What’s going on?
Out indefinitely???
UAEebs86

Re: Barcello

Post by UAEebs86 »

CBCat wrote:What’s going on?
Out indefinitely???

Ankle injury
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

How bad is it? Any ideas? Thanks
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:How bad is it? Any ideas? Thanks

Blurb from the Star:

Arizona freshman guard Alex Barcello won't play against New Mexico on Saturday because of an ankle sprain he suffered last week in practice.

Barcello injured his left ankle in practice last week following UA's Dec. 5 game with Texas A&M and tried to play on it against Alabama on Dec. 9 but played only four minutes. UA trainer Justin Kokoskie said the decision was made to keep him out for a while, and that it was uncertain if he would play Monday against North Dakota State or on Dec. 21 against UConn.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:How bad is it? Any ideas? Thanks

Blurb from the Star:

Arizona freshman guard Alex Barcello won't play against New Mexico on Saturday because of an ankle sprain he suffered last week in practice.

Barcello injured his left ankle in practice last week following UA's Dec. 5 game with Texas A&M and tried to play on it against Alabama on Dec. 9 but played only four minutes. UA trainer Justin Kokoskie said the decision was made to keep him out for a while, and that it was uncertain if he would play Monday against North Dakota State or on Dec. 21 against UConn.
Thanks UAE!
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

So two back-up PGs are dinged and Mr. "I can take on any 3 of you" is our back-up to PJC for 2 teams who can not be taken for granted. UConn always makes me nervous. I wonder why. To be fair, I didn't see last night's game, only listened to IMG and heard that Trier was OK or better while playing PG. Any comments from those who watched? Was anyone here at the Pit? I also heard that they don't call it that so much any more.
prh

Post by prh »

DiehardDave37 wrote:So two back-up PGs are dinged and Mr. "I can take on any 3 of you" is our back-up to PJC for 2 teams who can not be taken for granted. UConn always makes me nervous. I wonder why. To be fair, I didn't see last night's game, only listened to IMG and heard that Trier was OK or better while playing PG. Any comments from those who watched? Was anyone here at the Pit? I also heard that they don't call it that so much any more.
5 assists vs 2 turnovers, and scored 22 on 9 shots. I didn't have any issues with him at point last night.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

prh wrote:
DiehardDave37 wrote:So two back-up PGs are dinged and Mr. "I can take on any 3 of you" is our back-up to PJC for 2 teams who can not be taken for granted. UConn always makes me nervous. I wonder why. To be fair, I didn't see last night's game, only listened to IMG and heard that Trier was OK or better while playing PG. Any comments from those who watched? Was anyone here at the Pit? I also heard that they don't call it that so much any more.
5 assists vs 2 turnovers, and scored 22 on 9 shots. I didn't have any issues with him at point last night.
Yea. I’m a Trier skeptic and I think he played well last night. For the most part he was in the flow of the game, and he was creating when he got a window.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

threenumberones wrote:
prh wrote:
Yea. I’m a Trier skeptic and I think he played well last night. For the most part he was in the flow of the game, and he was creating when he got a window.
:lol: 1st team All American averaging 22+ puts a game. Keep being a skeptic. He’s the ultimate 2 guard he just needs to defend a little more
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Good. Keep it up trier.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

I'm also hearing that Zo can and does defend when he really needs to do it. Maybe he'll do more defending and less hero ball now that Rawle is back. He does seem to understand what is needed for the team to win.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

DiehardDave37 wrote:I'm also hearing that Zo can and does defend when he really needs to do it. Maybe he'll do more defending and less hero ball now that Rawle is back. He does seem to understand what is needed for the team to win.
Yes---I see it that way too, Dave.

Zo moves his fee well laterally and vertically, and he sees the court well on D and understands what's needed from him. He'a got the skill-set and the brains. The "but", as you imply is he comes and goes defensively. He usually turns himself on during the first half of a game projected to be a challenge, and also later in a game he projects to be in question.

But total time leave-it all-on-the-floor-D all the time per Miller's instructions, no. He's on and off. Miller doesn't put up with "pacing"(not to be confused with letting the game come to you) from our Cats; but there always seems to be a question whether you aggressively push hair-on-fire all the time from a highly elite player. Do you let a truly elite player express some leverage over you? Tough game this coaching.

A very interesting subject which I hope others discuss. Spiffer, que dice man?
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Back to Barcello...it’ll be good to have him back ASAP
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

LMAO at people taking shots at Trier.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

whatisee wrote:
threenumberones wrote:
prh wrote:
:lol: 1st team All American averaging 22+ puts a game. Keep being a skeptic. He’s the ultimate 2 guard he just needs to defend a little more
Zero rebounds. Zero!!! Not a skeptic but Trier needs to focus on all aspects of the game. Guard like hell when the opponent has the ball. Rebound like hell when the shot goes up. Move like hell when you don't have the ball. And finally, when you do have the ball, remember that the focus is to help your team score. It's irrelevant who gets the credit. Get the best shot for your team.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

zonagrad wrote:
whatisee wrote:
threenumberones wrote:
prh wrote:
Zero rebounds. Zero!!! Not a skeptic but Trier needs to focus on all aspects of the game. Guard like hell when the opponent has the ball. Rebound like hell when the shot goes up. Move like hell when you don't have the ball. And finally, when you do have the ball, remember that the focus is to help your team score. It's irrelevant who gets the credit. Get the best shot for your team.
Rebounds? :lol:
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

whatisee wrote:
threenumberones wrote:
prh wrote:
Look, if he plays within the flow of the offense he's a huge asset. If he doesn't then he's a disruption to a point where we sink or swim based on how hot his shooting is. We have seen this many times, last year and this. It's really simple. I'm hoping he has turned the corner from a maturity standpoint. There is no guarantee that an alpha-dog volume scorer meshes with Sean's system. It's oil and water, and we are seeing the effects of that.

Regarding his defense, I thought it was pretty damn good on Saturday (tho admittedly wasn't focusing on it).
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EOCT wrote:
DiehardDave37 wrote:I'm also hearing that Zo can and does defend when he really needs to do it. Maybe he'll do more defending and less hero ball now that Rawle is back. He does seem to understand what is needed for the team to win.
Yes---I see it that way too, Dave.

Zo moves his fee well laterally and vertically, and he sees the court well on D and understands what's needed from him. He'a got the skill-set and the brains. The "but", as you imply is he comes and goes defensively. He usually turns himself on during the first half of a game projected to be a challenge, and also later in a game he projects to be in question.

But total time leave-it all-on-the-floor-D all the time per Miller's instructions, no. He's on and off. Miller doesn't put up with "pacing"(not to be confused with letting the game come to you) from our Cats; but there always seems to be a question whether you aggressively push hair-on-fire all the time from a highly elite player. Do you let a truly elite player express some leverage over you? Tough game this coaching.

A very interesting subject which I hope others discuss. Spiffer, que dice man?
My thoughts on Zo generally flow through the way I view players and D.

The first thing I usually look at when thinking about a player is their raw ability. Some guys, like Dusan, have physical limits that no amount of work of effort cures. Other guys, like Rondae, are blessed with insane gifts. Trier is in the middle for me. He doesn't have insane length and lateral mobility like Rondae or a strong frame like Stanley or Alkins. He is decent-good in most categories. I think he likely has a ceiling as a above average defender, not great.

I do agree that he runs hot and cold on D. There are frustrating stretches where he doesn't give us much. Then, there are stretches where he has it together much better and makes a positive impact.

I'll say this, I think it is less about hard work and more about mental focus. Here and elsewhere, I see a lot of fans talk about those concepts like they're interchangeable, but I've always seen them as distinct. I've seen plenty of players playing hard but just fading in and out in being mentally locked in to assignments. Things like frustration and emotion can sway that.

One of the things that makes me say it's about mental focus with Zo is how sometimes his team D is off and he looks bad in rotations and closeouts. He knows how to do those things and does do them, but it slips sometimes. Rotations, especially for a junior who has played a lot, are mental focus issues.

That said, I don't get tremendously judgmental on players for mental focus issues. Heck, I'm 36 and see people (maybe even myself if I have to admit I'm not perfect) lose focus, get frustrated and not be locked in 100% of the time. Regress me to 18-20 years old and I'd have more issues.

I think Miller gets that. He has high standards and pushes kids, but you can't put every 19 year old who slips focus in the doghouse. You get down on people in CBB too fast and that doghouse better be roomy. Most players are an evolving process where you're working through some issue or another almost constantly.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

whatisee wrote: Yea. I’m a Trier skeptic and I think he played well last night. For the most part he was in the flow of the game, and he was creating when he got a window.

Rebounds? :lol:[/quote]
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

whatisee wrote: Yea. I’m a Trier skeptic and I think he played well last night. For the most part he was in the flow of the game, and he was creating when he got a window.

Rebounds? :lol:[/quote]

I expect any player who goes 37 minutes to get at least one rebound. Even PJC had 2 boards while playing ten fewer minutes. Rebounds are indicative of defensive positioning. That's not hating on Trier. Or thinking he shouldn't be playing. I just think he should and could be getting more rebounds. And I think it comes with your mindset on defense.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Dude, we out-rebounded New Mexico 2 to 1 (29 to 15)... Trier gave us 22 points on nine field goal attempts, and 5 assists to 2 turnovers..
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

zonagrad wrote:
[/quote]

whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
zonagrad wrote:
Image[/quote]

:lol: Exactly

Any word on Barcello? I'm sure he wants to be ready for ASSU since he's from the Valley, but it would be nice to see him on the floor by at least the UCONN game
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Latest is that he's day to day. We'll see if he suits up tonight but seems doubtful.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

He's wearing game shorts and warming up, looks good for him to play.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

ChooChooCat wrote:He's wearing game shorts and warming up, looks good for him to play.
Haven't seen him in the game as of yet, but i did see Akot for a second.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

whatisee wrote:
threenumberones wrote:
prh wrote:
I didn't realize they named the AA teams this early in the year.

Named 1st team and we have not even started conference play yet? That's quite impressive.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Harvey Specter wrote:
whatisee wrote:
threenumberones wrote:
prh wrote:
I didn't realize they named the AA teams this early in the year.

Named 1st team and we have not even started conference play yet? That's quite impressive.
Cute :lol:

Barcello looked like he’s missed some playing time, but it was good to see him back on the floor last night
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

You need to update your stats, WhatIsee. It's 21.7 PPG........ on 57% shooting and 44% from 3, over 3.2 RPG and APG. 8-)
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

rgdeuce wrote:Dude, we out-rebounded New Mexico 2 to 1 (29 to 15)... Trier gave us 22 points on nine field goal attempts, and 5 assists to 2 turnovers..
No kidding...there weren't a lot of O boards to get, and as long as someone is getting them, why should one player force their way in to say "hey...I need a stat or the internet will be mad."

If he had zero rebounds in multiple games and we were losing the battle on the boards, that is a valid concern. Otherwise, it is stathounding for no reason. If Ayton gets ALL the rebounds, who cares? It's a statistical wonder, a single game. But if boards were not an issue, what is the issue? If he boards in other games, but this one game when we made everything we shot and all rebounds were handled in a 2 to 1 ratio, what is the issue?

That very line of thinking advocates a player stepping out of a successful situation and forcing their way in to get a single stat. For one game in his career, the ball didn't fall to him. OK. Did we need him on the boards? No? Then who cares?
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

As for Alex...the ankle might help in a way. Right now, he is simply thinking too much. He is a pure shooter and is missing open shots (on the road, mostly). Yes, a shooter needs their legs, but he isn't limited from getting his usual jump shot height. Having something to focus on, maybe an excuse, might help him loosen up a touch?

