2017-2018 Arizona Basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

zonagrad

Re: 2017-2018 Arizona Basketball

Post by zonagrad »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:Miller says it's hard to run an uptempo offense with his style of defense because the harder you are to score against, the longer the opposing team will take to shoot. "It's almost a negative against your own defense" if you're playing uptempo. Miller is relying on Romar's influence to try to push tempo and be a running team "but our defense isn't going to change because we believe in it so we're never going to be an ultra" uptempo team.
This is more truth. To really push pace, you need an aggressive D that is built to either get a steal or give up an opportunity. Pack line isn't that. It centers on limiting the other team's chance at a good shot. If you play it right, you get a lot of contested J's late in the shot clock.
I think Arizona can be more aggressive defensively gambling to try to force turnovers this season. The difference is having Ayton as a rim protector. Last season, maybe it was style of defense or personnel, but Pinder was the leading shot blocker. That's surprisingly bad considering Markannen & Ristic are seven footers. Ayton is a different kind of athlete who will change shots. I think it allows athletic players like Akot, Randolph, Trier and Alkins to gamble in passing lanes a little more.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

zonagrad wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:Miller says it's hard to run an uptempo offense with his style of defense because the harder you are to score against, the longer the opposing team will take to shoot. "It's almost a negative against your own defense" if you're playing uptempo. Miller is relying on Romar's influence to try to push tempo and be a running team "but our defense isn't going to change because we believe in it so we're never going to be an ultra" uptempo team.
This is more truth. To really push pace, you need an aggressive D that is built to either get a steal or give up an opportunity. Pack line isn't that. It centers on limiting the other team's chance at a good shot. If you play it right, you get a lot of contested J's late in the shot clock.
I think Arizona can be more aggressive defensively gambling to try to force turnovers this season. The difference is having Ayton as a rim protector. Last season, maybe it was style of defense or personnel, but Pinder was the leading shot blocker. That's surprisingly bad considering Markannen & Ristic are seven footers. Ayton is a different kind of athlete who will change shots. I think it allows athletic players like Akot, Randolph, Trier and Alkins to gamble in passing lanes a little more.
Theoretically, yes. But, again, in the packline the emphasis is to stay within help range permanently. The goal is to force passes around the perimeter, to pressure the ball, and keep the ball out of the middle/contest jumpers. Miller doesnt want guys jumping passing lanes, as it breaks down the entire philosophy of his defense.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

So Dylan Smith running afoul of CSM already? Non-playing for Exhibition Games and Opener as well? Anyone know the story?
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Miller was raving about Smith in some Star article I just read this morning, so I'd take this suspension as a minor infraction and nothing more.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Arizona’s Dylan Smith suspended for season opener for violation of team rules
4 comments
Sean Miller said Smith is one of Arizona’s top seven players

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... eup-alkins" target="_blank
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TucsonClip wrote:
zonagrad wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Theoretically, yes. But, again, in the packline the emphasis is to stay within help range permanently. The goal is to force passes around the perimeter, to pressure the ball, and keep the ball out of the middle/contest jumpers. Miller doesnt want guys jumping passing lanes, as it breaks down the entire philosophy of his defense.
If there's a way things change, I would think it's an effort to maximize ball pressure, not trying to adjust playing passing lanes. I agree totally that being more aggressive off the ball compromises one of the primary strengths of the packline.

Being more aggressive on ball and trying to generate steals there makes some sense. We have depth, so perimeter players don't have to worry a ton about foul trouble. Ayton can erase a lot of the potential downsides of the downsides of excess ball pressure.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:
zonagrad wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
If there's a way things change, I would think it's an effort to maximize ball pressure, not trying to adjust playing passing lanes. I agree totally that being more aggressive off the ball compromises one of the primary strengths of the packline.

Being more aggressive on ball and trying to generate steals there makes some sense. We have depth, so perimeter players don't have to worry a ton about foul trouble. Ayton can erase a lot of the potential downsides of the downsides of excess ball pressure.
True, that could be an option. Counterpoint is, a breakdown at the point of attack also leads to open threes; which we know you can only defend by not allowing a team to attempt them. My hope is that we see more secondary break offense come from Romar, and we focus on drilling our young guys on the packline. Im not the biggest packline guy, but im not betting against Miller on defense. Whatever tweaks he decides to roll out, im all for.

If there was an exception to the packline, I would prefer to see a bit more full court trapping here and there, especially early in the season, to prepare for the inevitable scenario of losing late and not being able to bust a zone.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
loomer

Post by loomer »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:
zonagrad wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

A style more similar to the 2014-2015 team makes sense to me:

Highest Steal% and Turnover% in the Miller era creating more fastbreak opportunities and improving our offense from the 2013-2014 season. Obviously, the roster composition is entirely different as we have more players comfortable on the offensive side of the ball now (No TJ, Stanley, and Rondae gobbling up steals) but I don't think ranking 299th in offensive APL is in our best interest going forward.

Obviously the slow Defensive APL is what it is and will never be fast unless teams become comfortable against the packline like they were the last two seasons. If anything, the 2015 team shows that you can play at a fast tempo even with a defense that goes late in the shot clock. The question is if we have the right personnel to do it.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Puerco wrote:Miller was raving about Smith in some Star article I just read this morning, so I'd take this suspension as a minor infraction and nothing more.
3 games though and we're down 2 guards. He would have played a ton
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TucsonClip wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:
zonagrad wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote: This is more truth. To really push pace, you need an aggressive D that is built to either get a steal or give up an opportunity. Pack line isn't that. It centers on limiting the other team's chance at a good shot. If you play it right, you get a lot of contested J's late in the shot clock.

True, that could be an option. Counterpoint is, a breakdown at the point of attack also leads to open threes; which we know you can only defend by not allowing a team to attempt them. My hope is that we see more secondary break offense come from Romar, and we focus on drilling our young guys on the packline. Im not the biggest packline guy, but im not betting against Miller on defense. Whatever tweaks he decides to roll out, im all for.

If there was an exception to the packline, I would prefer to see a bit more full court trapping here and there, especially early in the season, to prepare for the inevitable scenario of losing late and not being able to bust a zone.
Fair. If we increase ball pressure, I would personally like to see it used strategically. For instance, I think PJC needs to ramp up ball pressure. He can't be too passive because he is not effective singled up from 15-17 feet due to his size. Parker needs to be more aggressive to hold someone far enough outside that they don't have an easy shot.

Other players aren't like that. For instance, the lineup people have talked about with Zo, Rawle and Randolph/Akot/Smith on the perimeter should dial back ball pressure. That unit is more vulnerable to a quick PG but has great length, so the focus should just be keeping the ballhandler in front and getting good help position.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Buying what both Spiff and Clip are selling.

Loomer I love the idea of using steals as an offense to defense (or even bad shots as offense to defense). We should be able to pressure the rim anytime we're not inbounding with the number of wings and Ayton running so well. Hopefully Romar helps there.

Also buying PJC pressuring the ball more - and that's part of what I was commenting on calling him a bully in the Red Blue (not to rehash that one). I love his attitude pressuring Barcello straight out of the gate. He has to be able to maintain that kind of attitude to be effective on defense. Harassing.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Lot of good shit on this page. Well done guys
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

