Deandre Ayton

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: DeAndre Ayton

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:If there was a Duke/Arizona matchup, I’m guessing Bagley would spend very little time guarding Ayton. More likely Bolden would get that assignment. Meanwhile I think Ayton would probably defend Bagley.
I agree with this, at least to start. Dusan would get murdered by Bagley. If Ayton got fouls, I think we'd go Pinder/Lee/Akot on Bagley to keep Ayton on the floor.

Bagley's game off the dribble is all I could see giving Ayton trouble. If Bagley's missing his 3's and Ayton can lay off, we're fine.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I'll say: I'm putting a lot more stock into what Miller is saying about Ayton + what I saw at Red Blue than what the "common knowledge" on Ayton has been.

Miller say's he's locked in, I believe him. While I'll comment hoping for the best effort out of Ayton that's partly driven by me not being able to comprehend how good he can be at 100% effort.

Yes I think the environment of Arizona is good for Ayton and he's relishing the challenge. Can't wait to see the beast unleashed.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

full article on link 8-)

'Gifted' Deandre Ayton could be the game-changer Sean Miller, Arizona Wildcats have been waiting for

By Bruce Pascoe Arizona Daily Star Oct 28, 2017 Updated 6 hrs ago

The first time Deandre Ayton wore an Wildcats uniform at McKale Center, he crammed 15 points and five rebounds into nine second-half minutes during Arizona’s Red-Blue Game.

That wasn’t really a surprise. Not to anyone who has seen or heard about the skilled Bahamian big man since the Wildcats began recruiting him over four years ago. He can score from anywhere on the floor, create his own shots or convert an assist, and block shots with ferocity on the other end.

“He’s as strong and as gifted running for somebody that size that I’ve worked with,” UA coach Sean Miller says, “and he loves the game.”

So maybe the surprise, if anything, was that Ayton was actually wearing an Arizona Wildcats uniform at all.

So Ayton showed up in Tucson and did so without bringing a one-and-done attitude to accompany his one-and-done talent.

That might impress Miller as much as anything.

“Deandre has a lot to do with it,” Miller said
. “When you’re that guy, and when you walk in the gym with that much talent you’re sort of are the compass of the team’s mental attitude. He has a good head on his shoulders and a lot of confidence, but I love the way he works and his competitive spirit.

But really what I love and appreciate about him is we don’t have to chase him around this campus. He’s where he’s supposed to be. He does what he’s supposed to do. He’s got a really bright future and it’s exciting to have him.”

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... 1d937.html" target="_blank
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Well if we know 1 thing, it's that Ayton is really good.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Curious to see what's up with his leg
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

His missing motor was missing so he used his motor.
psiclist23

Post by psiclist23 »

i can only think of 2 or 3 schools who have a match-up for him.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

A beast among boys.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Like watching a high school senior playing against 8th graders on elementary school height baskets. Probably the 20th time ive said that since the red blue game. Its how I remember Shaq and Chris Webber looking as a kid.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Oops
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

https://youtu.be/JaXY_QH3Z3U" target="_blank

Ayton highlights.

I don't mean to add to any of the "motor" stuff, but I hope his mind is right because that is about all that could go off track for him. Physically and skills wise, he is NBA hall of fame and I don't think it's hyperbole to say he could walk away one of the best 15-20 players to ever play basketball.

God, I hope he pushes himself. Not just as an Arizona fan, but as a basketball fan, I want to witness him exploring all that physical talent.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Old enough to remember Wilt. Kind of reminds me of him with finger rolls and flips around the hoop against overmatched defenders. Much better shooter, of course.
Right where I want to be.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:Old enough to remember Wilt. Kind of reminds me of him with finger rolls and flips around the hoop against overmatched defenders. Much better shooter, of course.
Wow, yes. From listening to NBA "big men", my understanding is that kind of soft touch you see in Wilt's highlights is made possible by dominating through such greater strength than the surrounding opponents. The way somebody like Kareem describes Wilt's game as predicated on overpowering defenders, you'd expect his highlights to look something more like Shaq's thundering dunks over everyone. But really it's an ability to maintain position and overcome contact so you can exploit all that talent in your wrists and hands, as if you were playing alone against imaginary defenders.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I saw someone drop a David Robinson comparison. I can see that, except Ayton has much longer arms and is physically stronger than the Admiral. The ability to run the floor and face up are similar.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Can you see strength?

