2017-2018 Arizona Basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

YoDeFoe

Re: 2017-2018 Arizona Basketball

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Get PJC to limit TOs and make smart decisions consistently.
That's not a concern. He had a more than 3:1 A:TO last year, up from 2.4 the year prior.

Get PJC improve his offense (take more shots from three, improve his two point jumper %, and/or improve his finishing % at the rim)... get PJC to stay healthy and strong enough to play 1,200min... get PJC to be more of a vocal leader. Those are my asks.
Full effort on defense, improve consistency. All I ask.
Make a semi-positive impact in big games against good teams. That's all I want.

The 5 points and 5 assists vs Xavier with 1 for 5 shooting...that's not going to help us get all the way. 5.3 ppg and 3.3 apg in the tourney playing 22, 24 and 27 mpg. He won't be our stalwart leader, but he has to be someone that gives us something.
This is fair.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

With PJC, the Xavier type games are what makes me insane about him. He was out there for 27 minutes, but that's it, he was just there.

I don't care if he doesn't win his matchup. He has to do something. Make shots, create for teammates, lock someone up on D, just something. He can't just exist on the court for a long period of time. That's how I see him play with teams like Xavier. He's just there.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:With PJC, the Xavier type games are what makes me insane about him. He was out there for 27 minutes, but that's it, he was just there.

I don't care if he doesn't win his matchup. He has to do something. Make shots, create for teammates, lock someone up on D, just something. He can't just exist on the court for a long period of time. That's how I see him play with teams like Xavier. He's just there.
He did have 5 assists, 3 rebounds, and 2 steals (with only 1 TO) during that game. He posted a 118 ORtg. His 5 assists led both teams on a per 40 basis... it's just he wasn't very impactful scoring the ball (as he went 1-4 from deep). If one more of those threes drops he's looking pretty damn productive at 8/5/3/2 in fewer than 30 min. Or if the team hit more than 7 of 27 threes, PJC likely has a couple more Asts and again looks great.
Last edited by YoDeFoe on Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Sam Vecenie projects Trier as the number one wing in CBB... Alkins as the number five (and would have been higher pre-injury).

BOLD.

1. Allonzo Trier – Jr., Arizona; 6-5, 200 pounds
Trier took a big leap forward last year in rounding out his overall game. He occasionally ran some point last year – something he’ll do this year as well – and more than doubled his assist rate. He became a much better rebounder, turned the ball over less, and even showed more effort defensively under Sean Miller. Still, where Trier makes his hay is as arguably the most efficient high-volume returning scoring guard in the country. He averaged 17.2 points on an outrageous 61.2 percent true-shooting percentage, basically exactly in line with his previous season on a per-minute basis. His footwork, body control, and polish are sublime, and he can now score at all three levels.

5. Rawle Alkins – So., Arizona; 6-5, 220 pounds
Alkins was higher on this list before he fractured a bone in his foot that will keep him out potentially until 2018. He averaged 10 points, five rebounds and two assists per game in his first year of college hoops a season ago. The wing out of Brooklyn is a hard-nosed, tough slasher who has taken to Sean Miller’s defensive scheme. He’s also started to knock down 3s consistently, which has further opened up his offensive game.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:With PJC, the Xavier type games are what makes me insane about him. He was out there for 27 minutes, but that's it, he was just there.

He did have 5 assists, 3 rebounds, and 2 steals (with only 1 TO) during that game. He posted a 118 ORtg. His 5 assists led both teams... it's just he wasn't very impactful scoring the ball (as he went 1-4 from deep). If one more of those threes drops he's looking pretty damn productive at 8/5/3/2 in fewer than 30 min. Or if the team hit more than 7 of 27 threes, PJC likely has a couple more Asts and again looks great.
Maybe I'm overly harsh, but 5 assists in 27 minutes isn't impactful for a PG. You can't really claim a positive impact in distribution with that number. Same with 3 rebs and 2 steals. I look for something that says, yeah, he made a difference because (fill in blank).

