Lauri Markkanen

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Jefe

Re: Lauri Markkanen

Post by Jefe »

Is there a Lauri twitter hater yet like TJ has? Would love to follow them

Lauri already 2nd all time in PPG for UA Pros :lol: Behind Gilbert by 1. He's gonna have a great season with their lack of bench talent.

https://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/conf ... ba-players" target="_blank
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Lauri is destroying the Cavs tonight
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dcZONAfan wrote:Lauri is destroying the Cavs tonight
At the half, Rondae has 12 points in 14 minutes and Aaron has 24 points in 17 minutes in the Nets/Magic game. It is a good night for our recent alums.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

prh

Post by prh »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
At the half, Rondae has 12 points in 14 minutes and Aaron has 24 points in 17 minutes in the Nets/Magic game. It is a good night for our recent alums.
Rondae finished with 18 and AG had 41 on 14-18 shooting, 5-5 from 3 pt. Great night.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

prh wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Rondae finished with 18 and AG had 41 on 14-18 shooting, 5-5 from 3 pt. Great night.
I have high hopes this is the year Aaron really breaks through.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:
https://youtu.be/5HIjvidyshE" target="_blank

If you want to watch all ten. Lauri has such a smooth stroke and footwork for a 7 footer.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Once Lauri becomes a full grown man he’s gonna be a major force in the league. Love it!

http://www.espn.com/blog/chicago/bulls/ ... -impressed" target="_blank

“Very confident," James said of Markkanen. "Watched him a lot at Arizona. Watched him a lot. He wore my shoe a couple times ... he wore my retro Brons a couple times. I like that. I had to stay up very late to watch those Arizona games. A very confident kid, shoot the heck out of the ball. He's going to continue to get better. The best thing about it is he's getting an opportunity. If he makes mistakes, he can learn on the fly, but he's going to play a lot. He's good. It seems like he's learning. He's a good player."
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

gumby

Post by gumby »

5-5 on threes. Aaron Gordon? Wow.
Right where I want to be.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Were talking about Lauri on the DP show this morning.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

pokinmik wrote:Once Lauri becomes a full grown man he’s gonna be a major force in the league. Love it!

“Very confident," James said of Markkanen. "Watched him a lot at Arizona. Watched him a lot. He wore my shoe a couple times ... he wore my retro Brons a couple times. I like that. I had to stay up very late to watch those Arizona games. A very confident kid, shoot the heck out of the ball. He's going to continue to get better. The best thing about it is he's getting an opportunity. If he makes mistakes, he can learn on the fly, but he's going to play a lot. He's good. It seems like he's learning. He's a good player."
Even Lebron complains about our start times.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
pokinmik wrote:Once Lauri becomes a full grown man he’s gonna be a major force in the league. Love it!

If LeBron had named Larry Scott specifically, he would become my favorite NBA player.

I do like the implication that you have to be LeBron to get access to P12 Network, though.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Funny, I didnt see LeBron refer to Lauri as another Channing Frye type player.

That was the most ridiculous, lazy, and maddingly regurgitated, take on Lauri's game. Im still mad people were spreading that shit around the country.

NOT. EVEN. CLOSE.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TucsonClip wrote:

Funny, I didnt see LeBron refer to Lauri as another Channing Frye type player.

That was the most ridiculous, lazy, and maddingly regurgitated, take on Lauri's game. Im still mad people were spreading that shit around the country.

NOT. EVEN. CLOSE.
The Euro big man level of Nowitzki, Bargnani and Gallinari is the orbit I see Lauri in. Bargnani is the low end, Dirk the high end. Lauri probably falls in between somewhat.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Hell of a 1H but he was non-existent in the 2H. He needs to put on some lbs. The Cavs did a great job on him in the 2H but the bigger problem was Hoiberg benching him for so long. Coaching lost that game
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Jefe wrote:Hell of a 1H but he was non-existent in the 2H. He needs to put on some lbs. The Cavs did a great job on him in the 2H but the bigger problem was Hoiberg benching him for so long. Coaching lost that game
Needs to be more physical in the post when they go small against him. The Cavs put Jeff Green on him instead of Love and switched every pick so he (and the rest of the Bulls) couldn't get open and then he kinda just floats on the perimeter. Unfortunately the Bulls don't have a player that can break down defenses right now to get Lauri looks and they rely heavily on executing their offense perfectly, which is pretty easy for teams to stop when they start trying. Hopefully Lavine coming back can help Lauri be more effective.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Ya he looked pretty comfortable with Gasol on him.

You can't bring Lopez off the bench. I wonder if Lauri keeps this starting spot once Mirotic is ready
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Jefe wrote:Ya he looked pretty comfortable with Gasol on him.

You can't bring Lopez off the bench. I wonder if Lauri keeps this starting spot once Mirotic is ready
Bulls fans have gone from “We traded Butler for some euro stiff who only shoots college threes” to “See ya Mirotic! We drafted the future!” in three games.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

SunnyAZ wrote:
Jefe wrote:Hell of a 1H but he was non-existent in the 2H. He needs to put on some lbs. The Cavs did a great job on him in the 2H but the bigger problem was Hoiberg benching him for so long. Coaching lost that game
Needs to be more physical in the post when they go small against him. The Cavs put Jeff Green on him instead of Love and switched every pick so he (and the rest of the Bulls) couldn't get open and then he kinda just floats on the perimeter. Unfortunately the Bulls don't have a player that can break down defenses right now to get Lauri looks and they rely heavily on executing their offense perfectly, which is pretty easy for teams to stop when they start trying. Hopefully Lavine coming back can help Lauri be more effective.
I said the same about him at Arizona. Lauri is dynamite off the pick and pop or catch and shoot. The next iteration that takes him to another level is when he is able to create his own shots, either by putting it on the floor against big guys or using his frame to impose on smaller guys.

The Bulls don't have a lot of guys to take the focus of the D off him right now either. That makes it harder for him, but hopefully will drive his growth in what is otherwise a lost year for the Chi.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Wow. I was impressed with Felder last night. He can get anywhere he wants but gets stuck sometimes and has to force it. Denzel got hot late as well.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

He's only showing the most pro-ready part of his game, too.

He is still a 7 footer with amazing handle for a 7 footer, who can drive left, spin right and finish at 19 years old. As his body matures into a 23, 24 year old athlete with nutritionists, continued weights, and full-time work, he is going to be able to take away aggressive close outs with additional offensive tools. If he just stays a spot up shooting 7 footer for his career, a great gift has been wasted.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

EVCat wrote:He's only showing the most pro-ready part of his game, too.

He is still a 7 footer with amazing handle for a 7 footer, who can drive left, spin right and finish at 19 years old. As his body matures into a 23, 24 year old athlete with nutritionists, continued weights, and full-time work, he is going to be able to take away aggressive close outs with additional offensive tools. If he just stays a spot up shooting 7 footer for his career, a great gift has been wasted.
Exactly, EV----beautifully summed up. Coach Miller was on this right from the start, and pushed Lauri in the growth direction during the second half of our season. Sure, Lauri may have gotten a bit nervous when Coach pushed him off the spot-up only game, but the reward for Lauri was starting his growth arc to a complete player using his remarkable all-around skillset
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Ive been on Lauri's creation potential since early last season when Miller ran him off double staggers, PNR ball handler going left, and DHOs. Channing Frye he is NOT.

-Shane Battier
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TucsonClip wrote:Ive been on Lauri's creation potential since early last season when Miller ran him off double staggers, PNR ball handler going left, and DHOs. Channing Frye he is NOT.
He is not a point forward, but he is a legit passer. His pullup game has always been excellent. From 15-17 feet, he's basically automatic.

He needs to acclimate and learn how to create those shots for himself on the pro level. When he does, knocking them down will not be the issue.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:Ive been on Lauri's creation potential since early last season when Miller ran him off double staggers, PNR ball handler going left, and DHOs. Channing Frye he is NOT.
He is not a point forward, but he is a legit passer. His pullup game has always been excellent. From 15-17 feet, he's basically automatic.

He needs to acclimate and learn how to create those shots for himself on the pro level. When he does, knocking them down will not be the issue.
He needs a right hand or his creation ability is going to be sapped in the coming weeks.

-Shane Battier
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TucsonClip wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

He needs a right hand or his creation ability is going to be sapped in the coming weeks.
Being a part of the Bulls hurts. They don't exactly have a lot of options to take heat off Lauri.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Chicat wrote:

Yes but some may say Arizona bb only has a regional following, east coasters be damned, and therefore game should start at 8pm. Cause larger market share in prime time in the west.

I disagree with that kind of thinking but it's out there.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Double Double tonight, including that late dagger three.
gumby

Post by gumby »

The Finnisher. (cashes royalty check)
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Aaron, Rondae, and Lauri are balling this year. TJ is solid. Stanley is struggling. Then all the old heads being old heads.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

The part of Lauri's game I love so far is the double digit rebounding. You know he can shoot, but showing he's ready to be a contributor in other areas is great. Those Ryan Anderson comparisons, well, Ryan Anderson doesn't put up double figure averages in RPG.
gumby

Post by gumby »

SunnyAZ wrote:Aaron, Rondae, and Lauri are balling this year. TJ is solid. Stanley is struggling. Then all the old heads being old heads.
If you would've told me Jaylen Brown would be that much better than SJ, I wouldn't have believed it. He's definitely a guy who benefits from the pro style. In college, he would barrel into people and get called for it. As opposed to Harden, who would barrel into people and get the call.

