Sean Miller Discussion

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

rgdeuce

Re: Sean Miller's ceiling

Post by rgdeuce »

Still trying to figure out how Miller was outcoached last night. Ayton completely killed UNLV down the stretch - how many times did they double team him?
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

rgdeuce wrote:Still trying to figure out how Miller was outcoached last night. Ayton completely killed UNLV down the stretch - how many times did they double team him?
When the players execute poorly and Arizona loses, detractors say Miller was outcoached. When Arizona wins, it's because Arizona's talent was superior despite Miller's coaching.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

CatFanOneMil wrote:The "fire Miller crowd" is really misinformed...not sure what fantasy world you might be living in but there is no coach out there who could swoop in and turn these prima donna softboys into NBA men over night...NOT.ONE.FUCKING.COACH.IN.THE.USA.COULD.DO.THAT.

And down that road there is not a coach in America that can predict what a top recruit is ACTUALLY going to do in his system, or ANY system for that matter, high school is different than college as much as lakes are different than oceans.

So all this shit talk about some imaginary "ceiling" can be taken with a grain of salt and shoved up your ass...there is no ceiling, its not a corporate ladder to the final four, its luck, hard work, effort, SOME strategy and a whole shit load of refs and and luck and random shit and did I mention luck?

You want a description of a great coach with no ceiling? Good luck...there it is motherfuckers...luck of the draw...I just watched a game where three fucking refs went to the scorers table for a good ten minutes on a no call...there was absolutely NO REASON to spend 10 minutes reviewing different angles and let players rest up and coaches coach up...it changed the game by increments...and this was a game of incremental difference in the final score...and you want to talk about a ceiling on a coach as if he were in control of more than 10% of any of this?

You're on crack.
Didn't Miller's USA team underachieve as well?

As long as this guy is on the sidelines, it takes one more team out of the hunt for a national title and increases KU's chances to win one. I'm for keeping him for a long long time.

"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

rgdeuce wrote:Still trying to figure out how Miller was outcoached last night. Ayton completely killed UNLV down the stretch - how many times did they double team him?
I was thinking the same thing. Though, I was thoroughly disappointed when UNLV threw what looked like some sort of 1-3-1 and we pissed our pants late in the game . Then it looked like trier didn't run the designed play out of a timeout.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

zonagrad wrote:
When the players execute poorly and Arizona loses, detractors say Miller was outcoached. When Arizona wins, it's because Arizona's talent was superior despite Miller's coaching.
This board pregame: "It's gonna take a miracle to beat UNLV."

We beat UNLV.

This board: "Miller got outcoached. The team has quit. We're going to get slaughtered by A&M."
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

We beat UNLV.

This board: "Miller got outcoached. The team has quit. We're going to get slaughtered by A&M."
No kidding. And if it didn't take the obnoxious, cherry picked to photos to see that enfuego is the one who agrees with "Miller can't coach" squad, I'll go ahead and point out who is lining up with you.

I tend to agree with Choo the most for the people who have "lost faith" but even that I think is boiled down a lot simpler than some of the more nuanced things that have happened in the last 9 years.

ps - Miller was absolutely not out coached last night. As soon as his players started doing what he's been pleading with them to do - we beat UNLV in their building by about 15 in less than a half real game time.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Great post BVD; i only saw about the last 10minof the second half on and that's what it looked like to me
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

We beat UNLV.

No kidding. And if it didn't take the obnoxious, cherry picked to photos to see that enfuego is the one who agrees with "Miller can't coach" squad, I'll go ahead and point out who is lining up with you.

I tend to agree with Choo the most for the people who have "lost faith" but even that I think is boiled down a lot simpler than some of the more nuanced things that have happened in the last 9 years.

ps - Miller was absolutely not out coached last night. As soon as his players started doing what he's been pleading with them to do - we beat UNLV in their building by about 15 in less than a half real game time.
Yes, on the money. I could only listen, but by the math alone it was a tale of two halfs, plus the impressive feat of winning the overtime on the road after the fatigue of coming back. Seems like the adjustment was the players’ ability to implement. No way Miller got outcouched when his team is the one that came back and won.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Miller has been outcoached before but yesterday wasn't one of those times
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Longhorned wrote:
Bear Down Vegas wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

We beat UNLV.

