South Region: #4 Seed

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

rgdeuce

Re: South Region: #4 Seed

Post by rgdeuce »

84Cat wrote:
BearDown89 wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Amazing, BD. Have fun! Bear down!
Pumped! Had zero expectation of this happening this week and then all hell broke loose Sunday evening. Free open practice at 5:00 this afternoon. Gonna skip the gym and head over probably.

Wednesday practices
▪ 11 a.m. UNC Greensboro, 11:45 a.m. South Dakota State, 12:30 p.m. Gonzaga, 1:15 p.m. Ohio State, 3:25 p.m. Kentucky, 4:10 p.m. Arizona, 4:55 p.m. Davidson, 5:40 p.m. Buffalo. Practices at Taco Bell Arena are open to the public and free.

Thursday games
▪ No. 4 Gonzaga vs. No. 13 UNC Greensboro in the West Region, 11:30 a.m. (TNT)
▪ No. 5 Ohio State vs. No. 12 South Dakota State in the West Region, approximately 2 p.m. (TNT)
▪ No. 5 seed Kentucky vs. No. 12 Davidson in the South Region, 5:10 p.m. (CBS)
▪ No. 4 Arizona vs. No. 13 Buffalo in the South Region, approximately 7:40 p.m. (CBS)
I'm officially jelly. Have fun and BTFD! I remember when we had games at McKale, saw Tim Duncan one year and watched him drain 10 3's in a row after practice.
I was at those games too. Several other good players from those games: Keith Van Horn, Michael Doleac, Brevin Knight, Mark Madsen, Eduardo Najera, and our own Loren Woods was playing for Wake Forest with Duncan as well.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:
I'm still confident because I have no idea what the word heuristic means. There's only one Ristic, and he plays for us.
jajoyce

Post by jajoyce »

NYCat wrote:

I wish I could just fast forward our games this weekend. I like watching the first two rounds, but my heart cannot take our games.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

jajoyce wrote:
NYCat wrote:

I wish I could just fast forward our games this weekend. I like watching the first two rounds, but my heart cannot take our games.
I am going to eventually reach an age where I have to stop watching some of our tournament games or I will give myself a heart attack. Hopefully the devil's grass will be legal for all by that time.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
NYCat wrote:
I'm still confident because I have no idea what the word heuristic means. There's only one Ristic, and he plays for us.
:D :lol: :lol:
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

So basically, that math gives Arizona only a 40% chance to beat Buffalo. That makes us underdogs. Maybe some magic will happen and Arizona will prevail.
BE4RDOWN21

Post by BE4RDOWN21 »

With Boise's elevation being similar to that of Tucson at about 2700 (Tucson 2400), do you think this might be an issue for Buffalo (600)?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Tomorrow is going to be another of those days when I get jack and shit done at work.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

BE4RDOWN21 wrote:With Boise's elevation being similar to that of Tucson at about 2700 (Tucson 2400), do you think this might be an issue for Buffalo (600)?
For sure, under normal circumstances. But in the NCAA tourney, things like altitude and time zone and flight duration mix together with all matter of immeasurable craziness and explode into an unpredictable mess. Even if Nate Silver thinks he can plug it all into a formula.
jajoyce

Post by jajoyce »

azgreg wrote:Tomorrow is going to be another of those days when I get jack and shit done at work.
I just decided to say screw it and take the day off. I can actually accomplish more at home through emails than trying to keep closing the door in my office and "hiding" the games constantly.
prh

Post by prh »

I work from home to begin with but everyone knows I'm not working tomorrow at all. Unfortunately, I'm in a corporate member TopGolf tournament starting an hour before the game. Odds are good we are eliminated early and I can make it home by tip or soon after
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I'll be on the campus of the Crying Illini.

Yesterday I asked my students here to raise their hands if they've never heard of March Madness, and about a quarter of them hadn't.

So I said, "Why would you? Illinois didn't come close to qualifying for the NCAA tourney."

Then a student asked me if Illinois had ever qualified for it.

"No," I responded.

And so there you have it. From this generation forward, all of our bad memories are erased from history.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Longhorned wrote:I'll be on the campus of the Crying Illini.

Yesterday I asked my students here to raise their hands if they've never heard of March Madness, and about a quarter of them hadn't.

So I said, "Why would you? Illinois didn't come close to qualifying for the NCAA tourney."

"No," I responded.

And so there you have it. From this generation forward, all of our bad memories are erased from history.
Someone needs to update Wikipedia quickly...... then delete this post right after.....it's the only way!
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

BE4RDOWN21 wrote:With Boise's elevation being similar to that of Tucson at about 2700 (Tucson 2400), do you think this might be an issue for Buffalo (600)?
Doubtful, you really don’t see an effect on athletic performance until you get up around 4500/5000.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

azgreg wrote:Tomorrow is going to be another of those days when I get jack and shit done at work.
It's already started for me. Geek mode has taken over. The office is laughing at me so I'm going to practice . . .
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Longhorned wrote:So basically, that math gives Arizona only a 40% chance to beat Buffalo. That makes us underdogs. Maybe some magic will happen and Arizona will prevail.
:lol:

Hey, if we lose to Buffalo, it would fit snugly within this year's turbulent narrative. If we beat them, it'll be the first step towards redemption.

Whichever way it goes, it's been a good ride this year. I love Coach Miller. Love our seniors. Love Trier and Rawle. And of course, love our big man.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Obama picks UA over UK!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote:Obama picks UA over UK!
That's because my guy Barack knows what the hell he's talking about!

The rest of his bracket sucks, though. :lol:
Phylek

Post by Phylek »

"No," I responded.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Educators do not get paid enough.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

"No," I responded.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

This post is a mic-dropper.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

"No," I responded.

Erased, whew. Thanks, LH.

Quarter of your students haven't heard of March Madness? That's a high grade, as I'd expect from the art history kids. I heard 87% of studio art students didn't. Those painting, drawing, sculpture twinkies are always out there in space.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

EOCT wrote:

"No," I responded.

Erased, whew. Thanks, LH.

Quarter of your students haven't heard of March Madness? That's a high grade, as I'd expect from the art history kids. I heard 87% of studio art students didn't. Those painting, drawing, sculpture twinkies are always out there in space.
:lol:

It's a big Gen Ed requirement class, so they're from all over campus. Goes to show you what happens to basketball culture on campuses that plunge into irrelevance. Let's keep up that continuity of the tradition of Snowden and Olson. Survive and advance is about more than just any year's tourney.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

BE4RDOWN21 wrote:
But if you look at it from this perspective, He is also an employee of the University, and as an Employee of the University,isn't your primary goal to prepare students for life after school a la their careers?
Not to stay on this silly topic but lol. You think the 4 months he gets with these players affects their career in any way? Lol
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

SunnyAZ wrote:
BE4RDOWN21 wrote:
But if you look at it from this perspective, He is also an employee of the University, and as an Employee of the University,isn't your primary goal to prepare students for life after school a la their careers?
Not to stay on this silly topic but lol. You think the 4 months he gets with these players affects their career in any way? Lol
Calipari is a glorified D-league coach.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

They are locked in.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Another 25 minutes and I'm out of work until Tuesday.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Merkin wrote:Obama picks UA over UK!
That's because my guy Barack knows what the hell he's talking about!

The rest of his bracket sucks, though. :lol:
No kidding. The entire Sweet 16 is chalk other than 5 seed WVU. Come on Barry. As a b-ball fan you know better.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote:
NOOOOO!!!!!

Please let Ayton wear his old comfy shoes. Don't want any more shoe problems!

btfd16 wrote: No kidding. The entire Sweet 16 is chalk other than 5 seed WVU. Come on Barry. As a b-ball fan you know better.
Being that he used to play a bit with UNC, thought for sure would have them going all the way.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

rgdeuce wrote:
84Cat wrote:
BearDown89 wrote:
Pumped! Had zero expectation of this happening this week and then all hell broke loose Sunday evening. Free open practice at 5:00 this afternoon. Gonna skip the gym and head over probably.

Wednesday practices
▪ 11 a.m. UNC Greensboro, 11:45 a.m. South Dakota State, 12:30 p.m. Gonzaga, 1:15 p.m. Ohio State, 3:25 p.m. Kentucky, 4:10 p.m. Arizona, 4:55 p.m. Davidson, 5:40 p.m. Buffalo. Practices at Taco Bell Arena are open to the public and free.

Thursday games
▪ No. 5 Ohio State vs. No. 12 South Dakota State in the West Region, approximately 2 p.m. (TNT)
▪ No. 4 Arizona vs. No. 13 Buffalo in the South Region, approximately 7:40 p.m. (CBS)
I'm officially jelly. Have fun and BTFD! I remember when we had games at McKale, saw Tim Duncan one year and watched him drain 10 3's in a row after practice.
I was at those games too. Several other good players from those games: Keith Van Horn, Michael Doleac, Brevin Knight, Mark Madsen, Eduardo Najera, and our own Loren Woods was playing for Wake Forest with Duncan as well.
I had picked my roommate up at the airport and was driving back home in (cough) 1991 when we drove up Campbell and saw all the craziness for the 2nd round games that day. We made a snap decision to pull over at the Burger King (now Wendy's) and see what the scalp market was. $35 each, uppers but not bad.

Michigan State and Steve Smith went to multiple OTs with Utah (Josh Grant?). Then the marquee...

The 1991 UNLV team (with everyone) vs Georgetown with Mutumbo and Mourning. G'Town held close as an 8/9 seed, but UNLV won 68-60.