I just don't see any of that as something that you don't think you can get from a backup, but he's playing starter minutes. He didn't shoot well. The assist total is about average for a PG playing starter minutes, same with rebs and steals.

I want him to stand out in some way in a big game. Be able to say Parker brought X to the table.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

YoDeFoe wrote:Sam Vecenie projects Trier as the number one wing in CBB... Alkins as the number five (and would have been higher pre-injury).

BOLD.

1. Allonzo Trier – Jr., Arizona; 6-5, 200 pounds
Trier took a big leap forward last year in rounding out his overall game. He occasionally ran some point last year – something he’ll do this year as well – and more than doubled his assist rate. He became a much better rebounder, turned the ball over less, and even showed more effort defensively under Sean Miller. Still, where Trier makes his hay is as arguably the most efficient high-volume returning scoring guard in the country. He averaged 17.2 points on an outrageous 61.2 percent true-shooting percentage, basically exactly in line with his previous season on a per-minute basis. His footwork, body control, and polish are sublime, and he can now score at all three levels.

5. Rawle Alkins – So., Arizona; 6-5, 220 pounds
Alkins was higher on this list before he fractured a bone in his foot that will keep him out potentially until 2018. He averaged 10 points, five rebounds and two assists per game in his first year of college hoops a season ago. The wing out of Brooklyn is a hard-nosed, tough slasher who has taken to Sean Miller’s defensive scheme. He’s also started to knock down 3s consistently, which has further opened up his offensive game.
Gotta love Trier. He's competitive as hell and is poised to have an All-American type season.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

not sure if it is bball related but hopefully
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Maybe I'm overly harsh, but 5 assists in 27 minutes isn't impactful for a PG. You can't really claim a positive impact in distribution with that number. Same with 3 rebs and 2 steals. I look for something that says, yeah, he made a difference because (fill in blank).

I just don't see any of that as something that you don't think you can get from a backup, but he's playing starter minutes. He didn't shoot well. The assist total is about average for a PG playing starter minutes, same with rebs and steals.

I want him to stand out in some way in a big game. Be able to say Parker brought X to the table.
A rare disagree. TJ never dished more than 6 assists in a tournament game, playing nearly 40min/g. PJC's 7 assists per 40 min with fewer than 2 TOs is elite. PJC has rebounded well. He dishes the ball well. He gets steals.

He just fails to take shots.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

TJ did a lot of other things a lot better than PJC. It ain't all about the assists.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Maybe I'm overly harsh, but 5 assists in 27 minutes isn't impactful for a PG. You can't really claim a positive impact in distribution with that number. Same with 3 rebs and 2 steals. I look for something that says, yeah, he made a difference because (fill in blank).

A rare disagree. TJ never dished more than 6 assists in a tournament game, playing nearly 40min/g. PJC's 7 assists per 40 min with fewer than 2 TOs is elite. PJC has rebounded well. He dishes the ball well. He gets steals.

TJ's D was a constant difference maker. That is a big reason TJ was so good for us, every game he was a plus defender. I don't see that in Parker.

That's always how I saw TJ, as a constant plus on D. Parker isn't, so he needs the assists or points to compensate. TJ always made a difference on D. Parker doesn't, so he needs more than pedestrian scoring or assist numbers.
gumby

Post by gumby »

It's ultimately on Miller, who recruits the position and divvies up the minutes. TJ's been the exception, not the rule.

Momo
Mayes
Turner
Lyons
Allen
PJC

Find it odd that a former PG has landed studs at every position but PG.
Right where I want to be.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:It's ultimately on Miller, who recruits the position and divvies up the minutes. TJ's been the exception, not the rule.

Momo
Mayes
Turner
Lyons
Allen
PJC

There's been a ton of discussion, so I won't go hard into detail, but this is only halfway true. It has been an erratic position, but there are two real misses (Turner and PJC) that caused multiyear issues (Getting Lyons, no Thornton) and one big hit in TJ. Everyone else was a product of necessity and Momo and Lyons went pretty well for our options at those points (none).
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
gumby wrote:It's ultimately on Miller, who recruits the position and divvies up the minutes. TJ's been the exception, not the rule.

Momo
Mayes
Turner
Lyons
Allen
PJC

There's been a ton of discussion, so I won't go hard into detail, but this is only halfway true. It has been an erratic position, but there are two real misses (Turner and PJC) that caused multiyear issues (Getting Lyons, no Thornton) and one big hit in TJ. Everyone else was a product of necessity and Momo and Lyons went pretty well for our options at those points (none).
However it's spun, it's been a problem relative to other positions. And the buck stops with the coach.

"Erratic" -- right on.

Now if you think someone else should be playing, then that's really on the coach.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Momo
Mayes
Turner
Lyons
Allen
PJC

However it's spun, it's been a problem relative to other positions. And the buck stops with the coach.

"Erratic" -- right on.

Now if you think someone else should be playing, then that's really on the coach.
Eh, here's how I see it.

Momo--product of necessity who actually turned out quite well.
Mayes--lower level prospect rated 120-150 by most services. Including him with others is odd.
Turner--highly ranked miss. That said, our only other option at that point was maybe Jahii Carson, and that would have been...
Lyons--another necessity. Not ideal, but not terrible.
TJ--great move, went from unheralded to great.
Allen--I wouldn't class him a PG. He was a 2 in JC and spent most of his time here at the 2. PJC's issues made him play out of position, but that does not detract from 2 good years here.
PJC--I would class him being a starter 3 years in a row as Miller's biggest miss. Good kid, but locking in on him for this time has really skewed the overall picture.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azgreg wrote:
They should offer dirt cheap everclear and just see what happens against the CSUB's of the world.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Inevitable as financial pressures mount.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

gumby wrote:Inevitable as financial pressures mount.
Gotta sell naming rights to AZ Stadium next. Could probably fetch more dough for McKale, but renaming that would be a slippery slope.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
gumby wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Momo
Mayes
Turner
Lyons
Allen
PJC

"Erratic" -- right on.

Eh, here's how I see it.

Momo--product of necessity who actually turned out quite well.
Mayes--lower level prospect rated 120-150 by most services. Including him with others is odd.
Turner--highly ranked miss. That said, our only other option at that point was maybe Jahii Carson, and that would have been...
Lyons--another necessity. Not ideal, but not terrible.
TJ--great move, went from unheralded to great.
Allen--I wouldn't class him a PG. He was a 2 in JC and spent most of his time here at the 2. PJC's issues made him play out of position, but that does not detract from 2 good years here.
PJC--I would class him being a starter 3 years in a row as Miller's biggest miss. Good kid, but locking in on him for this time has really skewed the overall picture.
"Mistakes were made." Not seeing any disagreement here.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Gotta sell naming rights to AZ Stadium next.
I never even considered that... great idea. It's a non-name currently anyways.
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

And the lawyer fees...
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

The McHale McKale Center

Now Everyone Can Get It Right.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

YoDeFoe wrote:

I know what he is getting at and I agree. Looking at just the numbers, it may be close. But divide the game into three parts: offensive end (not just things you find in a box score, like having the offense running well, breaking down defenders and opening things up for teammates that are still two passes away from getting their shot, forcing the team to put another defender on you because of matchup issues, etc.); defensive end (locking down a key player, playing great individual defense, being a great team defender and picking up the slack of others, forcing turnovers, defensive rebounding, etc.); and intangibles (leadership, hustle, making big plays at the right time, carrying a team on your shoulders). Not talking "doing your job" here, Im talking about an actual significant impact.

Most games TJ was having a large impact on 2 or 3 of the three parts. TJ had an off shooting night, you still knew he would be the vocal and emotional leader, he would still lock down his man and anyone else he had to guard, he still busted his ass. For the most part, PJC is a guy who is typically a 1 for 3 guy, but 0 for 3 nights are not uncommon. 2 for 3 nights are few an far between and he has probably only had a couple 3 for 3 nights. That's the difference, on a bad night, TJ is still going to do multiple things to help you win the game. A bad night or even a semi-typical night, PJC just "exists." Basically, PJC needs to find more ways to positively impact more games. Assists may be equal on a score sheet, but PJC passing to Trier for a contested make with 3 seconds left on the shot clock is different than PJC burning his man off the dribble and kicking it to Trier for a wide-open make after his man had to leave his position to help.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

84Cat wrote:
These are terrible IMO. Like being able to look back at old faces years down the road.
azgreg wrote:
Maybe I'm just old and grumpy, but I actually like having a place to catch a game without dealing with (more than just the random) obnoxious drunks, and super long bathroom and concession lines. I'm not much of a drinker though, so maybe I should just shut up.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:
84Cat wrote:
These are terrible IMO. Like being able to look back at old faces years down the road.
If the thing I think of when I think back on this year is gradient, we're in worse shape than I thought.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

rgdeuce wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:

I know what he is getting at and I agree. Looking at just the numbers, it may be close. But divide the game into three parts: offensive end (not just things you find in a box score, like having the offense running well, breaking down defenders and opening things up for teammates that are still two passes away from getting their shot, forcing the team to put another defender on you because of matchup issues, etc.); defensive end (locking down a key player, playing great individual defense, being a great team defender and picking up the slack of others, forcing turnovers, defensive rebounding, etc.); and intangibles (leadership, hustle, making big plays at the right time, carrying a team on your shoulders). Not talking "doing your job" here, Im talking about an actual significant impact.

Most games TJ was having a large impact on 2 or 3 of the three parts. TJ had an off shooting night, you still knew he would be the vocal and emotional leader, he would still lock down his man and anyone else he had to guard, he still busted his ass. For the most part, PJC is a guy who is typically a 1 for 3 guy, but 0 for 3 nights are not uncommon. 2 for 3 nights are few an far between and he has probably only had a couple 3 for 3 nights. That's the difference, on a bad night, TJ is still going to do multiple things to help you win the game. A bad night or even a semi-typical night, PJC just "exists." Basically, PJC needs to find more ways to positively impact more games. Assists may be equal on a score sheet, but PJC passing to Trier for a contested make with 3 seconds left on the shot clock is different than PJC burning his man off the dribble and kicking it to Trier for a wide-open make after his man had to leave his position to help.
I feel this, deuce.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:

You're absolutely right on my thoughts. Great point on assists vs creation as well. Assists mean your passes wound up in made shots. Being a creator means your passes triggered a shot that would otherwise not have existed. That is an intangible thing that is hard to measure, but I have never felt Parker does a lot of that.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Speaking of PJC, I'd missed that he was held out of practice and media day due to a thigh bruise.

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... f65.html#2" target="_blank

Sounds like he's back in action now.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

HiCat wrote:http://www.arizonawildcats.com/schedule ... hedule=388

University of Arizona Logo
Oct 20 (Fri) 7:00 PM MST PAC-12 NETWORKS
vs McDonald's Red-Blue Game
Tucson, Ariz.

Watch

Should be fun tonight. 8-)
Last edited by HiCat on Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

Check this one out that was posted earlier today...

http://bruinzone.com/b12/messages/2348.shtml" target="_blank
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Ristic named to the Kareem Watch List for best Center in basketball.

Four of our five (eventual) starters are now listed on preseason watch-lists for their position.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Just to the assist discussion above...5 assists in 27 minutes in college basketball is a good game.

Lonzo Ball led the NCAA last year with 7.61 APG. Ball played 35.1 minutes per game. At 27 minutes, 5.87 assists are necessary to equal the production of Ball, who, again, led the NCAA in assists.

