let's talk '18

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: let's talk '18

Post by ChooChooCat »

Well fwiw.
3 super duper clean schools who have never done anything wrong ever and us.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:Well fwiw.
3 super duper clean schools who have never done anything wrong ever and us.
Maybe he wants the prestige of that UNC degree.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

I wonder if there is a coincidence with UNC being cleared and then Herro becoming available again?
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Irish27 wrote:I wonder if there is a coincidence with UNC being cleared and then Herro becoming available again?
It's not like they were having trouble recruiting before they were ultimately cleared.
gumby

Post by gumby »

If he comes here, I can hear the complaints already.

(misses last-second shot): "Herro ball!"
Right where I want to be.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

gumby wrote:If he comes here, I can hear the complaints already.

(misses last-second shot): "Herro ball!"
Or he picked "A Paid Program" for obvious reasons. I really wonder how many recruits Miller will end up with.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Thanks Book!!!

The gift that keeps on giving ......
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

FU BR
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I want our $15,000 back.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Well I guess he isn't going to play college... Kid has a dark cloud over him whether he had anything to with cloud or not.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

It will be a miracle if the remaining two commits remain part of the 2018 class; all other 5 star targets appear to have removed AZ from their lists.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PennZona20 wrote:Thanks Book!!!

We literally contracted herpes in Las Vegas last year.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Suuuuck.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Irish27 wrote:I wonder if there is a coincidence with UNC being cleared and then Herro becoming available again?
It's not like they were having trouble recruiting before they were ultimately cleared.
Agreed. Sort of amazing Roy still pulled in talent even though there were serious allegations and potential sanctions for UNC while under an ongoing NCAA investigation. Meanwhile they win a title. AZ has an assistant coach who gets nabbed in a FBI investigation, meanwhile the program is not formally being investigated by the NCAA, yet the entire recruiting class falls apart. Very frustrating. And now Bobby Hurley nabs another 5 star recruit? Disgusting.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

midnightx wrote:It will be a miracle if the remaining two commits remain part of the 2018 class; all other 5 star targets appear to have removed AZ from their lists.
I don't see Williams decommitting unless we lose Miller. The focus this weekend is wrapping up Reef and BWill. I think we'll be fine with those two barring the scenario I mentioned.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

In all honesty though can we change this thread name to "let's not talk about '18 any more."
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Silver lining - we don't have to worry about transfers due to players being recruited over.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Jaedon LeDee would eat ivy, too, wouldn't you?

/thread
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

It’s not that surprising, is it? Reef and BW are the ones we really can’t afford to lose. There are still a lot of uncommitted players out there, along with transfers and juco guys. I’m confident Miller will still pull in a decent class. It just won’t be the game-changing class we anticipated before the scandal.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
midnightx wrote:It will be a miracle if the remaining two commits remain part of the 2018 class; all other 5 star targets appear to have removed AZ from their lists.
I don't see Williams decommitting unless we lose Miller. The focus this weekend is wrapping up Reef and BWill. I think we'll be fine with those two barring the scenario I mentioned.
I know you've said we aren't in on it for Penn-Johnson, but that sort of developmental guy would be a nice add to the '18 class, since most of the big guys are locked up. Beyond that, there are always grad transfers to patch holes.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
I know you've said we aren't in on it for Penn-Johnson, but that sort of developmental guy would be a nice add to the '18 class, since most of the big guys are locked up. Beyond that, there are always grad transfers to patch holes.
Honestly who knows what our strategy is going forward in the near term. I can't imagine anything different than grad transfers/International/JUCO guys though.

I mean if I'm Arizona pending injuries I'd redshirt Keanu Pinder this year for sure, hope Randolph comes back to further his stock and roll with this lineup next year:

PG: Williams/Barcello
SG: Randolph/Smith
SF: Akot/Randolph/Smith
PF: Lee/O'Neal/Pinder
C: Jeter/Grad transfer/JUCO/International

Fill whatever holes we can and honestly I'd look at quality transfers before I'd add a 3 star or anything. We'd need short term bandaids more than anything. We should be able to recover recruiting completely with the 2019 and 2020 guys.

In regards to Penn-Johnson I said that when we were pretty much a shoe in for Bol. Who knows wtf we do or even can do on regular 2018 recruits? I certainly wouldn't get my hopes up with any 2018 HS kids, Herro included.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

The only logical move, separate yourself from the "problem." Still think he's done with CBB though
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote:The only logical move, separate yourself from the "problem." Still think he's done with CBB though
I'm not sure I get that logic. Doing this is sort of a tacit admission that there's probably an issue with Quinerly and Book. If Quinerly took money, it doesn't matter where he goes, his eligibility is done.

The better logic would be to ride with the idea that he made his choice for AZ independent of $, because his mom either didn't get cash or if she did, Quinerly was unaware. That helps him more with eligibility, which is his major issue right now.

