Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Post by ChooChooCat »

I can honestly say that before reading this article I've never even thought about the concept of suicide. I'm officially there. Thanks Titus.

https://www.theringer.com/2017/10/6/164 ... estigation" target="_blank
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

ChooChooCat wrote:I can honestly say that before reading this article I've never even thought about the concept of suicide. I'm officially there. Thanks Titus.

Well written. This being the beginning of the end is certainly plausible..
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

That article is a good primer for non-Arizona fans to wrap their brains around what it's like to be an Arizona fan. But as far as doomsday goes, we're in the same place we were when this scandal came to light if the allegations against Book Richardson eventually are proven:

Either the FBI investigation will show that only Arizona and a few other programs breached the amateurism requirement, or that the problem is widespread. If the former, then Arizona basketball is a cheating program in an honest world of amateur college basketball and deserves to be doomed. At least we know the sport isn't corrupt, and crushing Arizona will clean the problem. But if the latter, we can hope that the widespread corruption can be addressed through a different system.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

My take on Titus article is this is his normal day to day life poured into a sports screed, he has made no bones about his depression issues, but like Miller says to reach a national championship you also have to have good fortune, ie; LUCK...

What are the odds a player who's actually recorded data of hitting three pointers SUDDENLY triple in one game against the cats?

All of the razor thin losses have an element of chance involved, the basketball hits a clangy part of the rim and bounces out or in the game goes for or against.

Its why we watch the sport.

There is no luck in boxing...very little in football, no swim champion is ever described as "Lucky"...tennis has a little but very little...

No sport has the amount of chance in it as college basketball (anything below college is just bad skill, anything above college begins to eliminate the luck factor).

I read an article about the FBI investigation that basically confirmed my suspicions that the worst of it is over, what we are currently looking at is it...no mass conviction of other schools, just a handful of rogue assistants and the Pitino crime family...Miller will come out clean, but the program will suffer under the ridiculous NCAA example of what real "amateurism" is supposed to look like...the committee will demonstrate just how fucking amateur they are by making Miller pay for Books crimes.

We will know more in 4 days when Book appears in court...and the rest of it will remain in the cloud over our head under wraps for the rest of the season.

Fuck Book...and not the fun version.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Isn't the ringer just a step up from bleacher report?

I stopped reading after "what did Arizona fans do to deserve this." What a hot mess of conjecture and sensationalism. Titus clearly does not get that correlation does not equal causation.

Boo hoo douche bag low level sports journalist (he's on the ringer for Christ sakes) wrote an article to sand bag on Arizona and miller and was upset the college basketball scandal broke but didn't want to rewrite, and saw Arizona was peripherally involved, so his 20w refrigerator bulb of an idea was to rework his original story into the tripe linked above. And he's gonna be "edgy" by saying Arizona a fans have had blue ball for 16years! Wow, I can't believe he said that!!! :roll:

Arizona should sue for libel. Again putting sewage out there that will alter the perception of the casual college bball fan.

With friends like these...
SirClinks

Post by SirClinks »

I think you took that article a little to personal man. I though it was just a good article about how wrapped up we get in sports and how a lot of Arizona fans probably feel right now.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

Longhorned wrote:

Either the FBI investigation will show that only Arizona and a few other programs breached the amateurism requirement, or that the problem is widespread. If the former, then Arizona basketball is a cheating program in an honest world of amateur college basketball and deserves to be doomed. At least we know the sport isn't corrupt, and crushing Arizona will clean the problem. But if the latter, we can hope that the widespread corruption can be addressed through a different system.
I'm not sure the FBI investigation is dealing with the "widespread problem." The FBI have subpoenaed Nike and others for their records which will go a long way towards confirming the amateur breach question for the 4/5/6 schools involved.

One might surmise the NCAA well knows what is widespread. They are likely preparing for the changes now.

Regardless, Arizona and the other six schools will get crushed.

Once a 'new system' is announced, there will be no need to visit with the rest.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

NYCat wrote:
Without being overly disparaging this is about the 10th tweet that says the exact same thing since last Tuesday...everyone has an inside source that refuses to be named, whatever...besides the fact that he writes for Fox sports kinda makes me SMH...

I still wanna see the guy who tweeted Miller was not answering questions from UA and would be fired last Friday eat a pair of his own shit stained under armor alls...

Everybody's a fucking expert...

Every journalist has an accurate unnamed source with insider information...

Funny thing is, not one of them got ahead of the FBI on this and as far as I can tell none of that has changed.

Not.One.Damn.Sports.Writer.

Hell even Vitale has yet to apologize for sucking Pitinos dick and throwing Arizona under the bus the first few days.

The FBI is done. There is nothing more to come. If they had more they would never have had a press conference. You don't announce to the people you are investigating "You better watch out we're coming, we have your play book"

Thats what paper shredders and ovens for hard drives are for, burn phones CAN be burned.

Everyone they could nab has been nabbed.

Any journalist that says different if full of crap.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:I can honestly say that before reading this article I've never even thought about the concept of suicide. I'm officially there. Thanks Titus.

I just keep forwarding this and getting back the internet/IM/email equivalent of the painful head nod guys do when in intense psychological pain and asked "how are you, man?"
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

NYCat wrote:
Would be nice. But has any forthcoming event promised on Twitter ever actually happened?

It's like, "Watch for chips to fall: The Supreme Court has secretly tasked the CIA with indicting the governor of Oklahoma for sending U.S. troops to war in Laos without approval from the Secretary of Education."
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

SirClinks wrote:I think you took that article a little to personal man. I though it was just a good article about how wrapped up we get in sports and how a lot of Arizona fans probably feel right now.
Yes I agree. That article triggered me. I AM an Arizona fan after all. Lol
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

CalStateTempe wrote:Isn't the ringer just a step up from bleacher report?

I stopped reading after "what did Arizona fans do to deserve this." What a hot mess of conjecture and sensationalism. Titus clearly does not get that correlation does not equal causation.

Boo hoo douche bag low level sports journalist (he's on the ringer for Christ sakes) wrote an article to sand bag on Arizona and miller and was upset the college basketball scandal broke but didn't want to rewrite, and saw Arizona was peripherally involved, so his 20w refrigerator bulb of an idea was to rework his original story into the tripe linked above. And he's gonna be "edgy" by saying Arizona a fans have had blue ball for 16years! Wow, I can't believe he said that!!! :roll:

Arizona should sue for libel. Again putting sewage out there that will alter the perception of the casual college bball fan.

Mark Titus is golden with a keyboard. He is one of the best out there, and he just NAILED this situation. He has always been a supporter of Arizona, and he knows us like we know us...and he just put a mirror up to us.

This is a FANTASTIC article...
prh

Post by prh »

EVCat wrote:

Mark Titus is golden with a keyboard. He is one of the best out there, and he just NAILED this situation. He has always been a supporter of Arizona, and he knows us like we know us...and he just put a mirror up to us.

Yeah I mean his article perfectly summed up how we've all felt for the last 2 decades. We talk about it all the time in here, he put in in understandable terms for everyone else. Also remember, The Ringer is not meant to be traditional sports journalism. It's another Bill Simmons project, which means it's a cross of culture and sports. Maybe sports for the every day man. It was a great article, it's just hard to admit because it hurts so much.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

SirClinks wrote:I think you took that article a little to personal man. I though it was just a good article about how wrapped up we get in sports and how a lot of Arizona fans probably feel right now.
Yup...and how painful it has been to be Arizona...good enough to have 10 trophies but always just missing. He went to great detail to explain why our expectations are higher than lots of programs that have less hardware than we do. He has always followed UA hoops closely, and just nailed this one. The average fan has no idea how good we have been because we don't have that breakthrough. He does, and he recognizes how much that has hurt. The dude referenced '03 and the Gardner miss, and like a real UA fan bypasses the up 15 with 3:30 left of 2005 to get to the much larger horror of up 8 with a minute to play, showing he knows real Arizona fan shorthand (the "up 15 with 3:30 to play" has always been just a sliver of the real pain). He knows us like we know us.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

It's a great article, but the painful part about it is how much he had to leave off
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Hank of sb wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

I'm not sure the FBI investigation is dealing with the "widespread problem." The FBI have subpoenaed Nike and others for their records which will go a long way towards confirming the amateur breach question for the 4/5/6 schools involved.