YoDeFoe wrote: Also buying PJC pressuring the ball more - and that's part of what I was commenting on calling him a bully in the Red Blue (not to rehash that one). I love his attitude pressuring Barcello straight out of the gate. He has to be able to maintain that kind of attitude to be effective on defense. Harassing.
From watching PJC, he generally does a pretty good job of pressuring the ball and being a pest in that sort of way. It is just usually his lack of size and physical strength that deter him from being a very good-to-elite level defensive player.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Statfreak77 wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote: Also buying PJC pressuring the ball more - and that's part of what I was commenting on calling him a bully in the Red Blue (not to rehash that one). I love his attitude pressuring Barcello straight out of the gate. He has to be able to maintain that kind of attitude to be effective on defense. Harassing.
From watching PJC, he generally does a pretty good job of pressuring the ball and being a pest in that sort of way. It is just usually his lack of size and physical strength that deter him from being a very good-to-elite level defensive player.
I wonder if he backs-off of that attitude/high pressure approach in tough games or against bigger guards... Because if he's pressuring tight he's going to get run into a lot of screens and that takes a toll. Just something I'm going to watch for this year: sustained defense pressure from PJC despite anything else that's going on (getting run into a screen, getting scored over, shot not falling, etc).
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Statfreak77 wrote:
With Parker, he needs that. He can't stop penetration with strength or length and can't effectively contest inside 15 feet. He needs to use his lateral movement and aggressiveness to make the offensive player stay at least 20 feet out and move East/West.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

No Alkins, Porter Jr or Bagley lol

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2741 ... cbb-season" target="_blank

2018 NBA Draft Big Board Ahead of 2017-18 CBB Season

43. Emmanuel Akot (Arizona, SF/PF, Freshman)
A project, Akot will earn minutes for his defensive versatility and ball-handling. He's likely too raw to crack 2017's first round, though. Bank on the Rondae Hollis-Jefferson comparisons from Day 1 at Arizona

40. Allonzo Trier (Arizona, SG, Junior)
A threat to lead the Pac-12 in scoring, Trier will carry an even bigger workload with Rawle Alkins expected to miss most of the season. Putting Arizona on his back will reflect favorably on his draft stock, but improving his playmaking will be equally as important.

27. Brandon Randolph (Arizona, SG, Freshman)
With Rawle Alkins injured, Randolph is expected to step right in. He's in a good spot to produce playing a starting role alongside Allonzo Trier and DeAndre Ayton, who'll draw a lot of attention from defenses. An explosive athlete with a smooth jumper and scoring ability, Randolph is a sleeper among freshmen, though two years at Arizona may be the more likely timetable.

2. DeAndre Ayton (Arizona, C, Freshman)
DeAndre Ayton almost feels overlooked after Bagley's reclassification, Porter's big high school senior year and the emergence of Slovenian star Luka Doncic. Based on what he showed at Arizona's annual Red-Blue game, Ayton looks like a legitimate No. 1 overall talent with monster tools (7'1", 250 lbs, 7'5 ½" wingspan) and developing versatility today's NBA values. Back-to-the-basket scoring, mid-range shooting, three-point range—the Bahamian center flashed the same package of skills and fluidity that helped Karl-Anthony Towns rise atop the 2015 board.

A potential volume rebounder with defensive upside in rim protection, Ayton comes off as a full-package, two-way stretch 5.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I think Rawle will be a solid pro. He's an elite athlete and has good instincts. Maybe a little undersized.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Randolph ahead of Rawle, Trier and Akot is a little much.

I fully understand the NBA cares a lot about physical measurables and are willing to take less than a finished project. That said, that is basically a Terrance Ferguson type projection. I do not see Randolph in that orbit. He has physical talent, but he needs to show he's more than a guy like Justin Simon. Rawle's injury is a wild card, but Randolph is at least comparable to Kobi, who went undrafted with a lot of physical tools.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I'm concerned that we have too much talent on this team
psiclist23

Post by psiclist23 »

Wow. Ayton is the real deal. I'll be amazed if he doesn't go #1. And Alonzo. He's going to end up the point guard. He was doing tonight what we were begging for last season. Instead of forcing a crappy shot, he repeatedly passed out to the open shooter. If he keeps that up, being double-teamed, while Ayton is double-teamed, we are are going to have a wealth of open shooters.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Trier
Alkins
Randolph
Akot
Ayton

That's the best lineup, I'd like to see it a lot.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

NYCat wrote:Trier
Alkins
Randolph
Akot
Ayton

That's the best lineup, I'd like to see it a lot.
Agree.

