2017-2018 Arizona Basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

EOCT

Re: 2017-2018 Arizona Basketball

Post by EOCT »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Puerco wrote:R&F, Miller trotted out a zone last year... This isn't even news.
Yeah, he played zone in the R/B last year. I would suspect zone in practice is a fairly constant thing. It's how you teach players.

When we 2-3 our way to the Final Four, R+F can have his laugh. I'd be shocked if we did that, especially with a defensive weapon like Ayton.
(Spiff) "....especially with a defensive weapon like Ayton."
gumby

Post by gumby »

R&F is a bot.

Discuss.
Right where I want to be.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RiseAndFire wrote:uh oh Miller fanboys....Hansen's notebook today: http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... 440.html#2" target="_blank

Miller Goes Zone
Not many people noticed, but Sean Miller implemented a zone defense in the first half. And he almost never uses a zone defense — and only when in crisis.

But over the summer, Miller met with the Zen Master of zone defenses, Syracuse’s Jim Boeheim, in attempt to get a better understanding of what has been his club’s Achilles heel. Xavier shut down Arizona in last year’s Sweet 16 with use of a zone defense. By working with Boeheim, it shows that Miller isn’t too stubborn to change.
This is tooooo good, not only did he realize he'll never get to a FF without some zone, but he worked specifically with Boeheim/Syracuse!! :lol: :lol:

Should be fun watching the Pack-Line-Only-Apologists do a 180 on this one, lol
Isn’t the argument you make over and over and over that Miller’s unwillingness to implement or attack a zone is a stubborn blind spot that will prohibit him from ever being truly successful?

Nice self-own RiseAndFlail.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EOCT wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Yeah, he played zone in the R/B last year. I would suspect zone in practice is a fairly constant thing. It's how you teach players.

When we 2-3 our way to the Final Four, R+F can have his laugh. I'd be shocked if we did that, especially with a defensive weapon like Ayton.
To unpack that, the Pack Line is designed to limit penetration and force contested jumpers. We have never had a dude with basically an 8 foot wingspan who can touch the top of the backboard at the back end of the pack line.

The perimeter guys still need to do their job, but having such a incredible physical talent at the rim, well, even our best defensive teams didn't have that. You have the natural advantages of the pack line combined with a freaky rim protector...that equals a high ceiling on D.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:R&F is a bot.

Discuss.
I usually understand the point of Russian espionage, but this zone D propaganda effort is a strange one for me.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

gumby wrote:R&F is a bot.

Discuss.
BeEp bOop bOop bEep
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
EOCT wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

To unpack that, the Pack Line is designed to limit penetration and force contested jumpers. We have never had a dude with basically an 8 foot wingspan who can touch the top of the backboard at the back end of the pack line.

The perimeter guys still need to do their job, but having such a incredible physical talent at the rim, well, even our best defensive teams didn't have that. You have the natural advantages of the pack line combined with a freaky rim protector...that equals a high ceiling on D.
One main issue I have with the pack line is that its too easy to scheme against to pull Ayton away from the basket (or to single out Ristic). At least considering the way Miller has been running his rotations. If he is going to have Ristic and Ayton on the floor together for a majority of their minutes, you can draw Ayton out in ball screen coverage, leaving Ristic to protect the rim and cover rotations off our hard hedge/show.

Obviously, this is certainly more preferred than watching Ristic hedge and recover with no defender behind him, but...

Either way, last season I promised I wouldnt question our defense under Miller anymore, until I actually saw glaring issues, mainly with personnel. Just playing devils advocate, and something to keep an eye on.

-Shane Battier
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TucsonClip wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
EOCT wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

One main issue I have with the pack line is that its too easy to scheme against to pull Ayton away from the basket (or to single out Ristic). At least considering the way Miller has been running his rotations. If he is going to have Ristic and Ayton on the floor together for a majority of their minutes, you can draw Ayton out in ball screen coverage, leaving Ristic to protect the rim and cover rotations off our hard hedge/show.

Obviously, this is certainly more preferred than watching Ristic hedge and recover with no defender behind him, but...

