Goodbye Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

zonagrad

Re: Goodbye Miller

Post by zonagrad »

UALoco wrote:
zonagrad wrote:Every coach at every major program has played the same game for years. It's naive to believe otherwise. I find it comical that everyone is shocked that the truth is out that, "yes, players have actually been getting paid." And frankly, I could care less that Ayton got paid by a shoe company or an agent. Or Miles Bridges. Or Josh Jackson. Or whoever. The games are played on the court. How a player got there is irrelevant. This has been going on for decades. Coaches are guilty. Players are guilty. Parents are guilty. But somehow the NCAA and all the people who hold jobs at university athletic departments and take home six-figure salaries are clean even though they benefit financially from a system where the people who actually create the enormous revenue receive very little compensation.
but the schools that are not implicated or haven't been able to play this game (i.e. colorado) will have this over the Arizona's of the world...so it does matter..you gotta play by the rules or changes the rules.
The playing field will never be equal. A scholarship at one school isn't equal to a scholarship at another. Maybe monetarily, but not in real value. The rules are bent allowing athletes that cannot possibly qualify for Duke academically to still attend the school. A scholarship to an elite academic institution is more valuable than a full ride scholarship to a lesser school like New Mexico State. There are also benefits that go beyond money: access to employment networks, etc...

The rules need to be changed. The NCAA has created a system where the revenue producers receive only a small fraction of the wealth created.
If you want to change the rules, don't have TV networks pay billions to broadcast the games. Don't charge fans money to attend the games. Then you have true amateurism. It's a great lesson in economics.
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Macho Grande wrote:
Glass houses JET

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

From the other reports, sounds like Izzo, Bill Self, Calipari, Miller, all could be fired by season's end. Seems like pretty much every 5 star recruit at all these schools paid. Josh Jackson's recruitment alone could bring down half of college basketball.
Last edited by TheGreatCatsby on Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Please no "lets fluff the alumni" coach hire unless that person actually has the skills to run a college BB program
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Merkin wrote:
Thats part of the job description for coaches who are the "Books" at every school. The guy was apparently a loose cannon Nicky Tarantino too, the loud flashy ones are usually the ones who get snatched up first and used to take the bigger dogs down.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

UALoco wrote:I said it before, maybe not on this board, but college basketball and football should divorce the NCAA and the colleges. They should become professional minor leagues. What does that do to college sports? Make it for amateurs, real life amateurs. The schools can make some cash by licensing their brands and facilities back to the minor league teams. There, problem fixed.
I've been of the same opinion. It's a farce to admit "students" who have no interest in academics and it's exploitative not to compensate the equivalent of minor leaguers.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

zonagrad wrote:Every coach at every major program has played the same game for years. It's naive to believe otherwise. I find it comical that everyone is shocked that the truth is out that, "yes, players have actually been getting paid." And frankly, I could care less that Ayton got paid by a shoe company or an agent. Or Miles Bridges. Or Josh Jackson. Or whoever. The games are played on the court. How a player got there is irrelevant. This has been going on for decades. Coaches are guilty. Players are guilty. Parents are guilty. But somehow the NCAA and all the people who hold jobs at university athletic departments and take home six-figure salaries are clean even though they benefit financially from a system where the people who actually create the enormous revenue receive very little compensation.
I agree largely with the premise of your post... but I am not ready to dismiss responsibility for the coaches who get paid 7-figure salaries to penalize others who get paid less.

You knowingly participate in and promote a sham to make yourself rich, and you deserve all the shit that is coming your way. No matter who you are.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

UALoco wrote:
but the schools that are not implicated or haven't been able to play this game (i.e. colorado) will have this over the Arizona's of the world...so it does matter..you gotta play by the rules or changes the rules.
^^^The part in bold exactly. Not sure why it is so hard to grasp.

As for it not mattering how schools get players? If enjoyed watching a sport where the teams with the biggest payrolls contended for the championship, I'd be an NBA fan.

I hate the fucking NBA.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I get why Miller should be gone tomorrow. But the hypocrisy of all holy hell would be if Ayton gets punished.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Longhorned wrote:I get why Miller should be gone tomorrow. But the hypocrisy of all holy hell would be if Ayton gets punished.
In reality, any punishment dished out to Ayton will be meaningless in the grand scheme of things. His future will be just fine, as it should be...
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

book got the cuffs because book took the bribe money from the agent/shoe company, which is the crime. Miller "only" discussed paying recruits hundreds of thousands of dollars.

