Strategery

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Strategery

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

So, there are some strategic constants in Miller/Arizona basketball. We play pack line and motion offense. There are also areas open for variation based on personnel year to year. Here are some of the areas I think we have room for strategic deviations with this group.

1. Playing without a true PG. Being blunt, PJC is the weakest starter and we probably don't know what Barcello brings. So, do we play without a true PG?

Trier and Akot are the most likely suspects, especially since Rawle would be my third choice and he's sidelined. Right now, I don't think it's crazy to suspect you only get 30 minutes out of Parker/Barcello, leving time for something else.

I was actually really impressed by Akot in R/B. When he gets a J, he will be big time.

The major advantage here is that our wing rotation is so deep that it makes sense to free some time up for a guy like Dylan Smith. We have more game ready guys on the wing than at PG unless Barcello is ready for 15 a night.

2. Twin Towers or nah? We have Dusan and Ayton, who are our presumptive starters. How often will we complement one with Lee or Pinder in a slightly smaller look?

There are enough opponents with smaller looks that we will likely need Lee, Pinder and even Akot to give us a look vs stretch 4's. Ayton can do it, but is probably vulnerable to foul trouble. Ayton (like Lauri) is so good we have to protect him.

I'm interested to see how we develop this and the balance between the Ayton/Dusan look and the other. I would not be shocked to see an Ayton plus Lee/Pinder/Akot look emerge as out best defensive lineup, because it still has rim protection and length while also being super mobile.

3. Tempo. This sort of plays into the first two, because Dusan's presence and who we have handling probably helps dictate our pace. When Dusan sits, we are super deep and have a lot of guys who can run.

Do we do that? We have so many athletes, I'd love to think so. On the other hand, you usually want a more defined triggerman, and Parker has never really been big at being a transition creator.

4. How deep is too deep? We have 10, maybe 11 guys ready for minutes this year. In years past, Miller has not gone that deep. Is this the year?

This is one of the most intriguing questions for me. We have that ability, but a lot of it hinges on the readiness of guys like Lee, Akot and Barcello. I liked what I saw out of them in R/B, but it is not Miller's usual MO.

I love Miller, but his rotation constriction is my biggest area of disagreement with his philosophy. I would like to see him ride maximum depth rotations until the NCAA tourney. We're going to win a lot, so we might as well develop all our rotation guys as much as possible, even if it is the difference between a 1 and 2 seed. Having seasoned rotation guys helps when Rawle breaks a finger vs St. Mary's.

Feel free to add, these are the major strategic issues I think exist, but I'm sure plenty more can present.
Statfreak77

Re: Strategery

Post by Statfreak77 »

Miller has stated that Akot is no longer being considered for PG duties. So, we can scratch that idea.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Statfreak77 wrote:Miller has stated that Akot is no longer being considered for PG duties. So, we can scratch that idea.
I'd keep it out there to the extent that we played Keanu Pinder for his first minutes of the game with under 10 to play against XU in the Sweet 16. I.e., that necessity may drive us to certain things.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I just want to see a Trier, Randolph, Rawle, Akot, Ayton line-up. Give me that pls. Or an early Trier, Randolph, Akot, Lee, Ayton. I want that position-less basketball baby.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:I just want to see a Trier, Randolph, Rawle, Akot, Ayton line-up. Give me that pls. Or an early Trier, Randolph, Akot, Lee, Ayton. I want that position-less basketball baby.
That first lineup...I think it might be our best in terms of talent plus athleticism. Dusan is great at being Dusan, but I get how your lineup is built for speed and Dusan does not fit that. Also, dropping Parker means all 5 guys are individual scoring threats (maybe for Akot) with tremendous length and ability to cover ground.

Both those lineups mean Trier and Akot have to be ready to bring the ball up, IMO. Even if Akot isn't a PG, I would expect other teams to try to attack the ballhandling in that lineup, and having him as an option is huge.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

first off -- thx, Spiff for the info and color

my line-up/rotation to 'win the whole fucking thing'

Trier
Alkins
Randolph
Ayton
Ristic

Akot
Cartwright/Smith/Barcello
Pinder
Lee
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote:first off -- thx, Spiff for the info and color

my line-up/rotation to 'win the whole fucking thing'

Trier
Alkins
Randolph
Ayton
Ristic

Akot
Cartwright/Smith/Barcello
Pinder
Lee
My only concern is that a smaller team like the Oregon team we've seen these last few years might take us to the cleaners with Ayton/Ristic paired. Against a more conventional team, I agree with you if Trier is ready for the primary ballhandler.