One might surmise the NCAA well knows what is widespread. They are likely preparing for the changes now.

You literally don't know a single fucking thing Hank.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Main Event wrote:It's a great article, but the painful part about it is how much he had to leave off
Your avatar's knees for one.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Tom Izzo can’t check his mailbox without Final Four appearances spilling out like Bed Bath & Beyond coupons, yet Arizona hasn’t made one since the invention of the iPod? How is that possible?

*sobs in the corner, cradling a bottle of liquor*
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Hank of sb wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

You literally don't know a single fucking thing Hank.
Could be. But I was responding to the quote.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Main Event wrote:It's a great article, but the painful part about it is how much he had to leave off
In contrast to fans of other top programs, at what point does all the repeated blows start to chip away at one's sense of self? There has to be some transference to other aspects of life.

"You should open your own business!"

"Me? Just as I start to turn a profit, an employee will trip over an extension chord and fall out a window into a garbage bin, sue me and cause me to default on my loan payments, leading the bank to confiscate my personal property, thereby rendering my family homeless for six months before we all die in an unrelated boat explosion."
KOQSTRONG

Post by KOQSTRONG »

Not sure how I feel about that article. Was nodding my head to some of it and then getting angry at other parts. But Titus has always seemed like a giant douche to me. I mean he does work for Bill Simmons and went to Ohio State after all. Simmons needs to quit bending over to the Millenials. Stop with the boring ass pod casts and write more damn articles.
prh

Post by prh »

Longhorned wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
In contrast to fans of other top programs, at what point does all the repeated blows start to chip away at one's sense of self? There has to be some transference to other aspects of life.

"You should open your own business!"

"Me? Just as I start to turn a profit, an employee will trip over an extension chord and fall out a window into a garbage bin, sue me and cause me to default on my loan payments, leading the bank to confiscate my personal property, thereby rendering my family homeless for six months before we all die in an unrelated boat explosion."
Hey you hush, I'm working on co-founding a startup :x
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I was on board with the article until it started predicting doom for us. A lot of programs have been sanctioned for improper benefits. Assuming the worst of what's known now, if the NCAA substantiates Book paying Quinerly, that's what we are looking at.

That's usually a season of postseason ineligibility and scholarship restrictions. Look, if we manage to keep Quinerly and pull Bol, we are still loaded next year. There is a lot of talent here, and recruits have short memories.

I'm not saying this is guaranteed to be fine, but we're not dead yet.
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

Yep...tragic stuff.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

EVCat wrote:

Agreed. Titus is a gift and he knows Arizona like no other writer.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

Oddly I guess, I've always liked Titus' rambling style. I can't say I enjoyed the article - I'm the type of guy who has viewed his synopsis in real time through an entirely different prism. But I guess that's the point.

The thing that stuck out to me is where he said nothing is likely to happen this year. Which brings me back to the sentiment from a page or two of - "Let's rally the troops & win the whole fuckin' thing".

Then again, I'm always going to revert back to that.

BTFD.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:
:!:
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I was on board with the article until it started predicting doom for us. A lot of programs have been sanctioned for improper benefits. Assuming the worst of what's known now, if the NCAA substantiates Book paying Quinerly, that's what we are looking at.

That's usually a season of postseason ineligibility and scholarship restrictions. Look, if we manage to keep Quinerly and pull Bol, we are still loaded next year. There is a lot of talent here, and recruits have short memories.

I'm not saying this is guaranteed to be fine, but we're not dead yet.

At that point, it becomes just another article, and we cannot expect national writers to avoid that low hanging fruit or to not be privy to what appears to be happening behind the scenes. But he does a tremendous job of crawling into the soul of a passionate UA hoops fan. Most national writers know Illinois and the Wisconsin loss in 14. They don't really know how far back this stretches, really even to before our last Final Four, to 1998, when a team that steamrolled the competition got jacked by professional coaches assisting a fat man in finding the one hanging string to tug. For him to reference '03 is tremendous, to me, to see from a national writer because that means he really, really understands our program. No one references '03. It was just a hard fought loss to KU. He had the nugget of the blowout in Kansas, and the overall feel of the craziness of that whole run with Kansas, from the 1996 rollercoaster coming up just short (that's a game people should talk about more...that 1996 team was filled with a bunch of very good/not great upper classmen and some up and coming kids, and we went from way down to way up to down), followed by the 1997 upset, followed by the 2003 turn of a huge deficit into a blowout in 3 Salim shots in Lawrence, then on to the EE where, again, we went from huge deficit to substantial lead to collapse and missed 3 at the buzzer. It seems Titus is on that, because the 2003 EE loss was really the series finale for that show, to use Simmons-like pop culture metaphors.

Titus is a fantastic writer, and his age puts him close enough to millennials. The criticism of Simmons as courting millennials from another post above seems, to me, to be as far away from what Bill Simmons is as can be. Bill does live in one particular generation, and it is the only generation he caters to. 94.5% of his pop culture references miss the millennial completely. Bill writes for Gen X and the following generation...his pop references are stuck in that time (which is fine...I love it), and while, as a pop culturist, he does sample todays offerings, his laser focus, the target of his 50,000 word missives is me, and the people within 10 years of me. Not millennials. He usually hits for me, but when he misses, it is bad.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Win & Vacate
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Bear Down Vegas wrote: The thing that stuck out to me is where he said nothing is likely to happen this year. Which brings me back to the sentiment from a page or two of - "Let's rally the troops & win the whole fuckin' thing".
I really want T-shirts with that UA A-style "4" on the front, and "Win, then Vacate" on the back, maybe with a nod to Johnny Thunders below it:

"You Can't Put Your Arms Around a Memory...But You Can a Trophy".
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:Oddly I guess, I've always liked Titus' rambling style. I can't say I enjoyed the article - I'm the type of guy who has viewed his synopsis in real time through an entirely different prism. But I guess that's the point.

The thing that stuck out to me is where he said nothing is likely to happen this year. Which brings me back to the sentiment from a page or two of - "Let's rally the troops & win the whole fuckin' thing".

Then again, I'm always going to revert back to that.

BTFD.
We're gonna play this year. We might as well play and win.

I don't see why anyone would be on any other train. I played basketball competitively for 16 years, and I can't remember a game I wasn't out there to win.

We're not gonna duck sanctions because we wussed out on the court, so we might as well go hard and wreck other teams. The rest will work itself out one way or another.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EVCat wrote:
Bear Down Vegas wrote: The thing that stuck out to me is where he said nothing is likely to happen this year. Which brings me back to the sentiment from a page or two of - "Let's rally the troops & win the whole fuckin' thing".
I really want T-shirts with that UA A-style "4" on the front, and "Win, then Vacate" on the back, maybe with a nod to Johnny Thunders below it:

Is it wrong that I'd rather win a NC as a villain and get that year vacated then try to be the good guy and give up postseason?

"They hate us because they ain't us."
--George Washington
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
We're not gonna duck sanctions because we wussed out on the court, so we might as well go hard and wreck other teams...
... who also happen to be populated with paid players.

"Better to win boldly than to conceal a baton up your ass."

- Benjamin Franklin
gumby

Post by gumby »

To his credit, he warned Wildcat fans on Twitter not to read it. Instead, they're giving him tons of examples that he could've also used.
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Fer chrissakes. You stopped reading, or so you said, but you have an extensive take on it that includes libel? Do you tap these takes out on your phone during operations?

Forceps!

Retractor!

Phone!

Suction! Suction! Suction! Suction! Suction! Suction!
Last edited by gumby on Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
We're not gonna duck sanctions because we wussed out on the court, so we might as well go hard and wreck other teams...
... who also happen to be populated with paid players.

"Better to win boldly than to conceal a baton up your ass."

- Benjamin Franklin
"Don't hate the player, hate the game."

- Benedict Arnold
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

lol, nice cherry picking Titus. Basically, it all comes down to the tourney and Final Four, which is a lot of luck, just like 1997 was a lot of luck. Why not mention the Pac-12 conference championships, winning the conference tourneys, and glossing over 3-4 lose seasons? How many college basketball teams would love that resume? Titus wrote a click bait article IMO. He is master at that (even admitted to his thoughts re a click bait article about Miller's job performance and security before the FBI news). Click fucking bait.

PS - "you can indict a ham sandwich" It's the conviction that matters, not the indictment.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Bosy Billups wrote:lol, nice cherry picking Titus. Basically, it all comes down to the tourney and Final Four, which is a lot of luck, just like 1997 was a lot of luck. Why not mention the Pac-12 conference championships, winning the conference tourneys, and glossing over 3-4 lose seasons? How many college basketball teams would love that resume? Titus wrote a click bait article IMO. He is master at that (even admitted to his thoughts re a click bait article about Miller's job performance and security before the FBI news). Click fucking bait.

PS - "you can indict a ham sandwich" It's the conviction that matters, not the indictment.
I've never understood the reason people think the legal system is so biased against ham sandwiches.
77HoyaCat4Ever

Post by 77HoyaCat4Ever »

gumby wrote:

Fer chrissakes. You stopped reading, or so you said, but you have an extensive take on it that includes libel? Do you tap these takes out on your phone during operations?

Forceps!

Retractor!

Phone!

Suction! Suction! Suction! Suction! Suction! Suction!
Good surgeon holds pressure. All suction does is result in more blood loss. Stay calm!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Dammit, Jim, I'm a poster not a doctor!
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

gumby wrote:
I read this too fast & thought it said two Kentucky assistants were put on leave...I lost my breath. Need to learn to read better.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
EVCat wrote:

Is it wrong that I'd rather win a NC as a villain and get that year vacated then try to be the good guy and give up postseason?

"They hate us because they ain't us."
--George Washington
I've been advocating cheating to get a Rose Bowl for years. Fuck it...they can't erase my memory.

I am pretty sure those USC games with Reggie Bush happened.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

I can’t speak to the column. I won’t read it. I’m depressed enough. But, in general, The Ringer is not even close to BleacherReport.

Titus is a damn good college writer.

And The Ringer is the reincarnation (albeit a lesser version) of Grantland. The idea is bring in the best writers in specific genres and give them free reign through HBO partnership.

Is it perfect? No.

But it isn’t Bleacher Report.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

gumby wrote:Dammit, Jim, I'm a poster not a doctor!
Not a surgeon either...a diagnostician, I have time to think.

You guys get my hot takes here so that I remain sane in the real world and a good husband, father, professional.

Lucky you.

Will take a breath and read the article in full when I get home. But I surmise my initial nthoughts were because it was all too real.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

That Titus article...jesus. It's like he excavated my repressed unpleasant memories from the past two decades.
Pop McKale

Post by Pop McKale »

Someone show that article to the AV geeks in McKale so they can revamp the intro video this year. I love the retrospective highlights, using all the great hoops alums and such, but we've been stuck on the same clips of Kerr, Olson, et al, saying "4 Final Fours" and "1 National Championship" for a realllllly long time now. :oops:
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Success in college basketball is measured by final fours. But look at what Miller has done at Arizona: he's consistently overcome roster turnover and kept Arizona on the cusp of the final four. Arizona lost twice to Wisconsin. The first time, Aaron Gordon and Nick Johnson departed. Wisconsin had the luxury of welcoming back their star players while Arizona had to reload. How many professional players did Miller churn out compared to Wisconsin? And Wisconsin's players needed more college seasoning to reach their professional goals. The average roster age for Wisconsin was older than Arizona's. Look at the money earned by UA players and tell me again how our program underperforms. It takes a different perspective to appreciate Arizona's success.
Last edited by zonagrad on Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.