But the world is a crazy place. Who knows.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Jefe wrote:The only logical move, separate yourself from the "problem." Still think he's done with CBB though
I'm not sure I get that logic. Doing this is sort of a tacit admission that there's probably an issue with Quinerly and Book. If Quinerly took money, it doesn't matter where he goes, his eligibility is done.

The better logic would be to ride with the idea that he made his choice for AZ independent of $, because his mom either didn't get cash or if she did, Quinerly was unaware. That helps him more with eligibility, which is his major issue right now.

It's all about optics from at this point from both Arizona's perspective and Quinerly's. The same went for Nassir Little.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:
PG: Williams/Barcello
SG: Randolph/Smith
SF: Akot/Randolph/Smith
PF: Lee/O'Neal/Pinder
C: Jeter/Grad transfer/JUCO/International
I'm fine with that team. Honestly I think we're lucky if we shake out with that squad in a year where we're worried about a post-season ban and getting recruited against with the same.

Personally... I'm sliding down the ramp of "what if we lose our class and lose Akot and Randolph to a now-or-never NBA draft decision." I know, I hate to say it.

Either way... Ira Lee, Chase Jeter, and Alex Barcello have become crucial to next year's success.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I'm not sure I get that logic. Doing this is sort of a tacit admission that there's probably an issue with Quinerly and Book. If Quinerly took money, it doesn't matter where he goes, his eligibility is done.
Anyone who read the court docs knows he's in deep doo-doo. His hundreds of thousands of social media followers probably don't. His comments section the last few weeks have been blowing up. Every major program's fans want him
Spaceman Spiff wrote:The better logic would be to ride with the idea that he made his choice for AZ independent of $, because his mom either didn't get cash or if she did, Quinerly was unaware. That helps him more with eligibility, which is his major issue right now.
He made it known 2-3 weeks ago they hired a lawyer so I imagine this was what they came up with. They know he is screwed and he has a very slim chance of keeping his amateur status. Proving he didn't know about the money probably doesn't matter at this point so anything he can do to separate himself from us could help.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

It's all about optics from at this point from both Arizona's perspective and Quinerly's. The same went for Nassir Little.
I'm just not sure the optics wind up with the impression given that he did it and is trying to distance himself from it. Stay here and he could at least claim it wasn't money based. Leaving...well, it sure seems like someone who thinks his hand got caught in the cookie jar and is now trying to get as far away from the jar as possible.
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

Jefe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:I'm not sure I get that logic. Doing this is sort of a tacit admission that there's probably an issue with Quinerly and Book. If Quinerly took money, it doesn't matter where he goes, his eligibility is done.
Anyone who read the court docs knows he's in deep doo-doo. His hundreds of thousands of social media followers probably don't. His comments section the last few weeks have been blowing up. Every major program's fans want him
Spaceman Spiff wrote:The better logic would be to ride with the idea that he made his choice for AZ independent of $, because his mom either didn't get cash or if she did, Quinerly was unaware. That helps him more with eligibility, which is his major issue right now.
He made it known 2-3 weeks ago they hired a lawyer so I imagine this was what they came up with. They know he is screwed and he has a very slim chance of keeping his amateur status. Proving he didn't know about the money probably doesn't matter at this point so anything he can do to separate himself from us could help.
He also set up and now deleted a burner account who was tweeting last night at people who were saying he accepted money, etc. following the announcement that he had decommitted.

I called him out on it, and he has now blocked me on Twitter. It was fun.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Statfreak77 wrote:
Jefe wrote:
He also set up and now deleted a burner account who was tweeting last night at people who were saying he accepted money, etc. following the announcement that he had decommitted.

It's pretty shitty, really. This kid's dream is out the window. If he doesn't somehow get eligible or somehow make an NBA roster at 6'1" then he missed the biggest stage he could ever play on. Just shitty.
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Statfreak77 wrote:
Jefe wrote:

It's pretty shitty, really. This kid's dream is out the window. If he doesn't somehow get eligible or somehow make an NBA roster at 6'1" then he missed the biggest stage he could ever play on. Just shitty.
He will always have the G-League or overseas.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Guessing this means he's solid
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

He’s solid. Reef is gonna be fun to watch next year.

Obviously the talent will be a little down next season, overall. But there are some nice pieces. All is not lost. We may still regain some recruiting momentum in the spring and land a couple more gems.

Bear down!

By the way, I was at the Cal game last night. Holy moly! Best AZ football game I’ve ever watched in person. I know it’s not the right thread. Just wanted to share. Lots of Cat fans in attendance.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Beachcat97 wrote:He’s solid. Reef is gonna be fun to watch next year.

Obviously the talent will be a little down next season, overall. But there are some nice pieces. All is not lost. We may still regain some recruiting momentum in the spring and land a couple more gems.

Bear down!

By the way, I was at the Cal game last night. Holy moly! Best AZ football game I’ve ever watched in person. I know it’s not the right thread. Just wanted to share. Lots of Cat fans in attendance.
Agreed and that's awesome you were there - looked great on TV and I was wishing I'd had the time to hop a SW flight from SNA.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

ChooChooCat wrote:

This seems far more of a one-off than ur analogy lol.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PennZona20 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

This seems far more of a one-off than ur analogy lol.
Lol even herpes flare ups decrease with time Penn.
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

Herpes in Las Vegas means ACE, right?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Anybody care to explain to me how USC is still landing high end 4 star recruits whilst they're in the literal same mess that we are?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:Anybody care to explain to me how USC is still landing high end 4 star recruits whilst they're in the literal same mess that we are?
They lost a 4 star after the news and right now are sitting on 3 4 stars. Adding Weaver is really the only difference between our recruiting class and SC's right now.

It's not like this is ideal, but I think it's because we had our sights set higher pre-crash. We were shooting for the stars, then the hit came.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

ChooChooCat wrote:Anybody care to explain to me how USC is still landing high end 4 star recruits whilst they're in the literal same mess that we are?
Enfield is a warlock?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
They lost a 4 star after the news and right now are sitting on 3 4 stars. Adding Weaver is really the only difference between our recruiting class and SC's right now.

It's not like this is ideal, but I think it's because we had our sights set higher pre-crash. We were shooting for the stars, then the hit came.
I'd much rather have Taeshon Cherry than either of our commits. With that being said Weaver is a very good and more than high enough rated prospect with plenty of options, the fact they landed him with all that is going on and we are currently cancerous to recruits is a bit ridiculous.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I'd much rather have Taeshon Cherry than either of our commits. With that being said Weaver is a very good and more than high enough rated prospect with plenty of options, the fact they landed him with all that is going on and we are currently cancerous to recruits is a bit ridiculous.
We need a PG, so I'd say Williams is most important. If we can keep Akot and Randolph, I think we will be fine. Lee impressed me during the R/B game.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I wonder what BR’s thinking is, going into the season. Is it a Kobi Simmons situation where he’s leaving after one year regardless. Or is it more open-ended? The early reviews on BR have been raving, so I’m going to appreciate whatever time we have him for.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:I wonder what BR’s thinking is, going into the season. Is it a Kobi Simmons situation where he’s leaving after one year regardless. Or is it more open-ended? The early reviews on BR have been raving, so I’m going to appreciate whatever time we have him for.
He did not come in with the hype Kobi had. I like BR, but I don't see him as a one and done. That doesn't mean he doesn't pull the trigger, but between the return of Rawle and the general state of the roster and his development, I don't see it. Kobi had the freaky physical tools. Randolph is good in that area, but not in the way you could see him going with knowledge someone will take him on just because of the tools.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:I wonder what BR’s thinking is, going into the season. Is it a Kobi Simmons situation where he’s leaving after one year regardless. Or is it more open-ended? The early reviews on BR have been raving, so I’m going to appreciate whatever time we have him for.
No.

If his stock is high enough he'd of course be foolish not to look into the option especially considering the unknown future our program faces, but he's not going to leave to go in the 2nd round or undrafted like Kobi.
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

It also has not been said, although it very well could be, that BR is surrounded by a bunch of money hungry, delusional fools that Kobi was surrounded by; whether that be his choice or not, I don't know.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

This is all encouraging about BR. He's been relatively unheralded up to this point, and he may turn out to be one of our most important players this year and next. I love his upside and expect him to make an immediate impact. Our guard depth is ridiculous, and Alkins isn't even playing yet.
SteveKerrsStroke

Post by SteveKerrsStroke »

Statfreak77 wrote:It also has not been said, although it very well could be, that BR is surrounded by a bunch of money hungry, delusional fools that Kobi was surrounded by; whether that be his choice or not, I don't know.
This is sarcasm, right?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

SteveKerrsStroke wrote:
Statfreak77 wrote:It also has not been said, although it very well could be, that BR is surrounded by a bunch of money hungry, delusional fools that Kobi was surrounded by; whether that be his choice or not, I don't know.
This is sarcasm, right?
I think he might mean Randolph is not surrounded by those guys like Kobi. It makes more sense that way, although I have a hard time reading it.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
SteveKerrsStroke wrote:
This is sarcasm, right?
I think he might mean Randolph is not surrounded by those guys like Kobi. It makes more sense that way, although I have a hard time reading it.
Whatever he's trying to say, Randolph does not remotely have the same issue that Kobi had. You will not see him mope and fully disappear once Rawle returns that is for certain. With that being said one issue Randolph does have that Kobi did not is he's already 20 years old as a freshman. Age of course has an impact on players' decisions on whether to return or not. In the end I fully expect Randolph to declare after this season to gauge his draft status (as he should) and if he's advised that he is indeed a 1st rounder that is likely good enough for him to go primarily due to his age. That is my opinion btw, no inside info there. Just with the uncertainty Arizona is facing after this season mixed with his age I think he's a shoe in to go IF he gets a 1st round grade, which based on his measureables, athleticism, and current offensive game is certainly a plausible scenario.