2017-2018 Arizona Basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

YoDeFoe

Re: 2017-2018 Arizona Basketball

Post by YoDeFoe »

TucsonClip wrote:Pinder was/is/will always be a situational role player. If Lee had Pnder's lateral quickness, Pinder wouldnt see the floor this year.
I rewatched the Chico game last night and focused on Lee. His defense on and especially off ball is very good - exceptional for a freshman big. He roams the paint well, moves with the ball and is in his stance and taking up space. He contests at the rim and positions well for rebounds (mostly).

Lee’s off ball offense looked bad. He does the right things with the ball in his hands but he doesn’t look like he’s figured out our spacing and motion yet. His offense is still better than Pinder’s because he can dunk and do other things. But yeah he needs to get into the flow of the offense better.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

NYCat wrote:Rawle is 6'4, let Lee, Pinder & Akot battle it out at the 4
Miller’s second favorite lineup at the end of the season was PJC / Kadeem / Trier / Rawle / Lauri.

Rawle is short for that spot and I prefer him as a wing but he’s the same weight and wingspan as Pinder. Between him and Akot it’s possible to run a small ball lineup that features those two switching on forwards and Ayton lurking in the post (if he figures out help defense and block timing).

That way you get Trier, Rawle, and Akot on the floor together.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:"I don't see anybody redshirting." - Miller

Ok well that's that.
Good. It’s nice to have depth but I’d rather see Lee + O’Neal + Jeter + recruit-to-be-name take immediate post minutes and develop rather than half ass our way through the season with Pinder next year.
I think there is a 0% chance Keanu Pinder would be the missing part in achieving (insert any meaningful goal) in 2018-19. He can contribute in spot duty, but that role/ability is not going to make a significant difference in a goal of any weight. It is certainly dwarfed by the ability of Jeter/Lee/O'Neal to be major contributors. We aren't going anywhere good if those 3 aren't ready to do significant things. If they aren't ready, Keanu is not the guy who rides in on a white horse to be the difference maker.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

It all starts for real now. This team is ready to rock and roll and maybe the best of second best Arizona team ever.

Bear Down for the Alamo
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Y'all ready to get this started?
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Yes
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

I can't wait to get my final four tee shirt with the "Arizona university four" that guy created on it

It will be glorious
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

With "W&V" in small lettering on the sleeve
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

So fired up.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

CalStateTempe wrote:With "W&V" in small lettering on the sleeve
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I love this.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

As the kids say, "Let's Gooooooo!"
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Never too early right? Since we're likely not landing any recruits besides 'Reef & Williams
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Good find, NYC. I’ll have to check out this guy’s highlights.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:Good find, NYC. I’ll have to check out this guy’s highlights.
He looks and plays exactly like you think a guy named Evan would play.

Game Day!!!
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

vs NAU: W
vs UMBC: W
vs CS Bakersfield: W
B4A - NC State: W
B4A - Northern Iowa/SMU: W
B4A - Villanova: L
vs Long Beach St: W
@ UNLV: W
PHX - aTm: W
vs: Alabama: W
@ New Mexico: W
vs North Dakota St: W
vs UConn: W
vs Asu: W
@ Utah: W
@ Colorado: W
vs Oregon St: W
vs Oregon: W
@ California: W
@ Stanford: L
vs Colorado: W
vs Utah: W
@ Washington St: W
@ Washington: W
vs UCLA: W
vs USC: W
@ ASU: W
@ Oregon St: L
@ Oregon: W
vs Stanford: W
vs California: W
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Oregon State? Interesting. Not saying you are wrong or a bad take, just interesting.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote:Oregon State? Interesting. Not saying you are wrong or a bad take, just interesting.
I'm more upset at the L to Villanova as there's no way we don't show up for that game. Conference losses will happen on the road there's no question and Oregon State will IMO be a tournament team this year with everybody healthy. That Oregon road trip will be our toughest by far.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote:Never too early right? Since we're likely not landing any recruits besides 'Reef & Williams
If Reef does indeed end up at Arizona then PF would be the spot we'd be deepest and naturally that's the position this Dartmouth guy plays.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

