2017/2018 PG

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: 2017/2018 PG

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:Trier did struggle to stay in front of the quicker smaller PG last night, so concerns about running him around on D and then asking him to give up the ball on O and then when does he have time and energy to do what he does best?
This is my big question. I don't doubt Trier can be at least an option at PG. I worry that you lose some of the thing that makes him so good on the wing if you do.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:This is my big question. I don't doubt Trier can be at least an option at PG. I worry that you lose some of the thing that makes him so good on the wing if you do.
But with wings like Alkins and Akot, we might be fine having Trier play more PG. For the reduced minutes PJC is in there at the point, we'll still get some minutes with Trier on the wing.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Longhorned wrote:I think PJC’s nickname should be “All Eggs”
not good - not good at all.

i didn’t think my concerns would crown this early but the turtle head is here.

PG, and lack thereof, has now officially become the biggest concern on this years team.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

97cats wrote:

PG, and lack thereof, has now officially become the biggest concern on this years team.
Agree completely. PJC can't make his own shot, and he is a defensive liability. The reality is that we have exactly one
athletic guard who can score and play defense......and he sat on the bench tonight waiting for his foot to heal.

This team is NOT talented......at least not yet. We need the frosh outside of Ayton to mature quickly.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

He is blending/just there far too much when Trier goes Trier. Either he is chumping up and not being assertive to re-take the reins, or he's being told.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

why does pjc walk the ball up wasting 10 seconds off the clock and allowing defense to set?

aggravating, push the ball!!
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

PJC needs to play in a mode where he gets into the game to change tempo with his defense and transition. To be effective, he needs to be disruptive by getting up into the opposing point guard and not letting the other team run their offense smoothly. And that's hard when you're a starter and playing for long stretches. You naturally tend to lag back and try to contain your main rather than being aggressive.

We don't need to ball in PJC's hands after every defensive rebound. In fact, it bothers me that our whole transition game is centered around him getting the outlet and then looking up court. Trier or the other wing should be ample alternatives for the outlet to ignite the transition game. When it's always PJC, we become predictable and easy to defend. And once the ball crosses half court and we get into our offense the ball predictably goes to Trier, so we're easier to guard there as well.

It all comes back to the other players stepping up and being threats to shoot or drive or do anything positive. I hope it's only a confidence
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

97cats wrote:

This team has other issues for sure, but I completely agree this is a BIG issue. If we want to be as good as we think we should be, we can’t have a PG that doesn’t set any sort of tone, gets outplayed habitually night after night...he’s basically just there to bring the ball up the court, at best. When we play scrub schools then PJC might have his 14/7 or whatever, which is what a stud final four caliber PG should be doing regularly against the best competition. NCSU and SMU ain’t the best competition. Not good.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Run the half court offense through Ayton. Let Alkins defend the point. Akot needs to grow up and shore up the wing.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

whatever pg issues we have are on Miller
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:whatever pg issues we have are on Miller
We'd be 6-0 right now if we had Nic Wise instead of PJC. I get on Miller's case to scheme better with the players he has on the roster, but there's nothing he can do about the hole at PG. I really hope Brandon Williams and Barcello shore up the position next season.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

The biggest hole for each national championship contender

Arizona Wildcats: Consistency defensively and at point guard

Sean Miller's team hasn't lost since returning from the Bahamas, rattling off eight straight wins -- including victories over Texas A&M and Arizona State. The Wildcats are starting to come together, looking like the national title contender we all thought they would be in the preseason. But they're going to need to guard better moving forward. Miller's teams are usually predicated on the defensive end, but this is his worst defense since 2011. With shot-blockers such as Ayton and Ristic down low and physical wings such as Alkins, that shouldn't be the case. As for the second part of the equation, Parker Jackson-Cartwright has been acceptable so far this season. But can Jackson-Cartwright hold his own for six straight games in March? That could be the ultimate key for the Wildcats.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... -contender
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I agree with what’s in blue, but since when is Ristic a shot blocker?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Chicat wrote:I agree with what’s in blue, but since when is Ristic a shot blocker?
:lol: :roll: :lol:

since never!!!