I don't see how Ayton wouldn't be suspended immediately. After the NCAA investigation concludes it is certain that any game he played in would be forfeited.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Longhorned wrote:I get why Miller should be gone tomorrow. But the hypocrisy of all holy hell would be if Ayton gets punished.
In reality, any punishment dished out to Ayton will be meaningless in the grand scheme of things. His future will be just fine, as it should be...
In grand scheme of things, yes. But this matters. And he's being singled out. Life is unfair, but this is a hell of a hypocrisy. The only thing separating Ayton from his peers is that their coaches didn't talk about this on the phone.
BibbysTowelDude

Post by BibbysTowelDude »

There is absolutely no reason to suspend Ayton at this point in the season.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RiseAndFire wrote:book got the cuffs because book took the bribe money from the agent/shoe company, which is the crime. Miller "only" discussed paying recruits hundreds of thousands of dollars.

I don't see how Ayton wouldn't be suspended immediately. After the NCAA investigation concludes it is certain that any game he played in would be forfeited.
So either we have a record in a few games or zero games? What’s the difference?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Longhorned wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
In grand scheme of things, yes. But this matters. And he's being singled out. Life is unfair, but this is a hell of a hypocrisy. The only thing separating Ayton from his peers is that their coaches didn't talk about this on the phone.
Yep. Same goes for Bowen at L'Ville. Was he aware of payments? Or just his family? And Quinnerly is now suddenly clean to attend Villanova? How long do we continue this charade?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Tbh I won't be terribly upset if Miller is gone. I've been 'appreciate the destination but am not content with the journey' guy with Miller for a while now. Hopefully we can get someone that is willing to come into this situation.
I think his time at Arizona was going to be over soon before the FBI thing, he had missed his opportunity here. Agree with those earlier SHB tweets
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Can I just say I got a Final Four my first year in college? And then they kept coming? Then they just kind of got insurmountable in spite of all the winning
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Longhorned wrote:Can I just say I got a Final Four my first year in college? And then they kept coming? Then they just kind of got insurmountable in spite of all the winning
It has been one hell of a ride, though, hasn't it?
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

This thread should be more active but the loyalists are holding out hope. God bless 'em.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Welp
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Bye
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I'm on ESPN right now and there's nothing. Where do I see this?
-JB
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

UAEebs86 wrote:I'm on ESPN right now and there's nothing. Where do I see this?
Apparently the announcers for ASU v OSU reported it? That's what some people are saying on twitter.
Last edited by Macho Grande on Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86 wrote:I'm on ESPN right now and there's nothing. Where do I see this?
I heard it during the halftime show in the OSU / ASSu game.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Not fired
walk-on-wildcat

Post by walk-on-wildcat »

You are such a tool Jimmy.....
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

azthrillhouse wrote:Basnight was right.

There isn’t enough alcohol for this level of pain.
Bazzie can drown in a floor of piss-poop.
Beefcurtainsandwich

Post by Beefcurtainsandwich »

F'ing morons.
killervibe

Post by killervibe »

Looks like ESPN’s story might be coming apart at the seams.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CollegeBasketb ... h=073f811b" target="_blank
Disclaimer: Posts may not be suitable for the overly sensitive, feebleminded, or criminally insane. In the event I offend you, please take a big step back and literally GFY.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

killervibe wrote:Looks like ESPN’s story might be coming apart at the seams.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CollegeBasketb ... h=073f811b" target="_blank
It's actually completely unravelled.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I hope to god Arizona and Miller sue the shit out of them.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

CalStateTempe wrote:I hope to god Arizona and Miller sue the shit out of them.
ESPN has been awfully quiet since shooting their wad on Friday. The fact that they quietly amended the timeline points to them not having anything else of substance. They haven't clarified how the Miller -Dawkins call was in 2016 when all the documentation shows the Dawkins taps began in 2017. They have a lot to clean up to convince me they have the story straight.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

The theory I’m now hearing is that Dawkins was going to give Miller 100k to steer ayton to ASM, which TOTALLY supports the Miller as a mole to catch a big fish theory. Miller gets wind of books, fears for his program, calls the FBI and then gets enlisted as 97 and others have alluded to. Completely makes sense.

