2017-2018 Arizona Basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: 2017-2018 Arizona Basketball

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

prh wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
prh wrote:I can't believe someone is arguing that being on watchESPN at 5 is better than being on ESPN2 during the day. Pure insanity
I did say might be.

If the game is at 10am most would have to stream at work. Now you stream in prime time
Streaming is going to limit the audience to Arizona fans only (and the more committed ones at that). Plus, have fun streaming on the way home from work.

Being on national TV will add an entire audience of people that aren't committed fans, which could be 100s of thousands of college kids looking for the good game on TV, people who stay at home during the day, etc. Streaming the game at work isn't really that much of a detriment compared to streaming elsewhere either. I bet more people watch ESPN's regular daytime programming than would stream this game actually.
It's sort of like the lack of Arizona football TV forcing people to the game argument.

Wider exposure is always good. It drives interest in the team. The diehard fans will do what they can, but most people aren't diehards. Showcase TV slots are ALWAYS good.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Can't wait for the waves of complaints when games start streaming on Facebook, Twitter etc
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

PHXCATS wrote:It sucks it isn't on tv but it is what it is.

BTFD and beat the crap out of NCSU so we can enjoy the semi final on tv after the Turkey Bowls while peeling potatoes
Yeah see I don't accept that. That may be the "way it is" but I don't have to accept that.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Ah man, I hate Facebook. This is gonna make my log on isn't it.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:It sucks it isn't on tv but it is what it is.

BTFD and beat the crap out of NCSU so we can enjoy the semi final on tv after the Turkey Bowls while peeling potatoes
Yeah see I don't accept that. That may be the "way it is" but I don't have to accept that.
3 of the 5 (there are only five) that are definitively better than us did in recent years also. It has been known throughout time that if you do Battle 4 Atlantis there is a good chance your first round game wont be televised.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Again, don't really care and would feel the same way if I was a fan of UNC, Duke, UK, etc etc
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

CalStateTempe wrote:Prh. Nail meet head. Great post.

I'm just going to be straight about this: I will get emotional about this. This is MY team. A team that is #3 in the nation, a very real shot at wining the whole thing this year, and a member of a handful of teams (8-10) that have sustained history of being competitive at a high level for many many years.

I'm not a graduate of Chico st, a directional Michigan school, or wazzu. If i was I could accept being relegated to 3 or 4 tier viewing status. But I'm not and I won't.

It's a bloody shame the top 3 team in this nation with heaps of NBA talent after this season agaisnt a viable decent opponent can't get top, hell even second tier, billing for next weeks game IMNSHO.
Damn right.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Just now watching yesterday's presser...

Miller talking about Barcello being a part of the rotation moving forward instead of just a back-up to PJC... that's meaningful. Talked up his defense (and then his shooting and passing).

Continuing to get the point that defense is going to keep guys on the court. Barcello got 45% of his minutes at the two and 55% of his minutes at the one. Hard to believe that he'll keep the minutes at the two as this season continues and we get back Rawle and Randolph back, but we'll see.

Miller is clearly indicating a need for someone who can defend dribble penetration (and especially take the opponents best guard out of the offense) and who doesn't need the ball in their hands, they can hit open shots or set up teammates with a pass (since we have so many capable offensive weapons).

It almost sounds like Miller is challenging Akot in this presser by indicating that his "role can shrink significantly" as others step up and indicate that they can give total effort and commitment on both sides of the ball.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuP0YBz_6EI

You can see Rawle shooting around at the 1:25 mark and Barcello says he already back to dunking. He probably will be back right after the Bahamas trip.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Got beat on the offensive glass again. Rabble, rabble.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

So Is the NC State game really only on espn3?????
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Now on the Arizona Athletics site I’m not even seeing it in espn3!
Anybody know?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Ken Pom #2. Adj O 2nd, Adj D 17th.

This team moves the ball very well against the zone. Night and day difference thus far when compared to seasons past. Ayton is absolutely perfect in that flashing to the middle of the zone role. Think Spliff called that one a while back.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

NYCat wrote:Can't wait for the waves of complaints when games start streaming on Facebook, Twitter etc
Force fans to use their data-mining application. No thanks.
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Got beat on the offensive glass again. Rabble, rabble.
I would be willing to bet that 4-5 of those came late in the game when Arizona was playing Akot at the 5.
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

rgdeuce wrote:Ken Pom #2. Adj O 2nd, Adj D 17th.

This team moves the ball very well against the zone. Night and day difference thus far when compared to seasons past. Ayton is absolutely perfect in that flashing to the middle of the zone role. Think Spliff called that one a while back.
Just give me a top 5 O and a top 15 D.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CBCat wrote:Now on the Arizona Athletics site I’m not even seeing it in espn3!
Anybody know?
Yes it is, just like all Battle 4 Atlantis games 3 and 4 have been since the tournament was created (well streamed only, not ESPN3). Duke Kansas and Michigan State in recent years have been in the exact same boat as us with their first game in the tournament.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Statfreak77 wrote:

Just give me a top 5 O and a top 15 D.
That has to be the romer effect on O
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

aTm is the #2 defense so far, should be an interesting game.

