodbye?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

UAEebs86 wrote:What you gonna do when he says goodbye?
There goes next year's chances of a final 4.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

Cal Poly is an excellent school - in maybe my favorite part of California. That's saying something. Good for him.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

UAEebs86 wrote:What you gonna do when he says goodbye?
Whatcha gonna do when he is gone?
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Arizona basketball: First look at Wildcats’ 2017 freshman class

We got a taste of what the new guys look like in the proper threads
by Ryan Kelapire@RKelapire Jul 22, 2017, 8:01am PDT

There is a lot of hype surrounding the Arizona Wildcats’ 2017 freshman class, and Friday we got to see the first look of them in red and blue, as the team had its photo day.

Take a look:
https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... -akot-rank" target="_blank
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

God I despise our uniforms, just absolutely loathe their very existence.

If it ain't fricken broke and as a matter of fact are pure perfection you have zero reason to "fix it."
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

ChooChooCat wrote:God I despise our uniforms, just absolutely loathe their very existence.

If it ain't fricken broke and as a matter of fact are pure perfection you have zero reason to "fix it."
That's not how the world of uniforms and recruiting works unfortunately.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

You need to develop an appreciation of these uniforms, which are better than our previous classic look if you just accept the advantages of one feature:

They have color gradients. That way, you don't have to try to remember how red can gradually change to blue, and you don't have to wait for rain to see rainbows. Plus, the disappearance of the main color at the shoulder and above the knee gives the effect of wearing a barrel around one's middle.

Think about the designer who must have blown the minds of everyone in the office when he came up with the idea.

Last edited by Longhorned on Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:God I despise our uniforms, just absolutely loathe their very existence.

I had the same reaction to the "proper threads" portion of the article above. Those uniforms really suck.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:

Tell that to Kentucky, Duke, or UNC.

We weren't exactly suffering in recruiting with our T.J. McConnell era unis to say the least.

Honestly I could give a crap less about our football uniforms as the uniforms reflect the quality of the program, but when you have a high level program with a traditional look that is flawless you don't mess with it for the sake of it.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:

We weren't exactly suffering in recruiting with our T.J. McConnell era unis to say the least.

Honestly I could give a crap less about our football uniforms as the uniforms reflect the quality of the program, but when you have a high level program with a traditional look that is flawless you don't mess with it for the sake of it.
Kentucky is actually a good example. They've changed over the years, but nothing drastic and generally pretty understated stuff.

The gradient wouldn't be so offensive if red and blue weren't two contrasting primary colors. It isn't like one naturally can fade into another. So, you wind up with the weird, blocky gradient that swings from one extreme to another.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:

Those schools have won titles and made final fours lately.

Arizona has an amazing basketball program but hasn't done enough to be able to dictate to Nike how things are going to go.

With that said and the awful payouts per year from Nike, Arizona should absolutely consider moving to Under Armor.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:

Arizona has an amazing basketball program but hasn't done enough to be able to dictate to Nike how things are going to go.

With that said and the awful payouts per year from Nike, Arizona should absolutely consider moving to Under Armor.
Spare me the titles and final fours argument. It's a BRAND thing. Arizona is Nike's predominant brand on the west coast unless you consider Gonzaga, whose uniforms haven't been repeatedly messed with for no good reason, their new west coast brand.

As far as UnderArmour goes, Arizona is in a tough spot in that regards. It's predominant rivals on the west coast are UnderArmour and Adidas schools now. To even things in that regard Arizona's hands may be tied to stick with Nike.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:

Kentucky is actually a good example. They've changed over the years, but nothing drastic and generally pretty understated stuff.

The gradient wouldn't be so offensive if red and blue weren't two contrasting primary colors. It isn't like one naturally can fade into another. So, you wind up with the weird, blocky gradient that swings from one extreme to another.
The gradient is offensive no matter what simply due to the fact it replaced these uniforms, which didn't need to be replaced at all, considering they were active for a total of 2 seasons.

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

How much influence do the coaches have with our uniforms? Maybe fans could get Miller to advocate for more traditional uni's

I'm sure Nike considers Oregon to be there predominant brand on the west coast no matter how you want to spin it
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

84Cat wrote:How much influence do the coaches have with our uniforms? Maybe fans could get Miller to advocate for more traditional uni's

I'm sure Nike considers Oregon to be there predominant brand on the west coast no matter how you want to spin it
It depends who sells the best for them. I feel pretty confident it sure as hell ain't Oregon.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

No doubt, looking at UNC, KU, Duke & UK have the best situation. We don't need these "trendy" uni's to get the top recruits.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:

Spare me the titles and final fours argument. It's a BRAND thing. Arizona is Nike's predominant brand on the west coast unless you consider Gonzaga, whose uniforms haven't been repeatedly messed with for no good reason, their new west coast brand.