We’re not losing to Nova.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:Oregon State? Interesting. Not saying you are wrong or a bad take, just interesting.
I'm more upset at the L to Villanova as there's no way we don't show up for that game. Conference losses will happen on the road there's no question and Oregon State will IMO be a tournament team this year with everybody healthy. That Oregon road trip will be our toughest by far.
Weird shit happens w those big east teams like Butler, Xavier. Wont have Rawle back yet, and I feel like Brunson will do some ridiculous things.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Weird shit happens w those big east teams like Butler, Xavier. Wont have Rawle back yet, and I feel like Brunson will do some ridiculous things.
Didn't have Zo vs. Butler and Nova doesn't play a 1-3-1 zone like Xavier did. Rawle is a wash with Randolph/Akot IMO, especially with Zo and Ayton present. Brunson is great, Ayton is better and there's no one on Nova who can defend him.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Main Event wrote:Y'all ready to get this started?
Biggest game of the year!
Right where I want to be.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Already got my wildcat tee that says 40-0
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

Does Arizona EVER play well at Oregon State?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Fantastic
gumby

Post by gumby »

They should put those seats up for sale (as long as proceeds don't go to players).
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I'll try.

vs NAU: W
vs UMBC: W
vs CS Bakersfield: W
B4A - NC State: W
B4A - Northern Iowa/SMU: W
B4A - Villanova: W
vs Long Beach St: W
@ UNLV: W
PHX - aTm: W
vs: Alabama: W
@ New Mexico: L
vs North Dakota St: W
vs UConn: W
vs Asu: W
@ Utah: W
@ Colorado: W
vs Oregon St: W
vs Oregon: W
@ California: W
@ Stanford: W
vs Colorado: W
vs Utah: W
@ Washington St: W
@ Washington: W
vs UCLA: W
vs USC: W
@ ASU: W
@ Oregon St: W
@ Oregon: L
vs Stanford: W
vs California: W

Yes, that's a ridiculous overall record, and maybe a loss to Nova on a neutral court is far more likely than a road loss to UNM, but I think our guys will be really up for that Atlantis title game. Think we win a close one. And anything worse than 14-2 in the Pac would be a little surprising. I only have us losing a road game at Eugene.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote: They should put those seats up for sale (as long as proceeds don't go to players).
It's low class to lead with Book. Pascoe's continual push on the NCAA issues gets old. I haven't seen an article of his that doesn't mention it.

Exactly when is there a point where we just mention basketball?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
gumby wrote: They should put those seats up for sale (as long as proceeds don't go to players).
It's low class to lead with Book. Pascoe's continual push on the NCAA issues gets old. I haven't seen an article of his that doesn't mention it.

gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Touchy. Just a list of what should be available vs. what is.

"We" can just mention basketball all we want. Check the message board. It doesn't happen. Turns out, we are curious. To expect the media to ignore the same is unrealistic.

It will be referred to all year, and certainly in a situation where there are suspensions (for whatever reason). There will never be a situation where it's just basketball this year. It will never be the case where being opaque is rewarded.

"Well, he never answers, so I'll stop asking." Not gonna happen. Can't go back to the editor and say you didn't ask about something everyone wonders about. Can't assume (a bad word in journalism) what will occur. I realize that can be irritating, but they are doing their jobs.

You can't presume every reader hoovers up every morsel the way that fans who post thousands of time do. So you will see background information over and over. For some readers, it will be informative. It's like the games themselves, where you hear for the umpteenth time that Trier missed games last year or somebody put up 500 shots a day over the summer or somebody lifted whatever in the weight room (preferably weights) or that Miller was on "The Tonight Show" and on and on.

Tedious for the obsessives (like me). Informative for the casuals (most people).
gumby

Post by gumby »

Now on to basketball.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... =400988189" target="_blank

NAU had 11 defensive rebounds. Eleven. Ayton had 10 (team had 31). So only 11 times did the Cats miss and the Jacks got the rebound. Crazy.