Nova is also #3 on offense and #8 on defense.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Statfreak77 wrote:
I would be willing to bet that 4-5 of those came late in the game when Arizona was playing Akot at the 5.
We got beat by 7. We should be crushing it vs a team like that, not being even or below.

This is hypercritical, but there are big goals this year.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

They got 36 pts in the paint, that's terrible
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Statfreak77 wrote:
We got beat by 7. We should be crushing it vs a team like that, not being even or below.

Yep. With our talent, athleticism and size, we should be killing these weaker teams on the glass and winning that battle most games against conference opponents. Part of that is Ristic, but we have plenty of other guys who can and should be stepping up. The interior defense (mentioned above) is another area that needs a lot of work too.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Statfreak77 wrote:

Yep. With our talent, athleticism and size, we should be killing these weaker teams on the glass and winning that battle most games against conference opponents. Part of that is Ristic, but we have plenty of other guys who can and should be stepping up. The interior defense (mentioned above) is another area that needs a lot of work too.
The rebounding stat that stuns me is this:

Trier, Akot, Randolph and Smith played 75 minutes on the wing and combined for 2 rebounds. 2 rebounds in 75 minutes. That is jaw dropping. You'd think you could run aimlessly in circles for 75 minutes and be randomly hit by more than 2 rebounds.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Statfreak77 wrote:

Trier, Akot, Randolph and Smith played 75 minutes on the wing and combined for 2 rebounds. 2 rebounds in 75 minutes. That is jaw dropping. You'd think you could run aimlessly in circles for 75 minutes and be randomly hit by more than 2 rebounds.
Damn. That is stunning. PJC had 3 alone.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

NYCat wrote:They got 36 pts in the paint, that's terrible
Yep. My feelings after the first game was our interior defense needed major major work. That or we're going to struggle against teams with quality bigs/better talent.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

The good is that we held them to 39% from the field.

The bad is that we gave up 36 points in the paint and 14 offensive boards (albeit, some in garbage time).

Just keep improving on both sides is all I want.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

WildcatStunner wrote:The good is that we held them to 39% from the field.

The bad is that we gave up 36 points in the paint and 14 offensive boards (albeit, some in garbage time).

Just keep improving on both sides is all I want.
Defensive help, paint D and boards and small things here and there have me concerned but it is so early in the season and not against good tough competition where I can see everyone letting off the gas a bit that I am not concerned. If the boards dont improve in Atlantis and the help and paint D does not improve by conference play starting, then I will be concerned. And even if I am concerned I know the offense is so electric that they can just outscore anyone they need to.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Liked Dusan's game last night:

Ristic, Dusan * 4-6 0-0 4-4 3-3 6 1 12 1 2 1 0 26

One block? Had two block/tip/catches late in the second half.

DR was awake, like in our first game.

I like Barcello's quick release on his catch and shoots. When he gets to the right spot he's awake to the pass potential and gets to bent knees quickly for his catch.

Like Zo's D in the first half. He can D aggressively when he wants. Another super game last night.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Statfreak77 wrote:

For whatever reason our rebounding numbers were a little lower than the first two games 43/41 respectively. balls bouncing away ... offensive given up.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Statfreak77 wrote:

This stat is deceiving. All players you named are wing players. With the uptempo style we are trying to push while keeping the pack line defense, the wing players are not concerned with rebounding. They are putting a body on their defensive assignment and getting down the floor to the offensive end to be able to push the ball.

PJC will be staying back to get the ball from the bigs that are rebounding and push the ball up the court to the wings. This is how we are getting more tempo and more possesions per game.

I'd be interrested to see the percentage of rebounds that wings (not pgs or bigs) in Romar-coached teams have in comparison to this team.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

IndianaZonaFan wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Statfreak77 wrote:

This stat is deceiving. All players you named are wing players. With the uptempo style we are trying to push while keeping the pack line defense, the wing players are not concerned with rebounding. They are putting a body on their defensive assignment and getting down the floor to the offensive end to be able to push the ball.

PJC will be staying back to get the ball from the bigs that are rebounding and push the ball up the court to the wings. This is how we are getting more tempo and more possesions per game.

I'd be interrested to see the percentage of rebounds that wings (not pgs or bigs) in Romar-coached teams have in comparison to this team.
I intentionally selected wing players because I felt that was the position group that fell short the most. I disagree on the percentage being anywhere close to adequate.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... /2005.html" target="_blank

That is Romar's best UW team. There isn't a single perimeter player that was as low as 1 board every 10 minutes. Last night, our wings averaged 1 board every 37.5 minutes. That is low, low, low when your position average is roughly 1/4 of what is minimally productive.