Not saying the full ankle injury was good...just if it is a little nagging, a bit of a reminder, at his current health (able to play).
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EVCat wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:Dude, we out-rebounded New Mexico 2 to 1 (29 to 15)... Trier gave us 22 points on nine field goal attempts, and 5 assists to 2 turnovers..
No kidding...there weren't a lot of O boards to get, and as long as someone is getting them, why should one player force their way in to say "hey...I need a stat or the internet will be mad."

If he had zero rebounds in multiple games and we were losing the battle on the boards, that is a valid concern. Otherwise, it is stathounding for no reason. If Ayton gets ALL the rebounds, who cares? It's a statistical wonder, a single game. But if boards were not an issue, what is the issue? If he boards in other games, but this one game when we made everything we shot and all rebounds were handled in a 2 to 1 ratio, what is the issue?

That very line of thinking advocates a player stepping out of a successful situation and forcing their way in to get a single stat. For one game in his career, the ball didn't fall to him. OK. Did we need him on the boards? No? Then who cares?
That is sort of the bottom line. As long as we're dominating the glass, it doesn't really matter who's producing what. Having Ayton vacuuming the glass probably keeps other people lower than they would be if he wasn't constantly snatching double figure boards.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I'll get more worried if he starts hounding the stat, going in and fighting our own team for rebounds to get that stat (think Dennis Rodman).
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

EVCat wrote:I'll get more worried if he starts hounding the stat, going in and fighting our own team for rebounds to get that stat (think Dennis Rodman).
Or Ryan Anderson :lol:

Honestly, I like that though. I'll gladly trade the one turnover from that situation every few games to have a guy that has a nose for the ball on the glass.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Have to absolutely throw him out there now with no other ball handler right?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

NYCat wrote:Have to absolutely throw him out there now with no other ball handler right?
Ayton will run the point when PJC needs a breather.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

Time to see what he's made of. I think we'll end up seeing more Smith as well, which will also suck.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Sure, put him out there. He won't contribute any offense and he will be burned on defense every time down. But maybe he can get the ball up the court without turning it over.

Fucking depressing.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

BBQ wildcat wrote:Sure, put him out there. He won't contribute any offense and he will be burned on defense every time down. But maybe he can get the ball up the court without turning it over.

Fucking depressing.
You mean exactly like PJC? Cause that's what you get with PJC. And he's a senior. What're the chances that we have 2 4-year PG's, back to back, that fail to improve over 4 years?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:Have to absolutely throw him out there now with no other ball handler right?
Maybe he and Allonzo can just trade pee instead.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

qwertyus wrote:
BBQ wildcat wrote:Sure, put him out there. He won't contribute any offense and he will be burned on defense every time down. But maybe he can get the ball up the court without turning it over.

Fucking depressing.
You mean exactly like PJC? Cause that's what you get with PJC. And he's a senior. What're the chances that we have 2 4-year PG's, back to back, that fail to improve over 4 years?
That's total bullshit, and you know it. When Barcello is on the court, he looks completely lost. He can't even figure out where his man is, gets blown by every single time. Have seen him runnig around, just trying to find out where his man wnet. And cant. hit. shit. PJCs only "crime" is that he is short. He dishes assists at a 3:1 ratio and has a very good 3 point shooting average. I guess, to you, he should pass up those assists and shot more instead of passing.
BibbysTowelDude

Post by BibbysTowelDude »

I can't see Barcello getting that much run. He just isn't good enough right now.
jsbowl16

Post by jsbowl16 »

If nothing else, he should be well rested. I don't think we need to worry about him hitting the freshman wall until at least June.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

BBQ wildcat wrote:
qwertyus wrote:

Fucking depressing.
That's total bullshit, and you know it. When Barcello is on the court, he looks completely lost. He can't even figure out where his man is, gets blown by every single time. Have seen him runnig around, just trying to find out where his man wnet. And cant. hit. shit. PJCs only "crime" is that he is short. He dishes assists at a 3:1 ratio and has a very good 3 point shooting average. I guess, to you, he should pass up those assists and shot more instead of passing.
"Total bullshit"? Hyperbole, maybe, but there's a pretty solid grain of truth in it. Barcello is simply a worse, younger, version of PJC.

