let's talk '18

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Beachcat97

Re: let's talk '18

Post by Beachcat97 »

Well, it would be amazing to start the fall with a commitment from Little and/or Bol.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Our expert panel was given the list of Barrett’s five finalists and asked to rank the star player’s three most likely landing spots, in order. Those answers were tallied up to form a consensus ranking of the favorites in Barrett’s recruitment.
4. Arizona: The Wildcats showed up on only two of five ballots, but they were the second choice on both of those. Arizona freshman Emmanuel Akot played alongside Barrett on last year’s Team Canada U17 squad that traveled to Spain, and the Wildcats currently have the No. 1 recruiting class nationally for 2018. Barrett will be in Tucson for an official visit Sept. 21
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I continue to have a hard time believing we'll get a commitment from a wing with so many on the roster (or coming). Smith, Randolph, Akot, O'Neal... Maybe a top recruit holds out to see if one of Randolph / Akot goes to the NBA or one of the three (Smith?) leaves via transfer. Maybe it happens. Akot committed knowing we had the above plus Alkins and Trier so I guess anything is possible.

In the post we have a major question mark and by God I hope Bol Bol answers it.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I doubt Smith will have any impact whatsoever on any wing recruit ever. O'Neal may think he's a wing, but he's a 4, so that's a non-issue as well. Your point on Randolph/Akot being in the way is valid, but Barrett would start over anyone though. The Little recruitment would be the one most likely impacted by those two still being on roster next year. He'd still be the first wing off the bench if he committed next year at the very worst.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:I doubt Smith will have any impact whatsoever on any wing recruit ever. O'Neal may think he's a wing, but he's a 4, so that's a non-issue as well. Your point on Randolph/Akot being in the way is valid, but Barrett would start over anyone though. The Little recruitment would be the one most likely impacted by those two still being on roster next year. He'd still be the first wing off the bench if he committed next year at the very worst.
Agreed. My point (which you also make) is that it would take a recruit of Barrett's talent to expect to take the reins from Randolph / Akot (unless one leaves to the NBA).

Regarding O'Neal... he feels like a wing to me. I know he's supposed to be a PF but he likes to shoot from the perimeter and slash to the basket... feels like a wing / combo forward. 6'8" with a 7'0" wingspan and... scrawny. He's got the body of Paul George or Danny Granger. We'll see what Coach and Chris Rounds have to say about it I suppose. He'll probably play little to no SF for the Cats so I suppose it's moot, but I wouldn't hate a line-up that included O'Neal, Lee, and Bol in the front court.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:I doubt Smith will have any impact whatsoever on any wing recruit ever. O'Neal may think he's a wing, but he's a 4, so that's a non-issue as well. Your point on Randolph/Akot being in the way is valid, but Barrett would start over anyone though. The Little recruitment would be the one most likely impacted by those two still being on roster next year. He'd still be the first wing off the bench if he committed next year at the very worst.
Agreed. My point (which you also make) is that it would take a recruit of Barrett's talent to expect to take the reins from Randolph / Akot (unless one leaves to the NBA).

Regarding O'Neal... he feels like a wing to me. I know he's supposed to be a PF but he likes to shoot from the perimeter and slash to the basket... feels like a wing / combo forward. 6'8" with a 7'0" wingspan and... scrawny. He's got the body of Paul George or Danny Granger. We'll see what Coach and Chris Rounds have to say about it I suppose. He'll probably play little to no SF for the Cats so I suppose it's moot, but I wouldn't hate a line-up that included O'Neal, Lee, and Bol in the front court.
My take is you are the position that you can defend. That obviously may make someone multiple positions. I agree that his offensive game fits that of a 3 man, but he can't defend a 3 from what I've seen. He's the perfect mold of a face up 4 man and there's certainly nothing wrong with that. I will submit that if we're playing a little sister of the poor university then him as a 3 is more than fine though.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:

Dunno. Shareef seems like a stretch 4, Brandon Ashley type to me. The older he gets and the more he fills out, the more I think that. Being a good shooter is a bonus, particularly in Miller system, where there is a lot of action with a single post and 4 out.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:

Dunno. Shareef seems like a stretch 4, Brandon Ashley type to me. The older he gets and the more he fills out, the more I think that. Being a good shooter is a bonus, particularly in Miller system, where there is a lot of action with a single post and 4 out.
Agreed. I see shareef and I see a lot of Brandon Ashley in his game. I think he's quicker and more agile but not quite the same wingspan. Obviously his toughness and effort and consistency and drive are all things yet to be seen.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

ChooChooCat wrote: I think one of Duke/Kentucky gets Reddish and Barrett.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

NYCat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote: I think one of Duke/Kentucky gets Reddish and Barrett.
It's been Duke since forever.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

It's possible Duke could get both Reddish and Barrett and boy would that fricken blow.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:It's possible Duke could get both Reddish and Barrett and boy would that fricken blow.
I wonder if Gary Trent Jr. can be a one and done and if that question will impact the thoughts of two top five wing recruits potentially looking at another top five recruited with a year under his belt at wing.

Trent Jr. will likely deserve starter's minutes at Duke this year... but I wonder if he'll get the starting nod or come in as the primary back-up wing for when Allen moves to PG to back-up Duval. Even if he starts, there's a lot of scorers on that team between Duval, Allen, and Bagley. Unsure if he can get the shots needed to show his full potential.

I've assumed Duke would get Reddish and Barrett as well but didn't think through the implications (above) until today.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:It's possible Duke could get both Reddish and Barrett and boy would that fricken blow.
I wonder if Gary Trent Jr. can be a one and done and if that question will impact the thoughts of two top five wing recruits potentially looking at another top five recruited with a year under his belt at wing.

Trent Jr. will likely deserve starter's minutes at Duke this year... but I wonder if he'll get the starting nod or come in as the primary back-up wing for when Allen moves to PG to back-up Duval. Even if he starts, there's a lot of scorers on that team between Duval, Allen, and Bagley. Unsure if he can get the shots needed to show his full potential.

I've assumed Duke would get Reddish and Barrett as well but didn't think through the implications (above) until today.
I think that's the plan either way or at least that's the plan Duke is pushing to Barrett. I'm pretty sure Trent is your starting 3 man at Duke this year as I can't see Tucker, O'Connell, or White starting over him, so that'd give that dream hope.

I always thought Duke/Kentucky would get one of Reddish/Barrett, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if K pulls it off and gets both. All I know is we're going to be Little's last visit. He won't waste his time and go on that Duke visit. Them landing at least Reddish was always expected, so including Duke was always just fluff for him.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

NYCat wrote: 1. Barrett
3. Bol
5. Little
19. Reid
22. Quinerly
27. O'Neal
51. Williams

@MattNorlander Aug 9, 2017 • 1 min read

Quinerly is a natural playmaker and a humble-minded kid on the floor and off. He could be a spectacular two-year option for Miller at the point, depending on how his college career goes. He'll be a pass-first player, and someone with Miller's confidence to run an offense right away. He was a standout in mid-July at Under Armour's All-America Camp, playing with some really good 2018 recruits.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... -quinerly/" target="_blank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bScWSUn1BsQ" target="_blank

Quinerly sounds like a perfect fit for Arizona. Pass first, high IQ, looks he's pretty smooth around the paint....scores with ease. I'm thinking he's going to be big time. (what do I know..) 8-)
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

NYCat wrote: 1. Barrett
3. Bol
5. Little
19. Reid
22. Quinerly
27. O'Neal
51. Williams
http://247sports.com/Season/2018-Basket ... HighSchool" target="_blank

Updated 247 rankings:

2. Barrett
4. Bol
7. Little
14. Quinerly
20. Williams
24. Reid
44. Shareef

Every recruiting service has updated their rankings, now the updated 247 composite rankings:

http://247sports.com/Season/2018-Basket ... HighSchool" target="_blank

1. Barrett
3. Bol
11. Reid
16. Quinerly
17. Little
33. Shareef
39. Williams
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Quinerly makes the game look easy.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

There seems to be some disagreement on BW's ranking. 247 has him much higher than other services.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:There seems to be some disagreement on BW's ranking. 247 has him much higher than other services.
And Little and O'Neal. A lot of the rankings have at least a 10 spot swing.

I also had to post to get outside 666 posts in the thread.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Injuries always affect the spread like that. Hard to rank a kid that hasn't been playing.
psiclist23

Post by psiclist23 »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

psiclist23 wrote:This guy is '18, right?
nice
Going to LSU.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I'm focused on Little and Bol. Those are the keys for '18. Anything beyond that is gravy.
psiclist23

Post by psiclist23 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
nice
Going to LSU.
OK. Guess he either doesn't care about winning so much, or believes he can make LSU a winner. Either way, it was a cool announcement.

edit: screwed up that link: https://twitter.com/NazReid/status/898698365566898176
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

psiclist23 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
nice
Going to LSU.
OK. Guess he either doesn't care about winning so much, or believes he can make LSU a winner. Either way, it was a cool announcement.

edit: screwed up that link: https://twitter.com/NazReid/status/898698365566898176
Will Wade has actually recruited pretty well at LSU. Plus, Reid's GF goes to LSU.

No reason to be mad just because the thing that everyone thougbt would happen went ahead and happened.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I'm curious what the hold up is on Bol visiting honestly.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

ChooChooCat wrote:I'm curious what the hold up is on Bol visiting honestly.
Maybe he will decide to visit red/blue weekend :?:
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Frybry02 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:I'm curious what the hold up is on Bol visiting honestly.
Maybe he will decide to visit red/blue weekend :?:
Would be nice.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Russ Smith saying the people at BRO are saying that Brandon Williams is going to decommit but nobody has any source on that it's just he won't want to play with Quinerly and Barcello.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Irish27 wrote:Russ Smith saying the people at BRO are saying that Brandon Williams is going to decommit but nobody has any source on that it's just he won't want to play with Quinerly and Barcello.
Goes along with his "someone hacked my twitter to say I'm leaving zona" in either that he's fumbling with leaving or bad info is out that he's doing so.