Yes, on the money. I could only listen, but by the math alone it was a tale of two halfs, plus the impressive feat of winning the overtime on the road after the fatigue of coming back. Seems like the adjustment was the players’ ability to implement. No way Miller got outcouched when his team is the one that came back and won.
That and Marvin Menzies is not a good coach. Who can forget his box and 2 defense he put up against us? Miller didn't get outcoached for the very simple fact that he did the right thing in the 2nd half and didn't play Ristic and Ayton together outside for a couple of minutes.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

We beat UNLV.

Here's what I took away from last night. When we got down in the Bahamas, we didn't fight back. We got down last night and fought back.

We still have to get a lot better at defensive execution. The fundamentals still aren't there and we have breakdowns way too often. Offensively, we were sluggish for a half but had a good second half. But we're better than we were. Problems don't create themselves or solve themselves overnight.

We played with effort and took a close, emotional win. I hope that in itself spurs progress. UNLV is a dangerous team this year.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

JMarkJohns wrote:I'm one year from walking away.

I can't take it. I won't deserve the success that may come, but I can't handle this shit any longer. I'm pretty close to writing off sports.

I'm right there.
I was at this point after last year too, and now this season already seems lost.

Pretty much should've bump this post, exactly how I feel.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

I'm in a daze and not sure what to think after the Bahamas, but I'm not walking away at least until the second week in April. I guess I'm just a diehard, homer fan.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

My guess is Miller didn't see how ill prepared for high level basketball this team was until NC State. Remember his comment in September that this team has everything success requires, so there can be no excuses?

I still don't think we have any useful indicators of what this team will become.

Meaningful development doesn't occur in practice. Practice is for the reset, addressing flaws, setting the stage for development, and stopping the bleeding. Real development happens in games, and in the course of games.

Games like LBSU are tough because they don't give us reliable indicators.

For the players themselves, three back-to-back games are awful for teams that are as ensconced in flaws as Arizona is this fall. There's no opportunity to regroup and stop the bleeding.

I'm not ruling out anything. It could very well be that the Battle for Atlantis was a triplication of a single discouraging stage, rather than a triply clear sign that this team is going down... down... down.
1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

Longhorned wrote:My guess is Miller didn't see how ill prepared for high level basketball this team was until NC State. Remember his comment in September that this team has everything success requires, so there can be no excuses?

I still don't think we have any useful indicators of what this team will become.

Meaningful development doesn't occur in practice. Practice is for the reset, addressing flaws, setting the stage for development, and stopping the bleeding. Real development happens in games, and in the course of games.

For the players themselves, three back-to-back games are awful for teams that are as ensconced in flaws as Arizona is this fall. There's no opportunity to regroup and stop the bleeding.

I'm not ruling out anything. It could very well be that the Battle for Atlantis was a triplication of a single discouraging stage, rather than a triply clear sign that this team is going down... down... down.
Since its hard to regroup in Atlantis, I tend to think of it as mentally ONE giant loss as opposed to three individual losses.

What does Miller have against Marvin Menzies, I heard they didnt even shake hands after the game?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

There is seriously so much stupid fucking shit in this thread from people I tend to listen to and admire. Blame it on booze, or fatigue or the fucking full moon...but realize what part of the season this is and shut the fuck up, or move on.

Jesus Christ what a shitshow of a thread this is.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Olsondogg wrote:There is seriously so much stupid fucking shit in this thread from people I tend to listen to and admire. Blame it on booze, or fatigue or the fucking full moon...but realize what part of the season this is and shut the fuck up, or move on.

Jesus Christ what a shitshow of a thread this is.
Yup
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

NYCat wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:I'm one year from walking away.

I can't take it. I won't deserve the success that may come, but I can't handle this shit any longer. I'm pretty close to writing off sports.

I'm right there.
I was at this point after last year too, and now this season already seems lost.

