2017-2018 Arizona Basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CalStateTempe

Re: 2017-2018 Arizona Basketball

Post by CalStateTempe »

scumdevils86 wrote:We have the ability to battle back and beat bag and mediocre and some good teams but does anyone actually think we beat Purdue in an elite 8 game or someone similar currently?
Nope.

Unfortunely we are currently less than the sum of our parts.

Really disappointing season.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CalStateTempe wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:We have the ability to battle back and beat bag and mediocre and some good teams but does anyone actually think we beat Purdue in an elite 8 game or someone similar currently?
Nope.

Unfortunely we are currently less than the sum of our parts.

Really disappointing season.
Kind of like 1997?

Sorry, had to say it, although I hate seeing it posted every year.

However, Lute seemed to adjust really well to the talent he had. Miller, not so much.

Cats have to do it this year, with Ayton, Trier and Alkins all likely gone.

Bench needs to really pick it up too. Tired of seeing gooseeggs on the scoreboard for them.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

scumdevils86 wrote:We have the ability to battle back and beat bad and mediocre and some good teams but does anyone actually think we beat Purdue in an elite 8 game or someone similar currently?
Do you mean what are the odds or can we? We definitely can, and in the NCAA tourney, far bigger underdogs have won.

Would we be an underdog? Yeah.

The line about battling back against meh teams...we can only play who we play in conference. Other top teams are losing conference games too.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

scumdevils86 wrote:We have the ability to battle back and beat bad and mediocre and some good teams but does anyone actually think we beat Purdue in an elite 8 game or someone similar currently?
Purdue has arguably the current best record in college hoops...I can fully see them going to a FF with no problem...
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:It’s clear that several posters don’t watch much college basketball outside of Arizona games, coupled with the inability to understand much of anything.

Some really aggressive takes on here that are pretty idiotic yet funny.
I'm not proud to say that I've watched a ton of college basketball this season, and I share your opinion.

But even if somebody doesn't watch non-Arizona games, here's something straightforward we can all agree on:

Arizona does not play like the same team that was in the Bahamas. The number of Arizona's losses since that debacle (1) is equal to the amount of losses suffered by Villanova and Virginia, and second only to Purdue (0). That 14-1 record includes 5 true road wins.
While I agree with the two of you, my primary concern is that all the metrics certainly suggest we are absolute dog shit on one end of the basketball court and while that's not impossible to overcome in the NCAA tourney it doesn't necessarily bode well for our chances in said tourney either.
Choo, you are certainly spot on about the metrics being what they are, and your fears are surely valid.

Let me present this though. What did fantastic metrics get us in years past? What did that top 5 Adj win us? What did pretty, double digit wins and undefeated out of conference seasons achieve?

Metrics are great to ascertain who is good, bad or mediocre. They are along with rankings (to a lesser degree) are a tool to be used to determine how to gauge a team compared with other teams.

Having watched a ton of basketball, not only this year but for the better part of nearly 3 decades, I can say that there is not a team out there that is hands and shoulders above the others. Duke is nearly equally as shitty defensively, but does anyone think that they have a sweet 16 ceiling?

For some posters the anvil is always dangling by a thread above the head. It's January and a ton of basketball is to be be played. A ton of shit can happen-both good or bad...just look at what has happened after January in years past.

Arizona has to improve, be healthy and confident going into March. But anyone pointing to this season as a disappointment needs to have their expectations readjusted. Or better yet, try rooting for ASU who was the non-conf regular season champs before the PAC season started.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Good question. I don't think any team is similar to Purdue right now, so I'll address whether we can beat Purdue in March. It would take a hell of a strong February from Arizona, with health and continued improvement, to make me believe we could beat Purdue in March. Right now, I don't see any reason to exclude that kind of improvement won't happen in February.

Purdue isn't the most talented team, and they don't have that "best player on the floor who will beat you in a one-and-out" category checked off the list. They are very disciplined and tough, and that bodes well for them, but they don't have the upside of more talented teams who happen to come together in March. I like Purdue's chances, but they could also be like that 2014 Wichita State team that ran into Kentucky, who put it together at the right time after a disappointing season and made it to the title game, which they should have won.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Beachcat97 wrote:We have Ayton; rest of country does not. So there's that.
Get Ayton in foul trouble should be opponents #1 tactic.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:
Good question. I don't think any team is similar to Purdue right now, so I'll address whether we can beat Purdue in March. It would take a hell of a strong February from Arizona, with health and continued improvement, to make me believe we could beat Purdue in March. Right now, I don't see any reason to exclude that kind of improvement won't happen in February.

Purdue isn't the most talented team, and they don't have that "best player on the floor who will beat you in a one-and-out" category checked off the list. They are very disciplined and tough, and that bodes well for them, but they don't have the upside of more talented teams who happen to come together in March. I like Purdue's chances, but they could also be like that 2014 Wichita State team that ran into Kentucky, who put it together at the right time after a disappointing season and made it to the title game, which they should have won.
That is the NCAA tournament. Could we beat Purdue? Even in the same bracket, half the time you don't have to, regardless of who that other team was.

The 2014 Kentucky team was an undefeated juggernaut. How did that work out for them?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Anyone can beat anyone and end a season in the NCAA's...anyone arguing differently is clueless.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

That is the NCAA tournament. Could we beat Purdue? Even in the same bracket, half the time you don't have to, regardless of who that other team was.

The 2014 Kentucky team was an undefeated juggernaut. How did that work out for them?
2014 they were national runner up as a 8 seed

2015 they went 38-1 and lost in the final four
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RondaeShimmy wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

2014 they were national runner up as a 8 seed

2015 they went 38-1 and lost in the final four
Sorry, meant the 14-15 season.

Edit: although those two years speak volumes about the correlation between reg season and tourney.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

CatFanOneMil wrote:
Purdue has arguably the current best record in college hoops...I can fully see them going to a FF with no problem...
Besides Arizona who is Purdue's big win? Michigan by 4?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Purdue is exceptionally good. Not sure why there’s a desire to discount that.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

YoDeFoe wrote:Purdue is exceptionally good. Not sure why there’s a desire to discount that.
I asked a question...not trying to discount anything...but whats their stellar victories?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

RondaeShimmy wrote:
How many games has Ayton fouled out of this year?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Beachcat97 wrote:
RondaeShimmy wrote:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=deandre+ayton+season+stats" target="_blank
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

PHXCATS wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
RondaeShimmy wrote:
It was a rhetorical question. He's fouled out twice, which isn't bad.
Last edited by Beachcat97 on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Beachcat97 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
RondaeShimmy wrote:
It was a rhetorical question. He hasn't fouled out of a game.
Actually no again, he has twice
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Right. Is your point, then, that Ayton getting in foul trouble is a major concern for March? He hasn't really shown that he's foul-prone.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Olsondogg wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:
They are currently 9-0 in the Big 10...I honestly do not see them dropping a game in their conference...come selection Sunday they will easily be a #2 seed...which is more than I can say for the winner of the Pac 12 conference regardless of who it is...
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Beachcat97 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Right. Is your point, then, that Ayton getting in foul trouble is a major concern for March? He hasn't really shown that he's foul-prone.[/quote]

My points are
1) You are asking questions that are super easy to look up that are fact based not opinion based
2) Teams will be attacking Ayton to get him in foul trouble or out of his game
3) There is not a good way to protect Ayton from #2 happening
4) He is very very very good but he isn't the only thing that is going to keep Arizona in tough games when very good teams are playing vs UA
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CatFanOneMil wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:
They are currently 9-0 in the Big 10...I honestly do not see them dropping a game in their conference...come selection Sunday they will easily be a #2 seed...which is more than I can say for the winner of the Pac 12 conference regardless of who it is...
If U of A wins the PAC-12 regular season and conference tournament and drops two or less games the rest of the way they will be the 2 in the west.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

PHXCATS wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:
If U of A wins the PAC-12 regular season and conference tournament and drops two or less games the rest of the way they will be the 2 in the west.
Yea I'm not drinking that cool-aid yet...granted we move up in rankings the Pac is incredibly weak this year, I barely see us getting three in the tournament and if we somehow get four it will only be because UA was beat again by some outlier team...

"Can't Guard-U" MIGHT make it...but its doubtful in this current trend...UA/USC/Stanford...if Altman uses his wizard staff and somehow makes some noise in the pac MAYBE...but who else is gonna get to the dance?

So I'm not buying into the idea that winning the PAc-12 outright and tournament actually boosts us...and that means dropping zero games from here on out...
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

PHXCATS wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
RondaeShimmy wrote:
should've googled 'deandre ayton game log' tbh
Last edited by SunnyAZ on Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CatFanOneMil wrote:Yea I'm not drinking that cool-aid yet...granted we move up in rankings the Pac is incredibly weak this year, I barely see us getting three in the tournament and if we somehow get four it will only be because UA was beat again by some outlier team...

"Can't Guard-U" MIGHT make it...but its doubtful in this current trend...UA/USC/Stanford...if Altman uses his wizard staff and somehow makes some noise in the pac MAYBE...but who else is gonna get to the dance?

So I'm not buying into the idea that winning the PAc-12 outright and tournament actually boosts us...and that means dropping zero games from here on out...
I guess we just have to agree to disagree but people who are doing future outlooks for the seeding not just results to date are putting U of A as the 2 in the west currently.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

CatFanOneMil wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:
We were playing them in the consolation game in Bahamas. Since then, to date they’ve beaten one ranked team, by 4 points yesterday. They beat that same team when not ranked by 1. They have yet to play at Michigan State or Ohio State and have 5 road games left.

I’ll reserve judgment and revisit in a month or so.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

10 reg season games left. Think it's easy to envision at worst 7-3. @UW, @ASU, and @Oregon seem like the most probable losses. But then, there's still USC. I just can't see us losing 4 out of these final 10. I think 8-2 is more likely.
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

PHXCATS wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Right. Is your point, then, that Ayton getting in foul trouble is a major concern for March? He hasn't really shown that he's foul-prone.
My points are
1) You are asking questions that are super easy to look up that are fact based not opinion based
2) Teams will be attacking Ayton to get him in foul trouble or out of his game
3) There is not a good way to protect Ayton from #2 happening
4) He is very very very good but he isn't the only thing that is going to keep Arizona in tough games when very good teams are playing vs UA[/quote]
Why not let him guard the opposing team's worse offensive player regardless who it is. Or give guys an extra step so they can't get to the basket and potentially draw fouls? Players really struggle to shoot over him with his length so back up a step and entice the jumper
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:10 reg season games left. Think it's easy to envision at worst 7-3. @UW, @ASU, and @Oregon seem like the most probable losses. But then, there's still USC. I just can't see us losing 4 out of these final 10. I think 8-2 is more likely.
We can win every single one of those games and should focus on winning our next game, then repeat that over and over until there isn't a next game. Prognosticating 2 or 3 more losses...screw that. Beat Utah. Move on.

There really shouldn't be acceptable losses.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:10 reg season games left. Think it's easy to envision at worst 7-3. @UW, @ASU, and @Oregon seem like the most probable losses. But then, there's still USC. I just can't see us losing 4 out of these final 10. I think 8-2 is more likely.
We can win every single one of those games and should focus on winning our next game, then repeat that over and over until there isn't a next game. Prognosticating 2 or 3 more losses...screw that. Beat Utah. Move on.

There really shouldn't be acceptable losses.
I never said losses were acceptable. Just trying to do an overview of the next several weeks.

I agree: we can go 10-0 in this stretch. Will we? History says no, but the Pac is obviously weak AF this year. It's conceivable that only two Pac teams will get into the dance, unless ASU gets its act together.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Olsondogg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:It’s clear that several posters don’t watch much college basketball outside of Arizona games, coupled with the inability to understand much of anything.

Some really aggressive takes on here that are pretty idiotic yet funny.
I'm not proud to say that I've watched a ton of college basketball this season, and I share your opinion.

But even if somebody doesn't watch non-Arizona games, here's something straightforward we can all agree on:

Arizona does not play like the same team that was in the Bahamas. The number of Arizona's losses since that debacle (1) is equal to the amount of losses suffered by Villanova and Virginia, and second only to Purdue (0). That 14-1 record includes 5 true road wins.
While I agree with the two of you, my primary concern is that all the metrics certainly suggest we are absolute dog shit on one end of the basketball court and while that's not impossible to overcome in the NCAA tourney it doesn't necessarily bode well for our chances in said tourney either.
Choo, you are certainly spot on about the metrics being what they are, and your fears are surely valid.

Let me present this though. What did fantastic metrics get us in years past? What did that top 5 Adj win us? What did pretty, double digit wins and undefeated out of conference seasons achieve?

Metrics are great to ascertain who is good, bad or mediocre. They are along with rankings (to a lesser degree) are a tool to be used to determine how to gauge a team compared with other teams.

Having watched a ton of basketball, not only this year but for the better part of nearly 3 decades, I can say that there is not a team out there that is hands and shoulders above the others. Duke is nearly equally as shitty defensively, but does anyone think that they have a sweet 16 ceiling?

For some posters the anvil is always dangling by a thread above the head. It's January and a ton of basketball is to be be played. A ton of shit can happen-both good or bad...just look at what has happened after January in years past.

Arizona has to improve, be healthy and confident going into March. But anyone pointing to this season as a disappointment needs to have their expectations readjusted. Or better yet, try rooting for ASU who was the non-conf regular season champs before the PAC season started.
I absolutely agree with every thing you said here, my sole retort...Arizona Basketball is cursed, hence why the metrics never matter for us. :lol:
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Akot is a guy who (absent the occasional blunder) has emerged im these last several games. He looked like our best on ball perimeter defender yesterday and even when he is a step slow he stays w his man or recovers most of the time. His shooting has looked alright lately and he has done some nice things passing off drives into the lane. The length obviously helps us bigtime. I just want us to start trending the right way on defense on a game to game basis. If we can get that, and if Akot can continue to gradually improve (needs PT) into a guy who can give us some big minutes against those perimeter players w length or stretch 4 types, I think we will be in pretty good shape.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

qwertyus wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Too much depression on this board. We can be better, but a 9 point win, a 17-4 record and being poised to move into the top ten and everyone is sad.
Too much depression, true. But I yearn for more hunger in our players. These "average" Pac-12 opponents cause us protracted periods of disfunction, so who's at fault in that? Often the "average" conference player brings it in a way our pampered recruits don't. We have a blue-blood program and a demanding coach but if a player's standard for himself is not this-game-at-this-moment then his performance can often be outdone by "average" but hungry players.

Not to speak well of the devil, but every opponent has players with the fire of Rawle. We have only one.
And yet we're 6-1 in conference, and nobody besides maybe Duke has a player as dominant as Ayton. This team's not amazing. But it will grind its way to a 16-2 finish in the PAC and a PAC12 Tournament win. Then, whatever happens in the tourney happens. Hopefully, Miller isn't outcoached like last year, and we'll have a greater than 50 percent chance against anyone we face.

For a year clouded by the FBI, clouded by the S16 shitshow last year, hell, even Wichita f*cking State 2 years ago... After all that drama, we're on our way to another conference title and a chance at a Final Four. The ride's never been smooth, so why are we pretending like this is new?
It's not new; we as fans are inured to U of A basketball success. But we're emotionally reactive to the spread between current production and potential. Metrics notwithstanding, and for good reason, we know there needs to be something else that pushes a program over the top and into the FF, or into whatever achievement is as yet unmade, in our case for the coach. Luck. Timing. Health. Lightning in a bottle. With all our advantages (I alluded to by "pampered" recruits): tradition, funding, coaching, facilities, chartered flights, historic fan support, McD's All Americans we should be where we are at the top of the Conference. I'm not depressed but I take my cue from our coach. We're not the right kind of hungry ... not yet. Dusan played two years with Zeus from whom he should have learned by now where his defensive position should be all the time. Dusan can't get quicker but he can get better. Trier was with Kadeem for two years and saw Miller heap praise on his raw effort. Trier has asthma so maybe he can't go as hard a Kadeem did, but he knows what effort on both sides of the ball looks like. I don't worry about our bench. They're hungry and they'll get better. We're improving but none of us knows what the outcome will be.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I can’t believe Twitter is free...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

What the hell does that even mean?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Is that some sort of artificial intelligence bot?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

:lol:

I searched “Rawle Alkins” so I could get an update on his status to pick him for RAP and I discovered that incredible majesty.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Jesse Wildcat things that doesn't make sense
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Well Titus nails it again.

6. Arizona (17–4)
The good news: With less than a week remaining until the calendar turns to February, Arizona has lost games only in Atlantis (which isn’t even a real place) and Colorado (might as well be on the moon). Oklahoma features a freshman who is setting the record books on fire, and Duke has a freshman who could score every time down the floor if he wanted to, but if I were an NBA general manager I’d still take Arizona’s Deandre Ayton over both of them. Allonzo Trier has been incredible since the Wildcats’ loss at Colorado, Dylan Smith has played nearly flawlessly in the two games that he’s started in place of the injured Rawle Alkins, and Arizona has a decent shot at landing a no. 2 seed in the NCAA tournament.

The bad news: Head coach Sean Miller can’t get out of his own way, because his basketball philosophy is stuck in 1986 and he’s apparently hell-bent on going down with the ship. I refuse to give up on this Arizona team until it’s eventually bounced early from the NCAA tournament, but even I can’t deny it anymore: I have zero faith that the Cats are going to figure things out defensively. I just don’t see it happening when Arizona plays a majority of every game with two 7-footers and a tiny point guard on the floor at the same time. Remember when I said North Carolina was the most frustrating team in college basketball? I lied. The Tar Heels are frustrating since I can’t figure out why they’re so inconsistent. The Cats are frustrating since I know exactly why Arizona keeps finding itself in close games despite having the two best players in the Pac-12, and it destroys me that I can’t do a damn thing about it.
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

Chicat wrote::lol:

I searched “Rawle Alkins” so I could get an update on his status to pick him for RAP and I discovered that incredible majesty.
:lol: I did the same thing earlier and I was trying to figure out wtf I was reading.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ChooChooCat wrote:Well Titus nails it again.

6. Arizona (17–4)
The good news: With less than a week remaining until the calendar turns to February, Arizona has lost games only in Atlantis (which isn’t even a real place) and Colorado (might as well be on the moon). Oklahoma features a freshman who is setting the record books on fire, and Duke has a freshman who could score every time down the floor if he wanted to, but if I were an NBA general manager I’d still take Arizona’s Deandre Ayton over both of them. Allonzo Trier has been incredible since the Wildcats’ loss at Colorado, Dylan Smith has played nearly flawlessly in the two games that he’s started in place of the injured Rawle Alkins, and Arizona has a decent shot at landing a no. 2 seed in the NCAA tournament.

The bad news: Head coach Sean Miller can’t get out of his own way, because his basketball philosophy is stuck in 1986 and he’s apparently hell-bent on going down with the ship. I refuse to give up on this Arizona team until it’s eventually bounced early from the NCAA tournament, but even I can’t deny it anymore: I have zero faith that the Cats are going to figure things out defensively. I just don’t see it happening when Arizona plays a majority of every game with two 7-footers and a tiny point guard on the floor at the same time. Remember when I said North Carolina was the most frustrating team in college basketball? I lied. The Tar Heels are frustrating since I can’t figure out why they’re so inconsistent. The Cats are frustrating since I know exactly why Arizona keeps finding itself in close games despite having the two best players in the Pac-12, and it destroys me that I can’t do a damn thing about it.
Choo, can you explain this to a layman? To me, Titus is saying that Arizona's defensive woes are due to Miller's stubbornness about an outmoded, 1980's emphasis on size in playing Ayton and Ristic together, along with PJC at point guard. What is the more effective option? I'm assuming he doesn't mean PJC should be benched, and is just saying that Miller shouldn't add the liability of Ristic on top of the need to play PJC. So is he saying a 4-guard lineup of PJC, Trier, Smith, Alkins, and Ayton?

The way I see it, Miller is doing something that would have surprised fans in previous seasons: sacrificing defense for offense, and closing out games with whatever pieces (going small, etc.) are needed to get stops at the end. I don't see Smith or anybody else on that Arizona bench as a defensive solution.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Well what was most effective for Arizona defensively against Stanford for instance? Was it Ayton and Dus out there together or was it Rawle at the 4 with either Ayton or Dus at the 5?

I totally concede your point that Miller is sacrificing defense for offense, but it's certainly fair to question whether that strategy is the correct one. It's also fair to question whether he's doing it specifically for offense or more for loyalty to his senior center who he begged to come back over Comanche. Lord knows Miller can't hurt his non-existent Serbian pipeline when he can't land U.S. high school players any more I guess.

For the record while I love Dus's offense I still think any lineup with Rawle at the 4 along side one of our 7 footers is more than effective offensively (especially with the recent emergence of Smith although probably less effective) and much more effective defensively.

Either way this is the worst defensive team Sean Miller has coached since his very first Xavier team. The Nic Wise team was better defensively per metrics. That's pretty awful.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Ultimately Arizona's issues under Sean Miller are bigger than anything happening with this year's team or anything the FBI is doing to our future. The roster management and systems employed has always been a major mismatch outside from probably the first TJ McConnell team IMO.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ChooChooCat wrote:Well what was most effective for Arizona defensively against Stanford for instance? Was it Ayton and Dus out there together or was it Rawle at the 4 with either Ayton or Dus at the 5?

I totally concede your point that Miller is sacrificing defense for offense, but it's certainly fair to question whether that strategy is the correct one. It's also fair to question whether he's doing it specifically for offense or more for loyalty to his senior center who he begged to come back over Comanche. Lord knows Miller can't hurt his non-existent Serbian pipeline when he can't land U.S. high school players any more I guess.

For the record while I love Dus's offense I still think any lineup with Rawle at the 4 along side one of our 7 footers is more than effective offensively (especially with the recent emergence of Smith) and much more effective defensively.
I think having Rawle at the 4 turned the game around, and part of that was the ability to extend the defense while still being able to defend in transition, which you can't do with the two bigs. But with few exceptions, that kind of hectic small ball doesn't seem like a winning game-long strategy for teams, especially with what I've seen from Arizona's bench this season. I can't imagine more minutes to anyone on that bench, and at the expense of forcing the opponent to put their second-best post defender on Ristic. Then again, I also think the opponent's other answer to that problem -- zoning Arizona -- is overstated as a kind of kryptonite that destroys this team, and I know I'm not with popular sentiment around here. I think Arizona lost to Colorado because they came out with their worst effort imaginable, dug themselves a 22 point hole, repeatedly succeeded at getting the ball to the hole against the zone, but got killed by Ristic's worst offensive performance ever when he missed seven point-blank layups.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

You're probably right, moving Dusan to the bench will probably not fix anything with this team. I'm projecting blame on having two 7 footers starting where the blame should really be on the lack of defensive ability of our backcourt players.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Perimeter defense is the biggest weakness besides the lack of depth.

Trier and Rawle are TERRIBLE off ball defenders, PJC is ok but he's just outsized a lot and pushed around by bigger guards
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Assuming Rawle can play today (and going forward) I'd like to see Smith start and bring Rawle off the bench.

For whatever reason Smith plays better when he starts, and Rawle could provide what he does now only more-so if he comes off the bench at the first timeout when we spell a big man. Plus maybe he'd play a few less minutes which could help with his soreness issue.

I know I'm not the first to mention it, just figured I'd chime in as well.

(Oh, and this is of course assuming Rawle has the mindset to be that 6th man and be ok with it).
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:Assuming Rawle can play today (and going forward) I'd like to see Smith start and bring Rawle off the bench.

For whatever reason Smith plays better when he starts, and Rawle could provide what he does now only more-so if he comes off the bench at the first timeout when we spell a big man. Plus maybe he'd play a few less minutes which could help with his soreness issue.

I know I'm not the first to mention it, just figured I'd chime in as well.

(Oh, and this is of course assuming Rawle has the mindset to be that 6th man and be ok with it).
Refer to your parenthesis man, not going to happen.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Today.

Deuce: No, No, no,......YES! NO, NO, NO'......Yes! NO, NO, NO......YES!

Akot: You're a fucking GLOVE, man!
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

You have no idea how many murderous thoughts went through my mind the moment he shot that 3 before it went in.