All three of those guys wants to make an impact their freshman year. They e all talked about being ready to play point and the young two have talked about sharing the role. Maybe Williams didn't think about potentially sharing it between three.

Hopefully the rumors aren't true.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Irish27 wrote:Russ Smith saying the people at BRO are saying that Brandon Williams is going to decommit but nobody has any source on that it's just he won't want to play with Quinerly and Barcello.
Huh. He seemed supportive of Quinerly and I don't get why he'd see Barcello as a threat.

Hopefully it is just the unsourced rumor mill.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Russ Smith is a regular on Bruin boards. He's wrong more often than not.

UCLA's '18 class is looking terrible, so there's probably some desperation setting in.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Williams recruited Quinerly to Arizona. Barcello, like Lee is a 4 year guy, see no reason for him being a threat.

Naz Reid committed to LSU btw
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

NYCat wrote:Williams recruited Quinerly to Arizona. Barcello, like Lee is a 4 year guy, see no reason for him being a threat.

Naz Reid committed to LSU btw
Yeah, I noticed that Reid finally pulled the trigger. No surprise there. Doesn't really bother me since he didn't choose another Pac school.

It's all about Bol and Little. I miss the "right where we want to be" posts from 97. I think Josh Jackson might've killed it.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

October 28th
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

NYCat wrote:October 28th
So he'll be there after Red/Blue but before the first game of the season. Too bad we couldn't get him in town for Red/Blue. That's gotta be one of our most powerful recruiting instruments.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Beachcat97 wrote:So he'll be there after Red/Blue but before the first game of the season. Too bad we couldn't get him in town for Red/Blue. That's gotta be one of our most powerful recruiting instruments.
That's a bummer. I was hoping we'd get him for Red/Blue and he'd visit USC for their first game against Fullerton that no one will show up to see. Looks like we both get him for a practice weekend.

Looks like he's going to visit UCLA... while the team is in China? I guess best case for them is they're just getting back from a 12 hour flight and a 15 hour time change (which is also not good for the players recovery after playing GaTech the day before). Gotta imagine that will get rescheduled.

So far though: Kentucky really getting the boost with that Big Blue Madness visit while everyone else gets butkus.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Could be a strategic move by Arizona to bring him in all by himself the week after the Red/Blue as opposed to having him visit along side Little. It'll be homecoming weekend as well so it's not as if absolutely nothing is going on.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:Could be a strategic move by Arizona to bring him in all by himself the week after the Red/Blue as opposed to having him visit along side Little. It'll be homecoming weekend as well so it's not as if absolutely nothing is going on.
Good point about homecoming, but jeez, he's going to see the football team get rolled by the Cougs. Sadly, the football program isn't doing much these days to promote the athletic program more generally.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

that doesn't always hurt basketball recruiting.

Sometimes, the sheer craziness of the football experience can make them feel "at home". But, as we all know, basketball is a lot more...um, career oriented at this step than it used to be.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Either way from what I understand Arizona has the edge going into these visits.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

From the sounds of it both his visits to the LA schools are tentative, which means having him on campus for the week after Red/Blue was Arizona's decision.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Arizona
Impressive! 8-)
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

HiCat wrote:

Arizona
Impressive! 8-)
Yep. And we're far from done. If we get Bol and Little, hard to see how we wouldn't have the #1 class.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Beachcat97 wrote:
HiCat wrote:

Arizona
Impressive! 8-)
Yep. And we're far from done. If we get Bol and Little, hard to see how we wouldn't have the #1 class.
Well, if Duke gets Barrett, Reddish, Jones, and more, there's certainly a chance we could end up #2. Not that it matters, we would have the perfect class coming in
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Arizona basketball recruiting: Bol Bol sets official visit dates

The Arizona Wildcats will be hosting five-star center Bol Bol for an official visit on the weekend of Oct. 28, according to Scout.com.

Bol, the son of former NBA player Manute Bol, is the No. 3 player in the 2018 class and the No. 1 center.

The Mater Dei (Santa Ana, Calif.) product has not named a preferred list of schools yet, but the 247Sports Crystal Ball projects Arizona as the favorite to land him.

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruitin ... a-usc-list" target="_blank
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

It looks like Little will be visiting at the same time as Bol Bol, the week after the Red / Blue. Interesting.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:It looks like Little will be visiting at the same time as Bol Bol, the week after the Red / Blue. Interesting.
Little is visiting during Red/Blue, Bol during homecoming (the week after).

Little having an in home before the visit (this Sunday) could be big. Seems like UNC is leading
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

dcZONAfan wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
HiCat wrote:

Arizona
Impressive! 8-)
Well, if Duke gets Barrett, Reddish, Jones, and more, there's certainly a chance we could end up #2. Not that it matters, we would have the perfect class coming in
Looks like we'll battle it out for #2 with UK if Barrett goes Duke or vice versa if Barrett goes UK. If Zion, Quickley, Shittu and a couple of others guys lick Kentucky, that might push Arizona down to #3.