Pretty much should've bump this post, exactly how I feel.
I don't get it. Last year was phenomenal. Miller lost his best player for the first 19 games, started 3 freshmen, was without his starting PG for several weeks and still managed to tie for the Pac 12 regular season title and won the conference tournament. You are all spoiled rotten.

Miller has suffered from severe roster turnover. Ultimately, that's his choice I suppose because of the players he recruits. But I doubt he expected to lose Grant Jerrett after one season and Brandon Ashley early as well.

Miller is not infallible but he's done an incredible job. Name a program in the Pac 12 that has won more than Arizona since Miller's arrival.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

I am actually mildly encouraged by last night's game. The first half was abysmal -- no defense, no offense, no rebounding. We were outrebounded 24-16 in the first half.

A tale of two halves, though. Better (not much, though) defense, much better offense (48 points in second half, ex-OT), much better rebounding (21-13, including OT). I don't have TO info by half, but it seems we were worse in that area in the second half.

Let's all just hope the improvements (particularly in rebounding and offense) carry through. Did the team finally have the lights turn on for them in the second half?

Just trying to be a glass-half-full persons today.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Miller deserves a fair amount of credit for the victory last night. Yes, there were a few questionable lineups on the floor, and our inability to attack that zone (even on one possession) was concerning. But these are things we can fix. Miller will figure it out. He was the one calling TOs and talking to our guys throughout the game. If he were just telling them they suck and saying stupid, angry sh*t, they would not have kept it together and gotten the W. Good coaches keep their teams playing hard even when they're behind by double digits. Miller did that last night.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

1stNGrant Frys wrote:
Longhorned wrote:My guess is Miller didn't see how ill prepared for high level basketball this team was until NC State. Remember his comment in September that this team has everything success requires, so there can be no excuses?

Since its hard to regroup in Atlantis, I tend to think of it as mentally ONE giant loss as opposed to three individual losses.

What does Miller have against Marvin Menzies, I heard they didnt even shake hands after the game?
We clearly let things snowball in Atlantis. By the time we hit Purdue, we were down and just stayed down. It looks like 3 losses, but I agree that the overall impact is less than 3 losses would suggest.

Another way of thinking about it is that holiday tourneys don't really allow for adjustments or development game to game. You walk in with what you have and get momentum. That's about it.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

enfuego wrote:
Led by Miller, the 2015 USA Basketball Men’s U19 World Championship Team won its seven games by an average of 25.3 points per contest at the 2015 FIBA U19 World Championship from June 27-July 5 in Crete, Greece. The gold medal finish was the USA men’s third in the past four U19 World Championships.

“To be named as a 2015 USA Basketball Co-National Coach of the Year is a great honor,” Miller said. “It is the culmination of the efforts of coaches and players working together for one purpose – a gold medal. A special thank you to USA Basketball for making all we did first class in every way possible.”

“One thing that made him a great coach is that he was willing to let the players be themselves,” Brunson said of Miller. “He had his offensive set and style of play. But at the same time he let us go and trusted us. We just played hard for him.

The USA’s average of 19.1 assists per game set a USA men’s U19 competition record, and its 55.6 percent shooting from 3-point (5-9 3pt FGs) against Italy on July 3 set a U.S. single-game high. Additionally, Chinanu Onauku’s (Louisville/Lanham, Md.) four blocks against Croatia on July 5 tied the USA U19 single-game record.

The USA led the 16-team field in seven team statistical categories, including scoring margin, points per game (88.3), total points (618), field goal percentage (.486), blocks per game (6.4), steals per game (13.0) and efficiency (107.9).

Moron.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
enfuego wrote:
Led by Miller, the 2015 USA Basketball Men’s U19 World Championship Team won its seven games by an average of 25.3 points per contest at the 2015 FIBA U19 World Championship from June 27-July 5 in Crete, Greece. The gold medal finish was the USA men’s third in the past four U19 World Championships.

“To be named as a 2015 USA Basketball Co-National Coach of the Year is a great honor,” Miller said. “It is the culmination of the efforts of coaches and players working together for one purpose – a gold medal. A special thank you to USA Basketball for making all we did first class in every way possible.”