Yes, you can.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Olajuwon Olajuwon Olajuwon

its freaky, between his touch from 12ft out, to the turn around jumper in the post, to the ability and willingness to use both hands to lay the ball in the hoop, around, under and on the opposite side of the rim just like Olajuwan.

even the steal at the top of the key and the ability to dribble the ball with the long strides and easy finish at the opposite end, to the block on the jump shot at free throw line extended where he kept the ball in play to himself to start the break, to his willingness to share and pass the basketball, to his business like soft spoken demeanor.

hell, even the body makeup is the same with those shoulders.

i keep having visions of:

Trier
Alkins
Randolph/Akot
Ayton
Ristic
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

97cats wrote:Olajuwon Olajuwon Olajuwon

its freaky, between his touch from 12ft out, to the turn around jumper in the post, to the ability and willingness to use both hands to lay the ball in the hoop, around, under and on the opposite side of the rim just like Olajuwan.

even the steal at the top of the key and the ability to dribble the ball with the long strides and easy finish at the opposite end, to the block on the jump shot at free throw line extended where he kept the ball in play to himself to start the break, to his willingness to share and pass the basketball, to his business like soft spoken demeanor.

Trier
Alkins
Randolph/Akot
Ayton
Ristic
You sold on this team being at its best with Ristic on the floor, 97?

Also seeing names like Olajuwon, Robinson and Wilt being thrown around as comps, this early..... Not many guys in the last 20 years can say that.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

I'm putting Ayton at the 5 down the stretch and not thinking twice about it.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gumby wrote:Old enough to remember Wilt. Kind of reminds me of him with finger rolls and flips around the hoop against overmatched defenders. Much better shooter, of course.
How about as a "scorer"?

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... en/261429/" target="_blank
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Trier
Alkins
Randolph/Akot
Ayton
Ristic

Awesome line up! I like it. Ayton gonna lead the way to a break through season.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

rgdeuce wrote:
i am, but i prefer size, always have.

that being said, there will be many instances (including down the stretch of games) where Ayton will be shifted to the five spot and Coach Miller defends the perimeter.

having Alkins out till xmas gives some of the other young guys more minutes early, which we saw last year when Trier was out with Alkins and Simmons -- i believe Randolph and Akot will benefit greatly from this if there is a silver lining.

with Alkins back in the fold for conf play, AZ becomes one of the two most talented teams in the nation, PG withstanding.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:

Trier
Alkins
Randolph/Akot
Ayton
Ristic

Also seeing names like Olajuwon, Robinson and Wilt being thrown around as comps, this early..... Not many guys in the last 20 years can say that.
I think we have the flexibility to determine Dusan's role from the opponent. Teams with more traditional bigs, Dusan and Ayton will be great. I like what Lee is giving us so far, and I think he and Akot can give us great flexibility against smaller teams.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Merkin wrote:
How about as a "scorer"?

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... en/261429/" target="_blank
No comment.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

rgdeuce wrote:You sold on this team being at its best with Ristic on the floor, 97?
Id like to see Pinder eat some of his minutes up. Ristic may not see an easier opponent for the rest season and that was almost embarrassing last night. 2 turnovers going on 4
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Jefe wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:You sold on this team being at its best with Ristic on the floor, 97?
Id like to see Pinder eat some of his minutes up. Ristic may not see an easier opponent for the rest season and that was almost embarrassing last night. 2 turnovers going on 4
I'd be happier if I never saw Pinder in an Arizona uniform again.

I'm sorry to be harsh but that kid does not know his role. Started the first half driving into the baseline and throwing a wild shot off the side of the backboard. Ended the half by dribbling off of his feet and then tossing a wild outlet.

Ira Lee does everything that Pinder does in rebounding and defending but is a capable offensive player. We'll desperately need an improved Lee next year as well. Give him all the minutes and tell Pinder to work on his degree.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Ira could start for a lot of D1 programs
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Jefe wrote:
I'd be happier if I never saw Pinder in an Arizona uniform again.

I'm sorry to be harsh but that kid does not know his role. Started the first half driving into the baseline and throwing a wild shot off the side of the backboard. Ended the half by dribbling off of his feet and then tossing a wild outlet.

Ira Lee does everything that Pinder does in rebounding and defending but is a capable offensive player. We'll desperately need an improved Lee next year as well. Give him all the minutes and tell Pinder to work on his degree.
I'm here as well. Keep Pinder as an emergency option, but Lee is bigger, younger and has a much better offensive game. Lee can actually be a legit starter by next year if he develops right. He also totally gets his role, finishes well and is content taking the opportunities that present.

The sooner Lee passes Pinder, the better for our program. Pinder just doesn't bring much in any area. He isn't a high volume rebounder, doesn't score and is too small to be particularly effective on D. He can handle spot minutes, but that should be it.

Edit: I would also like Akot better as a backup 4. Akot is a better option than Pinder, you just have to commit to being smallish.
Last edited by Spaceman Spiff on Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

97cats wrote: i am, but i prefer size, always have.
So much low hanging fruit here...

I figure Ristic is a game by game decision. There are games like the Texas A&M game last year that he is perfect (or so I remember...that was a weird day, first finding a bar that was open at 10am because I was stuck downtown for an event my kid was attending, then I found out a friend had been killed the prior night a little after half time). He was also awesome early in the PAC 12 season. But you can usually tell about halfway through the first half whether his skills will outweigh his deficiencies.