Either way, last season I promised I wouldnt question our defense under Miller anymore, until I actually saw glaring issues, mainly with personnel. Just playing devils advocate, and something to keep an eye on.
I get your concern, but I've been counting on the pick your poison aspect you hit on. Ayton's length and mobility should make him great at hedge and recovery.

That way, the D either has to try to pull out the guy who is most equipped to hedge and recover or not try to pick and roll Ayton and let him be a rim eraser.

Combine that with matchups, and the ability to drop Ayton on a non-scorer, and I feel like we'll be ok. I get your concerns though. They are legit, but every D look gives something up. I think you're dead on that especially when Ristic and Ayton play together, if the other team tries to draw Ayton out, they give up trying to exploit Ayton.

I don't think we could really zone if Dusan and Ayton are both in the lineup. The big potential advantage is Ayton at the rim, but you can't play Dusan except as a middleman in the back line of a 2-3.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
EOCT wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Add exceptional rebounding as well, since the packline is predicated on the opponent taking bad shots it also requires our defense to corral those misses. Can't recall the game but there was one last year that we lost where we defended well but got out rebounded brutally. Hopefully Miller is chewing on Ayton's ear that every missed ball within the perimeter should be his.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
EOCT wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Add exceptional rebounding as well, since the packline is predicated on the opponent taking bad shots it also requires our defense to corral those misses. Can't recall the game but there was one last year that we lost where we defended well but got out rebounded brutally. Hopefully Miller is chewing on Ayton's ear that every missed ball within the perimeter should be his.
Pretty sure that was UCLA at home. Our D was fine, but we got murdered on the offensive glass down the stretch, and that's why we lost.
gumby

Post by gumby »

But, on average, we do quite well when it comes to rebounding.

Last two years, led conference in rebound margin and defensive rebounding. Three years ago, we swept all three categories, adding offensive rebounds.

We've also led conference in 3-point percentage defense the last two years.

We could get more steals and create more turnovers, but give up higher shooting percentage. We could go zone more often and surrender more boards.

Can't have everything.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

gumby wrote:Can't have everything.
Where would you keep it?
gumby

Post by gumby »

azgreg wrote:
gumby wrote:Can't have everything.
Where would you keep it?
Exactly Wright!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't to paint it.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Taking my 5 yo to the Chico exhibition...a day after his BBall tryouts...he was asking if it will be like the final 4 game we went to...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:Best Backcourt. :D

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2017/10/24/c/" target="_blank
That quote on PJC, "he's not bad" encapsulates so much about how I think of PJC. He is not bad. Is there more than the absence of bad in him?
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Time and date vs Chico state? I cant seem to find it online
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

CalStateTempe wrote:Time and date vs Chico state? I cant seem to find it online
Sunday, November 5th, 4pm Tucson time.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Bookmarks are your friend.

http://www.arizonawildcats.com/schedule ... hedule=388" target="_blank

Next game is Nov. 1.

So we're not playing any of these charity games I see other teams are playing?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:

Next game is Nov. 1.

Does it count if all proceeds from our exhibitions go to Book Richardson's legal defense fund?
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

gumby wrote:

Next game is Nov. 1.

Does our annual canned food drive trip to ASU count?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

You're only allowed to play 2 exhibition games in the preseason, which includes scrimmages. All these charity games were set up scrimmages that were meant to be private, but have since been changed for charity purposes. We already had the Eastern New Mexico & Chico games planned so that's all we could do.
gumby

Post by gumby »

ChooChooCat wrote:You're only allowed to play 2 exhibition games in the preseason, which includes scrimmages. All these charity games were set up scrimmages that were meant to be private, but have since been changed for charity purposes. We already had the Eastern New Mexico & Chico games planned so that's all we could do.
Are we playing our annual get-beat-by St. Marys scrimmage that really never happened?
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:So is 2018 looking to be a down year or do we have horses in the stable so to speak to mitgste the losses.