“One thing that made him a great coach is that he was willing to let the players be themselves,” Brunson said of Miller. “He had his offensive set and style of play. But at the same time he let us go and trusted us. We just played hard for him.

The USA’s average of 19.1 assists per game set a USA men’s U19 competition record, and its 55.6 percent shooting from 3-point (5-9 3pt FGs) against Italy on July 3 set a U.S. single-game high. Additionally, Chinanu Onauku’s (Louisville/Lanham, Md.) four blocks against Croatia on July 5 tied the USA U19 single-game record.

The USA led the 16-team field in seven team statistical categories, including scoring margin, points per game (88.3), total points (618), field goal percentage (.486), blocks per game (6.4), steals per game (13.0) and efficiency (107.9).

Moron.
But other than that what did he do?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
enfuego wrote:

Moron.
But other than that what did he do?
IIRC, quite a few of the nation's best under 19 players declined to play for the team, and there were several younger-than-usual guys on the team as well.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Can't remember the specifics, Deuce, but it was the youngest U19 team we'd ever fielded so you remember correctly.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

The U-19 discussion is more reminder that Miller has proven he can coach multiple times in different formats. That's why I find the whole "ceiling" discussion odd. Like Miller has all these unanswered questions about X's and O's.
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

it would be really tough to win with this roster. you really have to be a whiz with Xs and Os to succeed with these bums:

Josh Jackson
Caleb Swanigan
Jayson Tatum
Isaiah Briscoe
Terrance Ferguson
Chinanu Onauku
Trier

proves Miller is a strategic genius
meanwhile, any rpi top 30 team that plays a zone completely shuts our offense down
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RiseAndFire wrote:it would be really tough to win with this roster. you really have to be a whiz with Xs and Os to succeed with these bums:

Josh Jackson
Caleb Swanigan
Jayson Tatum
Isaiah Briscoe
Terrance Ferguson
Chinanu Onauku
Trier

proves Miller is a strategic genius
meanwhile, any rpi top 30 team that plays a zone completely shuts our offense down
In 2017, a team featuring McCoy, Diallo, Washington, Quickley and Reddish took only bronze with John Calipari coaching.

Don't let that get in the way of your agenda, though. If Miller only had your level of insight, he might achieve the coaching status I'm sure you have.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

He also ignores the fact that these foreign U19 guys play, practice and train together most of the year. Miller was handed a handful of kids who have never played together outside of a showcase or AAU event, and who have never played for Miller before. He had them for what, a couple of weeks before the games started?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:He also ignores the fact that these foreign U19 guys play, practice and train together most of the year. Miller was handed a handful of kids who have never played together outside of a showcase or AAU event, and who have never played for Miller before. He had them for what, a couple of weeks before the games started?
There's a lot of things he's ignoring.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:He also ignores the fact that these foreign U19 guys play, practice and train together most of the year. Miller was handed a handful of kids who have never played together outside of a showcase or AAU event, and who have never played for Miller before. He had them for what, a couple of weeks before the games started?
There's a lot of things he's ignoring.
And this is why he is on my ignore list...which really should be labelled "ignorant" list...only three guys are dumb enough to have made it for me...and two of them are raf
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:How does a coach lose a team 7 games into the season?
Oh it ain't lost yet.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:How does a coach lose a team 7 games into the season?
Oh it ain't lost yet.
Nope! What a win! That's some serious coachin, Sean.

Bear down!
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Honor the process? It's getting better. It's noticeable. We just hit December.
a4ragtop

Post by a4ragtop »

When I was 59 years and 48 weeks old, I thought that Sean Miller was the biggest idiot of a basketball coach ever. When I was 59 years and 50 weeks old, I was amazed at how much CSM had learned in two weeks.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

I'm not going to quote any posts. I'm just going to say it's DECEMBER 5th. Arizona has a team with a load of talent, but less than ideal senior leadership. Ayton is still a kid even though he doesn't look like one. Trier will be our best player as soon as he tries to be DPOY Kobe instead of All Star Game Kobe. The team only started putting the effort into defense in the second half of the UNLV game Saturday night. They just beat the best team they'll play all year. & Miller was not out coached.