We were moving the ball quick last night, and there will be times he just gets in the way. But we do present a unique matchup and can overwhelm some teams with that height.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

YoDeFoe wrote:I'd be happier if I never saw Pinder in an Arizona uniform again.... Started the first half driving into the baseline and throwing a wild shot off the side of the backboard.
I saw that too, but it really wasn't all Pinder's fault. It was the result of a bad pass not getting to Pinder well because the passer didn't really have good possession of the ball and Pinder being banged off his line by an also out of control defender.

My comment at the time was that it was 'real sloppy play', it reminded me more of a pickup street ball game, and we could really use PJC's ball handling to provide the steadying influence.
Well, then somebody will just complain that Lee is too inexperienced to some function X, and demand the return of Pinder. Last year people occasionally said that Pinder needed more minutes 'cause we'll need him next year. Same 'ol same 'ol.

I prefer to let Coach balance out the "young guy learning opportunities" versus the "push yer foot into their neck". I reckon Pinder and Lee will both get plenty of opportunities this year and I doubt either is going to start very often.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Rebounds:

Pinder 7 in 16 mins.

Lee 3 in 16 mins.

Risitc 5 in 22 mins.

Akot 1 in 25 mins.

Certainly, they should be able to do as well as KP, but until they do ...
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:Rebounds:

Pinder 7 in 16 mins.

Lee 3 in 16 mins.

Risitc 5 in 22 mins.

Akot 1 in 25 mins.

That's almost double Pinder's rate from last year. Last year, he averaged 2.9 rpg in 12 mpg. A ratio of one rebound for slightly over 4 minutes of game time is nothing exceptional, particularly when he brings little on offense and is similarly not much on D.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Desperate times call for desperate rebounding ...
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

8-8 FT, 26 mins, 11 rebs, 21 pts, 3 asts.. great numbers last night.

Deandre is better than the hype...could not believe the things he's able
to do so fluidly. Shooting, footwork, passing, the kid's an amazing talent.

box score
http://www.arizonawildcats.com/document ... _Final.pdf" target="_blank
gumby

Post by gumby »

Pinder 7 in 16 mins.

Lee 3 in 16 mins.

Risitc 5 in 22 mins.

Akot 1 in 25 mins.

Pinder 0
Akot 7
Lee 6

They know Gumby's watching!
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

gumby wrote:

Pinder 7 in 16 mins.

Lee 3 in 16 mins.

Risitc 5 in 22 mins.

Akot 1 in 25 mins.

Pinder 0
Akot 7
Lee 6

They know Gumby's watching!
If Pinder doesn't rebound well, he won't play. Plain and simple.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Pinder got the least minutes of the "rotation" players last night. Lee got significantly more.

THANK YOU LORD
97cats

Post by 97cats »

certainly seems low to me

12. Deandre Ayton, Arizona Wildcats

Lost in the Michael Porter Jr. and Marvin Bagley III hype the past few months, Ayton's ceiling is as high as anyone's in college basketball. He's a 7-footer who can run the floor and block shots. He also has very good perimeter shooting touch.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... basketball
prh

Post by prh »

97cats wrote:certainly seems low to me

12. Deandre Ayton, Arizona Wildcats

Lost in the Michael Porter Jr. and Marvin Bagley III hype the past few months, Ayton's ceiling is as high as anyone's in college basketball. He's a 7-footer who can run the floor and block shots. He also has very good perimeter shooting touch.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... basketball
Saw that article earlier and that was my first reaction. Allen and Landale being in front especially jump out, although it's pretty clear that they heavily over-valued college experience in that list. That should be the lowest he is on any list this year.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

16 out of 17 on free throws in the two exhibitions.

That’s a real nice weapon to have in our arsenal.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

Chicat wrote:16 out of 17 on free throws in the two exhibitions.

Well, Miller did mention that the shooting disparity between Lauri and Ayton was not as large as one would think.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

Pinder 7 in 16 mins.

Lee 3 in 16 mins.

Risitc 5 in 22 mins.

Akot 1 in 25 mins.

Don't confuse me with the facts. I still want to see Akot and lee take some minutes from Ristic and Pinder in these easy games for development's sake.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Statfreak77 wrote:

Well, Miller did mention that the shooting disparity between Lauri and Ayton was not as large as one would think.
Yep. But I just assumed it was Lauri on top. :)
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

gumby wrote:
Statfreak77 wrote:

Yep. But I just assumed it was Lauri on top. :)
Small sample size - let's let this thing play out a little bit! :)
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

You know, if we paid for Ayton, it wasn't enough.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:You know, if we paid for Ayton, it wasn't enough.
:lol:
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Its not an "if" at this point, right?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Jefe wrote:Its not an "if" at this point, right?
If there were even a slim chance any of our current players were ineligible, would they be playing? That still leaves Rawle, whose injury has coincided with the scandal, but I gotta think everyone else (including Ayton and Randolph) is in the clear.