Deandre Ayton

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Beefcurtainsandwich

Re: Deandre Ayton

Post by Beefcurtainsandwich »

DiehardDave37 wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
Longhorned wrote:That was the best half I've ever seen by an Arizona player. Ever.
DWill vs. Dook says hi
That's exactly what I was thinking, Olson Dogg. That is probably my favorite game. Coach K goes in at haltime and devises a way to stop DWill and actually does. But the rest of the team kills them. Beautiful! Could not have been scripted better. :D
It's a very close call between the 2.
If we had guards worth a damn Ayton could have completed the 36/20 for the win
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Imagine him with TJ?
Beefcurtainsandwich

azgreg wrote:Imagine him with TJ?
Oh my God
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Beefcurtainsandwich wrote:
DiehardDave37 wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
Longhorned wrote:That was the best half I've ever seen by an Arizona player. Ever.
DWill vs. Dook says hi
That's exactly what I was thinking, Olson Dogg. That is probably my favorite game. Coach K goes in at haltime and devises a way to stop DWill and actually does. But the rest of the team kills them. Beautiful! Could not have been scripted better. :D
It's a very close call between the 2.
If we had guards worth a damn Ayton could have completed the 36/20 for the win
Wish that you all could have all seen Bob Elliott go off for 38 and 25 against a then very good ASU team back in his Freshman season. Imagines Ayton's first half yesterday for both halves.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

I would love to see Ayton stick it to ESPN on draft night and every night after in what will soon be a brilliant professional career. He can do it with class and tact but still embarrass the network.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

What I wish would happen....DeAndre and his parents hold a news conference saying that they will be filing a $100 M lawsuit against Disney and ESPN for damages of future earning and the value of potentially being named player of the year because of the article that names him as complict in solicting money to sign with Az.. I would then tell them that I will not file the lawsuit if they publish a complete retraction of the story. Disney would have 30 days to make up its mind before this lawsuit is filed. I would then tell them "You are on the clock"

While that sounds far fetched believe me when I tell you that would get their Legal team to weigh in and decide if they should risk this for a writer who has made basic mistakes in reporting. I understand the libel law uphill consideration but you are still risking a ruling that you would not like. I also think you can prove that $100M is a reasonable number for a professional basketball player to ask for.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

TheCat wrote:What I wish would happen....DeAndre and his parents hold a news conference saying that they will be filing a $100 M lawsuit against Disney and ESPN for damages of future earning and the value of potentially being named player of the year because of the article that names him as complict in solicting money to sign with Az.. I would then tell them that I will not file the lawsuit if they publish a complete retraction of the story. Disney would have 30 days to make up its mind before this lawsuit is filed. I would then tell them "You are on the clock"

While that sounds far fetched believe me when I tell you that would get their Legal team to weigh in and decide if they should risk this for a writer who has made basic mistakes in reporting. I understand the libel law uphill consideration but you are still risking a ruling that you would not like. I also think you can prove that $100M is a reasonable number for a professional basketball player to ask for.
ESPN would laugh heartily at that lawsuit and beg them to file it so it would have to go to discovery where all the dirtiness of college basketball would be brought to light. Then a judge would almost immediately dismiss it.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

UAEebs86 wrote:
I like how even Arizona Athletics recognizes Ayton is gone.
GTownCat

Post by GTownCat »

Passed Bayless (592) for all-time freshman scoring record w/ total now at 616. Good stuff man. Congrats
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Yeeeeees! Thecat is back!
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Got to shake his hand as he ran threw the crowd after the game. Dude is big
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

So when do they announce Pac POY and FOY? I think our big man is going to get some good news this week.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote:So when do they announce Pac POY and FOY? I think our big man is going to get some good news this week.
Tomorrow
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:So when do they announce Pac POY and FOY? I think our big man is going to get some good news this week.
Tomorrow
Thanks! Unless I'm mistaken, AZ's never had a freshman win POY.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Under the tutelage of Lute Olson, Elliott was named Pac-10 Freshman of the Year. He was selected as a consensus all-American during his junior and senior years, and led the Wildcats to the Final Four in his junior year (1988).
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

They asked Miller if Holliday had a chance for POY and he said unanimous. I don't think he was speaking about the UCLA guy
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Jason Gardner was national freshman POY, thus making him eligible for jersey retirement. Not sure who won the PAC that year, but you would think they national FPOY would win his own conference.