was curious to see how many posts till that ridiculous un-highlighted comment was identified...got my answer!
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Ayton isn't shot blocking much this season either
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

I'm surprised no one has really commented on how poor we are doing rebounding.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

The typist forgot to put in the "potential based on height" phrase.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Chicat wrote:I agree with what’s in blue, but since when is Ristic a shot blocker?
I was wondering if the writer has ever watch one of our games because Ristic is in no way, shape, or form a shot blocker.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

If you keep refreshing this image he'll become a shot blocker:

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

BBQ wildcat wrote:I'm surprised no one has really commented on how poor we are doing rebounding.
We've had good stretches of D and rebounding. Getting them to happen at the same time and consistently...well, that's been the issue.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

RondaeShimmy wrote:Ayton isn't shot blocking much this season either
over the last seven games (all wins) Ayton has blocked thirteen shots
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
BBQ wildcat wrote:I'm surprised no one has really commented on how poor we are doing rebounding.
We've had good stretches of D and rebounding. Getting them to happen at the same time and consistently...well, that's been the issue.
Yup

Arizona Wildcats
1st PAC12 D-I | 11-3

Field Goal % 5th 51.5 FG%
3-point % 36th 39.5 3P%
Points Scored 69th 1169 Pts
Total Rebounds 151st 36.9 RPG

No way we should have outrebounded ASsU by only 1 board.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

BBQ wildcat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Yup

Arizona Wildcats
1st PAC12 D-I | 11-3

Field Goal % 5th 51.5 FG%
3-point % 36th 39.5 3P%
Points Scored 69th 1169 Pts
Total Rebounds 151st 36.9 RPG

No way we should have outrebounded ASsU by only 1 board.
I think Alabama is comparable in style and we outrebounded them by 13. We have potential, but it is putting it to consistent use that is the issue.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

97cats wrote:
Yes and yes.

An observation Nine Sevun; many of Ayton's recent blocks have come when he gets to his target player late and gets up late. He's been more aggressive on D, so has moved against shooters for a block he heretofore would have just left alone. That sends him up a little late, supposedly; when in fact he's popping up properly.

In jumping "late" he's doing exactly what an experienced blocker should do, namely wait, wait, wait before starting up. In other words, never jump "with" the shooter, which is normal instinct. Wait.

I wish it were possible for Coach to send Ayton to Los Angeles to take a one hour lesson from Jud Buechler. Ayton would become the country's best blocker if he learned patience when beginning his jump for a block. Good grief, with his vertical he's be amazing.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

Jud in particular, or any basketball/volleyball combo player?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EOCT wrote:
97cats wrote:
Yes and yes.

An observation Nine Sevun; many of Ayton's recent blocks have come when he gets to his target player late and gets up late. He's been more aggressive on D, so has moved against shooters for a block he heretofore would have just left alone. That sends him up a little late, supposedly; when in fact he's popping up properly.

In jumping "late" he's doing exactly what an experienced blocker should do, namely wait, wait, wait before starting up. In other words, never jump "with" the shooter, which is normal instinct. Wait.

I wish it were possible for Coach to send Ayton to Los Angeles to take a one hour lesson from Jud Buechler. Ayton would become the country's best blocker if he learned patience when beginning his jump for a block. Good grief, with his vertical he's be amazing.
Timing isn't necessarily a thing a player learns. Ayton can sharpen it, but that is it. It's the same with Ayton's footwork. You can work on it, but he has an innate timing and fluidity shooting. He does not have that with shot blocking.

He can, and has, shown improvement. Mindset is the big thing. If he is aggressive, with his length and athleticism, he will be fine. Timing, there's only so much you can do.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Just like his timing on tip-off.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

dovecanyoncat wrote:Just like his timing on tip-off.
I guess it wouldn't be fair if Ayton were great at everything. I said after the Bahamas we'd be undefeated with Nic Wise instead of PJC. Not so sure about this now, although it would help if PJC were fearless and able to drive to the hoop like Nic. We just need PJC to shore up his defense, continue his assist:turnover trend, and keep hitting the open three. We have enough to cover his deficiencies if we can get Randolph, Smith, or Barcello to take a step or two forward.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