F this thread - and no offense to a couple of you - it's hard to take the insufferable posts. It's hard to be a die hard fan. I'm not trying to grandstand. Give the team some time. Enjoy this team that we all so very much enjoy. They have a HUGE ceiling.

Cheers,

BDV
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Y'all see Miller mixing in a post double team? Two games in a row to take the big man out of the game.

Bummer we couldn't control Davis... but he looked unstoppable.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Yeah BDV, I hate this thread title too.....’Sean Miller’s Coaching’ would be a better, more positive title than ‘Ceiling’ which is so inherently negative IMHO.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I'm good with changing the title of the thread.

It was chosen after a really bad loss. You gotta let a few days pass, I've learned. Time brings perspective.
Bangkok Wildcat

Beachcat97 wrote:I'm good with changing the title of the thread.

It was chosen after a really bad loss. You gotta let a few days pass, I've learned. Time brings perspective.
Very cool Beachcat97! Thanks much and Bear Down.
Bangkok Wildcat

PS. Could you imagine if this thread title was ‘Tim Floyd’s Ceiling’??? Talk about dodging a bullet....I still remember waking up to a text from my Aggie Bro that our new coach was going to be Tim Floyd.....I almost crapped my pants till the situation cleared itself.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:PS. Could you imagine if this thread title was ‘Tim Floyd’s Ceiling’??? Talk about dodging a bullet....I still remember waking up to a text from my Aggie Bro that our new coach was going to be Tim Floyd.....I almost crapped my pants till the situation cleared itself.
I actually like Tim Floyd. I'd never take him over Sean, of course, but he was a decent college coach at USC and Iowa State.

But yeah, I get your point. Sean Miller has been wonderful for this program. The guy has his quirks, and he's obviously stubborn AF. But it's produced some pretty damn good results. The guy's system has worked for us more often than not. He also just seems like a good person. A stand up guy. He's a hard ass, but if you work hard for him, he's got your back. I think of Kadeem Allen. There's a guy who worked as hard as anyone recently, and Miller gave him every possible opportunity to lead the team and set himself up for the next level. Now he's with the Celtics. Sometimes Miller's recruited guys who turned out to be bad fits, but many have worked out just fine.

As long as Sean continues to learn and evolve and reflect on his craft, the dude's got no ceiling.
Bangkok Wildcat

Beachcat97 wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:PS. Could you imagine if this thread title was ‘Tim Floyd’s Ceiling’??? Talk about dodging a bullet....I still remember waking up to a text from my Aggie Bro that our new coach was going to be Tim Floyd.....I almost crapped my pants till the situation cleared itself.
I actually like Tim Floyd. I'd never take him over Sean, of course, but he was a decent college coach at USC and Iowa State.

But yeah, I get your point. Sean Miller has been wonderful for this program. The guy has his quirks, and he's obviously stubborn AF. But it's produced some pretty damn good results. The guy's system has worked for us more often than not. He also just seems like a good person. A stand up guy. He's a hard ass, but if you work hard for him, he's got your back. I think of Kadeem Allen. There's a guy who worked as hard as anyone recently, and Miller gave him every possible opportunity to lead the team and set himself up for the next level. Now he's with the Celtics. Sometimes Miller's recruited guys who turned out to be bad fits, but many have worked out just fine.

As long as Sean continues to learn and evolve and reflect on his craft, the dude's got no ceiling.
All good points above BC97. Agreed.....CSM is stubborn and needs to improve his coaching as all coaches do BUT I’m so damned glad to have him at the helm and pray that this FBI thing blows over and doesn’t wear him out. A post-CSM era will not be kind to us IMO.

Also, that first Elite 8 game vs Wiscy and that BS call for Nick Johnson charging cost us a FF or possibly a NC. I hate that too much emphasis is placed on the NCAA Tourney where a UCONN can crap the bed all season then get hot, win the NC and they are remembered for that. CSM has done so well for us during the years in the P12 and we are damned lucky to have him.

