Deandre Ayton

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Beachcat97

Re: DeAndre Ayton

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Senior year top plays:

https://youtu.be/ZArh3laqI24" target="_blank
Wow. So freaking quick getting up and down the floor. And he jumps so high that it looks like the rim is 9 feet.

We're getting a special player.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:

Wow. So freaking quick getting up and down the floor. And he jumps so high that it looks like the rim is 9 feet.

His motor really is the only question. He has a fantastic skill set for someone still learning basketball. He's very fast and agile for his size, and as he fills out, he has a strong frame. His footwork needs some sharpening, but he's young and still developing.

If he consistently flashes intensity and focus, he will be extraordinarily good.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

His motor really is the only question. He has a fantastic skill set for someone still learning basketball. He's very fast and agile for his size, and as he fills out, he has a strong frame. His footwork needs some sharpening, but he's young and still developing.

If he consistently flashes intensity and focus, he will be extraordinarily good.
I think it's going to help him, too, having so many seasoned returning players around him. He won't, nor will need to be, the focal point of our offense. Defense is a different story, as we'll definitely need him protecting the rim and clogging the lane, while staying out of foul trouble. Still, though, he's joining a team with a group of established players, and his challenges will be getting in shape, learning the pack line, hitting FTs consistently (because he's going to get fouled a lot), and learning how to play big minutes without picking up fouls.

Between the guidance of our coaching staff and his elder teammates, DA's going to thrive in his one college season.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

I think it's going to help him, too, having so many seasoned returning players around him. He won't, nor will need to be, the focal point of our offense. Defense is a different story, as we'll definitely need him protecting the rim and clogging the lane, while staying out of foul trouble. Still, though, he's joining a team with a group of established players, and his challenges will be getting in shape, learning the pack line, hitting FTs consistently (because he's going to get fouled a lot), and learning how to play big minutes without picking up fouls.

Between the guidance of our coaching staff and his elder teammates, DA's going to thrive in his one college season.
I think it will help him to face better competition on a nightly basis. In HS, he probably could take a bunch of nights off and still put up huge numbers. Now, he has to face competition that can actually outplay him.

Plus, we have other options. If Ayton isn't producing, we can play Dusan and Pinder/Lee/Akot. In HS, I'm fairly certain DeAndre would play regardless. Miller has shown that he's not afraid to sit a 5 star if needed (Stanley). This will be the first time DeAndre has to produce.
prh

Post by prh »

Didn't we have this exact same concern about Stanley, about his motor and whether he'd coast? I may be thinking of someone else. For the most part, I think we were pleased with how it worked out with SJ, hopefully we will with Ayton too.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

prh wrote:Didn't we have this exact same concern about Stanley, about his motor and whether he'd coast? I may be thinking of someone else. For the most part, I think we were pleased with how it worked out with SJ, hopefully we will with Ayton too.
Part of the reason I don't freak out a ton is that motor is probably a concern for 50% of the top players. A guy like Ayton can utterly dominate HS comp going 75%. We got spoiled with AG and RHJ, who were big time prospects that just played hard as a matter of course. Most top guys are a lot closer to Ayton.

SJ had Miller check his work ethic a few times. It would not shock me to see the same happen with Ayton. It did work out fine with Stanley, and I'm not super freaked with Ayton. If he's no showing in January...I'll get concerned then. Until then, it's a process, and I think this is an area Miller has done very well in.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

DA is going to wreak havoc in the Pac. Can't wait.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

Jefe wrote:Image
this is ridiculous
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Possibly most athletic big man ever at AZ?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Ayton runs and jumps like a 6'6 guy, but he's 7'0.

He's the type of player that would still be able to play at a high level if you cut 6-8 inches off of him, like Durant. I remember the term "unicorn" being thrown around. Ayton has unicorn ability.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Ayton runs and jumps like a 6'6 guy, but he's 7'0.

He's the type of player that would still be able to play at a high level if you cut 6-8 inches off of him, like Durant. I remember the term "unicorn" being thrown around. Ayton has unicorn ability.
That's high praise.

Do you expect him to make an impact as an outside shooter as well, SS? I've seen the footage of him hitting from 15 to 20 feet, which is exciting, but I also know he's being guarded by guys half his size.

Ristic is obviously slower than Ayton and is mainly a back-to-the-basket guy, sort of a throwback big man really. Ayton, though, seems like he can operate from the wing or the post.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Ayton runs and jumps like a 6'6 guy, but he's 7'0.

That's high praise.

Do you expect him to make an impact as an outside shooter as well, SS? I've seen the footage of him hitting from 15 to 20 feet, which is exciting, but I also know he's being guarded by guys half his size.

Ristic is obviously slower than Ayton and is mainly a back-to-the-basket guy, sort of a throwback big man really. Ayton, though, seems like he can operate from the wing or the post.
Ayton likes to shoot the J. He is a decent shooter, so I think he will be serviceable.

That said, I think Miller will push him to attack the rim and use his size and athleticism. One of my "motor" like criticisms of Ayton is that he settles on offense too much. Yes, he can shoot, but when you are 7'0, strong, fast and bouncy, Plan A should be to get to the rim and ram it down people's throats.

Ayton didn't always attack in HS. He needs to attack in college. The J's will always be there.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Ayton didn't always attack in HS. He needs to attack in college. The J's will always be there.
Absolutely. A guy with his size and athleticism should be getting most of his points in the paint. I hope he subscribes to the "nastiness is required" adage.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The biggest question is how Ayton will deal with the fickle fuckery of PAC-12 refs.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Chicat wrote:The biggest question is how Ayton will deal with the fickle fuckery of PAC-12 refs.
WTH? Next thing you'll be saying is that 'he touched the ball!'....good grief, PAC 12 Refs are the class and consistently best quality refs of the whole NCAA! ;-)
gumby

Post by gumby »

Unicorn because it's unreal?
Right where I want to be.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

I think Porter and Ayton are def 1/2. I love Bamba and he's gonna lead the NBA in blocked shots a few times but I just don't think he's ever going to be the offensive force that those two are.

I can see the arguments for Porter though. He's a monster.

And whichever ranking has Sexton at 3 over Ayton was a joke.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PennZona20 wrote:I think Porter and Ayton are def 1/2. I love Bamba and he's gonna lead the NBA in blocked shots a few times but I just don't think he's ever going to be the offensive force that those two are.

I can see the arguments for Porter though. He's a monster.

And whichever ranking has Sexton at 3 over Ayton was a joke.
There are a lot of great propects in this class. Hopefully Ayton sets himself apart from Porter, Bamba and Sexton with a national championship.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Jefe wrote:Put your tiny hand in mine?

I see that, and all it reminds me of is Shaq trying to make a free throw with his huge mitts on that tiny softball size basketball.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

'Once-in-a-generation' talent DeAndre Ayton could take Arizona Wildcats to next level

By Zack Rosenblatt Arizona Daily Star Aug 1, 2017 Updated 1 hr ago

However, Miller has never reeled in a recruit quite like Ayton. The talented big has long been projected as a top-five pick in the upcoming NBA Draft, as high as No. 1. Scout.com recently altered its rankings for 2017 — which is rare — to make Ayton the No. 1 recruit in the incoming freshman class. Ayton uniquely has already declared he’ll only be in college for one season before leaving for the NBA. He committed to the Wildcats early, too, in September 2016 over Kansas and Kentucky, who rarely lose recruiting battles to anyone.

I was just ready to become a Wildcat,” Ayton told the Star at the time. “I didn’t want to make too many dramas.”

The value: Ayton is a program-changing talent with the ability to become an All-American in his first season. With Allonzo Trier and Rawle Alkins back in the fold, the Wildcats could compete for their second national championship.

He’s obsessed with being a great player and because of that I think his future is incredibly bright,” Miller said after Ayton officially signed his letter of intent. “We’re all looking forward to providing him an environment where he can grow and also give our team and recruiting class that special player who can go inside and out.”

Coachspeak: “I’m not gonna sugarcoat it: he’s one of these once-in-a-generation types of players. He is big, 7 foot, and the fact that he hasn’t lifted weights is astonishing to me. When you look at him and shake his hand he has a physical presence as a young person that you don’t often see. One thing I’m really excited about is to get him with us and plug him into our strength and conditioning program and I think his body will change in a big, big way.” — Miller

He said it: “To me, I’m glad I committed to U of A, man. So glad. If I had committed to the others, I think I would have been mad because I didn’t want to leave my family … and with a coach like Coach Miller, we can make history. I really intend to give him his first Final Four. And I think I can really change the college game.” — Ayton 8-)

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... 6ce95.html" target="_blank
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Coach: Ayton is a little over 7' and 260lbs right now. He's never seen anybody like him at his age and maybe never will again

ESPN had him at 220lbs, 247 had him at 250
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote:Coach: Ayton is a little over 7' and 260lbs right now. He's never seen anybody like him at his age and maybe never will again

Ayton has a big strong frame. If he truly has never lifted weights, he has an insane amount of growth potential.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Jefe wrote:Coach: Ayton is a little over 7' and 260lbs right now. He's never seen anybody like him at his age and maybe never will again

Ayton has a big strong frame. If he truly has never lifted weights, he has an insane amount of growth potential.
I've heard multiple scouts compare him to David Robinson.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I've heard multiple scouts compare him to David Robinson.
I prefer a less breaky, more agile Greg Oden.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

He reminds me of pre-Spurs Lamarcus Aldridge.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Aldridge, Oden, The Admiral...these are all very flattering comparisons. Here's hoping he ends up being the best big man to every play at AZ.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Rawle compared him to Joel Embiid. Inside / outside scoring, confidence, rim protection. Similar height, weight, hands, wingspan, standing reach.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:Rawle compared him to Joel Embiid. Inside / outside scoring, confidence, rim protection. Similar height, weight, hands, wingspan, standing reach.
That's not a bad one either. My Oden comp was physical only bc Ayton is more skilled. Embiid was skinnier at KU, and Ayton is more like a finished product Embiid physically.

Bottom line, Ayton has elite physical qualities. Not just NCAA elite, NBA elite.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Just a FYI if you were hoping to see him play in Spain I wouldn't get your hopes up unless something changes in the next couple of days, which is doubtful. He was cleared to travel to Spain though fwiw.
Zero

Post by Zero »

Injury?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Sounds more like he's not cleared by the NCAA yet.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

UAEebs86 wrote:Sounds more like he's not cleared by the NCAA yet.
Yep.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Yep.
Here we go again?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Alieberman wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Yep.
Here we go again?
Sigh.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Smh.
loomer

Post by loomer »

Time to worry?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

This has been known for a while (potential clearing issues).

I would not be worried as I have a hard time believing Miller did not do the proper due diligence.

Him not playing a couple games in Spain won't be an issue when the regular season comes around.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Figures

It was going too perfect
Last edited by NYCat on Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I thought it was well known Hillcrest was shady.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

PHXCATS wrote:This has been known for a while (potential clearing issues).

I would not be worried as I have a hard time believing Miller did not do the proper due diligence.

Him not playing a couple games in Spain won't be an issue when the regular season comes around.
So if this has been know for a while, what is the specific issue that is being addressed? Booze? Grades? Quasi banned substances? NCAA wanna keep uofa down?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote:I thought it was well known Hillcrest was shady.
He's been academically cleared. This has nothing to do with any school.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:I thought it was well known Hillcrest was shady.
He's been academically cleared. This has nothing to do with any school.
What is it about then?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

improper benefits?
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

"extra" benefits? whatever that might mean? got his lunch paid for by the wrong person?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Godammit
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Get Premium
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I honestly don't know, I'm not as close to this one as I was the Zo situation. All I know is it's not academics or drugs. I legitimately probably won't hear anything else outside of when/if he's cleared. Figured I'd let you guys know now instead of being blindsided after spending $30 to watch the Spain games.
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

Hopefully its nothing serious. Jesus