Allonzo Trier

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azdoubledown

Re: Allonzo Trier

Post by azdoubledown »

Everybody remembers Illinois - ugh.

My story about Illini fan involves my tickets to the St. Louis FF that year. When I ebayed them off I made sure to stick lots of shots at undeserving UI in the posting ("ticket to see Illinois lose in the championship game", etc). It caught the eye of many an Illini fan/ebay user, and one in particular wanted to bet me $100 that Illinois would win it all. As we all know Illinois fell to Sean May and UNC in the final. Ho hum I carried on thinking nothing of the bet until a day or two later I get a paypal email: $100 dollars sent from the anonymous illini ebay user - he actually payed up! That day I learned something about illinois fans that really challenged my thinking.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Illinois.

I was going to the Final Four. Already booked a room in St Louis and bought a ticket on Southwest (since they were directly refundable for another flight). My two former college roommates were going, and a high school friend who lived in the area and introduced me to my first roommate was going to join. We were up 15, under 4. My wife turns to me and says "so, when are you flying out? Friday?" I gave the plans, mostly finalized (at the time, I had access to tickets through a bigger hitter than I could ever dream of being).

20 minutes later or whatever, I just slid off the couch. I sat there. My wife just said "I am sorry."

They all hurt. That one was like a death. No one wanted to go, to follow through with what would have been a fun reunion of 4 people...a reunion that has not happened since. Partial, yes, but never those 4 people in the same room.

Fuck Illinois...
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I've liked Trier so far. Good balance of scoring vs allowing others to shine. You know his offense will be there when it matters, but he is striking an improved balance. Super efficient too.

If there was a question about his ability to blend with the frosh, it's great so far. You worry with so much talent, it turns into a competition for shots, but he's been great so far.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I've liked Trier so far. Good balance of scoring vs allowing others to shine. You know his offense will be there when it matters, but he is striking an improved balance. Super efficient too.

If there was a question about his ability to blend with the frosh, it's great so far. You worry with so much talent, it turns into a competition for shots, but he's been great so far.
He looked great yesterday. Super early obv, but I think it's clear he's looking to "well round" his game this season - for lack of a better phrase.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

97cats

Post by 97cats »

he looked magnificent yesterday
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:I've liked Trier so far. Good balance of scoring vs allowing others to shine. You know his offense will be there when it matters, but he is striking an improved balance. Super efficient too.

He looked great yesterday. Super early obv, but I think it's clear he's looking to "well round" his game this season - for lack of a better phrase.
I think this is particularly accurate vs lower level teams. Against the big boys, we may need him to step forward more, but against Eastern New Mexico and Chico, he's letting guys like Akot, Barcello and Lee get more touches and development.

That's a smart team-first decision. When we need him to heat it up, I don't doubt he'll remember how to go for the jugular.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

drallafi

Post by drallafi »

I may be suffering from memory loss, but I can't remember a college player looking this deadly / efficient on offense in a long long time.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

He's going to be unstoppable this year
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

drallafi wrote:I may be suffering from memory loss, but I can't remember a college player looking this deadly / efficient on offense in a long long time.
Buddy Hield
prh

Post by prh »

Longhorned wrote:
drallafi wrote:I may be suffering from memory loss, but I can't remember a college player looking this deadly / efficient on offense in a long long time.
Buddy Hield
Honestly since he Zo announced his return, I've been hoping this year would be like Buddy Hield. What he's done so far has me believing it can/will happen too.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Allonzo Trier named Pac-12 Player of the Week
Trier became just seventh player in Arizona history to score 30 points
or more in consecutive games
by Ryan Kelapire@RKelapire Nov 13, 2017, 1:15pm PST

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... l-american" target="_blank
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Trier is good. Makes you wonder how last season might've gone had he played in every game. Do we beat Gonzaga in L.A.?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:Trier is good. Makes you wonder how last season might've gone had he played in every game. Do we beat Gonzaga in L.A.?
Unless it changes the Xavier result...
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Trier is good. Makes you wonder how last season might've gone had he played in every game. Do we beat Gonzaga in L.A.?
Good chance we would have been the #1 then, playing WVU while Gonzaga is playing Xavier.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

Would he be playing defense as poorly as he has been so far this year?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

legallykenny wrote:
Seriously? I’m without the Pac-12 Network (again) so haven’t watched a live game yet, only highlights.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Good chance we would have been the #1 then, playing WVU while Gonzaga is playing Xavier.
The way we handled zone, I would like the WVU matchup even less than Xavier.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I don't have times to reference, but there was a play in the 2nd half, later in the half, where Trier kind of lulled his man to sleep right, then crossed the ball and got 2 or 3 steps into the lane, elevated, and got fouled. I want to say it was like the 3 minute mark. I was on the phone with a friend and we were talking about the game as it was basically over, and he busted that move, and I just blurted out like some 25 year old wearing a jersey and my hat backward "oooohh SHHHITTTTT THAT'S A GROWN MAN MOVE!!!"

It was that special. Yet it was just a shooting foul, 2 FT.

If he gives us 70% on defense, this is going to be amazing.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EVCat wrote:I don't have times to reference, but there was a play in the 2nd half, later in the half, where Trier kind of lulled his man to sleep right, then crossed the ball and got 2 or 3 steps into the lane, elevated, and got fouled. I want to say it was like the 3 minute mark. I was on the phone with a friend and we were talking about the game as it was basically over, and he busted that move, and I just blurted out like some 25 year old wearing a jersey and my hat backward "oooohh SHHHITTTTT THAT'S A GROWN MAN MOVE!!!"

It was that special. Yet it was just a shooting foul, 2 FT.

If he gives us 70% on defense, this is going to be amazing.
Speaking of 70%, he is currently at 76% on 2 point field goal attempts for the season. It will fall off, but he has absurd scoring numbers right now.
gumby

Post by gumby »

First player since Michael Dickerson (1996-97) to open season with two 30-point games. Dickerson did it against UNC and NAU. Miles was serving a suspension.

Similar here. Alkins out; Trier gets bigger numbers. Also similar, is that he and Dickerson worked hard to improve their shooting.
Right where I want to be.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:First player since Michael Dickerson (1996-97) to open season with two 30-point games. Dickerson did it against UNC and NAU. Miles was serving a suspension.

Similar here. Alkins out; Trier gets bigger numbers. Also similar, is that he and Dickerson worked hard to improve their shooting.
This must be just like '97, huh?

Does that mean Trier will struggle in the big ones in the tourney?
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
gumby wrote:First player since Michael Dickerson (1996-97) to open season with two 30-point games. Dickerson did it against UNC and NAU. Miles was serving a suspension.

Too bad you can't beat threenumbersones when you are one. I'll happily take numbertwothentwonumberones.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Nov 13, 2017 Updated 9 hrs ago
“Allonzo is well-deserving,” Miller said. “I don’t know if anyone plays the game better at his position than him, when you consider not just his ability to score but his development into an efficient player, a better defensive player and more of a great teammate. All of those things allow you to be an All-American.”

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... dc1df.html" target="_blank
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Beachcat97 wrote:
legallykenny wrote:
Seriously? I’m without the Pac-12 Network (again) so haven’t watched a live game yet, only highlights.
Umm, I might not like you very much, but I'm still going to PM you the link for the free p12 stream. I'm in Spain and have watched every second live. Suffice to say, they don't offer the Pac-12 Network as part of Movistar's cable package.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Does that mean Trier will struggle in the big ones in the tourney?
And will ultimately suffer a debilitating groin injury. If I'm not mistaken, they're both on Team PTL and matriculated (at some point) in Greater Seattle. Endless parallels!
Right where I want to be.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

legallykenny wrote:
I think his defense has looked better this year. Still not great, but better.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

rgdeuce wrote:
legallykenny wrote:
I think his defense has looked better this year. Still not great, but better.
I'm here with you. Both Trier and Ayton play good on ball defense but neither is doing much in terms of help defense. Seems both want to stay out of foul trouble in order to contribute on the offensive end. I don't blame them, though Ayton could learn to sniff out blocks.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

YoDeFoe wrote: I don't blame them, though Ayton could learn to sniff out blocks.
Ayton has at least 5 blocks (stats say 5) since Miller told him to start trying to block shots after the 1st half of the 1st game.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

SunnyAZ wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote: I don't blame them, though Ayton could learn to sniff out blocks.
Ayton has at least 5 blocks (stats say 5) since Miller told him to start trying to block shots after the 1st half of the 1st game.
Honestly didn't realize he had so many. Partially because I missed the second half of NAU I assume.
prh