Note to self, reread and catch up on 2018 thread...
At the moment this is what our 2018-2019 roster will look like pending transfers:

PG - Alex Barcello
SG - Brandon Randolph, Dylan Smith
SF - Emmanuel Akot
PF - Ira Lee, Shareef O'Neal
C - Chase Jeter

Obviously there are numerous more recruits to be added to this namely a point guard, another wing, and a back up center. At the moment we wouldn't even have enough guys to practice 5 on 5. To answer your question though we'd have horses, but we're a good ways away from fielding a team still.
Chase Jeter is a ‘vital cog’ in Arizona’s future
The Duke transfer will likely be Arizona’s starting center in 2018-19 because, well, there might not be any other options
by Ryan Kelapire@RKelapire Oct 26, 2017, 12:15pm PDT

Looking for a fresh start — and to be closer to home — Jeter landed with Arizona which surprisingly lost big man Chance Comanche to the NBA Draft.

“We didn’t do a good enough job (recruiting him) our first time around,” Sean Miller said of Jeter in May, “but we became very familiar with his character and his talent level. And I’m here to tell you, when you look at where he’ll be in his career, his talent physically and what he’s gone through, I think we’re getting an excellent player.”

Miller called the acquisition a “big, big coup.”

“As big as anything we were able to do this spring,” Miller said in May.

The center’s progression as a whole will be paramount for the future of Arizona basketball.

The Wildcats added Jeter hoping he could become the player he was projected to be. Now, with Ristic and Ayton likely gone after this season and recruits hard to come by, they are banking on it.

“Chase will be a vital cog in our future,” Miller affirmed. “He really will.

“He’s smart, plays both ends, is very deceptive defensively,” Miller characterized Jeter’s game. “He blocks shots, has the ability to offensive and defensive rebound and plays well with other very good players.”

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... e-transfer" target="_blank
Last edited by HiCat on Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

HiCat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:So is 2018 looking to be a down year or do we have horses in the stable so to speak to mitgste the losses.

Note to self, reread and catch up on 2018 thread...
At the moment this is what our 2018-2019 roster will look like pending transfers:

PG - Alex Barcello
SG - Brandon Randolph, Dylan Smith
SF - Emmanuel Akot
PF - Ira Lee, Shareef O'Neal
C - Chase Jeter

Obviously there are numerous more recruits to be added to this namely a point guard, another wing, and a back up center. At the moment we wouldn't even have enough guys to practice 5 on 5. To answer your question though we'd have horses, but we're a good ways away from fielding a team still.

Chase Jeter is a ‘vital cog’ in Arizona’s future
The Duke transfer will likely be Arizona’s starting center in 2018-19 because, well, there might not be any other options
by Ryan Kelapire@RKelapire Oct 26, 2017, 12:15pm PDT

Looking for a fresh start — and to be closer to home — Jeter landed with Arizona which surprisingly lost big man Chance Comanche to the NBA Draft.

“We didn’t do a good enough job (recruiting him) our first time around,” Sean Miller said of Jeter in May, “but we became very familiar with his character and his talent level. And I’m here to tell you, when you look at where he’ll be in his career, his talent physically and what he’s gone through, I think we’re getting an excellent player.”

Miller called the acquisition a “big, big coup.”

“As big as anything we were able to do this spring,” Miller said in May.

The center’s progression as a whole will be paramount for the future of Arizona basketball.

The Wildcats added Jeter hoping he could become the player he was projected to be. Now, with Ristic and Ayton likely gone after this season and recruits hard to come by, they are banking on it.

“Chase will be a vital cog in our future,” Miller affirmed. “He really will.

“He’s smart, plays both ends, is very deceptive defensively,” Miller characterized Jeter’s game. “He blocks shots, has the ability to offensive and defensive rebound and plays well with other very good players.”

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... e-transfer" target="_blank
Thanks for the share, Hi!

Great to hear Coach's words on Jeter. He looked poised and mature in his short Red Blue. Six points, two blocks( no boards) in 12 mins. Especially liked the way he moved aggressively on D.

The knock at Duke was confidence and aggressiveness, so I've heard from a couple of Dukie buddies. But wait, the guy had to fill behind a seasoned Jefferson when J was injured, and had Giles and Bolden in the background. Maybe tough for an 18 year old with maniac Duke fans effing with you because you're "not living up to expectations". Now he's older, practicing full-on with Ayton, Ristic, Lee, Pinder and holding his own. Looks poised and solid.