TatetheGreat wrote:
I guess it wouldn't be fair if Ayton were great at everything. I said after the Bahamas we'd be undefeated with Nic Wise instead of PJC. Not so sure about this now, although it would help if PJC were fearless and able to drive to the hoop like Nic. We just need PJC to shore up his defense, continue his assist:turnover trend, and keep hitting the open three. We have enough to cover his deficiencies if we can get Randolph, Smith, or Barcello to take a step or two forward.
I'm comfortable with both Ayton and PJC being mortal and flawed in their unique ways the way the rest of us non-athletes are. I have work crew experience and no sport team experience, but one thing I've learned about hard physical demand, and it's the same with an individual, I think, is that overall unit performance not only embraces and overcomes given nagging component flaws, it also finds a level of liberation and inspiration in respect of them. They define roles and responsibilities and interdependent support structures within the unit. It's a funny thing individually: I was always sorta banged up and gimpy when I did my most productive days at work. Focus is enhanced by particular sorts of distraction. So there's probably a great inspiration for our bench in knowing our starters' shortcomings.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

TatetheGreat wrote:
What the heck has happened to Barcello? Seemed like early on he was doing well and deadly from 3....now he’s faded into obscurity.....early Freshman Wall? Thoughts? Does anyone think he’ll pull it out and be a significant contributor? He’s been so disappointing lately after the early success IMO.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:
What the heck has happened to Barcello? Seemed like early on he was doing well and deadly from 3....now he’s faded into obscurity.....early Freshman Wall? Thoughts? Does anyone think he’ll pull it out and be a significant contributor? He’s been so disappointing lately after the early success IMO.
I think we will see Barcello shine next season. He either works his ass off to become our starting PG, or he plays off the ball with Brandon Williams at point, allowing him to display his shooting skills and gain confidence at this level. We all knew Barcello's best years would be as an upperclassman. It's unlikely he contributes much of note this season, but it's not impossible. Miller definitely believes in him.

Randolph and Smith have shown flashes; we just need them to break through. Hell, I'd be ecstatic if one becomes consistent on offense and the other on defense. They average about the same number of minutes and seem to seesaw in production.

Akot looks like an unofficial redshirt due to injury. I hope he stays and develops because he has loads of talent.

Lee has impressed me because I didn't expect him to play at all. His game is a work in progress, but I love the energy and effort.
Bangkok Wildcat

TatetheGreat wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:
I think we will see Barcello shine next season. He either works his ass off to become our starting PG, or he plays off the ball with Brandon Williams at point, allowing him to display his shooting skills and gain confidence at this level. We all knew Barcello's best years would be as an upperclassman. It's unlikely he contributes much of note this season, but it's not impossible. Miller definitely believes in him.

Randolph and Smith have shown flashes; we just need them to break through. Hell, I'd be ecstatic if one becomes consistent on offense and the other on defense. They average about the same number of minutes and seem to seesaw in production.

Akot looks like an unofficial redshirt due to injury. I hope he stays and develops because he has loads of talent.

Lee has impressed me because I didn't expect him to play at all. His game is a work in progress, but I love the energy and effort.
Very good points Tate.....re: Barcello, I had low expectations and thought like you pre-Season....guess I got a bit greedy when he shined early on though as we’ve been hurting at PG ever since TJ left. Thanks for the good input. Happy New Year!
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:

Very good points Tate.....re: Barcello, I had low expectations and thought like you pre-Season....guess I got a bit greedy when he shined early on though as we’ve been hurting at PG ever since TJ left. Thanks for the good input. Happy New Year!
Yep, we are dying for the next TJ. Barcello can be that guy in time. His shot is a lot better than TJ's but I don't know if anyone will have as much defensive tenacity. Happy 2018! :D
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

97, if would say this about Parker "Parker Jackson Cartwright" Jackson-Cartwright (which I agree is the weakness of this team), wouldn't you something similar about TJ Mcconnel? I said the same about TJ momentarily years ago and got lots of hate for my take. Yeah TJ was better defender, had better vision, wasn't 5'8 etc etc, but they both didn't do enough on offense. TJs shot was awful and slow, he couldn't create his own shot, which resulted in 4 v. 5 on an offensive teams that struggled to score.

