The refs suck

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: The refs suck

Post by Merkin »

Lute would send a tape the PAC offices after such a travesty.

Now I think the PAC reviews every game and grades the refs.

One ref for sure should be back doing high school games.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Let's not forget how awful some of these other conference games have been this season, but these refs today.... This officiating team should never work again.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Merkin wrote:Lute would send a tape the PAC offices after such a travesty.

I wouldn't wish those refs on any high school team. They should all be fired.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:Lute would send a tape the PAC offices after such a travesty.

He works for Adidas. I don't even know how the hell he has a job reffing games where shoe companies are so involved.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Malpractice
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

In a competently officiated game, Arizona wins tonight by 20.

The refs lost tonight, but Krystowiak should go straight to the microphone and thank them from the bottom of his asshole, because they did everything they possible could to give his team a chance.
psiclist23

Post by psiclist23 »

I rarely complain about the refs but some of those (many) were baffling. Did the refs think we were playing Duke?
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

What’s the name of the greaseball ref that called that Gould on Alonzo?
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

whatisee wrote:What’s the name of the greaseball ref that called that Gould on Alonzo?
I don't know but I'm pretty sure he called every foul Trier got...worst officiated game of the entire season by far...

TYPICALLY...there is some "home cooking" it is standard in just about every conference, todays game Az was the visiting team.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

I can't remember when I was this furious about the officiating -- even in a loss.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

whatisee wrote:What’s the name of the greaseball ref that called that Gould on Alonzo?
https://www.linkedin.com/in/scott-brown-52914771" target="_blank

Scott Brown
Director of Footwear at Adidas

Portland, Oregon AreaSporting Goods
Current
adidas, Pac-12 Conference
Previous
Under Armour, Nike, NBA G League
Education
University of Idaho
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

CatFanOneMil wrote:
I don't know but I'm pretty sure he called every foul Trier got...worst officiated game of the entire season by far...

TYPICALLY...there is some "home cooking" it is standard in just about every conference, todays game Az was the visiting team.
Arizona gets some "home cooking" in some of the more obscure non-cons, typically. But come conference games, especially in the Larry Scott era, Cats might as well be playing by Wheelchair Game rules.

As I noted in the game thread, I don't understand how every conference coach just "goes along" with such incompetence and coaches players like they can make more of a difference.

This conference officiates games like a den of thieves to protect its sorry national rep, regardless of the postseason consequences. There's not even really a facade of an alibi put up anymore. It's become as blatant as the Kareem "no-dunk" rule.

Just once, I'd like to see ANY Pac-12 coach take the fine and take off on this national embarrassment the legacy of Pac-12 basketball officiating has become.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

TatetheGreat wrote:Casey Jacobsen wondering "how was this game so close with Arizona shooting 64%?" Did you watch the game, asshole?

:lol:
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

psiclist23 wrote:I rarely complain about the refs but some of those (many) were baffling. Did the refs think we were playing Duke?
AND at Duke.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Was the league trying their hardest to get Utah the best possible road sweep to help their chances of getting another tournament bid for the conference? How else do you explain that game? 22 to 15 disparity when we have Mr Get to the Line Trier and two dominant 7 footers. Really it was 22-12 when you subtract the foul on Pinder w 0.3 left and the two obvious ""lets give Arizona a few meaningless fouls late in the half when they are still way shy of the bonus so we can make the foul disparity look less obvious" calls. I would have lost my shit if we ended up losing that game.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Actually Arizona only shot 11 FTs
Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

I’m typically not a fan of the “ref(s) you suck!” cheer, but today I was yelling it, too. I’ve seen some bad crews and calls, but I’ve never witnessed anything that bad. The younger guy, especially. It almost seemed they were trying to goad our players or the crowd into doing something untoward. Trust you me, it crossed my mind. That was damned disgusting.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I was at the Oregon game earlier this year and thought it was the worst officiated game I've ever seen.

Don't know how they did it, but today was worse.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

It was like they don't know what a charge or block was and guessed in their mind. Must have had some cash on Utah +8.5
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Merkin wrote:
https://www.linkedin.com/in/scott-brown-52914771" target="_blank

Scott Brown
Director of Footwear at Adidas

Portland, Oregon AreaSporting Goods
Current
adidas, Pac-12 Conference
Previous
Under Armour, Nike, NBA G League
Education
University of Idaho
Sounds like Larry's personal hitman to me. And why is the Director of anything at Adidas officiating games featuring a school that is sponsored by Adidas' biggest rival? Anybody w any ties to shoe companies, let alone working for them, should never be officiating anything in a sport that is largely driven by shoe company money. Insane.
prh

Post by prh »

Don't forget, that guy called both of Zo's push offs. Also made a few other terrible ones that I forget. No idea why the league is sending shitty refs to high profile games (well I do but not a legit reason)
waysouthcat

Post by waysouthcat »

Gilbertcat wrote:It was like they don't know what a charge or block was and guessed in their mind. Must have had some cash on Utah +8.5
Yeah, maybe this part.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Just realized the last foul should have be double bonus but Pinder got 1 FT. Guy was terrible.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Gilbertcat wrote:Just realized the last foul should have be double bonus but Pinder got 1 FT. Guy was terrible.

They should get their pay docked for that.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

That is horrible, wonder what happens if barefield hits that prayer. Could you imagine? A situation where an official oversight actually changed the outcome of a game?
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I was curious about Pinders shots.
The screen showed double bonus but I thought announcer said it was 1and 1

I'm really surprised they didn't call Akot at the end
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

The whole thing is odd.

I’m still astonished they fell for the acting job every time there was contact.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Quite arguably the worst officiated game we've witnessed involving Arizona.

It's as though the refs are looking to level the playing field in every matchup, even though one team has more dominant players. The amount of contact that Ayton plays through every time he touches the ball is laughable. But that same contact is whistled for a foul against Arizona at the opposite end.

My instincts tell me that although the officials working these games know the rules of basketball, they've never actually played the game. So they understand the letter of the law, but not the spirit of the law. If you've played competitive basketball (and maybe even if you haven't), you should understand that there is a certain amount of contact in basketball that doesn't require a whistle. It's incidental. And an official can't allow a player to flop or play to refs to sell a call. A defender should be trying to guard a player, preventing the offensive player from either possessing the ball or scoring the ball. An official should not allow a defender to position himself in a manner to solicit a foul call. On the flip side, if an offensive player initiates contact, he should not be rewarded with a foul on the defender. An official needs to recognize this and simply let the contact go. Pac 12 refs do not understand this simple concept and come across looking like they've studied the rules but have never actually played basketball.

Thursday night in Tempe, Utah's Bibbins was whistled for an offensive foul as he simply tried to get open on an inbounds play. It was Bibbins' 5th foul and he was done. Ironically, Bibbins used the same tactic to get Trier called for an offensive foul (his 5th) on an identical play. The travesty is that the officials in both games were stupid enough to blow the whistle on the offensive player.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

a day later and upon further reflection....that was still one of the top 10(or bottom 10?) worst officiated games I've ever seen.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Triers 4th foul (the push off on a break) was the worst call I’ve seen in a long time.

Also, is the 8 offensive fouls we got a record?
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong