Joseph Blair...

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

KaibabKat

Joseph Blair...

Post by KaibabKat »

... reportedly will be returning next year. This time as a graduate assistant.
Dosia

Re: Joseph Blair...

Post by Dosia »

That is great to hear. If Tarc can hold onto the damn ball this team could be scary good.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Outstanding.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I don't see this info at teh old site - too many people bitching.

Good on the exilers!!
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Great news about Blair!
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Nice...I thought he was leaving
TFCATFAN

Post by TFCATFAN »

KaibabKat wrote:... reportedly will be returning next year. This time as a graduate assistant.
Awesome news!
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Any update on Book's status?
ElGatoBlanco

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

catgrad97 wrote:Any update on Book's status?
Was it ever in question? He's back next year.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Hey CG97!
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

We know this site has made it when the info from here is stolen and put up over there, LOL
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

ElGatoBlanco wrote:
After the Craig Victor/PGU recruiting fiasco, it was in serious doubt for months.

Glad to hear he'll be back. This is going to be the strongest staff Miller's ever had at Arizona.
4Life

Post by 4Life »

Success breads success...

Awesome to hear!
ElGatoBlanco

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

catgrad97 wrote:
ElGatoBlanco wrote:
After the Craig Victor/PGU recruiting fiasco, it was in serious doubt for months.

Glad to hear he'll be back. This is going to be the strongest staff Miller's ever had at Arizona.
Lol that was damn near a year ago. Plus I doubt a guy who's quoted as saying he wore #97 the entire AAU season because of Arizona was ever going anywhere other than Arizona. The kid playing with the media wasn't Book's fault.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

My fifth post on this site and already EGB is giving it flak.

Hey CST: Good to be home. :)
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

ElGatoBlanco wrote: Plus I doubt a guy who's quoted as saying he wore #97 the entire AAU season because of Arizona was ever going anywhere other than Arizona.
Damn I didn't know that. That is awesome. I use 97 or 1997 a lot when a simple secret code is needed around the house with electronics or whatever.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Was the medical leave of absence "real?"
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

If it was to get away from what Ace has been smoking, then yes.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Coaches get tested?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

KaibabKat wrote:... reportedly will be returning next year. This time as a graduate assistant.

Great news. I know he doesn't want to coach due to his other commitments (charity/family) but he has really made some progress with the bigs.

Never understand Pastner coaching the bigs under Lute, but Blair is a nice fit.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

merkin wrote:
Never understand Pastner coaching

Me either Merk.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
gumby

Post by gumby »

Sean and Joe should start a band: The Blair Witch Project.
Right where I want to be.
KCF

Post by KCF »

The ending's to their songs would be horrible.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Just their early stuff ...
az91

Post by az91 »

KCF wrote:The ending's to their songs would be horrible.
LOL, good one! :lol:
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Shit...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

staff shakeup!
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

It wasn't unexpected...he's a grad student coach...
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Baby Blair didn't want to coach did he? I think he said he wanted to devote more time to his charity than coaching allowed.

EDIT:

Looks like he was forced out?

http://www.foxsports.com/arizona/story/ ... ram-052015

The former Wildcats player turned on Wednesday confirmed he has "no position" with the team. His bio was no longer on Arizona's website.

Blair played for Arizona in the mind 1990s and then played overseas for more than 10 years before he returned to earn his degree last summer after helping Arizona as an under graduate assistant. Last season he was a graduate manager helping Arizona's big men. The affable and popular Blair said he hopes to continue coaching, "but only God knows what awaits me at this point."
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

The Star has a similar story.
"I would love to continue coaching but until that situation presents itself, I will be advocating for the community as I always have," wrote Blair, who is vacationing out of the country.
Seems kinda odd. There must be more to this.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Same thing strange is afoot here...

The news that Blair was leaving did not surprise me because I thought it was expected (he was a GA/GM), and that he did not want to be involved in coaching. His recent tweets / comments suggest otherwise.

I don't buy the Stoudamire story, either... I wish him the best, but there is more to that story than meets the eye. I am sure he will get to see his sons more often (Memphis certainly is closer), but with the demands on his time it's not going to give him the opportunity to be really "involved". I wondered if his departure was initiated by Miller, given the speed with which a replacement was officially named. This Blair situation makes me wonder even more...
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Harvey Specter wrote:Same thing strange is afoot here...

The news that Blair was leaving did not surprise me because I thought it was expected (he was a GA/GM), and that he did not want to be involved in coaching. His recent tweets / comments suggest otherwise.

I don't buy the Stoudamire story, either... I wish him the best, but there is more to that story than meets the eye. I am sure he will get to see his sons more often (Memphis certainly is closer), but with the demands on his time it's not going to give him the opportunity to be really "involved". I wondered if his departure was initiated by Miller, given the speed with which a replacement was officially named. This Blair situation makes me wonder even more...
I'm not sure what one would have to do with the other, especially since Blair was a grad assistant.

If Blair had replaced Damon, then I could see where you were going with that, but a coach and a grad assistant leaving in the same year is not unheard of.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Blair was excellent for Zeus. Guy was a 280lb wall
gumby

Post by gumby »

Do we actually know how good these guys were at their jobs? I can recall the lobbying for Miles Simon to be an assistant, but did he turn out to be effective? Coaching isn't playing. Different skill-sets.

Shouldn't be a popularity contest. All things equal, take a Wildcat. If not equal, take the better candidate.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Jefe wrote:Blair was excellent for Zeus. Guy was a 280lb wall
Zeus needs Jordan to come in this summer and teach him that hook shot
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

gumby wrote:Do we actually know how good these guys were at their jobs? I can recall the lobbying for Miles Simon to be an assistant, but did he turn out to be effective? Coaching isn't playing. Different skill-sets.

Shouldn't be a popularity contest. All things equal, take a Wildcat. If not equal, take the better candidate.
Amen. Arizona basketball didn't become Arizona basketball by hiring alums as coaches. If anything when we started hiring alums as assistants that started or maybe merely signified the downfall of the program under Lute. More assistants like Jessie Evans, Rodney Tention, and Jay John please. For what it's worth I believe grad assistants roles are very limited, so I don't think this is a crushing blow to Arizona or anything.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Wed May 20, 2015 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I think Miller always wanted Phelps and the second he had a spot open he was going to take him. I mean he was the runner up to Stoudamire for the job a couple of years ago, so the fact that he was the choice to replace Stoudamire so quickly shouldn't be much of a surprise. Also not sure what Blair running out of grad coaching ability has to do with anything though. Seems like a major reach.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Commend Miler. Time for some of these guys to get a new hobby
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

ChooChooCat wrote:

I think Miller always wanted Phelps and the second he had a spot open he was going to take him. I mean he was the runner up to Stoudamire for the job a couple of years ago, so the fact that he was the choice to replace Stoudamire so quickly shouldn't be much of a surprise. Also not sure what Blair running out of grad coaching ability has to do with anything though. Seems like a major reach.

Pretty much nailed it. Wasnt' like he called up JB and said "you're fired" like the Donald. So much ado about nothing
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

TFCATFAN

Post by TFCATFAN »

Love JB.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Wondered where he ended up. Thought he didn't want to get into serious coaching due to his Tucson based charity.