I love that lineup
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

psiclist23 wrote:Wow. Ayton is the real deal. I'll be amazed if he doesn't go #1. And Alonzo. He's going to end up the point guard. He was doing tonight what we were begging for last season. Instead of forcing a crappy shot, he repeatedly passed out to the open shooter. If he keeps that up, being double-teamed, while Ayton is double-teamed, we are are going to have a wealth of open shooters.
Yes yes he was and it made me so happy. I'm loving me some junior year trier.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Alieberman wrote:I'm concerned that we have too much talent on this team
:lol: Sarcasm right?

Which begs the question: could there be a problem of too much talent? What would it be outside of minutes and egos?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Alieberman wrote:I'm concerned that we have too much talent on this team
:lol: Sarcasm right?

Which begs the question: could there be a problem of too much talent? What would it be outside of minutes and egos?
Yes major sarcasm.

I do wonder about the playing time of our seniors. Will Miller favor senior leadership on the floor in crucial moments or go to his more lethal lineups which features lots of freshman?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

A few thoughts: I think most nights it's going to be the Deandre Ayton show. At one point, he had 25 of our first 57 points. Provided we are healthy come march, I just dont see this team losing with him on the floor. He'd have to get in foul trouble. Alkins, Ayton and Trier are gonna be too much for pretty much anyone.

Talk about a contrast, Akot's shooting in the red/blue game vs tonight. It is just one game, but I was not expecting a night like that at any point this season. What put an even bigger smile on my face, was every time he got the ball on the wing, his eyes immediately went to Ayton on the low block. Had a couple of very nice entry passes. He gets it. Trier looked a lot more mature. He had three points pretty late in that game and never pressed like he had to get his. Then he just decided to flip the switch and it was too easy. Thought he looked great running the offense and he passed very well. Will be huge for us if he can give us that against better comp. That said, we need someone to step up into the role of being a reliable outside shooter while Alkins is out, especially when Trier is running the offense. Cant help but get excited about what Barcello will become for us down the road, and he can help us in the interim. He's just got to learn how to navigate around screens, gives his man way too much room acting like the screener has 15 foot wide hips lol.

Obviously the defense has a long ways to go, which is expected. I did not expect to be outrebounded by a freaking D2 team 19 to 13 at the half. Inexcusable no matter what point in the season we are at. Looked a lot better in the 2nd half, Im sure that was the top thing addressed by Miller at halftime. And most of that falls on Pinder and Ristic. As Spliff always says, Dusan is what he is. Still hard to watch your 7 foot senior center get pushed around, outhustled, outsmarted, and outplayed by a bunch of D2 players from New Mexico.

I think we are all on the same page w wanting more Ayton at the 5. This team is just too good, too athletic and too talented to have Dusan's faults slowing us down and holding back the fluidity and versatility this offense could have. Not like we need his scoring. Especially once Rawle comes back, Ayton, Rawle, Trier, Randolph/Akot and PJC would be my lineup, starting and crunch time.
psiclist23

Post by psiclist23 »

Regarding seeing PJC in some (e.g.) crunch-time line-up scenarios, if he wants to play he's going to have to be damn good. Assuming Miller makes him earn it.
gumby

Post by gumby »

The entire freshman class may be better than I thought. Ayton is, for sure. Just needs to acclimate to college so he isn't cramping up and getting winded.
Right where I want to be.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

May not have been apparent on television, but his conditioning isnt there yet. He was often 3-4 steps behind his man crossing half court when we had the ball
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

It's nice to have a point to work on, and I'm sure rebounding will be that emphasis point. Getting beat on the boards by a non D1 team, well, I'm sure Miller will use that to cut through any cockiness from a blowout.

That said, a lot of positives. Randolph, Akot and Lee all impressed, and even Barcello looked more ready than I thought he would. Seeing the frosh be ready to go is great.

Keep in mind, we did this minus Rawle, PJC and Smith.