Our FT shooting is fabulous so far. So is the offense. Defense, not so much. Maybe some holding back with so many players out because ... uh ... never mind ... just basketball. OTOH, guys do look lost at times. Plus, I don't know if this is coached, but our bigs, especially Ristic, aren't very aggressive near the rim. Both hands up (or not). Stay on floor. If you make it, congrats. They made quite a few. Again, that could be fear of fouls given ... you know.

Trier was Derrick Williams efficient. Wow. And he's a better passer now. Parker with the 8/0 stat line. Perfect in that regard. Liked what I saw from Barcello. Here's another comparison (though I'm hesistant given the team): Derek Glasser.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

I wondered during the whole game how this team will handle the zone...then it hit me...Miller is stubborn, rather than change the way he coaches he just went out and got someone who could score over the zone no matter what...he built a team that says "I laugh at your puny zone" and the master plan came into focus...spend several years convincing coaches across the country that we cannot handle zone, then introduce a team that will chop up a zone like stir fry in China...this team hasn't even seen the last ten seconds of the shot clock yet...that old pass the ball/dribble and stare like a deer caught in the headlights model was all just camouflage for the predator team he had in mind all along.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

gumby wrote:Now on to basketball.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... =400988189" target="_blank

NAU had 11 defensive rebounds. Eleven. Ayton had 10 (team had 31). So only 11 times did the Cats miss and the Jacks got the rebound. Crazy.

Our FT shooting is fabulous so far. So is the offense. Defense, not so much. Maybe some holding back with so many players out because ... uh ... never mind ... just basketball. OTOH, guys do look lost at times. Plus, I don't know if this is coached, but our bigs, especially Ristic, aren't very aggressive near the rim. Both hands up (or not). Stay on floor. If you make it, congrats. They made quite a few. Again, that could be fear of fouls given ... you know.

Trier was Derrick Williams efficient. Wow. And he's a better passer now. Parker with the 8/0 stat line. Perfect in that regard. Liked what I saw from Barcello. Here's another comparison (though I'm hesistant given the team): Derek Glasser.
Spot on, minus that last piece :)

Interior defense is probably the weakness that I can see so far. Like mentioned above, Rustic raises his hands, not much effort beyond that.

One thing that most probably haven't mentioned is -- about midway through the second half, while in the stands, I got a clear view of the bench. Observed LoRo and it was interesting to see him so involved. Not overstepping his boundary because it was more in a motivational sense but almost like we had 2 head coaches on the sideline.

I think with time the defense while get better but I also think this won't be close to one of Miller's better defensive teams. That said, I think the offense will.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

In Miller's presser he mentioned how they have been drilling the team in practice not to foul so that might have led to the timid interior defense especially in the first half. Second half was much better as Ayton was a monster in the paint.

I wouldn't take too much stock in our defense being a problem moving forward when the team is at full strength. Remember we only had 7 players available last night.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

I hope Arizona can handle zither zone defense this year.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
walk-on-wildcat

Post by walk-on-wildcat »

Not sure if this was posted but pretty nice respectful article from AZCentral. Surprisingly.
Defense? I’ve seen him alter shots and rebound without reaching or unnecessarily leaving his feet, plus step into a passing lane, make a steal, run the floor and finish in transition.

Offense? I’ve seen him finger roll when he could have dunked and asked him whether it was intentional.

“Yes.”

More: Watch: Arizona Wildcats basketball coach Sean Miller speaks at Pac-12 media day

Laughter. He paused with perfect comedic timing before continuing.

“I just try to put the ball in the hoop, that’s about it.”

What’s going through your mind on plays like that?

“Score.”

More laughter.

“You’ve got to run back on defense, at the end of the day.”

Intangibles? Check out his perspective on a season that will be filled with expectation, hype and pressure.