If we hold on to Choo's list and pick up a few key transfer '18 should work out. Especially in the wake of killing it this season.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Did we lose Brandon Williams or something?
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Did we lose Brandon Williams or something?
Thanks SS... I was thinking the same thing... CCC are you expecting him to back out?
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

baycat93 wrote:
Thanks SS... I was thinking the same thing... CCC are you expecting him to back out?
Naw, the dude just quoted a post from May. BW didn't arrive until June.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

So, are we running the table or what?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

threenumberones wrote:
baycat93 wrote:
Naw, the dude just quoted a post from May. BW didn't arrive until June.
Ah. Missed that. Back in May; those were simpler times.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

yes i would thoroughly enjoy us going 40-0 and winning it all even if we had to give the trophy back. just win baby.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Kenpom on Reddit says Alonzo Trier should be on the list for POY he was live today and also said that sometimes the metrics for the Pac12 get a little off because its hard to watch our games...he referred to last year as an example where watching a team and his metrics did not line up...(but said the losses in the tourney saved him from having to face those facts)

https://www.reddit.com/r/CollegeBasketb ... asketball/" target="_blank
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

He also expects us to be the last unbeaten, assuming we win Atlantis.

-Shane Battier
gumby

Post by gumby »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Miller says they're running zone defense in practice in a way they haven't before in order to prepare their zone offense. Also preparing for trapping in the low post in order to prepare Dusan and DeAndre for what they're likely to see from teams.

Influence of having an "opposing coach's" mind on the bench.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Miller commenting on Allonzo working on his point guard skills: still difficult for him because he's a scorer and as the primary ball handler you have to get the ball out of your hands quickly.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Starters if everyone is healthy are as expected: PJC, Trier, Rawle, Ayton, Ristic.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Akot and Randolph have complimentary strengths and can play together on the wing. Randolph the scorer and Akot the defender/passer.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

DeAndre is great in the zone because you can toss the ball over the top to him, he can offensive rebound, and he's smart enough in there to make the team better. It's great to know that early.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Miller glad for the expansion of the coach's box so that he's not traveling outside of it or straining his voice to yell instructions to his team. Good for coaches who like to communicate from the bench.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I missed a lot of the presser but typed what I could as it went live. Hope to watch again when I have more time.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Clutch posts YDF, thanks man:
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:DeAndre is great in the zone because you can toss the ball over the top to him, he can offensive rebound, and he's smart enough in there to make the team better. It's great to know that early.
Truth. Ayton's ability on the offensive glass and versatility are huge against the zone. He can go elbow to rim without a dribble.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Dylan, Dylan, Dylan...

YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Dylan Smith has "quietly" been very good in practice - he'd be in the running for Rawle's spot in the starting line-up if not for the off the court issue that has him suspended.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Akot is playing almost exclusively on the wing (which I like - it's great to have a wing player that can pass well along with a primary ball handler).

Sounds like Barcello is ahead of Trier at the back-up PG spot (we'll see how that shakes out as the rotation tightens).
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Miller says it's hard to run an uptempo offense with his style of defense because the harder you are to score against, the longer the opposing team will take to shoot. "It's almost a negative against your own defense" if you're playing uptempo. Miller is relying on Romar's influence to try to push tempo and be a running team "but our defense isn't going to change because we believe in it so we're never going to be an ultra" uptempo team.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:Miller says it's hard to run an uptempo offense with his style of defense because the harder you are to score against, the longer the opposing team will take to shoot. "It's almost a negative against your own defense" if you're playing uptempo. Miller is relying on Romar's influence to try to push tempo and be a running team "but our defense isn't going to change because we believe in it so we're never going to be an ultra" uptempo team.
This is more truth. To really push pace, you need an aggressive D that is built to either get a steal or give up an opportunity. Pack line isn't that. It centers on limiting the other team's chance at a good shot. If you play it right, you get a lot of contested J's late in the shot clock.