I get the logic, but worry that you don't want to lose Zo's effectiveness having him play that role. We won't know until we try, but I don't want to have him patch a hole only to see the things he dominates on fall by the wayside.
psiclist23

Post by psiclist23 »

Trier brings the ball up. He's deadly so if they don't double him... layup. Double him and he passes to a shooter. Sounds easy to me. :D
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

If PJC isn't a starter in March, I'd be fairly surprised.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:If PJC isn't a starter in March, I'd be fairly surprised.
Starters may not be finishers.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

I'll be surprised if PJC is a starter in March. In his three years, PJC has failed to separate himself as a consistent threat. He's been a role player. Solid at times but also a liability. During the NCAA tournament, if your team has a weakness, opponents will exploit it. PJC may pass a few of the tests against tough opponents. But I don't see him as the type of player who can consistently perform in a manner in which opponents will say, "don't bother testing that guy, let's make someone else beat us."
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

zonagrad wrote:
I'll be surprised if PJC is a starter in March. In his three years, PJC has failed to separate himself as a consistent threat. He's been a role player. Solid at times but also a liability. During the NCAA tournament, if your team has a weakness, opponents will exploit it. PJC may pass a few of the tests against tough opponents. But I don't see him as the type of player who can consistently perform in a manner in which opponents will say, "don't bother testing that guy, let's make someone else beat us."
I agree. On the one hand, PJC as the team’s true point guard is Miller’s doing. On the other hand, Miller understands that having an exploitable weakness at point guard is like offering to have your head chopped off. He’ll be a valuable backup.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

I think PJC and Ristic will have to be played situationally. They both bring so much on the offensive end that you kind of have to play them, but against certain lineups the matchups will dictate different looks. Hopefully they're each okay with that.

Akot's vision in the RB was impressive, I thought. But he's a freshman who hasn't played primarily at the point, so seeing him there would be a massive surprise. I could see a lineup with Trier bringing the ball up and Akot playing point forward though.

Lots of potential lineups on this team. I want to see who morphs into a defensive stopper. Akot? Randolph? Rawle? Trier?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

zonagrad wrote:
This is year 3 of Parker being a presumptive starter. The previous two, he's lost that role. Each year, it seems like everyone's ready for him to turn the corner into our consistent PG who displays the qualities you list. Each year, it has not happened.

I would love to see Parker develop, but I totally have an attitude that until he proves it against the big boys, this is more than likely a repeat of his soph/junior campaign.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

A lot of PJC doubters. I suppose he's earned it. Any chance we can fly TJM in for a little PG bootcamp before Pac play starts? Sorta feel like every AZ point guard from here on out needs to study TJ's game.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Puerco wrote:I think PJC and Ristic will have to be played situationally. They both bring so much on the offensive end that you kind of have to play them, but against certain lineups the matchups will dictate different looks. Hopefully they're each okay with that.

Akot's vision in the RB was impressive, I thought. But he's a freshman who hasn't played primarily at the point, so seeing him there would be a massive surprise. I could see a lineup with Trier bringing the ball up and Akot playing point forward though.

Lots of potential lineups on this team. I want to see who morphs into a defensive stopper. Akot? Randolph? Rawle? Trier?
Pretty thoroughly agree here.

To Spiff's question regarding a Trier/Akot ball handling line-up... yes I think the two of them are gifted enough passers that you don't need a traditional point guard, especially in a motion offense. They'll need time to develop instincts and chemistry but I think that line-up works later in the season.

I really like PJC and Ristic on offense and they're both seniors. It seems likely they'll start all year. But there were times when we had to yank one or the other last year (PJC getting bullied while trying to bring the ball up comes to mind, Ristic getting bullied on the block by Xavier does as well).

PJC... I'm a pretty consistent cheerleader for him. But he needs to perform in big games and he just hasn't shown that ability. In 2016 it was turnovers and poor shooting. In 2017 it was poor shooting and an inability to get to the line. If he can't play well in the big game then we can't expect him to play in March. And if that's how it's gonna be... well we better have a plan in place that doesn't rely on him.
Last edited by YoDeFoe on Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
In PJCs defense, he has been a nice finisher for us more times than not. I can think of several games where he stunk up the floor all game, only to hit a big 3 and dish out a couple of nice assists off of his creation with his dribble in the final few minutes. Since you're probably going to go there, I preemptively agree that the defense will still be a concern, dependent on who the other team has on the floor in crunch time.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
In PJCs defense, he has been a nice finisher for us more times than not. I can think of several games where he stunk up the floor all game, only to hit a big 3 and dish out a couple of nice assists off of his creation with his dribble in the final few minutes. Since you're probably going to go there, I preemptively agree that the defense will still be a concern, dependent on who the other team has on the floor in crunch time.
That's fair. He hit a big one vs MSU off the top of my head.

It's competition, though. Alkins and Trier will be out there, and competing vs Randolph/Akot, well, it's tough competition.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
That's fair. He hit a big one vs MSU off the top of my head.

It's competition, though. Alkins and Trier will be out there, and competing vs Randolph/Akot, well, it's tough competition.
PJC also had that drive late against UCLA that he put off the bottom of the backboard... until Lauri grabbed the rebound and flushed it through.