Ayton is a monster. Trier was quiet but solid. Dusan did Dusan things. We need to up the rebounding, but the potential oozes out of this team.
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

rgdeuce wrote:May not have been apparent on television, but his conditioning isnt there yet. He was often 3-4 steps behind his man crossing half court when we had the ball
That will come - Arizona can do all the conditioning on the track and in the gym they want - but game speed is such a different level. In a few weeks, that should be taken care of; Miller even mentioned it in his post game press conference. For freshman, especially, game speed is such a different thing than they are used to.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Statfreak77 wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:May not have been apparent on television, but his conditioning isnt there yet. He was often 3-4 steps behind his man crossing half court when we had the ball
That will come - Arizona can do all the conditioning on the track and in the gym they want - but game speed is such a different level. In a few weeks, that should be taken care of; Miller even mentioned it in his post game press conference. For freshman, especially, game speed is such a different thing than they are used to.
There are two answers:

Fan answer: It's a developmental process and players will be adjusting to the demands. Miller is solid at figuring this out.

Coach answer: It is not acceptable to be outrebounded and outrun ever, let alone by a lower division team. We need to get this ****in gear.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Coach answer: It is not acceptable to be outrebounded and outrun ever, let alone by a lower division team. We need to get this ****in gear.
:lol: I remember getting my ass chewed out in JV TRYOUTS for struggling to keep up on a full court tip drill. You are not lying.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
:lol: I remember getting my ass chewed out in JV TRYOUTS for struggling to keep up on a full court tip drill. You are not lying.
Most coaches would use a blowout by a talented team in an exhibition to pick on the negatives, prevent overconfidence and use it as a teaching tool. By teaching tool, I meant there might be more expletives than words in a lot of sentences.

If I used the actual language most coaches do with this sort of game, it would be shocking, even for the internet. This is the classic "build them up when they're down and break them down when they're up" scenario, and Miller has the ammo.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

gumby

Post by gumby »

Tempo not likely to change much. Our defense will still force teams deep into shot clock.

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... head-coach" target="_blank
The Wildcats have been effective on defense under Miller to be sure, but the pack-line defense results in UA playing at one of the slowest paces in college basketball year in and year out, since they don’t force a ton of turnovers and opponents often burn the shot clock to find quality looks.

The quickest pace Arizona has played at under Miller was in his first season (2009-10) when it had the 87th-quickest tempo in college basketball. The last two years, UA has been at 258th and 277th in tempo, respectively.

Last season, just 17.9 percent of Arizona’s field goal attempts came in transition. Washington was at 29.8 percent.

“If you look at the tempo and style (that we play), sometimes the harder you are to score against, the more deliberate the other team is,” Miller said. “They can’t get a good shot. It slows the tempo down no matter if you want to or not.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Do we want Randolph jacking up 12 shots per game?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
gumby

Post by gumby »

Don't want anyone jacking up shots.
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

Puerco wrote:Do we want Randolph jacking up 12 shots per game?
I mean, no - but it wasn't like any of those shots were terrible shots or forced; that I can at least remember.

Remember - he went 0-7 from 3...that is quite surprising based on the reports we have seen.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Randolph not playing tonight due to a concussion.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

This team looks like they are weeks ahead of schedule
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Totally rg
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

rgdeuce wrote:This team looks like they are weeks ahead of schedule
What I like is the depth. Randolph and Alkins out and they still look impressive. Other than Ayton this team has insurance if any other player goes down. This is an exceptionally good basketball team, at least right now. They have the potential to be the best Arizona basketball team of all time. Hard to tell right now until the competition starts coming.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

rgdeuce wrote:This team looks like they are weeks ahead of schedule
Agree. And watch out when we have Rawle back. Going to be a special year. Win and let's see what happens.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Wildly efficient game.

Stats.

65% shooting in back to back games.

Leading scorers Trier (21), Ayton (20), and PJC (14) - 55 points on 22 FGAs.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I wonder how much of an effect that Romar has on the team play. They play at a much faster (and more entertaining) pace. This year will be super fun to watch.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

We've got to break through this season. We have the perfect combination of experience and talent. Easily the best team in the Miller era.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

TatetheGreat wrote:We've got to break through this season. We have the perfect combination of experience and talent. Easily the best team in the Miller era.
Agree, we might even make it to overtime in the Elite eight before we lose
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Special team