But don't think any frosh has won national POY for Arizona.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote:
But don't think any frosh has won national POY for Arizona.
I don't think so either. It's pretty remarkable, given the freshmen we've had. Even just in the Miller era.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pac-12_Co ... f_the_Year" target="_blank

Only freshman to win it.

1995–96 Shareef Abdur-Hiram California
2007–08 Kevin Love UCLA
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pac-12_Co ... f_the_Year" target="_blank

Only freshman to win PAC-12 POY.

1995–96 Shareef Abdur-Hiram California
2007–08 Kevin Love UCLA
Last edited by azgreg on Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

That is crazy. I'm guessing the old Pac 10 had at least a few, though?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Naismith College Player of the Year

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naismith_ ... f_the_Year" target="_blank

2007 Kevin Durant Texas
2012 Anthony Davis Kentucky
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Beachcat97 wrote:That is crazy. I'm guessing the old Pac 10 had at least a few, though?
The PAC didn't start the POY until 1975.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

azgreg wrote:Naismith College Player of the Year

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naismith_ ... f_the_Year" target="_blank

2007 Kevin Durant Texas
2012 Anthony Davis Kentucky
I think Ayton is probably trailing Brunson, but I definitely thing our guy is ahead of Young now.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

azgreg wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:That is crazy. I'm guessing the old Pac 10 had at least a few, though?
Got it. That makes more sense. I'm guessing Alcindor and Walton would've won.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Beachcat97 wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Got it. That makes more sense. I'm guessing Alcindor and Walton would've won.

Freshman couldn't play back then.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

azcat49 wrote:They asked Miller if Holliday had a chance for POY and he said unanimous. I don't think he was speaking about the UCLA guy
Do coaches vote? Usually they can't vote for their own?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I took it as he couldn't vote for Ayton and that all the others would vote him. He may have been posturing a bit but it does seem most of the coaches have acknowledged how much they have to game plan against him
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Just putting this out there: is Ayton the best Pac freshman of the modern era?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Beachcat97 wrote:Just putting this out there: is Ayton the best Pac freshman of the modern era?
Ayton is the best player you've ever seen in the PAC 12.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:Just putting this out there: is Ayton the best Pac freshman of the modern era?
Most talented by a fair margin.

In terms of best play, I think Love and Bibby are in the conversation. Ayton is better than Love. Bibby is so apples to oranges, it's hard. That would be my top three of the modern era, depending on what you consider modern. Gordon would be close here. Abdur-Rahim was really good at Cal. Bayless had numbers, but...
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

In terms of best play, I think Love and Bibby are in the conversation. Ayton is better than Love. Bibby is so apples to oranges, it's hard. That would be my top three of the modern era, depending on what you consider modern. Gordon would be close here. Abdur-Rahim was really good at Cal. Bayless had numbers, but...
Love and Bibby both led their teams to a FF, the latter all the way to a natty. So unless Ayton does something in that ballpark, I think he may fall just a tad beneath these two.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Love and Bibby both led their teams to a FF, the latter all the way to a natty. So unless Ayton does something in that ballpark, I think he may fall just a tad beneath these two.
Yeah, but look at who they had around them. Sub Ayton in for Bramlett and let us play Terry instead of Bibby. That team could win a natty easily. If Ayton had Collison and Westbrook in the backcourt, I could coach that team.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Yeah, but look at who they had around them. Sub Ayton in for Bramlett and let us play Terry instead of Bibby. That team could win a natty easily. If Ayton had Collison and Westbrook in the backcourt, I could coach that team.
True, but if we were to go back and look at what JT, Collison, and Westbrook were projected to become, back when they were still in college, it changes things. Only RW was thought to be an excellent pro prospect. Terry was a sophomore on our '97 title time, 4th leading scorer on the team. Few could've predicted he was an eventual Pac POY and a two-decade NBA player.

