Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

prh

Re: Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Post by prh »

CalStateTempe wrote:I get that feel every time I drive around Oregon prh. Lot of quaint little places and spots that are cool in their own right where you can do your thing.

I was amazed/shocked how many trump signs and bumper stickers I saw everywhere except Portland during my 8day Oregon road trip last year before the election.

Um wasn't the sting operation already in motion by the time romar was fired, and subsequently interviewed and hired by Arizona?
Oregon is actually a pretty conservative state, except for Portland and Eugene. It's really mostly that more blue collar, rural geography. Lots of farming. It votes blue by about 10%, so it's never going to flip, but most people don't realize how it's so heavily concentrated in Portland/Eugene.

Sorry to get off topic and political, just giving some facts about Oregon.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

prh wrote:
EVCat wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Why does Corvallis suck so bad? It's practically a suburb of Beaverton/Portland, it can't be that bad, can it?
That's one heck of a suburban map.

Maybe a suburb of Salem.

Which is part of the issue. I suppose.

I was shocked the first time I dropped into Corvallis just how...country...it was. The campus is nice, and it's a cute campus area. But, wow...I was amazed at the drive over there.
Corvallis sucks. I lived just outside of Salem growing up, until I went to Arizona for school, and I played HS sports all across the state of Oregon. Once you get away from Portland, Oregon is full of small cities/towns, most of which have a country/small town feel to them. Some are pretty cool. Corvallis is not one of those.
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
prh wrote:I made the mistake of checking Twitter. Saw some OSU kid talking shit and saying we should refund tickets and apologize to Pac12 schools. Saw some other stupid shit. I really hope this team rallies internally, and comes out and destroys every Pac12 team we play and carry it through to the tournament. A real f*ck the world attitude. Let's get that undefeated season we should have had in 2014.
Which OSU?

Ohio State better not be talking. They got a FB postseason ban in the last decade and have to be concerned in this one.
Ok. State is directly implicated by the FBI.
Oregon State...well, it isn't our fault that there's no amount of money you can give a kid to go play in Corvallis.
Oregon State. Just funny since their games are like low level HS games except for when we visit.
That's why you can't pay a kid to play there. Although I can think of at least two Beaver players I'd be suspicious about with regard to how they wound up there.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Another quiet day. Too much evidence to process?

Bowen suspended by Louisville
David Padgett named interim coach at Louisville
Russell Athletic & Activewear announced it was getting out of the team uniform business
Last edited by Jefe on Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

I'm already bored of this story. I need some new news, new schools, new scandals. I'm an addict and need my fix.

No Friday night news dump, unbelievable, unfathomable.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Russ Smith wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:If anyone has ever wondered -- and I'm sure many have -- why UCLA receives my most fervent scorn, it's because Russ Smith is strongly representative of their fan base. They're practically jubilant this week. Eager to bury our guy and then loot the stores of recruits left behind. It's sickening. And I was surrounded by this sentiment during my years in Westwood.

Free Miller! BTFD!!
Acutally we're on UCLA boards talking about how soon something comes up on UCLA and how bad it might be.

if I were gloating jubilantly you'd know it. I was just pointing out in a thread now nearly 40 pages I appear to have been the first person to have brought up Pasternack is mentioned in the report too. Pascoe mentioned it, otherwise I haven't seen anybody Arizona related mention it.

It's very difficult for a control freak coach like Sean Miller to claim Book was a rogue coach, especially when his associate head coach was in the process of getting involved with the same guys, when he got the UCSB job. Sean Miller controls every detail of his program, the only reason he didn't fire Book before is Book got players. If people here and elsewhere knew Book was taking money from PGU to get recruiting information surely Miller knew too, but he still didnt' fire Book because he wanted those players. It makes it harder to now claim hey I had no idea this guy was doing anything wrong he went rogue.

Also, to believe that the FBI tipped off Miller and he backed off Walker and Bowen, I have to believe that Miller was tipped off nearly a year ago. Walker committed to Miami in Nov 2016, so even if Miller was told in November that means he's known for 10 months. Every school and the NCAA that have publicly commented on this said they found out the same day, yet somehow I'm just supposed to accept that Miller was tipped off 10 months ago and kept it quiet but did nothing to stop Book and let him continue to break rules, pay Quinerly and didn't call up Nike and tell them he wasn't interested in Nassir Little? If' I'm a coach and the FBI contacts me with something like this, I become the cleanest program in history overnight, that clearly didn't happen. I suppose to play out that line of thinking the FBI told him what was going on and told him to continue to act like he always did until they made arrests. That's not typically how these things go, the FBI catches you and then presses you to give up other people, that's what started this whole thing they caught someone doing something else and he started giving out information. Why would they single out Sean Miller to inform him what was going on, were the FBI guys Arizona fans too?

If it comes out later that Miller was in fact tipped off I'll come on here and post an apology, admit I was wrong and be done with it.
You made the mistake of replying to the one poster nobody actually cares about on this board. I wouldn't sweat anything he says as book has more respect haha
Last edited by MrBug708 on Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Big D the guy that broke the Pitts story says Miller refuses to answer questions from UA official without a lawyer...

https://twitter.com/Kingsofthecast" target="_blank
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

CatFanOneMil wrote:Big D the guy that broke the Pitts story says Miller refuses to answer questions from UA official without a lawyer...

Don't know who this fucking guy but here's the tweets anyway
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

CatFanOneMil wrote:Big D the guy that broke the Pitts story says Miller refuses to answer questions from UA official without a lawyer...

With how this story has blown up and with the Feds involved:

If I was guilty I wouldn't answer questions about this without my lawyer.

If I was innocent I wouldn't answer questions about this without my lawyer.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

SCCats wrote:

EXACTLY if the rumor is true and the FBI was in your living room on Tuesday answering questions on Friday without a lawyer would be suicide no matter who is asking.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

The school can't fire Miller unless it has proven grounds to unless of course they want to pay him a huge fucking buyout to go away, which is dumb, therefore whoever this guy is he's dumb too.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

CatFanOneMil wrote:
SCCats wrote:

EXACTLY if the rumor is true and the FBI was in your living room on Tuesday answering questions on Friday without a lawyer would be suicide no matter who is asking.
What it means is your initial post is indicative of absolutely nothing.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

ChooChooCat wrote:The school can't fire Miller unless it has proven grounds to unless of course they want to pay him a huge fucking buyout to go away, which is dumb, therefore whoever this guy is he's dumb too.
Yes at this point in the game I am sure Miller is not only a little pissed off but also loaded for bear, there's no telling WHO the school official was or what the context of the question was, but big money is at stake and regardless of the outcome Sean is probably just a little bit trigger happy by today.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Russ Smith wrote:
Acutally we're
No one gives a shit.
:lol:
PieceOfMeat wrote:Mod note: I merged NM's thread into this one, as this is where it belongs.
Good call.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

You heard it here first. I could fuck Blake Lively by the end of the night. I laid my wife recently and ex gf years ago so I’ll take 2/3
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

SCCats wrote:

Ummm...are you under the mistaken assumption that every post on this thread indicates something? Its an online forum it's friday we're all hungry for news, what your post indicates is I don't give a care a lot about what you think.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

CatFanOneMil wrote:
SCCats wrote:

Ummm...are you under the mistaken assumption that every post on this thread indicates something?
I see the mistake I made now.
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

Beachcat97 wrote:If anyone has ever wondered -- and I'm sure many have -- why UCLA receives my most fervent scorn, it's because Russ Smith is strongly representative of their fan base. They're practically jubilant this week. Eager to bury our guy and then loot the stores of recruits left behind. It's sickening. And I was surrounded by this sentiment during my years in Westwood.

Free Miller! BTFD!!
Beachcat were you unhappy when Sean Miller recruited half of USC's class when their class was released years ago? Should UCLA be unhappy when their principal rival is under serious duress, in a situation that will potentially benefit them?

You act like schadenfreude is abnormal; not in sports its not, it's day-to-day life.

A rival's perspective might raise better questions, ones with a discerning eye, much like an investigator. As no one at Arizona can control the hysteria, nor control what others think (which is easy to discern anyway), the more questions asked and subsequently answered the better.

When no answer comes forth from a question, that's a hmmm......in my book.

We want the answers. As we're not going to get them with everyone lawyered up, the next best thing is to provide answers--as best we can--for ourselves.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

SCCats wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:
SCCats wrote:

Ummm...are you under the mistaken assumption that every post on this thread indicates something?
See everyone can learn if they just apply themselves, glad I could help and keep up the good work, you're doing great!
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Olsondogg wrote:You heard it here first. I could fuck Blake Lively by the end of the night. I laid my wife recently and ex gf years ago so I’ll take 2/3

It's gotta be a weird existence, trying to be some kind of twitter cowboy like "Big D".
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Olsondogg wrote:You heard it here first. I could fuck Blake Lively by the end of the night. I laid my wife recently and ex gf years ago so I’ll take 2/3
That Sood guy says he thinks Joe Pasternak want in on it with you. He hasn't asked about it yet, but Sood is pretty sure he will, so in that way, you've essentially been in a threesome with Joe Pasternak according to Russ Smith.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

CatFanOneMil wrote:
SCCats wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:
SCCats wrote:

See everyone can learn if they just apply themselves, glad I could help and keep up the good work, you're doing great!
It's a bold strategy to point out that your own posts are, in fact, pointless. I'll give you that.
gumby

Post by gumby »

nm
Last edited by gumby on Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Right where I want to be.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

SCCats wrote:

It's gotta be a weird existence, trying to be some kind of twitter cowboy like "Big D".
True that, especially considering that the very act of asking for a Lawyer to be present is under no circumstances a fire-able offense...

I can almost promise that IF (biggest fucking F there) Miller was guilty of something, the University is not going to fire him after one day of investigation, hell unless the status has been updated even Book is not fired yet and they have evidence he did shit...

You're right this BigD character is in a world of make-believe, sorry I linked it.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Jefe wrote:Another quiet day. Too much evidence to process?

Bowen suspended by Louisville
David Padgett named interim coach at Louisville
Russell Athletic & Activewear announced it was getting out of the team uniform business
More of this. NCAA/schools sure as hell aren't going to police the Nikes and Adidases of the world while cashing their checks.
Right where I want to be.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Some helpful Jason Scheer tweets in the past half hour.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Is there any actual proof Quinerly or Little took or solicited cash besides hearsay? Actual proof that the NCAA could use 2-3 years down the line?

I say fuck it and take them anyway, no matter the outcome it'll look horrible either way. There's no proof Miller is involved in any way, no proof that the kids actually got anything.

We're going to be considered cheaters anyhow, but I don't see the NCAA finding anything the FBI didn't. Even if Miller and the program are completely cleared besides book, no one will care, like no one cared that Trier wasn't on PEDs.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

SCCats wrote: It's a bold strategy to point out that your own posts are, in fact, pointless. I'll give you that.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Dick Vitale

@DickieV

Have known SEAN MILLER @APlayersProgram for many yrs & I would be shocked if he was aware of his ass't CHEATING! http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... 887da.html" target="_blank …
2:52 PM - Sep 29, 2017 · Tampa, FL

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... 688.html#1" target="_blank
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

NYCat wrote:Is there any actual proof Quinerly or Little took or solicited cash besides hearsay? Actual proof that the NCAA could use 2-3 years down the line?

I say fuck it and take them anyway, no matter the outcome it'll look horrible either way. There's no proof Miller is involved in any way, no proof that the kids actually got anything.

We're going to be considered cheaters anyhow, but I don't see the NCAA finding anything the FBI didn't. Even if Miller and the program are completely cleared besides book, no one will care, like no one cared that Trier wasn't on PEDs.
True you're innocent until proven guilty unless of course it hits social media first and then you're always guilty no matter what the facts are...I can fully appreciate why Sean Miller deleted his twitter account.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Hank of sb wrote:
Book is already a ward of the government. He has to show up, do what he's told, essentially going forward for life, regardless of his sentence. I mean even if he gets a month in jail he will be on probation forever and dependent on others (his wife?) for money.
Dude, where are u getting this from? If he gets a prison sentence he will be on supervised release (parole) for a couple years after. If he gets probation instead, the most he can do by statute is 5 years. And while Book's career in college basketball is over, you have to remember how well liked and connected the guy is. People like that are always going to have a job somewhere - Book is always gonna eat. . It's not what he had, but people make mistakes and can still positively impact the world when given 2nd and 3rd chances. Sounds like Miller gave him a few, bet he's crushed inside.
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

rgdeuce wrote:
Hank of sb wrote:
Book is already a ward of the government. He has to show up, do what he's told, essentially going forward for life, regardless of his sentence. I mean even if he gets a month in jail he will be on probation forever and dependent on others (his wife?) for money.
Dude, where are u getting this from? If he gets a prison sentence he will be on supervised release (parole) for a couple years after. If he gets probation instead, the most he can do by statute is 5 years. And while Book's career in college basketball is over, you have to remember how well liked and connected the guy is. People like that are always going to have a job somewhere - Book is always gonna eat. . It's not what he had, but people make mistakes and can still positively impact the world when given 2nd and 3rd chances. Sounds like Miller gave him a few, bet he's crushed inside.
I listened to the tape provided in this thread.

I know he's going to eat. C'mon.

Yes, and after probation he's free to commit another crime.

If he wants to.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

NYCat wrote:This old fuck
This guy knows motherfucking well what the hell is going on. A calculated shot knowing now is the time to stigmatize him permanently with a decent-sized population, regardless of the facts that may come down the road. This dude needs to get out of college basketball already, however that may happen.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Hank of sb wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:
Hank of sb wrote:

If he wants to.
If those undertones were intentional, knock it off. I don't care how mad you are at him, he's still a human being. One that quite a few of our "family" care about a whole lot.
Russ Smith

Post by Russ Smith »

Bosy Billups wrote:The FBI doesn't tip anyone off, especially in a sting, unless they are part of the sting operation. So either Miller knew and intentionally let Book be setup, or this was a big surprise

PS - Book's phone/texts were tapped, so all digital communication to CSM will be swept up. Promising that nothing on Miller has come out yet

PPS - After a 3 year operation and taps, there has got to be some hilarious shit picked up dealing with these cast of clowns, like pics, videos, etc. talking crap about bosses :lol:
The report says Book's transgressions with Sood and Dawkins(and the FBI undercover) started in Feb 2017. Walker committed 4 months before that. So the FBI told miller what Book was doing, before Book actually started doing it?

I haven't seen anywhere in the claims against Book where it says he was involved in asking for money until Quinerly and presumably Little happened. So how did the FBI tip off Miller to actions that hadn't happened yet?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:Is there any actual proof Quinerly or Little took or solicited cash besides hearsay? Actual proof that the NCAA could use 2-3 years down the line?

We need a locked thread for actual fact info. There's so much spread around by this point.

Yes, you're right. Book told the agent he needed $15,000 for Quinerly. There is probably record of that money going to Book. After that...?

On Little, Miami said we offered $150,000 to him that they needed to match. That is all the info on us and Little. His family denied it.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

We need a locked thread for actual fact info. There's so much spread around by this point.

Yes, you're right. Book told the agent he needed $15,000 for Quinerly. There is probably record of that money going to Book. After that...?

On Little, Miami said we offered $150,000 to him that they needed to match. That is all the info on us and Little. His family denied it.
I need an "I agree with Spiff" hotkey.
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

rgdeuce wrote:
Hank of sb wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:
Hank of sb wrote:

If he wants to.
If those undertones were intentional, knock it off. I don't care how mad you are at him, he's still a human being. One that quite a few of our "family" care about a whole lot.
You have got to be kidding me.

Undertones! You first called me Dude. I promptly answered you and now you making things up. Reading my inner thoughts.

I listened to the tape and was moved. I felt sorry for the man.

I am not the person here (or elsewhere) trashing Book.

I repeat: You asked me a question.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

The only thing that isn't third or fourth party hearsay at this point is that Book took money. That's it. More may come out later, but right now Dick Vitale is calling us "sleaze" and Hank of SB is demanding an immediate house cleaning. Based on shady people who in at least a couple cases could have a motivation to give bad info or outright lie.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Chicat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

The only thing that isn't third or fourth party hearsay at this point is that Book took a bribe. That's it. More may come out later, but right now Dick Vitale is calling us "sleaze" and Hank of SB is demanding an immediate house cleaning. Based on shady people who in at least a couple cases could have a motivation to give bad info or outright lie.

And who really knows if Book pocketed the money, because 15 for Quinerly is too low and requested after he committed.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

For the record- I just got done burning all of my Book Richardson jerseys
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Hardest part right now is just the deafening silence from Miller and the team. And I get it: they *can't* say anything. This just has to run its course; then we'll see what's what.

Overall, feeling a little better as this day comes to an end. I'm not seeing an obvious reason that Miller needs to lose his job. Because there isn't one.

Bear down, fellas! Have a good weekend!
jajoyce

Post by jajoyce »

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ms-13-leader ... 07390.html" target="_blank

They have to be going to Big Baller Brand.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Beachcat97 wrote:Hardest part right now is just the deafening silence from Miller and the team. And I get it: they *can't* say anything. This just has to run its course; then we'll see what's what.

Overall, feeling a little better as this day comes to an end. I'm not seeing an obvious reason that Miller needs to lose his job. Because there isn't one.

Whatever direction this thing goes, y'all have made this whole fiasco a heck of a lot more bearable. Thanks for that. BTFD.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Doesn’t some mofo on here work for Hughes credit union?
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:Hardest part right now is just the deafening silence from Miller and the team. And I get it: they *can't* say anything. This just has to run its course; then we'll see what's what.

The frustrating part for me is that I know the only way this won't drag on for months or years is if Miller is fired. Otherwise, we have to live with the dark cloud hanging there and wonder when the sanctions come.
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

The frustrating part for me is that I know the only way this won't drag on for months or years is if Miller is fired. Otherwise, we have to live with the dark cloud hanging there and wonder when the sanctions come.
Exactly....which is where the counter argument comes from.
BibbysTowelDude

Post by BibbysTowelDude »

The sanctions are going to be weak, the NCAA has been neutered.

You Fire No One
You Suspend No One
You Win Basketball Games Epically

You let the NCAA do their limp wristed bullshit. Vacate/Weak Sanctions...
You let the opposing fans and the media do what they always do. Vomit stupid bullshit all over the place.

It's 2017 folks, High School Recruits aren't going to give a shit about any of this in 2 weeks.

Everyone acts likes this is gonna change much. The deck chairs will rearranged and the homies will still be handing out bags of cash. 5 Star Johnny is still gonna hold a dollar.
phenom5

Post by phenom5 »

BibbysTowelDude wrote:The sanctions are going to be weak, the NCAA has been neutered.

You Fire No One
You Suspend No One
You Win Basketball Games Epically

You let the NCAA do their limp wristed bullshit. Vacate/Weak Sanctions...
You let the opposing fans and the media do what they always do. Vomit stupid bullshit all over the place.

It's 2017 folks, High School Recruits aren't going to give a shit about any of this in 2 weeks.

Everyone acts likes this is gonna change much. The deck chairs will rearranged and the homies will still be handing out bags of cash. 5 Star Johnny is still gonna hold a dollar.
I heart this post
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Hank of sb wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Exactly....which is where the counter argument comes from.
What counter argument?

If we self impose, the NCAA can say it is not enough, so we still have to wait. If we fire Miller, we will still get sanctioned. There will be a wait period and then we will get some sanctions.

All we can do is hope the internsl investigation is accurate. That matters far, far, far more than what I've seen you push, which is the quick solution based in perceptions and conjecture.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

phenom5 wrote:I heart this post
Me too.