C'est la vie, say the old folks, it goes to show you never can tell.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

gumby wrote:
SunnyAZ wrote:Aaron, Rondae, and Lauri are balling this year. TJ is solid. Stanley is struggling. Then all the old heads being old heads.
If you would've told me Jaylen Brown would be that much better than SJ, I wouldn't have believed it. He's definitely a guy who benefits from the pro style. In college, he would barrel into people and get called for it. As opposed to Harden, who would barrel into people and get the call.

C'est la vie, say the old folks, it goes to show you never can tell.
I would've. Coming out I compared JB to Stanley except that JB was more agile/athletic and had more dribble ability.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

:shock:
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:The part of Lauri's game I love so far is the double digit rebounding.
Yep. I expected this offense, not rebounding.

Been hilarious to watch the complete 180 about Lauri on social media, especially with Bulls fans. Went from "bust" and "we could have had Dennis Smith" to "Rookie of the Year" and talks of building around him. He is the talk of the rookie class so far, at least from what I have seen. Here is what is scary: Lauri still hasn't played with a great point guard (emphasis on point guard, no offense to Kadeem) in the United States. When that finally happens and they got some time to get comfortable with a two-man game, look the F out.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Stanley shot 0-13 opening game. Wipe that game from the records and he is 21-43 (49%) from the floor and 8 for 21 (38%) from 3. The biggest thing to me though is the minutes Van Gundy has been giving him - approximately 36, 31 and 41 in his last three games. Van Gundy has been on the record multiple times expressing frustration about Stanley, because he knows how good the kid can really be if he gets things right between the ears.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

rgdeuce wrote:
Stanley shot 0-13 opening game. Wipe that game from the records and he is 21-43 (49%) from the floor and 8 for 21 (38%) from 3. The biggest thing to me though is the minutes Van Gundy has been giving him - approximately 36, 31 and 41 in his last three games. Van Gundy has been on the record multiple times expressing frustration about Stanley, because he knows how good the kid can really be if he gets things right between the ears.
It was never a given that Stanley was going to make it in the NBA. He doesn't have the athleticism that those other guys do. He muscled people around in college and that isn't going to get it done in the league. From what I've seen he has become a spot shooter. Dude needs to be a better finisher within 5ft and develop a mid-range game, otherwise that ceiling isn't going anywhere.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

rgdeuce wrote:
It seems to be an understanding has been reached in Detroit...Stanley is good enough to help Van Gundy win, and Stanley has come a little closer to listen and not act like he knows it all, and has probably learned a bit from VG once the "feud" cooled to a simmer. VG not destroying Stanley after the o-fer was likely an opportunity for VG, and he took it...he offered an hand, and Stanley clearly took it. They will never be besties, but there is a lot to learn from that man, and if Stanley will just be as mature as he was here his one season, he will be fine.

Lauri? Jeez...I told Bulls fans I know they were not getting fleeced in this deal. No, Lauri won't be a #1 option that wins titles, but you have to be bad to be good in the NBA, and with the size of the market, the history, and a year of being really, really bad, they will add a high profile FA, a high level draft pick, and Lauri will be an amazing complement to that kind of star power. The NBA is, flat out, more suited for his skills than college. The spacing especially.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

threenumberones wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:
It was never a given that Stanley was going to make it in the NBA. He doesn't have the athleticism that those other guys do. He muscled people around in college and that isn't going to get it done in the league. From what I've seen he has become a spot shooter. Dude needs to be a better finisher within 5ft and develop a mid-range game, otherwise that ceiling isn't going anywhere.
Stanley isn't an elite athlete alone, no, but when you factor in size and strength, his athleticism becomes an asset. He is also a very intelligent player when he wants to be. I see it like this: If Stanley never figures out the shooting and his head holds him back, he is still a nice piece off the bench if you have other shooters in the rotation. There is always a spot for a guy who can guard opponents 2s, 3s and 4s, and more in a pinch, even if he shoots 38% from the floor. If he marginally improves as a shooter, he is Ron Artest-lite (absent the few years Artest was really really good), if he figures it all out, he is or is close to a Ron Artest (when he was really really good). He could also be a guy who really takes off once he gets a change of scenery, be it he and Van Gundy aren't the best match personality wise, or alleviating the pressure of reaching expectations from the team who drafted him, and their fans.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

EVCat wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:
It seems to be an understanding has been reached in Detroit...Stanley is good enough to help Van Gundy win, and Stanley has come a little closer to listen and not act like he knows it all, and has probably learned a bit from VG once the "feud" cooled to a simmer. VG not destroying Stanley after the o-fer was likely an opportunity for VG, and he took it...he offered an hand, and Stanley clearly took it. They will never be besties, but there is a lot to learn from that man, and if Stanley will just be as mature as he was here his one season, he will be fine.

Lauri? Jeez...I told Bulls fans I know they were not getting fleeced in this deal. No, Lauri won't be a #1 option that wins titles, but you have to be bad to be good in the NBA, and with the size of the market, the history, and a year of being really, really bad, they will add a high profile FA, a high level draft pick, and Lauri will be an amazing complement to that kind of star power. The NBA is, flat out, more suited for his skills than college. The spacing especially.
Nice post. I'm not so sure I would rule Lauri out as the number 1 option on teams that win titles though. It is early, but he's had several games this year already where he is essentially putting the Bulls on his back when he is the lone man on the mountain, one of which came against the Cavs. You have to think exposure to that, especially immediately, is going to go a long way in terms of confidence and development. That was my one huge knock on Lauri, and I know many here shared the same sentiment. You look at what he has going for him now, if he further polishes his dribble drive, learns how to play inside/develops a back to the basket game, and gets a nice pick and roll/pop/fade partner, he's the type of guy who could go "Hakeem in the Finals," where it doesn't matter who and want you throw at him, he's scoring.
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:
EVCat wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:

Nice post. I'm not so sure I would rule Lauri out as the number 1 option on teams that win titles though. It is early, but he's had several games this year already where he is essentially putting the Bulls on his back when he is the lone man on the mountain, one of which came against the Cavs. You have to think exposure to that, especially immediately, is going to go a long way in terms of confidence and development. That was my one huge knock on Lauri, and I know many here shared the same sentiment. You look at what he has going for him now, if he further polishes his dribble drive, learns how to play inside/develops a back to the basket game, and gets a nice pick and roll/pop/fade partner, he's the type of guy who could go "Hakeem in the Finals," where it doesn't matter who and want you throw at him, he's scoring.
I'm not certain. I think Lauri's ceiling is a career like Dirk, and Dirk did win a chip as the star. That said, that Mavs team was one of the weakest champs in a while and got helped by the Heat and LeBron self destructing.

That said, I don't think it's crazy to see Lauri as a regular all-star and a building block of a team. If he could get surrounded with some Warriors type pieces, I think that would be ideal. Lauri is made to be a modern big guy on a team that plays positionless offense.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Lol, I thought the Simmons was referring to Kobi, not Ben.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Wish they didn't consider Simmons a rookie
gumby

Post by gumby »

threenumberones wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:
His limitations are somewhat surprising to me. I thought he was more skilled and savvy. Nick Johnson is a fantastic athlete, but McConnell is having the better experience. Wouldn't have predicted that either.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:
EVCat wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:

I'm not certain. I think Lauri's ceiling is a career like Dirk, and Dirk did win a chip as the star. That said, that Mavs team was one of the weakest champs in a while and got helped by the Heat and LeBron self destructing.

That said, I don't think it's crazy to see Lauri as a regular all-star and a building block of a team. If he could get surrounded with some Warriors type pieces, I think that would be ideal. Lauri is made to be a modern big guy on a team that plays positionless offense.

Lol. Well my counter argument would be, excluding the old days before free agency and when the league had far fewer teams, there arent a whole heck of a lot of Lebron, Wade and Bosh super teams. To me, that team deserves a ton of credit, more so than a Heat collapse. Even if that was one of several Lebron collapses. Plus its still possible for Lauri to be option #1 and not even be the best player on the team (eg having a Jason Kidd at PG and a Scottie Pippen on the wing).
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RG, I think you're right that it matters a lot the composition of the team. For instance, if Lauri joined up with Lonzo Ball, you could see how you don't need a top dog when your dogs are so diverse.

It's hard not to wonder about vs a superteam given the number of current NBA superteams, but who knows how the league looks when Lauri reaches his prime? I think one takeaway is that people are seeing the Dirk comparison as legit, and that means people are acknowledging there's a potential Lauri has a HOF level NBA career. Without more, that is a huge deal for Lauri and Arizona, and I think it is legit.
psiclist23

Post by psiclist23 »

The consensus here (mostly) seems to be the Lauri will be very good but not quite up to Dirk. I'm wondering what you see that gives you that opinion. Is there something about Lauri phiysically that would keep him behind? How good was Dirk his first few games in the League?

I don't have have a strong opinion one way or another but it seems like his ceiling is unknown at this time. He could be a lot better that Dirk. Who knows?