As far as UnderArmour goes, Arizona is in a tough spot in that regards. It's predominant rivals on the west coast are UnderArmour and Adidas schools now. To even things in that regard Arizona's hands may be tied to stick with Nike.
Such a BRAND that U of A is compensated at the same level per year as Oregon State and below Utah.

Yes currently U of A Basketball is the biggest BRAND west of the Rockies and second biggest overall, but it isn't a big enough one to warrant the prestige of the Kentucky North Carolina Duke Kansas on a national level to where major changes to uniforms besides special games are unacceptable to average college basketball fans like those schools mentioned and USC, Penn State, Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan etc in football.

I am flat out embarrassed that U of A has a deal with Nike on par with Oregon State and below Utah. Under Armor would pay at least 5 Million a year to U of A and would be more likely to go back to traditional uniforms for basketball. Twice as much money, good tie in with U of A and UA and everything else UA brings sounds like a win win. Just because asu is with Adidas and UCLA and Utah are UA does not mean that Arizona can't ditch Nike.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

asu makes almost twice as much as U of A on their apperal contract, awful
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Arizona has nobody, but itself and it's lackluster football program and its support to blame for accepting that Nike deal. I will never argue with you about that. Another lasting legacy of the Byrne era.

In regards to ASU, I don't know why Adidas wanted it outside of the size of market maybe, but both Adidas and UA have to grossly overbid to land schools, otherwise most would sign with Nike. There's a reason they only have a small group of schools.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat wrote:Arizona has nobody, but itself and it's lackluster football program and its support to blame for accepting that Nike deal. I will never argue with you about that. Another lasting legacy of the Byrne era.

In regards to ASU, I don't know why Adidas wanted it outside of the size of market maybe, but both Adidas and UA have to grossly overbid to land schools, otherwise most would sign with Nike. There's a reason they only have a small group of schools.
UA is getting more and more though.

Nike has the best shoes, I get that also, but at what dollar point does it make sense to switch. When you are Arizona and you make less than Utah or Oregon State, I think it is worth it.

Agree, biggest failure on Byrne's tenure assuming he is all good in the track and field situation is this Nike deal.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:asu makes almost twice as much as U of A on their apperal contract, awful
Adidas pays more, because they have to. Phoenix is a larger population, and football is (still) king.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:asu makes almost twice as much as U of A on their apperal contract, awful
Adidas pays more, because they have to. Phoenix is a larger population, and football is (still) king.
Arizona is a bigger brand in every sport compared to Oregon State except maybe baseball right now, so why does Arizona get the same as Oregon State?

Corvallis metro is 87k people to Tucson's 1 Million. Why not a huge difference then with that logic.

if you are not around the asu campus, the difference between asu and U of A is not big at all in the Phoenix area
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Let me ask you this then since you seem to think Adidas overpaying is a bad thing by the way you say "because they have to". How many less wins would Arizona have in football and basketball the last two years (since the renewal of the Nike deal going into effect) if they had Under Armor and not Nike?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Arizona is a bigger brand in every sport compared to Oregon State except maybe baseball right now, so why does Arizona get the same as Oregon State?

Corvallis metro is 87k people to Tucson's 1 Million. Why not a huge difference then with that logic.

if you are not around the asu campus, the difference between asu and U of A is not big at all in the Phoenix area
He's certainly just pointing out why ASU got paid by Adidas. I think it was a dumb decision for Adidas to even pursue ASU, but market size is why they were targeted. Obviously Adidas wasn't going to pursue Oregon State because they lack a market size, are dwarfed by their rivals in every sport, and aren't worth a large investment.

Honestly Arizona took a damn discount to stick with Nike, I totally agree with you there. I know for a fact that Sean Miller wanted Nike and his influence is probably why we settled among other reasons like the reasons I pointed out.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

He's certainly just pointing out why ASU got paid by Adidas. I think it was a dumb decision for Adidas to even pursue ASU, but market size is why they were targeted. Obviously Adidas wasn't going to pursue Oregon State because they lack a market size, are dwarfed by their rivals in every sport, and aren't worth a large investment.