My point is that we could get to the FF this year, with Trier and/or Rawle going on to become legendary college players the same way that Terry and Collison did. If our current guards have the best three week stretch of their college careers beginning this week, they'll be remembered in the same way as these others.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Deandre Ayton | Arizona
7-0 | Fr. | C

Overall ranking: No. 1

All the turmoil around Arizona seems only to have lit a fire underneath Ayton, and he has responded with arguably the best two games of his season in the past 10 days.

After canvassing most of the league in recent weeks, there seems to be somewhat of a consensus forming around Ayton as the "safe pick" at No. 1. Which team ends up getting the pick will obviously play a role, but Ayton's sheer productivity combined with his freakish physical tools are making it increasingly difficult to keep Luka Doncic up top, especially after a somewhat lackluster month of February by his standards.

For a more detailed look at Ayton's strengths, weaknesses, background and more, make sure you check out our deep dive on the Bahamas native from two weeks ago. --Jonathan Givony
http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_ ... rs-top-100" target="_blank
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Main Event wrote:
Ayton now eligible for Ring of Honor / Jersey Retirement, correct?
bri

Post by bri »

Main Event wrote:
Deandre Ayton | Arizona
7-0 | Fr. | C

Overall ranking: No. 1

All the turmoil around Arizona seems only to have lit a fire underneath Ayton, and he has responded with arguably the best two games of his season in the past 10 days.

After canvassing most of the league in recent weeks, there seems to be somewhat of a consensus forming around Ayton as the "safe pick" at No. 1. Which team ends up getting the pick will obviously play a role, but Ayton's sheer productivity combined with his freakish physical tools are making it increasingly difficult to keep Luka Doncic up top, especially after a somewhat lackluster month of February by his standards.

For a more detailed look at Ayton's strengths, weaknesses, background and more, make sure you check out our deep dive on the Bahamas native from two weeks ago. --Jonathan Givony
http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_ ... rs-top-100" target="_blank
F*ck that rag
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Main Event wrote:
Nice. Trier's omission from even their Third Team is a head scratcher though.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Main Event wrote:
Ring of Honor yeah, Jersey Retirement he should be by the time they finish announcing all the all american teams
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Bluiett over Trier is a travesty that I hope we don't see repeated.

Reminder that Trier shot 50 / 40 / 85 on the season with a 67.6% True Shooting (as a fucking guard) putting up 19ppg. That's a 131 ORTg.

I honestly don't think that's ever happened in college basketball.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

YoDeFoe wrote:Bluiett over Trier is a travesty that I hope we don't see repeated.

Reminder that Trier shot 50 / 40 / 85 on the season with a 67.6% True Shooting (as a fucking guard) putting up 19ppg. That's a 131 ORTg.

I honestly don't think that's ever happened in college basketball.
Yep. Makes no sense.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Trier's PED issue is a scarlet letter. And the FBI/Miller stuff doesn't help. Ayton was a no brained. But Trier isn't going to get the benefit of doubt.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

zonagrad wrote:Trier's PED issue is a scarlet letter. And the FBI/Miller stuff doesn't help. Ayton was a no brained. But Trier isn't going to get the benefit of doubt.
If that's the truth it's incredibly unfair.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

YoDeFoe wrote:
zonagrad wrote:Trier's PED issue is a scarlet letter. And the FBI/Miller stuff doesn't help. Ayton was a no brained. But Trier isn't going to get the benefit of doubt.
If that's the truth it's incredibly unfair.
It's life. And media types like to punish people.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Awesome. He lived up to his billing in a major way. Best freshman in program history.
Beefcurtainsandwich

Beachcat97 wrote:Awesome. He lived up to his billing in a major way. Best freshman in program history.
Without a doubt.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Main Event wrote:
At one time, I think it had to be a consensus, like 3 or more of the reputable media.