So 5 assists in 27 minutes nears elite. The average assist leader over the last 20 years is around 8 assists per game, so not much more than Lonzo. Pros rack up the high total assists because of more minutes, less motion/more 2 man play, and more generous scoring officials.

The shooting was not great from PJC. But if he plays 35 minutes a game and dishes 6.5 assists per game (what the X game totals were), I would be very happy.

The other thing about assists is the shooter has to make the damn shot. We shot 43% from the field and 25.9% from 3. Having 5 assists in 27 minutes in that game is pretty solid, figuring how many unassisted shots were made in Zo's run.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Statfreak77 wrote:Check this one out that was posted earlier today...

Every road game is going to be brutal on Miller and the players.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

EVCat wrote:Just to the assist discussion above...5 assists in 27 minutes in college basketball is a good game.

Lonzo Ball led the NCAA last year with 7.61 APG. Ball played 35.1 minutes per game. At 27 minutes, 5.87 assists are necessary to equal the production of Ball, who, again, led the NCAA in assists.

So 5 assists in 27 minutes nears elite. The average assist leader over the last 20 years is around 8 assists per game, so not much more than Lonzo. Pros rack up the high total assists because of more minutes, less motion/more 2 man play, and more generous scoring officials.

The shooting was not great from PJC. But if he plays 35 minutes a game and dishes 6.5 assists per game (what the X game totals were), I would be very happy.

The other thing about assists is the shooter has to make the damn shot. We shot 43% from the field and 25.9% from 3. Having 5 assists in 27 minutes in that game is pretty solid, figuring how many unassisted shots were made in Zo's run.
I think Barcello is going to be in for way more minutes at the 1 than originally thought. He's definitely part of the future now, so the more we can develop him this year the better.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Signs with #apayersprogram will be seen at every road venue and you can bet that the TV people will show them prominently.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Ristic is going to get plenty of run but I can't wait to see this team run with Ayton at the 5.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Alkins, Akot, and Lee could all get burn at the four and I’d be happy.
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

Irish27 wrote:

Honestly, I think Miller's personality is one that will relish that. He just has to get the team to buy into that, which I think will happen.

It will be fun curb stomping a bunch of teams on the road this year.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Lee and Akot are both still very raw at this stage, but we have seen what a few weeks can do. With Rawle back, I think one of those two is the odd man out of the rotation, possibly both. The competition in practice has to be unreal. Senior Pinder fighting off two freshmen.

I do want to see some small ball w Ayton at the 5. I chuckled last night, as the length he typically had on him and all the tightly spaced athletes around him rendered him ineffective for extended periods. We just have so many weapons, theres gonna be quite a few nights where the games are going to be too fast for him to do much or even be able to establish good position and call for the ball, the ball will already be in the hoop. There was some creative passing last night, including a gem from Dusan. Maclean made a good point about him slamming it rather than everything else we have seen him do. Would be nice to see some mean/toughness out of him this year
gumby

Post by gumby »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Gotta sell naming rights to AZ Stadium next. Could probably fetch more dough for McKale, but renaming that would be a slippery slope.
Sure. Maybe Sunday buffets with the players and coaches. Sell off opportunities to retrieve balls when players practice jumpers. Can spot for them in the weight room. Start selling off pieces of Pac-12 title net. Sell off pieces of the university. That's some prime property beneath the library. Could put a Nike store there.
gumby

Post by gumby »

From the Not Making This Up file: How about naming rights for the coach's office?

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/wsu ... etic-fund/" target="_blank
It’s been a rough week for Washington State, which saw its football team’s undefeated season come to an end last Friday night at Cal, then found out Sunday that athletic director Bill Moos was leaving for Nebraska.

But things are looking up for the Cougars, who, on Thursday night, received a $500,000 donation from Wade Hogg for the naming rights to football coach Mike Leach’s office.
BTW, Wazzu prez is complaining about Pac-12 Network contract. First to do so. Not bringing the revenue expected.