Post by prh »

I think something for Ayton is to start with soft defense, and slowly ramp up as he gets the hang of the college game. If he is trying to block shots from day 1, he's going to foul a lot. He fouls a lot, and suddenly he's got Brandon Ashley syndrome, where the refs "know he fouls a lot" and he is suddenly picking up 4 fouls without touching anyone. I'd much rather Ayton progress slowly being a force inside than get labeled as a fouler by officials.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Is proof of what staying a few years in college can do to your game! He is a straight killer. By the way my 7 year old daughter named our goat Alonzo! Alonzo is literally the goat at my house!
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

^ lol thats awesome.

When Zo was at 22 points I turned to my buddy and said Trier wants 30 again bad. He had been stuck on 20 forever. He got super pissed when he missed that FT and he was pissed walkin off the court w 28 when Miller pulled him for the night :lol: . Still think hes averaging 30 on the season. Dude scores or gets to the line whenever he wants. He's got a good shot to win Naismith POY.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

rgdeuce wrote:^ lol thats awesome.

When Zo was at 22 points I turned to my buddy and said Trier wants 30 again bad. He had been stuck on 20 forever. He got super pissed when he missed that FT and he was pissed walkin off the court w 28 when Miller pulled him for the night :lol: . Still think hes averaging 30 on the season. Dude scores or gets to the line whenever he wants. He's got a good shot to win Naismith POY.

It’s looking like it’ll be a battle between him and the most punchable face in colllege hoops, the tripper.

I’m sure guys like Brunson and Bridges and Berry will push them, but in the end I think the Naismith either goes to Trier or Allen.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Can Trier play adequate defense and rebound on the NBA level?
He doesn’t like contact on that end of things.
How much is he and Ristic’s poor D going to hurt us?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CBCat wrote:Can Trier play adequate defense and rebound on the NBA level?
He doesn’t like contact on that end of things.
How much is he and Ristic’s poor D going to hurt us?
I'd like to see him rebound a bit more this year, but his work on the glass was good last year. He had 5 defensive boards in about 30 mpg. A defensive rebound every 6 minutes is a good rate for a wing. He's in the mid 3's this year and I'd like to see that kick up.

Players have strengths and weaknesses, though. Zo's offensive efficiency is an another level right now.
prh

Post by prh »

90 points on 40 shots so far. Insane. Last night was 28 on 9.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Team defensive rebounding has really been my only major gripe with this team so far. That's seemingly something we have struggled with early in very recent years.
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

I thought Trier was damn good defensively last night.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:Team defensive rebounding has really been my only major gripe with this team so far. That's seemingly something we have struggled with early in very recent years.
I would add defense. I'm not saying we won't be improving a lot, but the D needs to improve. Rebounding wise, we should never be getting beat on the offensive glass by a team like the one we played last night.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:Team defensive rebounding has really been my only major gripe with this team so far. That's seemingly something we have struggled with early in very recent years.
I would add defense. I'm not saying we won't be improving a lot, but the D needs to improve. Rebounding wise, we should never be getting beat on the offensive glass by a team like the one we played last night.
I don't disagree. I think I have just become accustomed to the general progression in that area with Miller's teams over the course of the season. I made a comment about the interior defense specifically in one of the other threads. Rebounding obviously is a piece of that, but even ignoring that I havent been happy with it. So I guess I lied when I said that was my only major gripe :lol:
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

prh

Post by prh »

NYCat wrote:
At one point late in the broadcast, they asked if he has even hit the rim at all. In that whole video, literally the only time he touched the rim was on FTs
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Statfreak77 wrote:I thought Trier was damn good defensively last night.
Agreed. Looked like our perimeter players are getting the idea that you can't play on one side of the ball and expect to get minutes, with Trier leading by example last night.

Bigs, especially Ayton, did a great job of hedging ball screens and giving our guys time to recover through those. Trier in particular does not fight through ball screens so it helps to have the big absorb some of that space.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

PennZona20 wrote:Trier gonna get us a ship next year. And when he does he will be immortalized up there w Bibby and company and this thread will look pretty foolish.

Just your standard ‘I told you so’ bump.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

we haven't won anything yet...