Honestly Arizona took a damn discount to stick with Nike, I totally agree with you there. I know for a fact that Sean Miller wanted Nike and his influence is probably why we settled among other reasons like the reasons I pointed out.
For merchandise, selling sidewalk fans is a huge deal. There are a lot more sidewalk fans in Phoenix.

Basketball wise, Nike matters. Shoe companies have influence, and is it a shocker that a lot of our major recruits are out of the Nike system? Ayton, Williams, O'Neal and (maybe) Bol are Cal Supreme Elite in the Nike system. Any coincidence they are our major recruits and targets?

I'm sure that's why Miller wants it. If we switched, would that hamper recruiting? Do I really want to find out?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

That's a bad comparison.

-Oregon is clearly dominant in that state.
-Oregon and OSU are both Nike.
-Phil Knight is invested in Oregon.

Frankly, Arizona and ASU lack the dominant relationship. We're dominant in basketball. Football-wise, I think most people would rate us lower than ASU.

Look at the # of Nike schools vs Adidas. Adidas was shelling out huge $ for Michigan, and does for other schools. Look at the top ten and how many Adidas schools are there vs overall proportion.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.busine ... cts-2015-9" target="_blank
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

If Miller wants it that is a good enough reason for me.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: I'm sure that's why Miller wants it. If we switched, would that hamper recruiting? Do I really want to find out?
Lol the 2015 and 2016 classes cracked me up because most of our commits were Adidas or Underarmour guys. Trier was legitimately our only Nike guy out of all the guys in those classes.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote: I'm sure that's why Miller wants it. If we switched, would that hamper recruiting? Do I really want to find out?
Lol the 2015 and 2016 classes cracked me up because most of our commits were Adidas or Underarmour guys. Trier was legitimately our only Nike guy out of all the guys in those classes.
It seems like there's been a shift. Compton Magic is Adidas, but right around the Leaf decommit, it seemd like things changed.

I'm not super plugged in, but it sure seems like things have gotten more stratified.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
It seems like there's been a shift. Compton Magic is Adidas, but right around the Leaf decommit, it seemd like things changed.

I'm not super plugged in, but it sure seems like things have gotten more stratified.
Oh you're totally right, things have switched around and Arizona is predominantly landing Nike guys now. It was just an odd period of time where we were still recruiting well, but our guys were coming from other shoe company AAU programs.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

I'm so fuckin excited for this season man
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Damn, Chase is tall
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

All our incoming guys , save Alex , look like grown men who can play thru contact. This year is gonna be fun.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

84Cat wrote:Damn, Chase is tall
PJC is ...... not.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

4. Ayton
5. Trier
30. Rawle
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote: 4. Ayton
5. Trier
30. Rawle
I think Rawle gets underrated. I see him as being close to Trier in terms of his overall production, just maybe not with as gaudy scoring numbers.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

This comes up every couple years and never quite happens, but 18-0 in the Pac looks attainable.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

I'd put Zo and Ayton over Diallo but I guess it's hard to complain too much when you have 2 in the top 5
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:This comes up every couple years and never quite happens, but 18-0 in the Pac looks attainable.
I care so much more about a Final Four. So much more.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:This comes up every couple years and never quite happens, but 18-0 in the Pac looks attainable.
That goes without saying. I was just pointing out the great potential of this team.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
That goes without saying. I was just pointing out the great potential of this team.
I've just stopped measuring potential by the Pac. Where we are, it's pretty much that we either finish top two in the Pac or it's a disappointing season.

Miller has proven as many times as he can that he can dominate the Pac. The tourney is the unknown.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I've just stopped measuring potential by the Pac. Where we are, it's pretty much that we either finish top two in the Pac or it's a disappointing season.

Miller has proven as many times as he can that he can dominate the Pac. The tourney is the unknown.
And the biggest crapshoot.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Main Event wrote:I'd put Zo and Ayton over Diallo but I guess it's hard to complain too much when you have 2 in the top 5
Hard for me to put a guy who is pretty much an elite athlete and an ok basketball player over two better basketball players. I wouldn't even have Diallo top 15.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote: I care so much more about a Final Four. So much more.

And the biggest crapshoot.
True. It's the only area where I feel like we have something left to prove, though.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Hey beachcat, how's your mom? :)
jsbowl16

Post by jsbowl16 »

I am not sure what the rules are for broadcasting overseas games but has anyone heard if there will be any sort of webcasts of the games in Spain?