Ours should join in.
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

Statfreak77 wrote:
Irish27 wrote:

Honestly, I think Miller's personality is one that will relish that. He just has to get the team to buy into that, which I think will happen.

It will be fun curb stomping a bunch of teams on the road this year.
Given the issue at hand, I, for one, don't see Miller "relishing" anything of the sort. More likely he will be dreading it but, "given his personality," he will deal with it.

For sure, there will be a lot of "curb stomping." If winning big provides you refuge, I suppose that's a good thing.

However, with no resolution in sight, Irish's assessment--brutal--seems more apropos.
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

uh oh Miller fanboys....Hansen's notebook today: http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... 440.html#2" target="_blank

Miller Goes Zone
Not many people noticed, but Sean Miller implemented a zone defense in the first half. And he almost never uses a zone defense — and only when in crisis.

But over the summer, Miller met with the Zen Master of zone defenses, Syracuse’s Jim Boeheim, in attempt to get a better understanding of what has been his club’s Achilles heel. Xavier shut down Arizona in last year’s Sweet 16 with use of a zone defense. By working with Boeheim, it shows that Miller isn’t too stubborn to change.
This is tooooo good, not only did he realize he'll never get to a FF without some zone, but he worked specifically with Boeheim/Syracuse!! :lol: :lol:

Should be fun watching the Pack-Line-Only-Apologists do a 180 on this one, lol
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

RiseAndFire wrote:uh oh Miller fanboys....Hansen's notebook today: http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... 440.html#2" target="_blank

Miller Goes Zone
Not many people noticed, but Sean Miller implemented a zone defense in the first half. And he almost never uses a zone defense — and only when in crisis.

But over the summer, Miller met with the Zen Master of zone defenses, Syracuse’s Jim Boeheim, in attempt to get a better understanding of what has been his club’s Achilles heel. Xavier shut down Arizona in last year’s Sweet 16 with use of a zone defense. By working with Boeheim, it shows that Miller isn’t too stubborn to change.
This is tooooo good, not only did he realize he'll never get to a FF without some zone, but he worked specifically with Boeheim/Syracuse!! :lol: :lol:

What's fun is that he'll still use man defense almost exclusively and we'll still win a lot of games and you'll still be completely wrong and a general idiot.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

RiseAndFire wrote:uh oh Miller fanboys....Hansen's notebook today: http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... 440.html#2" target="_blank

Miller Goes Zone

I read your website before I saw you comment here. I prefer your website.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Miller Goes Zone

Well, you know what? Lotsa people noticed that both the Red team and the Blue team played some zone. The announcers noticed it. Posters here remarked on it in the game thread. Even I recognized it and I am not what you would call remotely knowledgeable when it comes to 'X's and 'O's.

And as I pointed out in the game thread, the Red/Blue game is a PRACTICE GAME. You know PRACTICE! We talking 'bout PRACTICE here, man, PRACTICE. Whatchu talking 'bout, 'cause I'm talkin' 'bout PRACTICE.

Whether or not the Cats show 1 second of zone in a game is completely immaterial, they need to PRACTICE against it. Somebody is gonna use it against us and if we haven't PRACTICED against it how are we going to deal with it in a real game?

I am also perfectly comfortable, in fact I am ecstatic, that Coach can recognize a shortcoming, like his personal ability to teach zone, and go to the acknowledged expert to improve himself. That is exactly what the top people in every profession do if they want to keep improving.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Greg Hansen suggested Miller met with Boehiem over the summer to address his "zone" blindspot...

I'd definitely take a "win and vacate" of it meant Miller finally beat his zone-a-phobia
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

R&F, Miller trotted out a zone last year... This isn't even news.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Puerco wrote:R&F, Miller trotted out a zone last year... This isn't even news.
Yeah, he played zone in the R/B last year. I would suspect zone in practice is a fairly constant thing. It's how you teach players.

When we 2-3 our way to the Final Four, R+F can have his laugh. I'd be shocked if we did that, especially with a defensive weapon like Ayton.