So yes, there is a tape, but created under fbi supervision. Hence why Miller can’t say shit. And why Dawkins crew thinks they have a legitimate wiretap of Miller

ESPN is gonna be done fucked. We may lose our coach in the process (he leaves not us terminating him) but Miller and Arizona are winning this war.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

CalStateTempe wrote:The theory I’m now hearing is that Dawkins was going to give Miller 100k to steer ayton to ASM, which TOTALLY supports the Miller as a mole to catch a big fish theory. Miller gets wind of books, fears for his program, calls the FBI and then gets enlisted as 97 and others have alluded to. Completely makes sense.

So yes, there is a tape, but created under fbi supervision. Hence why Miller can’t say shit. And why Dawkins crew thinks they have a legitimate wiretap of Miller

ESPN is gonna be done fucked. We may lose our coach in the process (he leaves not us terminating him) but Miller and Arizona are winning this war.
If Miller does leave (of his own accord), here is how it should go down:

1. ESPN story is proven to be completely bogus.
2. UA and Miller sue the shit out of ESPN and every "reporter" who used the bogus story to call for Miller's head (Yeah, including the AZ Daily Star and Greg Hansen).
3. Everyone being sued knows they would get totally reamed in a civil trial, so they settle.
4. Miller walks away with a settlement in the mid-6 figure category and says "fuck you all". Oops! Edit: meant mid-9 figure settlement, as in over $200 million.
5. UA also walks away with big money to secure our next coach.

BTW, I don't think Miller's reputation would be forever tarnished. If the story does turn out to be completely false, he will come across as a hero.
Last edited by BBQ wildcat on Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

BBQ wildcat wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:The theory I’m now hearing is that Dawkins was going to give Miller 100k to steer ayton to ASM, which TOTALLY supports the Miller as a mole to catch a big fish theory. Miller gets wind of books, fears for his program, calls the FBI and then gets enlisted as 97 and others have alluded to. Completely makes sense.

2. UA and Miller sue the shit out of ESPN and every "reporter" who used the bogus story to call for Miller's head (Yeah, including the AZ Daily Star and Greg Hansen).
3. Everyone being sued knows they would get totally reamed in a civil trial, so they settle.
4. Miller walks away with a settlement in the mid-6 figure category and says "fuck you all".

BTW, I don't think Miller's reputation would be forever tarnished. If the story does turn out to be completely false, he will come across as a hero.
Totally. Especially the local media.

And when you consider a 20year BB career at a base of 3.5mill or whatever we are paying Miller plus incentives, plus damages, Miller is looking at far greater that mid six figures.

Hell mike price sued SI for 20million!!!

And Arizona should do the same for lost recruiting, lost revenue, a reputation dragged throw the mid, lost capital for infrastructure and support of other non revenue producing sports....

I’m not joking when I say if ESPN put out a false accusation as truth, that Arizona will own, OWN Bristol.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Thanks for the catch. I had meant mid-9 figure settlement.
Phylek

Post by Phylek »

Sad thing is I read it as 9 figure.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

CalStateTempe wrote:
BBQ wildcat wrote:

4. Miller walks away with a settlement in the mid-6 figure category and says "fuck you all".

Totally. Especially the local media.

And when you consider a 20year BB career at a base of 3.5mill or whatever we are paying Miller plus incentives, plus damages, Miller is looking at far greater that mid six figures.

Hell mike price sued SI for 20million!!!

And Arizona should do the same for lost recruiting, lost revenue, a reputation dragged throw the mid, lost capital for infrastructure and support of other non revenue producing sports....

I’m not joking when I say if ESPN put out a false accusation as truth, that Arizona will own, OWN Bristol.
Sweep the leg, Seanny.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

BBQ wildcat wrote:

4. Miller walks away with a settlement in the mid-6 figure category and says "fuck you all". Oops! Edit: meant mid-9 figure settlement, as in over $200 million.

I hope you're right. It would be nice to recoup some of the money we're going to have to pay out with the RR law suits.