“I’m just having fun.”
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.azcent ... /853996001" target="_blank
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

You can imagine Lute watching this team and saying,”yeah, that looks like offense.”
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Longhorned wrote:You can imagine Lute watching this team and saying,”yeah, that looks like offense.”
lol yeah
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Longhorned wrote:You can imagine Lute watching this team and saying,”yeah, that looks like offense.”
Im reminded of the early Snowden teams.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Double post.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

I'm calling it now. 18-0 in the Pac 12. I think a loss to USC (even at home) is very possible, especially the way the Trojans shoot it. We've built big leads against them in recent games and then held on for dear life at the end. But our depth....damn.

Without a trip to L.A. on the schedule, the road looks less daunting this year. I'm sorry, but I'm not sold on a totally revamped Oregon team suddenly being great. Altman is a good coach. But who's gonna slow down Ayton?

I also think the trip to Stanford could be dicey. I can see Travis having the game of his life and getting a ton of home cooking calls and getting Ayton in foul trouble.

Other than that, the mountain haul to Boulder & Salt Lake is always a challenge. But I don't see either of those teams with the horses to stay with us for 40 minutes.

18-0. Arizona becomes first team in Pac 10/12 era to run the table!!!!!!!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

zonagrad wrote:I'm calling it now. 18-0 in the Pac 12. I think a loss to USC (even at home) is very possible, especially the way the Trojans shoot it. We've built big leads against them in recent games and then held on for dear life at the end. But our depth....damn.

Without a trip to L.A. on the schedule, the road looks less daunting this year. I'm sorry, but I'm not sold on a totally revamped Oregon team suddenly being great. Altman is a good coach. But who's gonna slow down Ayton?

I also think the trip to Stanford could be dicey. I can see Travis having the game of his life and getting a ton of home cooking calls and getting Ayton in foul trouble.

Other than that, the mountain haul to Boulder & Salt Lake is always a challenge. But I don't see either of those teams with the horses to stay with us for 40 minutes.

18-0. Arizona becomes first team in Pac 10/12 era to run the table!!!!!!!
Would be pretty sweet. But history will only remember what happened in the tourney.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Barcello is not playing like a freshman...I like his motor...and if he gets confident with that three we will get close to 100 every game.
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

Someone said it on Twitter, but the first two games have looked like a Lute Olson team.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

The offense is clearly there. Defense is a little behind but I am not worried at all yet. Arizona has the talent and athletes to be very good defensively. Playing so many young guys though the help rotation just is a little off but I bet I will be there by conference play.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:The offense is clearly there. Defense is a little behind but I am not worried at all yet. Arizona has the talent and athletes to be very good defensively. Playing so many young guys though the help rotation just is a little off but I bet I will be there by conference play.
This cuts back to the fan/coach dynamic I talked about earlier. I get why fans wouldn't panic (although I bet that changes as soon as a L occurs) but I'm sure coaches have their point to hammer home, and it's that UMBC defensive play won't cut it if this team wants big results.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Statfreak77 wrote:
Someone said it on Twitter, but the first two games have looked like a Lute Olson team.
Starts with PJC, has been pushing the tempo nicely. Then you have all the 4s and 5s, absent Ristic, who are running the floor. And Trier not having to somewhat pace himself with our depth and other elite scoring options. Hopefully as Barcello gets more comfortable he can kick up the tempo a bit himself. Easy buckets are the best buckets, and we have the horses to wear teams down on both ends.

There was one play last night, cant remember who finished it (Lee or Ayton?): Off a made basket, UMBC had 3 defenders already back and two more around the timeline, was basically 4 of us (minus inbounder) on 5 of them, PJC still pushed the tempo, a couple passes later, we had a guy in the paint behind their defense for an easy dunk. To see a Sean Miller team do that, without numbers, OFF A MAKE, was incredible.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Ristic is going to start at the 5 all year but I think we are better with Ayton there. I can see Ayton playing more and more at the 5 in crunch time with Ristic being on the bench.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Alieberman wrote:Ristic is going to start at the 5 all year but I think we are better with Ayton there. I can see Ayton playing more and more at the 5 in crunch time with Ristic being on the bench.
I think Miller has used Ristic well in the first two games. 20 minutes last night. Not mad at that at all.