Got to have good luck as well as good talent / Coaching to win the NCAAs. We just haven’t had that luck yet....but I firmly believe we are due soon and hopefully CSM is there!
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

The more I watch this team, the more I realize that we cannot be reliant on Allonzo Trier every night for 20+ points. In fact, if we do try to get him to score that much, it's to our detriment. We have capable players who can score in a variety of ways. It's gonna take time for all the pieces to come together and having Alkins back will certainly help. Tonight Trier was contained by A&M's long defense. They bottled him up. We had open looks all over the floor and nobody could make anything except for Smith.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

zonagrad wrote:The more I watch this team, the more I realize that we cannot be reliant on Allonzo Trier every night for 20+ points. In fact, if we do try to get him to score that much, it's to our detriment. We have capable players who can score in a variety of ways. It's gonna take time for all the pieces to come together and having Alkins back will certainly help. Tonight Trier was contained by A&M's long defense. They bottled him up. We had open looks all over the floor and nobody could make anything except for Smith.
Someone in another thread made the point that Trier needs to flip his script entirely and become obsessed with defense. If he got after it on D with the same energy and pop he gets after it on O, he'd become our most valuable player. He has physical gifts that no one else on the team does; maybe Randolph. Trier can be an elite defensive player. He just hasn't committed to it the way he has to offense.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:Y'all see Miller mixing in a post double team? Two games in a row to take the big man out of the game.

Bummer we couldn't control Davis... but he looked unstoppable.
He's done that before. Lauri and Dusan did it to good effect against Ivan Rabb at McKale last year.
Pop McKale

Re: Sean Miller's coaching

Post by Pop McKale »

A couple things:

1) It won't happen - because after this long, leopards don't change their spots - but the end-of-half/end-of-game with a lead strategy is just brutal. I realize he's just playing the percentages as so many other coaches do, following the coaching handbook he was issued to the letter or whatever, but the dribble-out-the-clock-ISO-set sucks. It has for years now. Run your offense.

2) The substitution patterns baffle me. My dad has started calling Miller "The Cooler" because of his apparent propensity to sit guys who get hot and hit a few shots, make a few great defensive/hustle plays, etc. Also didn't understand why we just left Dusan on an island to guard Davis down the stretch last night. Let Lee or Ayton go at him or try some quick double-teams right after the entry pass to throw him off his block a bit.

I think these two factors are potential killers in big games (e.g. NCAA's).

All this said, man -- what a great win last night. You have to credit the man for whipping this roster into the shape it's now in after 2 short weeks.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Pop McKale wrote:Also didn't understand why we just left Dusan on an island to guard Davis down the stretch last night. Let Lee or Ayton go at him or try some quick double-teams right after the entry pass to throw him off his block a bit.
So you completely missed when the cameras got up close on Sean and he was yelling at the team "YOU GOTTA DOUBLE" after one of those plays, huh? He can't be on the floor doubling, he can only tell the guys to do it. If they don't, well shit that sucks.

Same with the fouling of the three point shooter. You know Sean teaches it right (we've done it right plenty of times), the team just fucked it up (although I'm of the belief Ayton grabbed him before he started shooting and it was somehow a continuation when that's not a thing in college basketball)
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

dcZONAfan wrote:
Pop McKale wrote:Also didn't understand why we just left Dusan on an island to guard Davis down the stretch last night. Let Lee or Ayton go at him or try some quick double-teams right after the entry pass to throw him off his block a bit.
So you completely missed when the cameras got up close on Sean and he was yelling at the team "YOU GOTTA DOUBLE" after one of those plays, huh? He can't be on the floor doubling, he can only tell the guys to do it. If they don't, well shit that sucks.

Same with the fouling of the three point shooter. You know Sean teaches it right (we've done it right plenty of times), the team just fucked it up (although I'm of the belief Ayton grabbed him before he started shooting and it was somehow a continuation when that's not a thing in college basketball)
This ^^^^^^
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dcZONAfan wrote:

On fouling, that's on Parker too. Fouling works when you wrap someone up on the dribble. You want that foul to happen about 35-40 feet from the rim on that player. Parker waited too long and got screened off. Then Ayton tried to compensate too late. If Parker does it right and fouls just over half court, we bleed a few seconds and eliminate the chance of a shooting foul.