PJC is a liability on defense. 7 points a game? WOW, offensive explosion! He cracks under the press every freaking time. And he's a Senior. He has had 4 years to become a good PG. And he's mediocre at best.

The bar that you've set for Barcello is the bar that PJC sometimes clears. It's depressing that you can't see that.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

qwertyus wrote:
BBQ wildcat wrote:
qwertyus wrote:

Fucking depressing.
"Total bullshit"? Hyperbole, maybe, but there's a pretty solid grain of truth in it. Barcello is simply a worse, younger, version of PJC.

PJC is a liability on defense. 7 points a game? WOW, offensive explosion! He cracks under the press every freaking time. And he's a Senior. He has had 4 years to become a good PG. And he's mediocre at best.

The bar that you've set for Barcello is the bar that PJC sometimes clears. It's depressing that you can't see that.
Sorry, but I really have to call you out as a real moron. PJC breaks the press pretty much every single time. Trier gets flustered trying to bring the ball up against the press. PJC scores when he needs to score. When you have Ayon, Trier and Ristic (and Alkins, off and on) PJC's scoring isn't needed. His ball handling and assists are needed much more. But this week, with Trier out, I think you will see PJC score more. And I have to say, if you don't see that this team is much worse when PJC isn't in the game, you are probably blind. And, where did you see that I set any kind of bar for Barcello? He is horrible when he is on the court.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

qwertyus wrote: "Total bullshit"? Hyperbole, maybe, but there's a pretty solid grain of truth in it. Barcello is simply a worse, younger, version of PJC.

Yeah it's clear that this guy got lost on his keyboard. Which is ironic
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Barcello can't even handle 2 minutes a night NOW, after this.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

BBQ wildcat wrote:
qwertyus wrote:
BBQ wildcat wrote:
qwertyus wrote:

Fucking depressing.

Sorry, but I really have to call you out as a real moron. PJC breaks the press pretty much every single time. Trier gets flustered trying to bring the ball up against the press. PJC scores when he needs to score. When you have Ayon, Trier and Ristic (and Alkins, off and on) PJC's scoring isn't needed. His ball handling and assists are needed much more. But this week, with Trier out, I think you will see PJC score more. And I have to say, if you don't see that this team is much worse when PJC isn't in the game, you are probably blind. And, where did you see that I set any kind of bar for Barcello? He is horrible when he is on the court.
Oh shit, you got me, BBQ! PJC is the greatest! He totally isn't on the court because he's one of a handful of players who can dribble, you're right! He's there because he's a slasher and a scorer! He's there because of his impressive passing skills as he hands the ball off to Trier, or passes it to Ayton. I mean, his high 3-point percentage must translate into a lot of points then, right?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Alex "Ryan Arcidiacono" Barcello.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Oh shit, you got me, BBQ! PJC is the greatest! He totally isn't on the court because he's one of a handful of players who can dribble, you're right! He's there because he's a slasher and a scorer! He's there because of his impressive passing skills as he hands the ball off to Trier, or passes it to Ayton. I mean, his high 3-point percentage must translate into a lot of points then, right?

Well, let me put it this way. The team is much worse when PJC ISN'T on the court and Trier is running point. That should be very obvious to anyone who actually watches the games. Miller says PJC is very important to how the team performs, and In Miller I Trust. AND he has had to put PJC back into games to "stabilize" things, even when he is in foul trouble. So there's all that. Oh, yeah, plus Barcello isn't even seeing any junk minutes.

So, no, PJC isn't an elite PG. But he is decent, and is much better than any second choice we have.