It was worth the $35 (adj for inflation = $10,000 USD 2018).
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

EVCat wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:
84Cat wrote:
BearDown89 wrote:

Wednesday practices

Thursday games
I had picked my roommate up at the airport and was driving back home in (cough) 1991 when we drove up Campbell and saw all the craziness for the 2nd round games that day. We made a snap decision to pull over at the Burger King (now Wendy's) and see what the scalp market was. $35 each, uppers but not bad.

Michigan State and Steve Smith went to multiple OTs with Utah (Josh Grant?). Then the marquee...

The 1991 UNLV team (with everyone) vs Georgetown with Mutumbo and Mourning. G'Town held close as an 8/9 seed, but UNLV won 68-60.

It was worth the $35 (adj for inflation = $10,000 USD 2018).
Yes, I was there too! Mutumbo, Mourning and John Thompson. I remember that. Then I got married in April and left Tucson forever more.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Merkin wrote:
azgreg wrote:
NOOOOO!!!!!

Please let Ayton wear his old comfy shoes. Don't want any more shoe problems!
Just got back from practice at Taco Bell. Basically a glorified shoot around. Ayton had his one shoe off and was messing around with it less than 5 minutes in. Then with about 5 minutes left in the session he came to the sideline and took both shoes off. Went back out and finished shooting in his socks.

He doesn't seem to be messing with his feet though, just the shoes. My daughter and I figured it must be that he's an island boy and doesn't like wearing shoes.

Also, my seats are freaking awesome.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

BearDown89 wrote:Just got back from practice at Taco Bell. Basically a glorified shoot around. Ayton had his one shoe off and was messing around with it less than 5 minutes in. Then with about 5 minutes left in the session he came to the sideline and took both shoes off. Went back out and finished shooting in his socks.

He doesn't seem to be messing with his feet though, just the shoes. My daughter and I figured it must be that he's an island boy and doesn't like wearing shoes.

Love these notes. Congrats on the seats!!
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Well at least 538 isn't trying to jinx us!
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Alone again, naturally.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

so technically this is the 2nd time in the last 6 years the Pac 12 has only had 1 tournament team (in the actual 64 team tournament).
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

this post is unreal

"No," I responded.

:lol: :lol:
BearDown89 wrote:
Just got back from practice at Taco Bell. Basically a glorified shoot around. Ayton had his one shoe off and was messing around with it less than 5 minutes in. Then with about 5 minutes left in the session he came to the sideline and took both shoes off. Went back out and finished shooting in his socks.

Thx for these updates - have a great time
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

"No," I responded.

What is wrong with the youth of today if 25% of college students haven't heard of March Madness? What do these people spend their lives doing? Video games? Human interaction about non-sports topic?

We had better hope we never get invaded with this crop of kids.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

"No," I responded.

What is wrong with the youth of today if 25% of college students haven't heard of March Madness? What do these people spend their lives doing? Video games? Human interaction about non-sports topic?

They and millennials(the kids in college now are post millennials) will be the ones rebuilding the smoking ruins left by baby boomers so don't get too judgemental. That said...there's just more to do today than even 15 years ago. A lot more options for time spending/wasting and entertainment. Sports are only one of a ton of things to do. Back in the day you could drink or go to sporting events in college or a combo of the two and now there's just a lot competing for the attention of people.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
SteveKerrsStroke

Post by SteveKerrsStroke »

Those videos are phenomenal

Highlights:
Coach Cal being a G
Dre not knowing who Chris Webber is
Questions about if he ever followed March Madness and if his Mom was coming

Also.. Did I hear right when one of the reporters asked Dusan about his thoughts on the student walk out and gun violence? So random :lol:
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I didn't have the sound on, but what's the deal with the PB&J? They only had $10 lunch budget for everyone?

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote:
I didn't have the sound on, but what's the deal with the PB&J? They only had $10 lunch budget for everyone?

PBJ in the locker room is an NBA thing. Started with Garnet and the Celtics but is long since league-wide, and now in NCAA. It’s a part of basketball, especially pre-game. And it isn’t ironic. Players LOVE their PBJ and would revolt if it weren’t available in the locker room.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Pbj is the perfect high energy pregame snack.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Checking in here at the office this morning before heading over to Taco Bell in a bit. Figured out that the practice at Taco Bell yesterday was really just a light fan/media event. Teams are holding closed practices at local high schools. Makes sense.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

The base of today's kit. Calling it the Rawle1.

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

"No," I responded.

They and millennials(the kids in college now are post millennials) will be the ones rebuilding the smoking ruins left by baby boomers so don't get too judgemental. That said...there's just more to do today than even 15 years ago. A lot more options for time spending/wasting and entertainment. Sports are only one of a ton of things to do. Back in the day you could drink or go to sporting events in college or a combo of the two and now there's just a lot competing for the attention of people.
Any group of people where 1/4 are unaware of the NCAA tournament is a group I will hate on. There are more options, but in God's plan for us, the NCAA tournament comes first. Those who reject the tournament have forgotten the face of their Father.