It's a tired cliche, but guards win in March. I'm sorry but in a 4-6 game stretch the lead guard has to do more than taking care of the ball and passing it. That 4 vs 5 way of playing the PG position is like the prevent defense in football, which of course the only thing it prevents is victory. Eventually you're PG is going to have to score in the half court.

97, you're sort of right and wrong about PJC, you're right because PJC won't get this team far, if he does it'll be because he didn't screw up and the prevent defense held up this time. And you're wrong because PJC is a far worse TJ clone and this style of PG play wasn't and won't be enough to carry you because they couldn't do enough offensively.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:97, if would say this about Parker "Parker Jackson Cartwright" Jackson-Cartwright (which I agree is the weakness of this team), wouldn't you something similar about TJ Mcconnel? I said the same about TJ momentarily years ago and got lots of hate for my take. Yeah TJ was better defender, had better vision, wasn't 5'8 etc etc, but they both didn't do enough on offense. TJs shot was awful and slow, he couldn't create his own shot, which resulted in 4 v. 5 on an offensive teams that struggled to score.

It's a tired cliche, but guards win in March. I'm sorry but in a 4-6 game stretch the lead guard has to do more than taking care of the ball and passing it. That 4 vs 5 way of playing the PG position is like the prevent defense in football, which of course the only thing it prevents is victory. Eventually you're PG is going to have to score in the half court.

97, you're sort of right and wrong about PJC, you're right because PJC won't get this team far, if he does it'll be because he didn't screw up and the prevent defense held up this time. And you're wrong because PJC is a far worse TJ clone and this style of PG play wasn't and won't be enough to carry you because they couldn't do enough offensively.
This is crazy talk. TJ was a pass first player, but awful, slow, struggled to score, 4 on 5 are ridiculous.

We lost in 13-14 due to spacing issues triggered by Ashley's injury forcing Rondae and Aaron to play together when neither was a 3 point option. We were still in the 20's for AdjO. In 14-15, we were 7th nationally, so we were the world's greatest 4 on 5 team of all time.

TJ's NBA success should also tell you all you need to know.

That post is either satire or crazy.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Wisconsin beat us and got to back-to-back FFs with inferior guard play. I think someone else brought up the Florida championship teams as examples of winning teams without great guard play. No doubt it helps to have a PG who can create his own shot in crunch time, though.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I remember TJ being a burden on spacing in 13-14 as well. Didn’t shoot enough and wasn’t reliable from three. He did a much better job in 14-15 by attacking the rim more and using his deadly floater, though his three point shot never got there (until recently in the league).

Plenty of people complained about TJ not scoring enough, Miller included. By 14-15 TJ was a killer though and I had no complaints.

Re: PJC... he’s shown an ability to hit big shots in big games, even off the dribble. I remember a couple of free throw line dribble pull-ups that he’s nailed late in games this year. He hit that big three ball in the A&M game. He’s hit some other dagger threes for us as well.

I don’t really need PJC to create his own shot, I just need him to set up an offense that can create a shot. With Trier, Rawle, and Ayton we just need PJC to take care of the ball, direct the offense, and hit open looks to stretch the floor. I’m confident he can do those things. If you’re looking for PJC to effectively iso to the rim you’ll be left wanting for the rest of time.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

Thought Trier handled the PG duties very well tonight with PJC in foul trouble. I honestly have no problem giving Alonzo more minutes there if we want to go big.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Cartwright was amazing in the first half, excellent PG play

it gave a glimpse of what that kind of control and play can do for this team at the point of attack.

if Arizona got anywhere near that type of play night in and night out it will be very difficult to beat given all the other pieces.

this was a big game on the road and PJC showed up huge to set the tone in the first half.

in the second half he ran into problems, committed some tough fouls and Utah hit shots, but to his credit he didn’t mail it in and get down on himself.

he ended the game strong making important free throws and mostly playing mistake free basketball.

at one point after he RE-entered the game and it was getting frenetic again, when Alkins was at the line Miller pulled him over to the sideline and from one knee sternly told him to take control and be the PG.

big, big win on the road tonight for Arizona.
KOQSTRONG

Post by KOQSTRONG »

Kind of going on a tangent but somewhat relevant here, but I'm laughing my ass off reading Jeff Goodmans twitter feed right now. He's getting roasted all over, from our PG situation he constantly comments about, to literally licking the Balls balls in Lithuania. Its fucking hilarious.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

PJC is solid now. Has grown up so much. TJ like? No. But had he been at this level on other teams before this year under Miller people wouldnt even question it.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

KOQSTRONG wrote:Kind of going on a tangent but somewhat relevant here, but I'm laughing my ass off reading Jeff Goodmans twitter feed right now. He's getting roasted all over, from our PG situation he constantly comments about, to literally licking the Balls balls in Lithuania. Its fucking hilarious.

More embarrassing alumnus, Jeff Goodman or Geraldo Rivera?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

KOQSTRONG wrote:Kind of going on a tangent but somewhat relevant here, but I'm laughing my ass off reading Jeff Goodmans twitter feed right now. He's getting roasted all over, from our PG situation he constantly comments about, to literally licking the Balls balls in Lithuania. Its fucking hilarious.
Literally?
KOQSTRONG

Post by KOQSTRONG »

Longhorned wrote:
Literally?
I don't know for sure. Do you? Late night and wine probably made me phrase that wrong.
Bangkok Wildcat

KOQSTRONG wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Literally?
I don't know for sure. Do you? Late night and wine probably made me phrase that wrong.
Nope, you phrased it perfectly KOQSTRONG.....smh at ESPN sending him out there to let LaVar ‘teabag’ him and kiss their butts like this.....Especially embarrassing since he’s a Wildcat. Good grief, what a whore Goodman is....and a cheap one at that.
Bangkok Wildcat

UAEebs86 wrote:

More embarrassing alumnus, Jeff Goodman or Geraldo Rivera?
Damn you UAE, I’d forgotten about Geraldo! Lmao.....that’s a brutal question but I’m going for Geraldo because he’s got such a huge headstart on Goodman BUT this Lithuania trip for the Balls is letting him make up some serious ground!
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

97cats wrote:Cartwright was amazing in the first half, excellent PG play

it gave a glimpse of what that kind of control and play can do for this team at the point of attack.

if Arizona got anywhere near that type of play night in and night out it will be very difficult to beat given all the other pieces.

this was a big game on the road and PJC showed up huge to set the tone in the first half.

in the second half he ran into problems, committed some tough fouls and Utah hit shots, but to his credit he didn’t mail it in and get down on himself.

he ended the game strong making important free throws and mostly playing mistake free basketball.

at one point after he RE-entered the game and it was getting frenetic again, when Alkins was at the line Miller pulled him over to the sideline and from one knee sternly told him to take control and be the PG.

big, big win on the road tonight for Arizona.
+1
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

dovecanyoncat wrote: I'm comfortable with both Ayton and PJC being mortal and flawed in their unique ways the way the rest of us non-athletes are..
I dont think u can use Ayton and mortal in the same sentence.. at this level at least.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:
Not absolute, but there has been a noticeable trend: his good games come against mid major and smaller D1 program talent. We had quite a few of those games early. Against the premier talent, or at least the bigger faster, stronger, he is mostly ho hum to a liability. We got our hopes up too high watching him play against others who were closer to his pay grade, gonna take some time, maybe even a couple seasons, til he gets to where he can more consistently hang w the big boys.
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

rgdeuce wrote:
Not absolute, but there has been a noticeable trend: his good games come against mid major and smaller D1 program talent. We had quite a few of those games early. Against the premier talent, or at least the bigger faster, stronger, he is mostly ho hum to a liability. We got our hopes up too high watching him play against others who were closer to his pay grade, gonna take some time, maybe even a couple seasons, til he gets to where he can more consistently hang w the big boys.
I dunno man. Ayton is never a liability. That is absurd.

When we were playing our best teams:

Alabama - Monster Game
ASU - Monster game
T A&M - Good Game with a double double
Utah - Monster Game
UNLV - Monster game

I don't understand the statement.

EDIT: I am an idiot. Missread your post. Yes, PJC is a liability.