You can't push the ball if you don't rebound it. I did not think the glass production last night compared to the opponent is anywhere close to where it needs to be against really good teams if we hope to win.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Interesting. Nice find Spiff. After seeing this, I agree with you.

However, i also know the typical things Miller likes to emphasize, which are defense and rebounding. Both things this team needs to work on improving. If I could hand select a coach to improve a team’s defense and rebounding through a season...I know who my choice would be. Coach Sean Miller.
gumby

Post by gumby »

It's a legit concern. Alkins will shore that up. He was our best offensive rebounder from the wing last year. Trier was the best defensive rebounder.

Alkins, Trier and Allen gave us 15 boards a game from the wing. Nobody on the team averaged more than 7.

I see Trier's defensive rebounding going down, because he is releasing for fast break points, as he should, because he's such a deadly finisher. Alkins will pick up some offensive rebounds that we're currently not getting. But the new guys need to stick their noses in there and battle. A lot of rebounds are grabbed on the secondary tips and deflections. Or the ball hits the floor. Guards need to get in and get those. Long rebounds are another opportunity.

Ayton should get a lot of rebounds, meaning less reliance on gang rebounding. But he will also tip some balls and not be able to get to them. That's where the perimeter guys come in. Also, need them to get used to crashing for the times we go small.
Right where I want to be.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
You can't push the ball if you don't rebound it.
All that really needs to be said about the subject, really.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Dec 9 game, I wonder if Rawle will be back...
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

We should definitely have Rawle back in some capacity for Alabama, hopefully back in time for Texas A&M the week prior to work him in. Could really use his defense for both.
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

YoDeFoe wrote:We should definitely have Rawle back in some capacity for Alabama, hopefully back in time for Texas A&M the week prior to work him in. Could really use his defense for both.
We need to temper our expectations on Rawle initially - it is going to take him a couple of weeks to get back into game shape, and be a real effective part of this rotation.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote:Dec 9 game, I wonder if Rawle will be back...
Sexton is really good. I've put him in the top of the class with Ayton, Porter, Bamba and Doncic overseas. I remember getting some pushback, but I am a big Sexton fan. He is not a good matchup for us.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

29,4 & 2 last night for Sexton. 11-14 FTs. He looks incredibly tough to guard

YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Would be great if Barcello is game for the competition against Sexton. They're about the same height and weight, just Sexton has crazy long arms to go with it.

Maybe PJC can beat him with his old man game. Just don't like the idea of having a wing guard their PG (where do you put PJC then) or replacing a PG entirely to match-up on defense. Open question of the team so far.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:Would be great if Barcello is game for the competition against Sexton. They're about the same height and weight, just Sexton has crazy long arms to go with it.

Maybe PJC can beat him with his old man game. Just don't like the idea of having a wing guard their PG (where do you put PJC then) or replacing a PG entirely to match-up on defense. Open question of the team so far.
Sexton and John Petty are very good on the perimeter for Bama. We need to control them and let Ayton and Dusan do their thing. Bama is very, very perimeter oriented. We have to try to make Sexton and Petty inefficient and use our big advantage inside.

One at a time though. Let's take out the Wolfpack first.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

YoDeFoe wrote:Maybe PJC can beat him with his old man game. Just don't like the idea of having a wing guard their PG (where do you put PJC then) or replacing a PG entirely to match-up on defense. Open question of the team so far.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:Would be great if Barcello is game for the competition against Sexton. They're about the same height and weight, just Sexton has crazy long arms to go with it.

PJC doesn't need to beat him. Games like (maybe) Nova and Bama are where he needs to show he can do enough vs big time comp that he is not our Achilles Heel. He doesn't have to win the matchup, he has to be competitive in it enough that we can win.
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

PJC is too small and not good enough to lead this team. Run Trier at Point and make this thing happen.

Alas, SM will of course be too stubborn and we will fail to make it past week 2 again.

I fear we are watching history repeat itself. This is embarrassing.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I'm not the only one saying this. CSM was outcoached big time.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

miller doesn't do in game adjustments, for better or worse

we know that by now
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Good thing this want on tv, may not drop as much
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

luteformayor2 wrote:PJC is too small and not good enough to lead this team. Run Trier at Point and make this thing happen.

Alas, SM will of course be too stubborn and we will fail to make it past week 2 again.

I fear we are watching history repeat itself. This is embarrassing.
Parker isn't even close to the problem. Has played great this year
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

This team has a long way to go defensively. I’m ok with that.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Merkin wrote:I'm not the only one saying this. CSM was outcoached big time.
He was out coached and out prepared, certainly.

We'll still win a bunch of game this year, and make it to the elite 8.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update: